XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:11:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: incredible sound for cheap  (Read 5892 times)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: January 23, 2014, 12:46:10 am »

Hi,

I just wanted to share my enthusiasm for my new IFI iDSD nano DAC/Headphone thingy gadget. (google for details)

I bought this device to have better sound when on the move like during office hours at work whilst using quality headphones (AKG-701).
One of the nice things is that it plays about every conceivable format including HD to 384k and DXD384 if you care for such stuff, has an exterior volume control and RCA and SPDIF outputs. It also features a battery so you can operate it with devices that have to little power on their own bus to supply it (like ipad or iphone). According to the source (AMR) PCM and DSD are both played 'natively' no idea how, but the statement is that it is not converted to dsd or PCM before play respectively. 

Now this magic little box goes for EUR 189 which I think is absolutely amazing.

Well it turned out even better than anticipated. I've been playing mp3, Spotify and rebook (16/44.1). SQ is simply amazing on the difficult AKG headphones, a few years this kind of sound was inconceivable for normal mortal's purses. Its lightyears ahead of my ole M-audio Audiophile of 'yore.
As intended the source has been the ipad with camera connection kit sofar.

Of course there is the complementary annoyance. My laptop has an USB3 interworking issue that needs resolve from the suppliers (laptop OS and/or IFI). Both are in progress but not released yet.

Before you start to ask about my NOS1: No the IFI is not that good, but it ís in the context of my purpose. I have no intention to mess with my grand setup. Well I have to run it once (at least) with my audio computer and XXHE  Happy.

Anyway I can imagine if you don't have the budget to go wild or need a small quality job on the go, this is a fantastic solution.

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 11:55:27 pm »

Hi Coen,

I got myself a M2tech HiFace dac some months ago. My intention was (and still is) to have something small enough to bring with my laptop whenever I feel it would be fun to play some music (on vacation, somewhere around)... I have tried it on my all purpose PC and the results are quite interesting, but had I read what you wrote, I think I would have gone with your dac also... Happy I still don't have a DSD dac, but for the moment it does not really bug me...

iFi really have interesting stuff, with prices that do not break the bank... I once asked them if they had the intention of making a power supply with a different voltage then the one with the iUSB and the answer was positive.

Thanks for taking the time to report about this product Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: