XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 03:45:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  All
  Print  
Author Topic: USB Clock Upgrade My Experiences (so far)  (Read 197780 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2013, 11:01:13 pm »

I did not know whether to open a new thread with this or whether to respond under the "hunting for noise" thread anyway please move it Peter if you need to.

This post relates my experiences changing the standard cheapo 24Mhz clocks in the PC and NOS1 interfaces to high quality clocks. By some amazing co-incidence Mani dropped in for a quick visit at just the right time and was able to hear the results of the first part of the test and so I am sure he will add a short note about what he heard.

Regular readers will know that recently I went over to Nick's to listen to his system and in particular to listen to the impact of installing high quality clocks in the USB link from PC to NOS1. Nick's experiences have been posted elsewhere but since that visit I took the plunge and ordered a high quality Dexa clock of the 24Mhz variety. My thinking was that I had already invested in a Paul Pang USB3 pcie card (low jitter) for the PC end and so I would not need to go to the expense of a Dexa for the PC end would I?

So on to PART 1 of the test - Leaving the USB clock in NOS1 untouched I took a stock USB3 pcie card and removed the quartz clock and the 2 caps that are strapped across the clock leads and connected the Dexa clock powered by its dedicated high quality power supply. The Paul Pang low jitter pcie card had previously provided a welcome improvement and I really did not think that using a stock pcie card clocked with the Dexa would make much difference. Well I was wrong the Dexa powered pcie card sounded MUCH better.  When I first listened I thought there was less treble - but I soon realised that the treble was much smoother and more detailed. Going back to the PP card the treble sounded 'splashy' and ill defined less precise. Drums and symbols became grey and less precise in the mix. The mids with the PP card sounded 'grey' lacking tonal colour compared with the Dexa. Bass I would say sounded maybe slightly more controlled with the Dexa but no big difference really to my ears. But the biggest surprise of all was just how much better the Dexa clocked pcie sounded than the (already good) Paul Pang card. As mentioned above Mani heard that comparison so over to you Mani.

PART 2 this is where the fun really starts. I was already really enjoying much improved sound (I hope Mani agees!!) with the dexa clocked pcie card but I took a big plunge and ordered a second 24Mhz Dexa clock for the NOS1 end of the USB link. That is significant money for me I have to say. Especially as I was REALLY happy with the sound of the Dexa pcie card so I did wonder if it was possible to improve the sound quality further - but there again I had already heard what happened to Nicks system with this change so I took the plunge.

Making changes to SMD's on the NOS1 is not for the faint hearted a screw up there and it is big bucks to fix - there would also be the very considerable embarrassment of returning NOS1 to Peter for repair. I am sure that eventuality would have also cost me a bottle of whisky ha ha. Anyway having already honed my SMD skills on old boards lying around and then finally on the pcie card I dived into the NOS1. After a short nerve wracked time period I connected up NOS1 with Dexa clock running. So starting everything up in the right sequence I sat back to listen and all I can say is WOW what a difference. The already very good bass (and oh boy have I spent serious time getting the bass right in my system/room) was REALLY improved. Suddenly bass had real attack and speed and really excellent control (which are all qualities I thought it had before). But that was just for starters the already improved detail and subtly in the sound took another big step up. Also the tonal quality of the sound just superb. But what is really impressive is that sound just moves to a completely new level in sounding REAL and PALPABLE. Those are qualities I just do not get used to every day I switch on listen and smile. Put an album on, any album and I just do not want to take it off.

Vocals are just incredible - crystal clear - changing from Dexa pcie back to normal USB at the PC end and it sounds as though the singer has developed a lisp.

BUT a note of caution I found that the Dexa's need days to run in before they lose a slight hard edge. Even though the improvements were clear to start with there was a hard edge (also a tad hard and loud) but those problems start to disappear rapidly as the Dexa's burn in. Two nights brought about significant improvement but apparently 7-10 days are needed for best results.  I got to three days before a Dexa PS failed and the sound was getting to be truly magical.

Now as mentioned one of my Dexa power supply units failed after a few days so now I am listening to Dexa NOS1 and Paul Pang pcie (whilst a replacement unit wings its way over from Denmark). Now that should make me happy shouldn't it?  after all these are the best sounds I have heard in my system as of a few days ago. Well no I just cannot get used to the drop in sound quality NOT having Dexa's at both ends. It is really hard to go back. The sound is grey and flat now. The bass is just not in the same league. I cannot wait to get that replacement PS.

With 2 Dexa I can only describe the sound as sheer magic. I have not heard anything like it anywhere. IMHO now is the first time I have really heard what NOS1 and XX are capable of. And what I hear is something I have never heard from any source anywhere - nothing I have heard comes close it sounds that good.

So am I right in what I hear? well I cannot measure anything and why would improving the USB clocks make such a difference? That would take some thinking about but all I can say is something in a USB link with cheap clocks just cannot be working well - and maybe (as Nick pointed out) when we heard USB3 sounding better than USB2 there is a clue.

A note of caution. I can only relay my experiences with my system in this house my ears etc etc maybe some proper engineering and understanding needs to be applied. Dexa's are expensive maybe there is a better cheaper answer (Crystek PLEASE make a 24Mhz crystal). For sure though this is a revelation.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 11:51:21 pm »

Thanks Paul, great post. How much do those clocks cost?

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2013, 12:14:59 am »

Thanks for the review Paul I believe you and Nick are on to something...

This is unfortunately a rather expensive upgrade. From the newclassd site the neurronstar is 430 euro and the psu 215 euro. But then again it makes much more sense to spend you x-mas bonus on two clocks than on any other part (like an expensive usb cable) if you feel to spend it on audio.

Keep the good stuff coming!

Regards,  Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
brunok
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 01:37:14 am »

Greetings:
Partsconnexion has a sale on the neutron dexa 24 and PS @ $399 USD per set.  I hope I'm allowed to say that?!

Regards to all
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2013, 01:50:38 am »

Welcome brunok! Yes, you are right about the price in the Partsconnexion: http://www.partsconnexion.com/digital_dexans.html

Best regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2013, 08:35:53 am »

That's more like it!

I can't see an orderable 24MHz clock though....

Regards, Coen

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2013, 09:03:13 am »

No problem with 24Mhz they are not shown on the site but can be ordered as a "special" - actually it seems they are kept in stock.

I don't know what other options are available out there for 24Mhz clocks but for sure the Dexa's work well here.

As I said above the mods are not for the feint of heart and I learned a few lessons on the way so if anyone decides to go for it drop me a PM I can save you some potential problems with a couple of simple tricks. The first would be to get hold of a pcie card that has a surface mount crystal which is much easier to remove than the bigger metal can crystals which are not easy to remove without trashing the pcie card.

Also both Nick and I have made some other mods to the USB board which Nick detailed elsewhere on the blog mainly to with distributing capacitance. So at this stage neither of us can say for sure what the mods would do to a standard NOS1 although I would have to think that it could only be good!

Also I have been somewhat reticent to post about this because mods like this should first be looked at by Peter properly from an engineering point of view and there is a very real possibility of damaging NOS1 with the modification. So even now I wonder if I should have posted.

Incidentally I have another standard NOS1 here that I shall soon be applying the clock mod to so I will be able to report on that as soon as I get another pair of Dexa's.

Last night I sitting listening to my system with only one Dexa at NOS1 and wondering where the bass went. I cannot imagine what this mod will sound like with the Orelino - a mouthwatering prospect. But come January I shall be going to Mani's to hear would the modded NOS1 sounds like with Orelino's. Now there's a thought.

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2013, 09:40:59 am »

Hi Paul,

Apparently there is great merit in upgrading the clock on both ends of the USB link. I feel that the XX software based compensation of clock imperfection will have its limits and that the last mile only can be addressed with hardware.

Anyway I wondered how you connected the PSU mains and where you placed the PSU. Also the Neutronstar board seems quite large. Does it come with mounting stuts?

regards, Coen

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2013, 09:44:08 am »

That's more like it!

I can't see an orderable 24MHz clock though....

Regards, Coen

Coen, All,

I was in correspondence with dexa some time ago to ask if they could supply 24mhz. I mentioned that there may be a few orders to follow  Happy

Having used other clocks previously currently the neutron star is my favourite clock type right now hence the selection despite its price. This is due to its transformer decoupling and subjective performance. The dexa nutrino looks good also. Either should be straight forward to apply.

Be aware that there are still some small factors that need further understanding regarding the two clock set up which might lead to slight sound quality issues. I am thinking about how to address these which may change the implementation and i'll post with an approach if I can solve them.

To obtain the balanced sound quality improvement from the clocks, my view is that the mods to the usb board that I posted about in the hunting for noise thread will be needed which Paul has applied.
I had not really wanted to encourage people to go down the clock and interface modification route due to the risk of damaging a NOS1 and the  issues that this could cause for Peter. For those who intend to go ahead anyway, I would be happy to provide the advice and guidance provided to Paul on how to implement.

Regards.

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2013, 10:08:31 am »

Hey Paul,

Of course this deserves a new topic. I mean, once you are ahead of Nick don't burry it in any of his.
grazy

Crazy stuff which I think deserves real thorough investigation. This time with the notice that when this indeed works out for the (so much) better, we should not only be applying this to the NOS1 but also to the XXHighEnd PC.

Uhm, before I forget, Nick, you as the originator should be thanked once again; but next time spend less money on cars and more on clocks in it. I recall the price of the clock in our Maserati ...
So Paul spends his money where it should go. Clocks. And without clocks no 0-60 timing either.
Btw, it is of course a secret that I have a Dexa laying around for maybe 3 years by now. Yea, wrong frequency (22.xxx).

wackowackowacko

Ok, I don't see how this works but something must be going on. Of course I warn for the only-more-noise and your description Paul does not take that out. But I also don't have a reason not to believe you, nor do I have a reason to doubt your ears which always are bigger. So I think it is time ...

It is time that you drop yourself and your NOS1 plus PCie card on a plane so we can compare a bit here and hook up some measurement. The best what could happen is that all shows the same (but still sounds better), not believing in that it can show better. Worse it can though and when still sounding better we should reason out why and whether we could be fooling ourselves.

Assuming for now it works out, a next NOS1 upgrade is due. That apart (and as the usual message goes) we will be able to obtain the Dexa's at a far better price (which actually has already been arranged for these few years ago).
But more possibilities exist, if only this really works.

What I really want to say is : Since you, Paul, and Nick spend this crazy time (and money) of which I know is of course for yourselves but with in mind the "for all", I should now be following up on this seriously.

So what do you say ?
If it is easy to drag Nick along, please Nick, don't hesitate. It's only that I know Paul's Whiskey habits and I will be prepared for that.

I hope that at least the major part of this post looks serious enough ...
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2013, 10:34:33 am »

Hi Peter - I would be delighted to come over with modified NOS1 and modified pcie card oh and of course that bottle of scotch (ha ha I knew one way or another this was going to cost me a bottle of scotch).

And Peter I understand your point that more noise cannot be precluded just yet - but in the absence of further information my ears are telling me "much less jitter" but hey what do I know?

Anyway big thanks as you say to Nick because he started all this and actually much of my system is down to Nick (including bridged GC amp).

I will speak to Nick today to find out what days he can make it and I will PM you.

Cheers

Paul

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2013, 11:18:55 am »

Paul/Nick/Peter,

I would be most interested if the PPAstudio card could be measured as well...just to see if there is a difference to the mobo port or the dexa modified card..

Peter, I have my oscilloscope here but I am quite sure that 0.5mV vertical sensitivity is not a low enough noise floor for the measurements you propose.  Is that correct?

Cheers,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 01:19:41 pm »

Anthony,

A bit difficult to answer;
If this is measured "rawly" on the USB cable your 0.5mV will probably show something but you won't be able to recognize anything of it. And, maybe in relation to another USB connection in the PC you may find a difference, but you still won't be knowing what you are looking at and what's the reference. Additionally it won't tell much because it is all how the NOS1 "rejects" it and that now is related to so many things that I can't predict it. For example, your PPAStudio should not behave differently from any other USB connection (but still it can) while I expect the Dexa solution to behave differently in the base. This is all about how the PSU relates and how new groundloops (which can be for the better !) emerge and that kind of stuff.

If you'd measure at the end and how (outside of jitter) the analogue signal comes out (the NOS!) your 0.5mV (per vertical section that is) will never show a thing and if it does, things will be not the best.
And then still you can't do much because it really needs an FFT to observe what is needed (frequencies) and if *that* shows up at the NOS1 outputs you are dealing with something like 300uV (normal is 8uV RMS).

It will be a bit vague, but if things are all OK any USB noise (internally) will be under that 8uV, while still sound is able to change drastically already by software.
Summarized : Only when we (me too) are able to dig out some frequency which normally is not there, it will be audible for sure and for the worst. I can't see a thing changing with any type of USB connection, while for example USB2 and USB3 already make a very noticeable difference.

I hope that this isn't going offtopic, but if it were for me these SQ changes are ALL because of software behavior and are otherwise (or together with) incurred for by the general current draw (say power usage) which changes drastically.
With this new knowledge I was able to create yesterday a "sound" which can plainly be seen as an I-don't-know-what-kind-off equalizer/filter which again makes your albums unrecognizable, shows the most sweet highs with a fairly high degree of lacking snap - is close up to zooming into standing waves (bass blooms more) and which yesterday played at 90dBSPL for 3 hours before finally someone told me "isn't this loud ?".

What I tried to tell with the above is that at this moment I am rather explicitly working on the electrical influence on current spikes and spreading them which in my view is similar to anything which is injecting noise (more frequencies) which spreads the peaks just the same. One difference : with the latter the "RMS" (read : average) noise level will go up, while my software means brings it down. So what I am doing (trying to do) is with some sort of Ohms law (but better : "energy never gets lost") utilizing the current peaks for the gaps in between them. Ok, this should not bring down RMS noise, but at least it won't go up as well (and spikes vanish).

That something like this is working out, is audible by the Q5=1 setting and that this really can be overdone prooves my super equalizer from yesterday.
So to quote a bit what Coen was suggesting "we now need hardware solutions" ... no. I am far from finished. Actually just started in this new dimension although it was already sneaked in in 0.9z-9 (Q5).
I am also now regularly thinking how crazy it is that a version from half a year old can today bring so drastical SQ changes if only someone tries "that" combination.

Yes, this was offtopic. But I really must add that my first USB3 PCIe card was destroyed with a 24.xxx oscillator and I never listened to the merits of it (always used the MoBo USB3) and that the second (way more expensive) card never found its way to the PCIe bus because I personally and 100% think that *I* am not up to that at all. Thus, as long as software needs to be explored way more and can lead to so much better suddenly, why would I (anyone ?) try to improve with hardware. And I am serious : this hardware is more out of (my) control than the software plus the software can influence the hardware (mind you, also how your disk behaves, just saying).

Yes, this is quite another post than my first in this topic.
So I must be honest :
My previous post was merely and finally filfilling up to recognizing a two guys needs on very long and hard and $$ work on improvement. This post more honestly shows what I am really thinking and that -for example- there is no single way that I am able to judge in my current new means how all the *other* software parameters can influence this particular setting. Arjan pointed out the 5ms ClockRes instead of my 0.5ms. I tried his 5ms (with another DAC of course) and it didn't work out. Still it brought me back to 1ms which made me scratch my head at thinking "yea, start all over - takes a year".
With yesterday's new application I found the sound very similar to W8.1 and that again made me think that I may have found some ugly W8.1 base to possibly undo and proceed with that again.

Last notice and to be on-topic again :
If it were for me, not any low jitter USB clock can improve on jitter with asynchronous USB. But and as I said elsewhere, maybe it can after all. It is, however, a 100 times more likely that it is just that other noise pattern doing this (what about very low oscillation because of two now very closely running oscillators at both ends). So, it sure all is about jitter, but the means to it (better pattern up to lower jitter) should be very indirect and should not be about low jitter oscillators in the first place (but mind the low oscillation because then it is after all - hence it is more direct).
But if it works, it works. Sadly also : if it works, what happens with one of the drastical changing software settings.

All together (and offtopic again) I don't think I am up to hardware changes - if that was not clear already. And you know, for me it is really difficult to even stuff in a PCIe USB3 card when I don't see any need anywhere. Not as long as I know how much just putting in one additonal disk makes a difference and my perception of how the last one to remove should do jobs. Then I rather work for a year on the latter than spend 3 minutes on the former, in the end also knowing that all of it (whatever it is) in the end hammers on this interface.

Wow, I talk too long / too much. sorry
Peter

PS: Paul, Nick - still invited. But know what you're up to.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 05:10:10 pm »

Thanks for the elaboration Peter.

The clock experiments hold a key to better understanding what makes good sound in a computer audio setup. Since it seems that many influences are somehow powersupply related it raises also the question what the major contributor is: the precision clock or the PSU (as far as they can be seperated influences).

I am pleased to read that there are healthy theories popping up that can be scrutinised on a software level. This also promises great progress still to come. We are not near the point that we Háve to resort to hardware upgrades at all. Still these enable you the enjoy today the benefits that are yet to come Wink.
Anyway this process also relies on the bold experiments of our most commited forumfellows, so keep up the good work and enjoy your results!

Regards, Coen

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2013, 11:26:21 pm »

Yes Peter, thanks for the elaboration.  Very interesting...I have read your post three times now and I think that I better understand the angle that you are coming from.

Yes, of course the whole dexa clock experiment is likely to be substituting one set of noise for another set of noise, and the consensus of the two proponents is that the new set of noise is more pleasing to the ear.  This makes me wonder even further just what impact the ATX linear psu experiment will have on the entire XXHE/NOS1 ecosystem.  Will a new balance be created or will we prefer the old set of noise?  As you explained in that thread the lowest noise does not necessarily make for the best sound if we are exposing more offensive noise from within the pc.

So many combinations and permutations...and I think that you are right Peter to explore the software fully before finally tweaking the hardware...but in the meantime Nick and Paul have to their tastes the next level of sound reproduction and I am barreling headlong into a different major hardware change with the ATX LPS.  Heady times indeed.

Cheers,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14  All
  Print  

Jump to: