XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 09:29:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Geek Out Has KS!  (Read 15521 times)
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: April 28, 2014, 01:51:27 pm »

My Windows machine is in my office rather than with the main system.  Had Windows on my laptop, but: (1) Not the best machine for XXHE; (2) My Win 7 trial ran out for the laptop (still have it on the desktop along with 8 and 8.1); (3) My MacBook Pro is mid-2009 and won't run Win 8.

That's a roundabout way of saying I'd been listening to XXHE mostly with an Audioquest Dragonfly as DAC, which is limited to 24/96.  I ordered a Geek Out when the Kickstarter campaign began, figuring this would make sample rates up to 384kHz available with XXHE.  But early noises out of the Light Harmonics people made it sound as if they would not include kernel streaming capability with their Windows driver(s).

Installed the Win 64-bit driver on Win 7 last night and opened up XXHE, not feeling optimistic.  But a pleasant surprise! - yep, the Geek Out allows KS.  Need to do more listening, but at least I can say it works with 44.1, 96, and 192 source material.  It could not maintain an SFS of 0.40; tried 0.44, fewer times skipping to the ends of songs but not totally gone; 0.48, good so far.  On the other hand, I don't know yet whether I have the buffer set correctly.  512 works, but is that correct/optimal?  Haven't had time to try anything else.

But the takeaway here is that if you want to have XXHE along on your travels, the Geek Out will work.

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
Mamba315
Audio Loudspeaker

Ferrari NOS1a

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2014, 08:42:14 pm »

Nice to know.  I have the Geek Out 1000 but have only hooked it up to the Mac so far.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: