XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 24, 2024, 04:52:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Further Isolation of the Silverstone PCIe - USB Card  (Read 91265 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2014, 04:53:39 pm »

Hi Alain,

Not that I know of, athough it seems to derive from logic (of the posts). It *is* true though that in my situation the only thing which can be connected to PE is the PC, while that measures better. So can indeed is must - in my situation.

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2014, 01:01:55 am »

Anthony,

Remember this is with an isolated Silverstone card, which I did not like initially, but with further isolation from the PCIe bus the sound is sweet and delicate and dynamic and beautiful.  The "sssss's" sizzle and decay but don't bite.

I made a remark about this when you wrote this, but (sadly) I scratched it because I drifted off in that particular post (so the whole post wasn't posted). But my remark about this was :

The sizzle is a tough one to interpret;
For me it could be an indication (and I mean when I perceive that myself) that some higher frequency is riding on it all which make the S sizzle. Btw, same can happen with a nylon string although I'd call that "zzoooming";

In both cases (S and nylon string) this *is* a good characteristic and at least for the nylon string I will not be able to discern the better and the worse. To understand this, we better look at the sizzling S and try to see how much real that would be. I mean, try to produce that sizzle yourself; you will be able to do it, but it won't be easy (it's even hard to hear it yourself and another person needs to listen).
Now, when you have tried this and have seen how difficult it is, you can come to the conslusion that what you perceive from a random track with random singer with his/her random S that sizziling is not likely. Also, it needs "Z" to be incorporated which is why it hardly can be a natural S you're hearing.

This has been my perception for a longer time, but I must say that I never really "tuned" on it, because the sizzling seems to exhibit better resolution/resolvement and audibly it is not disturbing. Also, combine it with the nylon string which gets better from it (plus better discernable from the metal string) and you are fine. Still, when the chips are down like in these posts (about PE and such) I think it should be (?) a measure of the wrong. And of course it is placeboed in my mind because of no ground = no good.

It's only sad that I scratched this text at the time I wrote it which was way early in the topic because then I would have been predictive while now it seems in aftermath. But really not so.

Btw, I now wrote it after all bcause I tried to make a best choice of your table of happenings which I couldn't. So the best choice would be one which plops with your solution of not switching the lights but which right away also prooves that PE is used for signal ground. Notice that "signal ground" is of various types, only one of them real (music output) signal ground and you can see it by the DC Offset changing or not locking.

What I only start to recognize is how a PC itself can be the baddy in this all, because I can see that I myself can't get things wrong at this moment, while the whole (DC Offset) setup has been created with another PC which *did* have problems like not wanting to start. Not much useful for you all, but this same PC ended up elsewhere (not for music playback) and when it was powered down I had to ... detach USB devices (like a printer) before it ever wanted to boot.
I can also add the fairly unrelated (or not) happening that half a year or so ago, we were struck by direct lightning and everything survided expect that PC (main earth switch tripped). After that it never wanted to boot again and it was replaced.

Remember, it is only today that I am able to combine these things (or suggest they are related) and it can only happen from more "sightings" from guys like you, your experiments and your descriptions of it.
These things are mighty difficult and even while I'm focused on it, it apparantly takes years to nail it down. To some extend that is, but we won't stop experimenting.
Personally (but I don't see all) I think that the few forums posts in here - relative to say millions elsewhere - are so much more valuable than these millions of others.

Peter

Hi Peter,

Yes, I can imagine that “sizzle” means different things to different people, but I most definitely do not mean it in the way that you understand it.  I will give you an example.

I like trumpets:  they are a relatively simple instrument that is brash and raspy and difficult to play (no I don’t play one).  I also like drums because growing up my neighbour was a mad drummer and I would go over to hear him thrash out Van Halen or whatever was popular at the time (actually I did not have to go next door to listen to him play…hehehe).  The cymbals are what I remember from those days how they were just on the edge of being abrasive and how he would manipulate them with the stick or brush or hand or foot to change the sound.  So I think that I am reasonably sensitive to the sound of these instruments.

What the Silverstone card in its fully isolated form gives me is more of the realism of the drums, cymbal and trumpet.  For example, to my ears there is more change in the sound of the cymbal with each strike.  A more fleshy strike, a rapid change as the cymbal recovers from that strike to vibrate evenly and then decay.  What I hear in most systems is not so much of the fleshy strike, but plenty of the vibration when the cymbal has recovered and then a form of decay:  in other words more of a “one sound” rather than the more graduated sound that the Silverstone gives me.

Likewise with the trumpet.  A trumpet has rasp and a much varied tone depending on how it is blown, and the isolated Silverstone (both ends) gives that to me better than the PPAstudio card but the sound is still rough to my ears, too harsh (like there are higher frequencies involved), not entirely right.

What the loom does for me is take a lot of that noise or roughness away and gives better clarity, more separation between instruments (a blacker background if you like) and more resolution (read: more fleshy drums and raspy trumpets).  I have not mentioned voices in all this at all, but voices improve remarkably also.

Peter, I think that you are right with your observations about signal ground.  What I plan to do when I get some time is to re-solder some of the ground wires onto the PCIe riser cable (my loom) in an effort to reinstate that connection.  I have an idea that with my loom at the moment I have taken two steps forward and one step back.  Perhaps all that I need to do is get linear power to the card (or possibly to the clock itself) which would equate to two steps forward, and not sever the grounds entirely (my one step backwards).  The Silverstone needs to be resistant to my fluoro lights and if I am right the best sound may just coincide with this as well.
More to do.

Best Regards,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2014, 03:48:05 am »

Great description Anthony.
And your description about the cymbals makes me think that you really must try W7. W8 makes exactly that evolvement of the cymbal unbalanced.

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:32 am »

As I (and some others) cannot hear any difference by isolating PCIe card and the USB at NOS1 - could that mean there is a more fundamental problem to be addressed in cases where it does make a difference?

Just a thought?

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2014, 10:06:42 am »

Maybe Paul. Who is that "some others" ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2014, 10:30:29 am »

Hi Anthony,
Thanks for the loom description. I have the loom running now, but I prefer it with the (modified) Paul Pang card. Because with that card I like the (less) highs more and ALL details are there!
I have a second Silverstone and PP (in order) and will make a combination of the two.... See what that will bring.
And W7 is also really nice to hear again.....
Regards, Arjan

Hi Arjan,

Great that you got it working!!  Did you use a LPS for both 3.3V and 5V?  Did you have any problems with pops like I did?

Once again, I really appreciate that you gave this a go. 

Regards,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2014, 10:32:31 am »

Great description Anthony.
And your description about the cymbals makes me think that you really must try W7. W8 makes exactly that evolvement of the cymbal unbalanced.

Regards,
Peter

I will give w7 a go and am sure there is a spare licence kicking around here somewhere.  I came to XXHE once you had sorted out w8 so have never listened to w7 and XXHE.

Anthony

Audio PC

Audio Chain
Arjan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2014, 07:14:27 pm »

Hi Anthony,
I use a separate lps for the 3.3v and the 5v goes via picoPsu powered pc by another lps. So everything on linear power.
I do not have more pops then before, only my doorbell is (and was).
But plugging in another usb on the same card stops the music. So it is more tricky now. But it works fine!

You should try W7! W7 is more relaxing were W8 is more realism with some too agressive highs. But maybe better for another thread about W7 and W8.
Regards, Arjan

March, 2018 (2.10)
Music Server (old PC) RDC to Mach II Stealth 14393 RAM-OS / no videocard / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/3/4/5 = 30/0/1/1/ Q1Factor = 40 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 0.5ms / SFS = 5.19 Mx = 120 Straight Contiguous / driver buffer 16ms / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = High / Scheme = 3-5 / Unattended / Minimize OS / PeakExtend off / Arc Prediction / NO custom filter / 16x Upsampling / XTweaks 38 (turbo boost off in bios and cpu ratio 24!),1,-,0,1/with coverart / --> mobo USB --> The Lush 100 cm --> NOS1a 75B --> Blaxius --> bnc amps Jadis JA30 (modified and with the best tubes) --> Speakers
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 02, 2014, 07:44:10 pm »

Maybe Paul. Who is that "some others" ?

Nick & I played around with isolating the USB card and USB plug at NOS1 about a year ago but as neither of us could hear significant differences we did not proceed. Nick felt he could hear small differences but nothing much. IIRC Todd mentioned that he did not hear any difference either.

Anyone else? if so please post.

Nick & I both have balanced supplies and dedicated earth so our PE's should be low noise. Obviously I cannot know if that is relevant but worth mentioning.

So at least 3 of us but maybe more that have not posted.

I shall be going to Mani's when he gets his Orelino's (soon???????????) so we can try a few checks then (he also has balanced supply).

I have mentioned before but worth mentioning again here that at one stage I tried something crazy with my earth arrangement. My amplifier case is not connected to anything it is only connected to PE (the PE at that time was connected to NOS1 and PC and balanced transformer then all back to earth spike in the garden). So I then connected the amplifier case direct to the earth spike in the garden. I also connected NOS1 case in the same way direct to the earth spike (of course NOS1 case is also not connected to anything except PE). So as far as possible a Star arrangement.

WOW what a difference the sorts of changes you have described for the PCIe isolation. I was very surprised at the time I was not really expecting any improvement. Of course I cannot know if that is relevant but also worth mentioning.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2014, 05:43:45 am »

Hi Paul,

I would be interested by what you actually tried about a year ago.  Did you try something like my loom that disengages the ground between the PCIe socket and USB card and allows cleaner power for the card itself?  Or did you do something else?

Regards,

Anthony

Audio PC

Audio Chain
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2014, 12:54:49 pm »

Hi Anthony - we isolated the USB shield at NOS1 (actually with some teflon tape) end also we isolated the PCIe ground at the PC (the bracket we covered in electric tape). That's as far as I went but Nick went further by isolating the earth on the backplane as well (IIRC). Obviously that was before we fitted Dexa clocks. Nicks feeling was that there were small changes in SQ but he found it difficult to decide if they were improvements or not and also (again IIRC) thought that the changes were inconsistent. So further investigation was dropped!

Neither of us tried the PCIe card on a riser cable with independent supplies.

The only other thing I tried (and I think Nick also) was to install a linear 5v regulated supply for the molex on the Paul Pang card but that sounded significantly worse (covered in detail in separate thread).

That's as far as we got.

Cheers

Paul

CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2014, 04:46:33 pm »

Hi Anthony - we isolated the USB shield at NOS1 (actually with some teflon tape) end also we isolated the PCIe ground at the PC (the bracket we covered in electric tape). That's as far as I went but Nick went further by isolating the earth on the backplane as well (IIRC).

Hi Paul,

There is a difference with the 'USB ground disconnection' in the current discussion. This is about the isolation from the power supply (and chassis) by removing the connection of the black wire from the USB receptacle at the power supply's end.
In this situation, the USB cable's shield remains connected to the USB circuitry at both sides.

This might not matter to you at all, but I thought it worth noticing.

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 03, 2014, 08:54:39 pm »

Hi Coen,

removing the connection of the black wire from the USB receptacle at the power supply's end

Do you mean the black wire (or blue in my NOS1) that runs from the USB female socket shield in NOS1 to PE (via a screw to the case in the right leg power supply)?

If so yes I did remove that and again made no difference.

Paul

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 03, 2014, 09:14:58 pm »

Hi,

Iv been following the thread but had decided not to say much, I'm not familiar with the silverstone card and although the stuff I tried (below) was not conclusive that's not to say that there were not changes to sound. I found results to be quite system dependant so I did not want to comment too much because as it seems likely that we may experience the effects differently depending on the rest of the system.

Neither of us tried the PCIe card on a riser cable with independent supplies.

The only other thing I tried (and I think Nick also) was to install a linear 5v regulated supply for the molex on the Paul Pang card but that sounded significantly worse (covered in detail in separate thread).

That's as far as we got.

IV destroyed a good may usb2 and 3 cards over the years trying similar things  Happy Rather than use a pcie riser I traced the pins on the usb PCIe edge connector back to the bus pins and broken traces to inject power (LPS, batteries etc), disconnect PCIe earth and decouple cards from PC chassis earth, and DAC signal earth. Also tried clock mods and usb card component upgrades. Then there was galvanic isolation with the Anadco.  In the end it was thinking about results of experiments with the Anadco that lead back to experiments with usb clocks again.

Regards,
Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 03, 2014, 10:35:45 pm »

Hi Coen,

removing the connection of the black wire from the USB receptacle at the power supply's end

Do you mean the black wire (or blue in my NOS1) that runs from the USB female socket shield in NOS1 to PE (via a screw to the case in the right leg power supply)?

If so yes I did remove that and again made no difference.

Paul

Yes, as the only means of 'isolating' the USB. YMMV with these kind of tweaks. It all depends on (too) many other factors.

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  All
  Print  

Jump to: