XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 12:27:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: EMI susceptibility of audio and USB clocks  (Read 37719 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 04:07:52 pm »

Peter,

OT: am I ok to assume that between 2 USB ports, there should be a "master" and a "slave" ? If so, then to what level does the 2 clocks need to be tuned together (since I figure that this already  happens between them) ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 03:14:00 pm »

Alain, All,

After returning from my visit to Peter's I was left with a big question - Why did the USB clocks not perform as expected in Peters system ?

Peter provided an account and his view above in this post of what may have been happening regards USB clock noise etc. I know that the dexa clocks (read improved clocks on standard xtals in USB interfaces, forget Dexa as a make here) have made a significant positive impact in 5 of the 6 systems that they have fitted. Before posting my comments and thoughts on how the USB clocks performed at Peter’s and why, I wanted to spend time investigating what might have happened to impact their performance. I have been doing this for a couple of weeks now and am reasonably sure that I understand now what happened. I will post more on this shortly, but for now…

To the point that you make above Alain, the relative speed of the two clocks at the ends of the USB link is very important to sound quality. As part of the work to diagnose the problems at Peter’s I now have a way to show the relative speed of the two USB clocks in my system. This is done is such a way that the relative clock speed can be looked at in real time across the room from my listening position whilst listening to music. The display will resolve fractions of one cycle of phase shift between the clocks (eg a few degrees of one 360 degree “beat” between the clocks). Viewing the relative clock speed in real time whilst listening its clear that speeds do significantly impact sound quality. In fact it changes sound differently if the PC PCIe USB clock is running faster or slower then the NOS1 USB interface clock. Same speed, or as close as possible to this, is best subjectively for SQ.

The USB clocks in my system are tuned now to a frequency which is better than 1 part per million of each other (this 1ppm is the max and for some time they run at the same speed exactly). When we tried the clocks at Peters they were matched very badly (worse than 100 parts per million). Sound now is entirely different to what Peter and I were listening to.

If these results are valid and relative USB clock speed does impact sound quality, then without the capacity to tune the USB clocks it may very well just be luck that determines how good a particular PCIe USB3 card sounds with a NOS1. The luck being that all the many variables that impact the Xtal speed and stability of on the USB card and NOS1 USB interface just happen to “line up” such that the two crystals run at close speeds to one another and sound good. That is a worrying thought as even different instances of the same PCIe USB card model may sound different…..

Paul is bringing his Silverstone USB card, and DAC (fitted with USB Dexa clocks) to mine this weekend to look at this and we hope to get more supporting evidence. With respect to the SIlversone USB card, unfortunately the act of measuring the oscillation speed of a raw crystal’s output will change the speed (due to capacitance of the probe that is being used to do the measuring) so tuning the card to the Dexa in my NOS1 is unlikely to be possible but we will see what we can do. I will update when we have more information.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 04:46:30 pm »

Hi Nick,

Interesting progress!

We have a saying here: "when you have two clocks you never really know what the hour is...". My take on this phenomenon would still be a 'master USB clock' solution. This will always imply a fixed and identical base frequency yet the clock distribution is likely to introduce different phase noise at the different ends. I'm too distracted to look deeper into this subject, yet it may hold even more potential. At least it lacks the synching of the clocks and the clock source may be decoupled from the source and destination noise sources.

I would not be surprised at all that you will find absolute and relative wandering of the clock frequencies audible.

keep us posted,

regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 05:11:16 pm »

My take on this phenomenon would still be a 'master USB clock' solution.

Coen hi,

I agree this needs to be tried. I have had all the parts for a while now to give a single clock driving both ends of the USB link a go, just need to find the time  Happy.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

listening
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 07:14:24 pm »

Hi Nick,

very interesting point. I remember to a good friend of mine who has been an enthusiastic shortwave amateur who build his tube receivers by himself. And one very critical aspect was the frequency normal which was actively heated to a specific temperature for stability. The systems needs to heat up for over an hour for good stability. Do you think that temperature will influence the synchronization? Could it be possible that here is a reason for different SQ at various days?

Georg

XXHE 2.10 - PC ASUS Sabertooth X99, passive Cooling / Seasonic P-400FL Platin / Core I7 6800K 6/12 cores scalable @1.2GHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 0.69) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On
(Settings currently not stable)

USB3 from MoBo -> 2m Belkin -> Intona (Standard) with external power supply -> Clairixia cable
USB3 from MoBo -> 0,5m Belkin USB3 -> ALLDAQ ADQ-USB 3.0-ISO-PS with external power supply -> 2m Belkin USB2 cable

-> WaveIO to dddac1794 or to Soekris DAM1021
-> SMSL SU-8 ES9038
-> 2x Gainclone -> TQWT 9710M/01 + BMS 4524 Horn
-> 2x Quad 405 rebuild as mono amps with Dada Electronics boards -> Quad ESL63 Pro
-> 2x Anaview ALC0300-1300 -> Original Celestion SL6 in concrete housing
-> 2x Neumann KH-120
-> Funk MTX Monitor -> AKG K701
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 09:42:49 pm »

Hi Nick,

very interesting point. I remember to a good friend of mine who has been an enthusiastic shortwave amateur who build his tube receivers by himself. And one very critical aspect was the frequency normal which was actively heated to a specific temperature for stability. The systems needs to heat up for over an hour for good stability. Do you think that temperature will influence the synchronization? Could it be possible that here is a reason for different SQ at various days?

Georg

Georg,

I think you could be bang on with what im seeing here.

The dexas have a simple resitor heater and thermostat control of the temperature of the 24mhz xtal can on the clock pcb. When the clocks are turned from on cold there is a very large difference in relative speed of the clocks. This reduces quickly (as the temps stabilise I think) at first quickly then further stabilises happens over about 10m. In the end the two clocks do not stay completely stable with respect to each other. I've got them trimmed now with a slow progression of 0 beats per second to around 10 beats per second (possibly less). The cycle from 0 beats to 10 beats and back takes about 30 seconds. I cannot prove it right now but I have a feeling this might be due to the heating cycle of the thermostat on both clocks slight over heating then under heating the crystals.

Thinking about it the beat frequency cycle could be due to other effects as well. But hysteresis in the heating / temp sensing circuit seems like it might be the first place to investigate. It's fun this stuff, whats the betting that Paul's clocks behave completely differently when we look at the haha :-).

Best,

Nick.

Audio PC

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 11:55:54 pm »

Since my trip to Peters I have been working to understand why the dexa usb clocks did not perform as expected. The first step in understanding what happened is in this post.

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2888.msg30710#msg30710

In summary this post flags the sound quality performance difference that tuning the PC and DAC usb clocks makes to sound. Being a compulsive tweaker, when Peter and I listened to the clocks I had the damed clocks significantly out of sync (of the order of 1000s of hz against a USB chipset spec typically of 24mhz +- 100ppm). It was only after returning from Peters that I worked out how to tune clocks accurately to each other.

I the post above I had to stopped short of saying that the poor performance we encountered was completely explained. This was because although synchronising the USB clocks makes a massive difference to sound I still felt there was something else about the set up that had impacted sound. So more thinking and now what i beleive to be the final issue solved making the dexas perform as i had expected.

What had happened is that whilst tweaking, I had set the speed of the NOS interface USB clock fast by 1-2 kHz and lost track that I had done this ! I was stumped as to how I could get the NOS dexa close to dead on 24mhz again (my scope frequency counter is only accurate to 3 decimal places), then I remembered the DIY 24mhz clock I'd built to test the USB clocks  Happy. Using the diy clocks as a reference the dexa at the NOS end was retuned again to very close to 24mhz. Then PC end dexa usb was re-tuned to match the DAC end dexa with both running much closer to 24mhz.

So now the system behaves exactly as expected (totally different performance) without question these two tuning factors are the root cause of the poor performance that Peter and I experienced.

I'm really glad to have found the cause of the problem, diagnosing what happened has helped to pin down a better understanding clock related variables and how usb clocks need to be set up. It would be fun now to retry the upgraded clock config in Peters system but not that practical unfortunately  unhappy

Anyway absolutely top, top draw performance again from the modified USB link.

Regards,
Nick

Audio PC

manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2014, 08:43:28 am »

Nice work Nick, and thanks for sharing.

Using the diy clocks as a reference the dexa at the NOS end was retuned again to very close to 24mhz. Then PC end dexa usb was re-tuned to match the DAC end dexa with both running much closer to 24mhz.

How close is 'close enough'? And how much do you expect the Dexas to drift away over time from their current settings?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2014, 09:30:12 am »

Hi Nick,

I don't really understand what you have been doing to get it right. Are you saying that the absolute value of 24Mhz is of importance?

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2014, 04:52:09 pm »

I don't really understand what you have been doing to get it right. Are you saying that the absolute value of 24Mhz is of importance?

Coen hi,

The posts are none too clear  Happy There are two factors.

1) matching the speeds of the PCIe USB card clock and the DAC USB interface clock.
2) both clocks need to run at close to their nominal frequency of 24mhz.

When I went to Peters I had unknowingly tweeked clock speeds to the point that, the DAC end clock was running > 1000hz above the 24mhz nominal speed for the USB decoder. In addition to this the matching of the two clock speeds also was way out.

Fixing both these points has things very much back on track sound quality wise  Happy.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 02, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »

How close is 'close enough'? And how much do you expect the Dexas to drift away over time from their current settings?

Mani hi,

Good question  Happy I'm not sure about how close is close enough. The  sample 24mhz "DIY" clock i used based on a module would should run at 24mhz. I might investigate more but I need to spend more money on measuring equipment to do this.

Regards the dexas drift rate. As mentioned in other posts, there is a cycle of drift between two tuned dexa usb clocks, but this peaks at about 3 or so beats per second so not that large (your clocks were tuned to this tollerance). So far once tuned to each other the frequencies of the clocks appear to be stable over time. I'll keep checking on this but I don't think they are going to need retuning regularly.

Regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: