XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 12:26:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jitter  (Read 28057 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2014, 01:05:45 pm »

Hey Nick,

Yeah, nice eh ?

Ps I took a look at the spec for the TS8100, what a great bit of kit, I can now add scope envy to the FFT analyser envy I already had haha !

Envy ? sheer obsession ! Well, I think you know how long I have been trying to find something suitable (which is all related to $$$$$ of course). And then to think that I sort of blindly ordered this one from some obscure looking Korean company expecting a brick in the box ... But it went all right.
TS-81000 btw.

Although I don’t have anything line the scope resolution you have with your TS8100, amplitude jitter and audio clock edge smearing and smearing of eye diagrams can be seen hear to some degree even on my modest scope.

Nah Nick, I don't think so. But the problem is, once the sampling speed is high enough this starts to look like that. But all what happens is that the sampling itself (and/or the math behind it) is jittery and that's what you see. Just do the math on what sampling speed it takes for analogue already to enable the visibility of 210ps of jitter. And when you are as far as that (will give "buyable" results) then know that the bandwidth (still in order) is too low to get any decent upright rise out if it (like you see in my screen shots something towards 90 degrees). So instead you'll have a triangle sine like flat shape and that won't allow time domain jitter to be seen.
Make that a digital sampling scope and not even 40GHz will bring you close.
But ok.

Reading your post above and your other resent post on the NOS1 upgrade, if I have understood them correctly you have applied a number of really important changes to the audio clock setup since the upgrades to my NOS1 were applied a couple of months ago. This is moth watering Happy

Well yes. And for other people's information : that few months ago I was as far as finally trying the isolation itself just to see what it would bring with small PCBs for that which I had (let) made and which were in the house for maybe 6 months already. So these were only there to test it, not to really apply it. So, they worked which wasn't all *that* exciting (but with my expectation that there could be a ground-potential-looping problem just because of the potential difference on either side which had to go somewhere (radiation !) but that problem didn't happen and actually it sounded quite OK as well. But as I told Nick, now we could be guaranteed to have jitter just because the isolation implies that. But it was just a trial in itself ...

With the boards and wires all over the place with a next attempt because I got that "other" idea of how to possibly apply this to the existing NOS1 while nothing was intended for that, that worked in one go and all what remained what now designing something that could be piggy-bagged to the existing NOS1; a challenge in itself because of the available space from all directions. But in the end it all worked out.
Right at this moment the only thing left is the wiring between USB and DAC in a nice decent fashion.
Oh, might someone know a source for 2.5-3.5 mm internal diameter cotton braided sleeve ... (and I mean one which ships and delivers within 2-3 days instead of possible weeks from the US).

The tuned results you are getting get in your last three graphs above look great, is the trace being taken from the directly from the bit clock feed to the DAC chips ?

Not sure whether you really intended to refer to the last three graphs, but yes. Or almost yes, because that couldn't be done directly for the best result without additional measurement wires. Point : The best result will not look better (scope limit). So if you look closely you see that I sneaked in a Word Clock shot (watch the frequencies) and this is all in advance of where the real stuff happens - but still good enough and thus knowing that the scope is not able to show better anyway.

important changes to the audio clock setup since the upgrades to my NOS1

On this one and especially for you (because you will be able to envision it from your situation as of now) :
The oscillators now are on one of these new PCBs ...

Hey Nick, as you will understand you were one of the great motivators for this. I mean, no matter what we all could find or try to reason for this USB sh*t, in my opinion this was not exactly under our control, no matter we could audibly improve on it. So that's why. Or maybe that's why with some priority now, because of course I have always been thinking about THE solution.

Thank you ...
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2014, 02:01:12 pm »

Oh, might someone know a source for 2.5-3.5 mm internal diameter cotton braided sleeve ...

Not necessary anymore !
Just found it close by.

Thanks.
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2014, 02:02:51 pm »

Hey Peter,

I have to say (to echo Nick) all the work you have done on this is super impressive. From an engineering perspective it is almost unheard of these days to experience this level of clarity, vision and execution.

Everything is digital nowadays and there is little proper engineering done - just bolt a few IC's together without any proper understanding of what is going on tends to be the normal approach. The old days of proper engineering (i.e. in the days of analogue) are largely a thing of the past. Except here of course!!!

Cheers

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 02:14:41 pm »

Thank you so much for the kind words Paul.
But aren't we all working on the same case ? It is only that some might have more $$ to begin with and investments *are* needed you know. And lots of time. Well, you guys just give me that time, helped mucho to set the priorities for it, motivate and ... well the $$ isn't the problem accidentally. It just has extended my own hobby to a level I could never have imagined a few years back. And I can honestly tell you, the real thing happens when we can turn that into sharing. But this is what audio is about and thus I can tell *once again* that this only can all happen when we do this together.

What to say more ...
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: