XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 19, 2024, 08:07:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is the music coming from?  (Read 17569 times)
Rupertdacat
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2007, 08:24:55 pm »

My initial setup is listed below.  I have a nice nos DAC in my main system, but I am not yet set up to utilize that.

My question:

Would someone please outline the path the data is taking from the Hard Drive to my ears?  I am very confused about the respective contributions of HighEndXX and Windows.  BTW, I am able to control the volume using the icon that was there before HighEndXX was installed.

Thanks,

Rupe

HP Desktop/AMD Dual Core 64X2 Athlon/2GB RAM/VistaHomePremium (ATA)/HighEndXX.exe (Output Primary Sound Driver)/Microsoft High Definition Audio Deivce/Computer's headphone jack/Headphones
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2007, 11:08:11 pm »

I'll try  ...
Assuming your DAC doesn't contain an earphone jack grazy It can only be a general outlay though ...

You'd be using Engine#3 since this is the most accurate playback means, I think (well, as intended fort sure).

The means of presenting the data to you DAC (not listed in your "main stream") would be around any interference of the OS and her services (why ? because XX was just created for that and, say, behaves like that or let the rest behave accordingly).

For Vista this would be kind of special anyway, because apart from ASIO there's no other means to do it than how XX does it. This is for a great deal due to the "Exclusive use" of the sound device, that going around all that normally just *will* mangle the data. This is the basis for proper playback.
That this sure is not all, should be proved by Engine#1 and Engine#2, which for Vista 100% sure just do not have this base (hence there the data *is* mangled by Vista), while it still sound wonderfully. But since all is in a context, the context of this is just  here, which not only proves how wrong things can be, but also indicates that this is not stupic commercials only.

But now ...

BTW, I am able to control the volume using the icon that was there before HighEndXX was installed.

Just this would incur for that last mentioned situation, being about the not being able of getting the sound device exclusively, that by itself causing the SRC (sample rate converter) of Vista jumping in, no matter nothing is there to be resampled.

As far as I have found, this is related to what you mention in your signature :
Microsoft High Definition Audio Deivce
which by now to me looks like some kind of hoax since the last thing it seems to be is "high definition" (well, according to MS all which is resampled is for the better of "you" the Vista user).

Rupe, I was taking a presumption on you using Engine#3 (of which I have this example of "HD Audio" on my desk which behaves the same as you just told) which doesn't seem to work ever with this "class driver" device. If you were using #1 or #2, then try #3 first before I'm screeming (okay, I already did Happy).

Does this help you in some way ?

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2007, 11:32:34 pm »

It just sprang to my mind ...

I don't think I ever expressed in here (but I did on AA) that the sole thing to find out whether your playback is "bit perfect" under Vista, is whether you can shutoff or control the volume with the "Volume Mixer". If you can, you're not.
So you got that part Rupe. yes

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Rupertdacat
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 06:21:15 am »

Hi Peter.

I'm afraid that I can make little out of your post (my shortcoming, not yours) except that my being able to adjust the volume with the pre-existing icon means that my playback is not bit  perfect, and that you wish I was using engine 3.  The version of HighEndXX I have been able to open is 1.0.2733.34784.  The other .exe file that came in the zip file I downloaded, XXEngine3, does not open.  I have not yet installed DotNet Framework 3.0 redistributable because you made it sound as if this might cause trouble. 

What I wanted to know is if my setup, as described in my signature, is getting the max benefit from the XX engine I am currently using? 

Thanks,

Rupe

HP Desktop/AMD Dual Core 64X2 Athlon/2GB RAM/VistaHomePremium (ATA)/HighEndXX.exe (Output Primary Sound Driver)/Microsoft High Definition Audio Deivce/Computer's headphone jack/Headphones
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:52:49 am »

Rupe,

Maybe I am (and was) not quite sure what to tell you. blush1
But let's try to get there.

except that my being able to adjust the volume with the pre-existing icon means that my playback is not bit  perfect, and that you wish I was using engine 3.

Wish ? Did you really mean to say that ? I assumed it, yes. Is this assumption wrong ?
If so, with #1 and #2 you will not get bit perfect playback with Vista.
Ok, for that matter you could say that I wish that you use #3, because your chances lay there ...
Now :

The other .exe file that came in the zip file I downloaded, XXEngine3, does not open.

This is correct, because it is used by XXHighEnd.exe, which is the only one *you* should start. The #3 is then selected by means of the "Quality" combobox.

I have not yet installed DotNet Framework 3.0 redistributable because you made it sound as if this might cause trouble.

Merely, this is just not necessary, because it already comes with Vista. For XP it would be true better not to download/install that, but this is not your case.

What I wanted to know is if my setup, as described in my signature, is getting the max benefit from the XX engine I am currently using?

Somehow I am to blame for not understanding what you actually want. I understand your question, but I have the hunch that you somewhere have a problem (like not getting #3 to run ?).

Please don't feel shy to express whatever it is you feel the need to know. But if the question is too "open", I can only have general answers.
Let's start with a question of mine : could you please list your bunch of concrete questions you probably have ? Stupid questions don't exist ...

Regards,
Peter

PS: I see now that you could be asking how to get from your PC to your DAC, while your DAC currently is being used by means of a CD player. Can I be right on this ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Rupertdacat
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 02:09:20 pm »

Hi Peter.

This quote is from your install notes:

"Note that the XXEngine3.exe an internal program, used by XXHighEnd."

Now I understand what this means, but I did not the first time I saw it.  Since your install notes contained no other info on how one chooses the engine, I thought opening that file was the way to try engine 3.  So... by default, when I opened XX.exe, I was using Engine 1.  I saw no mention in your notes about "quality" and was too stupid to just hit the button to see what it does.

Anyway, now that I know how to choose the engine, engine3 does not play any music for me.

My thought:  your baby is still in beta.

I'll come back after people with more computer experience and knowledge than I inform me that XX is ready to go. 

Thanks,

Rupe

My original question was meant to ask:

"With my current setup (headphones plugged into headphone jack of PC- as was detailed) am I getting the benefit of XX?  The reason I asked this, is that I was hearing no benefit compared to my previous setup.  Of course, now I know that I was using engine 1. 

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2007, 03:09:46 pm »

Hi Rupe,

Now I'm not sure whether you previously though to come back when the baby is ready (see your own text), or that you NOW think to come back later ... When the last :

No reason to, because afaik everything works. However :

Anyway, now that I know how to choose the engine, engine3 does not play any music for me.

This is about the HD audio driver which is just not allowing Exclusive Mode. This is unrelated to a baby not being ready, but is about (IMHO) Microsoft providing immature soundcard drivers for the HD Audio internal device. Here is where I promised that (although I thought you indeed were already using #3 at that moment) :

As far as I have found, this is related to what you mention in your signature :
Microsoft High Definition Audio Deivce
which by now to me looks like some kind of hoax since the last thing it seems to be is "high definition" (well, according to MS all which is resampled is for the better of "you" the Vista user).

For this device only #1 and #2 can be used, and than Vista resamples in both cases (as it would do with each player).
In the end you just must not use this internal device.

HTH

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 09:42:56 am »

Now I think of it ... There should be some kind of message when indeed your HD sounddevice is giving you problems as I suggested.
But do you *have* an message ?

If not, something else is going on.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: