XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 29, 2024, 01:31:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A superoir SQ of the NOS1 with 8x AP only!  (Read 24315 times)
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« on: April 24, 2014, 10:02:29 pm »

Hi,

I made several  tests  in conjunction with 24bit/96KHz HD and 16bit/44,1KHz recordings.

My impression is that the SQ of 16bit/44,1KHz recordings is smoother with a finer note/less overall harshness  (of the cymbals)  and a bass/kick drum  with more resonances/reverberations. The soundstage has more width.

Peter, please listen to the CD, track 2 again and you hear now the clicks of the sticks on the cymbals very clear.

http://www.amazon.com/Jazz-Garden-Stanley-Clarke/dp/B001VFM0QU/ref=sr_1_8?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1391768160&sr=1-8&keywords=stanley+clarke

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 09:31:15 am »

Hey Joachim, nice !

If you are as far as that, you can also try to set Switch#5 Up, deactivate Is NOS1 in Settings, and choose Stereo Reduced in the NOS1 driver control panel.
Now you can not use 16x any more, but all is electrically different now. Should theoretically be more spatious which is NOT better (technicaly).

Best regards and thanks !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 01:11:52 pm »

My impression is that the SQ of 16bit/44,1KHz recordings is smoother with a finer note/less overall harshness  (of the cymbals)  and a bass/kick drum  with more resonances/reverberations. The soundstage has more width.

Interesting. I've spent the last 3-4 weeks listening with 8x upsampling but didn't want to post about it until i was "sure" about my impressions. What prompted me to experiment with the upsampling was a listening session where my Phasure NOS 1 was compared to a Meitner MA-1. I've had this opportunity twice now in two different rooms and the first time the NOS-1 sounded better by a mile. The second time was with runs of 25ft interconnects, and the sound of the NOS-1 compared to the Meitner was a bit too polite and soft sounding, Though the NOS-1 sounded excellent the Meitner had a bit more pzazz or energy, bass was a bit tighter and louder. The meitner used a pre-amp and we tried the NOS-1 with and without the pre-amp. Though the NOS-1 sounded better without the pre, in both cases the Meitner had a bit more energy or sparkle. When i got home, I played around with settings trying to replicate the sound of the Meitner and found that the 8x oversampling instead of 16x added that bit of sparkle (similar to the Meitner) that provides, as Jochim described, more resonances/reverberations with a kick drum. Unlike Joachim, though, I'd say that 16x sounds a bit too smooth compared to 8x, vocals and solo violin  have slightly less body and presence than 8x. In this regard when I first tried 4x oversampling I thought it sounded best but over time it sounds a bit fatiguing. 8x seems a good compromise. Anyway, the guy with the Meitner is coming back in mid-may and we are going to give them one more listen in my room where the NOS-1 was clearly better the first time we compared them. So, for now, it seems that 8x sounds more pleasing than 16x. Would be interested in others impressions.

Brian 

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 08:58:13 am »

Ron Carter and his “Golden Striker Trio” was in Helsinki a couple of weeks ago. It was an impressive performance and what I was wondering about was, that his acoustic bass was “singing” (with the typical reverberations).

A test CD straight from the beginning is.

http://www.amazon.com/Wood-Brian-Bromberg/dp/B000FQJPBO/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1398493659&sr=1-5&keywords=brian+bromberg

The sound characteristic of the acoustic bass I heard live is not reproducible at my home, until I switch to 8xAP and the bass is “singing” now. (Brians remark “ ….. 16xAP  have slightly less body and presence than 8x” hits the nail ……….. .)

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 10:13:15 am »

Unlike Joachim, though, I'd say that 16x sounds a bit too smooth compared to 8x

Brian, I don't think Joachim said that ? Anyway it is clear what you think.

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 10:26:01 am »

So I too tried it, but actually for different reasons. And (warning) I used the Switch#5 Up (see previous post) because at this moment I can't do it otherwise.

Maybe it is too difficult to compare the real apples with the real apples (because I have more changes going on), but I think it was obvious that a way warm sound comes from this.
A.o. I tried The Friends or Mr Cario (Jon & Vangelis) which I know as waytoo super lean, but no single leannes came from it any more. Here too I must be careful because a few months back I reported similarly about this album but I don't think so extreme.

What I also recognize (I think) is the better kick drums. More umpf. But, this is not so difficult when things go towads the far more warm side. However ...

I also played Abdullah Ibrahim's Senzo and now I don't know ...
In my view this is one of the best natural piano (wing) reproductions, and I can't say I still think it is in this setup. Some piano keys zoom, and it is all a fuzzy warm bath now. Sparkle (overtones) is still there as earlier, but it's all so heavy that it now looks like the recording space could have needed a 100 bass traps.

Overall I sure liked it and maybe it is more pleasurable to listen to (palpable), but I don't think it is more real.
I wasn't bugged by less accurracy, but the warmth overrules the freshness and real sparkle.
Anyway I feel no need to switch back for the next session but that only tells I now listen subjectively (which I actually don't want to do).

Remember, Switch#5 Up and this can make a large difference.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 12:15:47 pm »

Unlike Joachim, though, I'd say that 16x sounds a bit too smooth compared to 8x

Brian, I don't think Joachim said that ? Anyway it is clear what you think.

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

Brians OS is W7 and mine W8.

At present the SQ wit 8xAP is quite pleasing and I'm comparing "apples".

When switching #5 at the DAC XXH setting remains at 16xAP or reduce it to 8xAP too? = Edit = Stupid question!!!

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 12:56:36 pm »

Joachim,

I actually want to know to what degree my apples are apples. So I saw you asking that question (yes, just set to 8x) so let me know when you have some results on this.
Again, I just can't do it with Switch#5 down, and with Up it is electrically all different.

Thanks ...
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 01:49:57 pm »

I'll give switch 5 up (with other settings described in Peter's post above) a try this afternoon. Had yesterday afternoon off and spent the time so pleasantly lost in the sound of music!

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 04:16:59 pm »

Hi,

made a very short test run (due to item 2) with Swicht#5 up and changes within XXH/driver panel necessary.

My impressions:

1 - with the same volume setting the SPL is much louder.
2 - the acoustic bass (of the a.m. Brian Bromberg CD) is much bigger than his natural size.
3 - bass is fuzzy at very deep frequencies.
4 -  the soundstage got lost by a certain margin and the positions of the instruments are not accurate. (see item 2)

So, back to my previuos settings and everything fell into place again.

My wife is out of home and the "seagull" flew higher than before.  Happy The cymbals and bells were hit in different depths of the room. Amazing to listen.

On my computer system with the settings noted in "profile" this seems my best choice of the AP.

Joachim
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 07:58:11 pm »

Ha ! Then at least I am happy about my own findings with Switch#5 Up !

Thank you Joachim !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 11:29:07 am »

Brian/Joachim,

Gentlemen, this is an interesting discovery!  good

By default, I always used the "max upsampling" feature in XX, meaning that the system works at sampling frequency 705,6 (or 768kHz if multiple of 48kHz).

But trying some test tracks today in x8 times "only", I hear a slightly more "fresh" sound. There is slightly more sparkle in the treble, which increases the "snap and drive" even for bass instruments.

This occurs also with 24/192 material:
Miles Davis/Kind Of Blue/Flamenco Sketches
Ray Brown Trio/Soular Energy/Sweet Georgia Brown
Marvin Gay/Whats Going On/Whats Going On

I am gonna run the system like this for a while and see if it stands the test of long term testing.

The big question: What is the cause of different SQ?
-Is it the presence of added HF sampling noise when running on lesser sampling frequency, or is the system more "comfortable" when not pushed to work with max sampling frequency?

Whatever the explanation, the difference is noticeable, and in the magnitude of, let's say, what we hear when fiddling with different Q1 values.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 01:50:05 pm »

Hey Pedal glad you've given it a try too! It's been several weeks  since I changed to 8x and I've not felt like I wanted to go back to 16x. We will see. Regarding 24/192, are you saying that you generally upsample? For me HiRes always sounds best at its original sample rate of 96 or 192.

pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 02:26:44 pm »

Yes, with "fx" activated in XX, I always get maximum upsampling for the different formats I have. I thought it to be the best, without further testing.

But now I will re-consider. :-)

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 02:54:32 pm »

I don't have a conclusion about these differences... Could this be caused by a "lesser" demand on USB ?

But there is an added value with 8x: no more "cuts" with very low SFS Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: