XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 26, 2024, 07:40:35 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Req: any USB cable tips?  (Read 76325 times)
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2014, 10:42:54 am »

Hi,

My standard USB cable is kind of broken. No matter how I connect it, after 10 minutes or so all error counters go bazerk. Sound collapses into static. Probably some buffer overflow.

No such thing with my cheapo 5 meter USB but unfortunately this cable has no Mojo. Differences between cables and such have become MAJOR since the NOS1a. Tried a more expensive one (35 euros) but the sound became awful.

Any recommendations for a 1.5-2m USB cable that suits the NOS1a?

Thanks,

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 11:48:05 am »

Ah, good luck Coen. I began my own quest to find the 'USB cable holy grail' immediately after receiving my (first) upgraded NOS1a and noticing that USB cables now made a massive difference. But in the end, I was defeated - just way too difficult with so many other variables (such as new speakers, etc). In the end, I opted to stick with my 'expensive' USB cable, which I stupidly paid a lot of money for (more than the NOS1a upgrade!).

If I were in your position, I'd probably try the iFi Mercury cable. I won't cost the earth, and seems (purely from pics and reports online) as if it's well put together.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 12:32:26 pm »

Hi,

somebody recommended this cable in the forum.

It has a great sound.

Joachim

http://www.yourfinalsystem.com/component/virtuemart/cables/audiophile-usb-cables/usb-reference-audiophile-usb-2-0-cable/highend-audiophile-usb-reference-cable-1-0m-dataonly-17-21-25-28-detail?Itemid=0
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 01:15:33 pm »

Hi Joachim,

Are your sure that a USB cable without power will work between the PC and the NOS1(a) ?

2 years ago I had an Sotm USB 3 PCIe card that has a switch to allow sending the 5V power in the USB cable or not.

To establish the connection it was necessary first to allow the power to flow between the PC and the NOS1, then (and only then) as soon as the 2 components connected, I could switch OFF the USB power...

I would test with an ordinary USB cable (on which the power is "masked" with a thin layer of isolation tape or plastic) first just to be on the safe side...

It seems that some dacs do not require this, but the NOS1 seem to use it at least for the connection time... (Peter ?)

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2014, 01:39:09 pm »

Hi Coen,

I was planning to buy this one: https://www.kabeltje.com/supra-usb-a-b-kabel-2-meter.

Real (?) 90 ohm, because that might be the most important.

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2014, 02:50:48 pm »

Hi Joachim,

Are your sure that a USB cable without power will work between the PC and the NOS1(a) ?

2 years ago I had an Sotm USB 3 PCIe card that has a switch to allow sending the 5V power in the USB cable or not.

To establish the connection it was necessary first to allow the power to flow between the PC and the NOS1, then (and only then) as soon as the 2 components connected, I could switch OFF the USB power...

I would test with an ordinary USB cable (on which the power is "masked" with a thin layer of isolation tape or plastic) first just to be on the safe side...

It seems that some dacs do not require this, but the NOS1 seem to use it at least for the connection time... (Peter ?)

Alain

Hi Alain,

somewhere Peter wrote no USB power connection between the PC and NOS1 is needed. I will look for his remark.

I bought this cable (I think Juan recommended it) at NOS1 times and there was a benefit to hear. There aren't any problems with this cable for the NOS1 and NOS1a in my system.

Joachim
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2014, 02:58:35 pm »

Maybe what I experienced has to do with the Sotm USB card itself ? I can't really say, since then I have removed it and now use the Silverstone PCIe card...

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 06:37:15 pm »

The SOtM won't work without power. Don't ask me why. Otherwise the power is not needed for the NOS1(a).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 06:41:53 pm »

I was planning to buy this one: https://www.kabeltje.com/supra-usb-a-b-kabel-2-meter.

Real (?) 90 ohm, because that might be the most important.

At last it "has it" in the specs : http://www.jenving.com/products/view/usb-2.0-a-b-blue-1m-1001907573
... and this is rare to begin with. But since this cable is often reviewed well ... looks good ?
The ones I found myself with explicit 90 Ohm spec (and then still wth +/-15% because that *is* the USB spec) can be counted on one finger and then still have to be made yourself (with the connectors).

So good ? And for 45 euros ... a no-brainer I suppose.

Stanley, nice find !
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 08:05:07 pm »

The SOtM won't work without power. Don't ask me why. Otherwise the power is not needed for the NOS1(a).

Peter
Hi Peter,

The sotm card needs power of course... I was talking about the switch that "cuts" the 5V that otherwise would be sent through the USB cable...

Here is how they tell it...

SOtm tX-USBexp Features
USB port
USB 3.0 compliant xHCI host controller
PCI express x1 Gen2 interface
Support for super-speed, high-speed, full-speed, and low-speed
USB port power on/off function
Over current protection
ESD protection

Alain
Edit: thinking about it again... I may not have understood your point - you mean that the Sotm will not work if power is not applied first at the USB port ?

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2014, 09:11:23 am »

Edit: thinking about it again... I may not have understood your point - you mean that the Sotm will not work if power is not applied first at the USB port ?

Alain, exactly. I too wasn't the most clear, but logically there was nothing in my mind about the power to the card itself. So there's a dipswitch on it for USB power, and without that set to On the NOS1 will not work. Again, no clue why but the card will be not compliant somewhere. And not to forget, the card's latency is also not on par, so something is fishy in there. Do notice though that this experience is from when it was first out (over 3 years ago by now ?).

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:49:52 pm »

@all,

Thank for the tips! The tech specs of the supra cable looked sound to me so I ordered a 1m length that will arrive in the coming weeks.

I'm rather discouraged by the audibility of the USB cable since it will be another variable in the audio chain making it more difficult to optimize with the aid of others (that have different setups). Hopefully the nice specs will translate into superior sound.

I will also put some more effort in eliminating noise at the computer side. This may provide insight into to the vast differences in sound between usb cables (despite the undoubtedly excellent noise suppression in the NOS1a).
Groundloops aside, I can envision reducing amplitude modulation of the carrier signal bij stabilizing the DC power and frequency modulation by enhancing the clock, which in itself is also for a large part a power supply stability solution. I hope that I catch noise on the USB powerline by these better supplies or maybe even disconnecting it at the USB3 card side.
The design of the SUPRA cable may help here also.

regards, Coen

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 12:23:54 pm »

If you want an exceptionally black back round, without high frequency grunge at very loud levels, you really ought to consider the data only cable Joachim posted about. You may initially feel that the sound is a bit soft compared to your out of the box USB printer cable but don't let that fool you. Turn it up, you'll be amazed.  Happy

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 03:14:23 pm »

I´m using a Mapleshade USB 2.0 cable with the NOS1a as I did with the NOS1 and the results are great. Listening The Moody Blues "Nights in white satin" I can perceive much more ambient with this cable than with others, music and voice seems to be in a big space with perspective and a lot of air around rather than being a flat sound in a constrained place. This is an old recording but the ambient can be perceived, or not, easily with one cable or another.

Another option I would not discard is Peter´s standard cable, I mean the one that comes with the NOS1. This is a very cheap and common cable but for some reason I find it a very good one, very close to the Mapleshade cable although perhaps a bit smoother (which could be better in some cases).

Mapleshade Clearlink Plus: http://shop.mapleshadestore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=CLEARLINK3-B-PL

Regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 04:06:28 pm »

So USB cables is kind of uncharted territory for me ...

The only other USB cable I have is the
http://www.neo-w.com/english/d_usb-2.html
The "S" cable ..... Which I briefly experimented without much success, though it was well regarded in places like audio exotics.

I followed Mani's recommendation on iFi, and found their top of the line
USB http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/micro-iusbpower/
http://ifi-audio.com/portfolio-view/accessory-ipurifier/
setup with the power dual cable and purifier
However having 4 components for USB did not make sense to me

Then I read up on the total dac USB cable
http://www.totaldac.com/USB_cable-eng.html

Now Joachim's/Boleary's recommendation seems most simple.
So .... Is there any issues with the DAC and server sync ? Any downsides otherwise for a data only cable?

Thanks in advance
VJ
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 05:16:00 pm »

I also just ordered the Supra USB Cable mentioned above.

Should be here within a week.

https://www.hifisound.de/Hifi-Zubehoer/Kabel-konfektioniert/Digital/SUPRA-USB-2-0-A-B-KABEL.html

Regards, Michael

Custom Built XXHighend PC with Xeon processors and not fans -> XXHighend Player 2.02 with Win 10 10074 -> Claxius USB Cable -> Phasure NOS1a -> Blaxius Cable -> Violectric V281  Headphone Amp -> Abyss AB-1266 (best headphone in the world)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 06:41:23 pm »

A bit stupid that the Supra is nowhere on stock else than in Sweden (as it seems). I never like to wait forever ...
So this is the only reason I did not try it myself - really.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 06:56:54 pm »

A bit stupid that the Supra is nowhere on stock else than in Sweden (as it seems). I never like to wait forever ...
So this is the only reason I did not try it myself - really.

Peter

You can find it in Amazon UK or Amazon Spain

Regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 10:22:12 am »

Is there any issues with the DAC and server sync ? Any downsides otherwise for a data only cable?

Thanks in advance
VJ

Hi VJ,

when you have a look to the following link

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1744.msg17482#msg17482

under Specifications,
where Peter mentioned:(NOS1) - USB is powered by an internal dedicated linear power supply.

So, the USB cable from the PC to the NOS1 carries "datas" only.
Until now I did not face any problems with the "data only" USB cable (everything is in "sync").

Joachim

vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2014, 03:28:36 am »

Just got the YFS cable in and running this PM.
 very happy
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 02:04:18 pm »

Anyone received his Supra cable yet ? Results ?
I know of one, bit his NOS1a id not arrive yet. swoon

Mine just arrived. Will try it tonight.

Peter

PS: Thank you Juan - I never considered Amazon. But it was not available in Spain; in Germany it was (2 left at the moment I ordered).
Edit : Of the 2m I needed.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 03:44:48 pm »

Still waiting for the 0,7m  unhappy

Stanley

AudioPC: Passive Intel i7-2600S / Hyperthreading On / Motherboard: Asus P8H67-V/ RAM: Kingston DDR3 32GB/ Motherboard USB3.0 to NOS1a / PSU: Silentmaxx Fanless II/ no computer cabinet and no fans (NoFan 80 EH passive CPU cooler) / Music via LAN on SSD on MusicServerPC (desktop computer-W10)/ All music in WAV /Control on desktop computer or on Macbook Air <-> Wifi <-> separate (audio)router <-> LAN <-> MusicServerPC <-> LAN <-> AudioPC.

September 2021: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM/ XXHE 2.11 / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/1 / Q1Factor = 4/ Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 10ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 10.13 (max 10,13)/ No Filter/ not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Peak Extend Off /Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback/ UnAttended / All Services Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : 62, 1, -, 1, 1/ Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Custom Filtering Low (16x) / -> Lush^3 USB-cable 70cm (A: W-Y-R-G, B: W-G) > Phasure NOS1a 75B G3 DAC, Driver v1.0.4) (16ms)/ Output via Balanced Blaxius BNC Interlinks > Audio Analogue Maestro monoblock amplifier > speakers: Apogee Acoustics Scintilla (custom rebuild).
Michel
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 11:53:09 pm »

Maybe an option to make the usb cable? You can specify what you want.
For I about  35 a 45, - for one meter. At least that's what I paid. This 1 have is better than the Kimber cable usb i had.
I can not mention the name, I assume? The guy lives in The Netherlands.(Almelo)  Grin?

Greetings
Michel
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 10:32:12 am »

Hi Michael,

You can mention what you want. But it's a sort of your responsibility that dozens of people are going to try it because you say it will be for the better. Also see next post ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 10:52:48 am »

All,

Let me start like this :
The back of the package the Supra cable comes in, even more states what we like :
"PE insulated wires with correct 90 Ohms impedance design".
And from seeing the package my readily remark was : HOAX.

How ?

It does not matter when you put out nice texts like I just quoted if you next literally destroy the dielectricum of the cable with such tight tierips that it almost makes the internal wires bare.
I forgot the number of windings needed for this 2m cable in the package, but say 5 and with two tierips so super tight the cable is molested at 10 places.
True, without knowing the dilectricum it feels and weighs like the air needed to create something like "correct 90 Ohm" but if this is the treatment afterwards ... no

But of course I was hopeful and at 7:30pm the cable went in;
I had been playing for 1.5 hour so so in advance of that and at a third track of the album playing I pressed Pause, changed cables and pressed Play again. Now envision (and believe me) :

Within 2 seconds I said WHAT !?
boom-boom-boom-boom - that is what I heard. And yes, those 2 seconds are for real so that bad.
It was after not more than 20 seconds that I expressed a : nothing works. NOTHING. So much nothing that I can't begin to point it out (and I won't). There was totally no music coming from anywhere.

This happened in a stage of co-listeners doing other things so whatever I said was not really heard or talked about. All I noticed is that someone put on headphones connected to an iPad and that lasted for the whole session (which was to 10:30pm). This was very rare to begin with.
Meanwhile I was seeking and seeking for music which wanted to "play" but could not find anything. All I knew was "hold on Peter, maybe some breaking in is required". Yeah, well ...

At this 10:30pm when the music was stopped, the headphone person finally took them off and THEN said : well, that was such sh*t - better don't do that again.
Ehm, I thought you were not listening ?
Answer : why do you think I put on those headphones in the first place ? and besides, no headphones helped anyway.

Oh.
Well, the least I could do was being gracefully thankful for the proof it wasn't my ears or mood.

I could try to think that it's the tierips. Officially that will be so, but suddenly *that* bad ? I can't tell and I can't repair it either. One hint : when you receive this cable, you most probably will see the same and you should send it back and ask for a refund. Could be hard to explain to the seller (unless it is the manufacturer himself), but anyway you'll have these rights. Whether it is worth the effort is something else (but still 49 euros ex VAT).

Michael, I suppose your cable looks the same regarding the tierips ?

Bweh,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 12:24:39 pm »

Oh no...

One of the reasons that I initially purchased a NOS1 was so that I could get off the USB cable merry-go-round.

Maybe I need to borrow my old Revelation Audio Labs USB cable from the guy I sold it to.

Sad

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 12:42:02 pm »

The one I took out was the $1 stock one. That must be our luck ?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 04:07:34 pm »

Supra Uses tin in a litz fashion.

I have prevoiusly used their speaker cables in the past.
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 08:09:46 pm »

Hmm, this isn't very promising.

No news on my 1m order, should have been 3-5 days, but possibly they meant 3-5 weeks.

I am going to order a couple of loose USB A and B connectors and solder them on the stock cable. Hopefully this will make better contact.

Regards, Coen

michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 08:20:10 pm »

Peter
I also received the USB cable from Supra but I cannot really comment about it. As you know, my Phasure is about to be shipped and will arrive hopefully soon.

Can you tell me what exactly you mean by tierips?

Can you show on a photo what you mean exactly? Not really sure I understand.

Regards, Michael

Custom Built XXHighend PC with Xeon processors and not fans -> XXHighend Player 2.02 with Win 10 10074 -> Claxius USB Cable -> Phasure NOS1a -> Blaxius Cable -> Violectric V281  Headphone Amp -> Abyss AB-1266 (best headphone in the world)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 08:30:07 pm »

This is after a day if "recovering".
And as said, I really don't know whether it is this doing it.

The "tierips" are the white straps which bind the cable together.

* Supra01.png (575.94 KB, 597x881 - viewed 877 times.)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Mamba315
Audio Loudspeaker

Ferrari NOS1a

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 08:39:20 pm »

Called cable ties, at least in my part of the world.  Guess I won't be trying that cable..!
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 08:42:20 pm »

They also call them "tie wrap"...

* tiewrap.gif (12.21 KB, 300x155 - viewed 862 times.)

Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2014, 09:47:12 pm »

Or "tyraps" or "trekbandje" in Dutch.

michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2014, 10:29:22 pm »

Hi

Just checked my Supra, no such markings there.
Furthermore from what I can tell, there is no audible difference using another high quality USB cable I have.

but this is for another DAC.

Regards, Michael

Michel
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2014, 10:53:20 pm »

Peter,

Nope no tyraps marks on mine usb cable. Cool
The guy i talking about is Ronald Overbosch from Concept& Design in Almelo.

I think you know the guy..x-fi show 2013 mayby?
He calculated no hi end prices. But the wires are hi end. And you can make it as expensive as you want.
He makes very nice cables.

Kind Regards,
Michel
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2014, 08:50:22 am »

Hi Peter

My conclusion for your Supra Cable problems is that it must be broken.
Otherwise that would be kind of a contradiction to your statement that USB cable influence with the NOS1a is almost zero?
At least that is what I understood by reading through some posts here in the forum.

Regards Michael

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:08 am »

Hi Michael,

The "no influence" counted for the NOS1; For the "a" version it is known to be under the influence of the USB cable.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2014, 10:55:27 am »

Ahum ...

I thought that in both the cases "Michel" and "Michael" I was responding to Michael (I never saw the difference). So please take this into account when a response from me looks odd.

How someone named Michel is able to have a Supra cable (as the only other person having one now ?) and nicely responds about that while I was asking Michael of whom I know he received one ... ?
We better join some lottery !

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Michel
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2014, 11:38:05 am »

Peter, my mistake. I thought it was a typo. wacko
My intention was to help ...

Kind Regards,
Michel
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2014, 12:14:22 pm »

Based on some research these German guys seem to make a very decent USB Cable:

http://www.aqvox.de/cable.html

And here a very interseting article in German about USB Cables.

http://www.audio.de/ratgeber/tipps-und-tricks-zur-musik-uebertragung-per-usb-1163895.html

Price for the Aqvox cable 1m is about 150 Euros.

Regards, Michael

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2014, 12:38:08 pm »

MichAel,
Wink
Maybe a bit hard to explain, but let's say that such a "search" for USB cables has been - and still is - performed all over the globe. In our forum this has been less of a subject, because thinking "NOS1 oriented" it was not much necessary. Still today I personally do not think there's any real hope in finding the cable that brings us in Walhalla because it all depends ...

What I want to say is that you "just missed" the kind of new apporach we adopted here since maybe 6 weeks : do not pay audiophile prices for any sort of cable that can't prove its merits to begin with. Or better put : "we" started to think about specs instead and how any fairly normal "1$" cable could meet those specs. This is how the "90 Ohm" came about for USB cables, because that's the spec for it. This is also how the Supra would be able to do it, because at least that one tells about the 90 Ohm to begin with. Just look for others and you will see how difficult it is (two days of search brought me exactly ONE cable which should be reliably OK and then still it has to be made ourselves).
This is also why I was happy that Stanley came up with the Supra.

Let me additionally tell you more explicitly that "we" (NOS1 owners) are not experienced with the stupid USB cable endeavours just because it did not matter anyway. And maybe it still does not if only one of us finds the proper setup. Not that I have hope for that, but it can happen.
So for you a small example of what we went through for a "better setup" : Isolate the USB connection from the PC (this is about the famous Silverstone card you ay have read about). But also : when I test a cable (like with the Supra) I have this isolated USB in order. Would it be the best ? I don't know. It would need to re-isolate the connection and try again. But will *I* ? No. I am satisfied as it is, and spending 49 euros is fair enough to quickly try it. QUICKLY. That is important for me; it takes too many days for me for the judging when the sound seems OK in the first place and when something sounds wrong to begin with I am happy that I don't need to enter that stage of x days listening to all sorts of music types.
So all is to be seen in this context.

To be very honest : I think it would be better if we spent our time on finding the setup which again eliminates the USB cable influence. "We" now sounds nice, but it will come down to "me" because of the more possibilities I have in tweaking. On the other hand nobody should wait for that because that takes even more time (with the notice that this is pending for maybe 4 months and I could not spend a minute on it so far).

The least I will do know is spend relatively little time in making such a 90 Ohm cable myself. Or, when everybody who ordered the Supra is claiming a "way better !" then that would be the best and next it will be easy for me to dig out why over here it does not work at all.
Never ever count on one experience ALSO NOT when it is mine.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2014, 01:59:10 pm »

Peter

Thanks for your detailed explanations.
I agree that paying such a high a amout for a cable is a potential way but paying below 50 Euros for a cable is more resonalble.

BTW, I saw USB cables out there for a over 500 Euros Wink

Rearding the Supras I can say they seem fine to me.

Me myself I still consider the Aqvox USB cable, but only if I need a shorter one. My Supra is 3m, if I change my setup I might be able to reduce it to 1m length.

We will see.

Michael

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2014, 06:56:52 pm »

Peter, my mistake. I thought it was a typo. wacko
My intention was to help ...

Kind Regards,
Michel

Hi Michel, just to be om the safe side : You did help of course. I only wondered how out of everybody two persons with about the same name have that cable. So of course it was me who made the mistake. I guess I had my eyes closed ...

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2014, 07:30:57 pm »

I just purchased the YSM  cable Joachim mentioned (see link below)

http://www.yourfinalsystem.com/component/virtuemart/cables/audiophile-usb-cables/usb-reference-audiophile-usb-2-0-cable/highend-audiophile-usb-reference-cable-1-0m-dataonly-17-21-25-28-detail?Itemid=0

I do not have it yet but when it arrives I will let you know if I notice a change in the sound. Honestly with the NOS1a the sound is so good and lifelike I do not expect to hear much if any difference.

MACH lll PC 14/28 / RAM OS 10493/ 2.10 Phasure NOS1a G3 24/768 USB DAC KS mode -Adaptive/Device buffer -4096/DAC is 32bits 768khz/DAC needs -32bits/Phase Alignment - NO/Format Change - enable/ Decode HDCD ON/Processor Core Appointment 3-5/Player Prio LOW/Thread Prio Real Time/Clock Res 15ms/Xtweaks 64,1,1,0,1/ SFS 5.19 MAX 120/Include garbage collect ON/Copy to XXdrive by standard ON/Stop Desktop ON/Stop Remaining ON/Stop Wasapi ON/Keep LAN ON/Use remote desktop ON/Persist ON/OSD ON/Coverart show Wallpaper, show back, at attended, show mirror back/ Q1,3,4,5,xQ1-30,1,1,0,1/40/ Amp: Music Reference RM200 HC version / Speakers Omega HO Alnico Monitors with Audio Smile Super Tweeters  Bass augmented by 2 GR Research OB subwoofers
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2014, 08:32:35 pm »

Today I´ve discovered this "double head" USB cable, has anyone heard about it?:
http://www.audiocadabra.com/blog/optimus-handcrafted-dual-headed-usb-cables/

Regards,
Juan

Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2014, 08:50:56 pm »

Has anyone tried the Lightspeed

http://www.lightharmonic.com/lightspeed.html

by all accounts the best at the moment?

Gosh after spending lots of euros on the NOS1, computer front ends and Orelino's, I can't understand why some are trying to make a silk purse out of a pigs ear with cables.

Same goes for interconnects with BNC. BNC is a very valid connection but the cable quality of most 75ohm commercial grade cables is not good enough for Hi-Fi.

Cables should be considered a critical component same as a DAC. It is hard to justify some cable prices but listening is the proof. I can't go past Nordost these days and I've listened to lots plus made them.

They do have crazy pricing but after listening can't live without them.

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
Stanray
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2014, 10:30:40 pm »

QED Performance Graphite USB.

Another USB cable with specs: http://www.futureshop.co.uk/product_info.php?currency=EUR&products_id=6567&osCsid=3npgstfbgmt4jp996eoimq6896#.VFAI_4ePthp

Stanley

christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #48 on: October 29, 2014, 12:54:25 am »

Same goes for interconnects with BNC. BNC is a very valid connection but the cable quality of most 75ohm commercial grade cables is not good enough for Hi-Fi.

Hi Robert,

the amazing sound  of the NOS1 with a BNC cable connection to the poweramp is dependent on the NOS1 (Christmas is coming soon), because with other DACs (Weiss) I did not get the same results by far.

Prior to the 50 Ohm  BNC cable I used RCA cables from Nordost (Valhalla) and later on one from Entreq.

For a second hand Valhalla 1m RCA we have to pay at least € 1400,00 in Europe, and we get a first quality 1,5m BNC cable (RG223) for less than € 100,00.

Joachim
vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 29, 2014, 02:05:38 am »

Guys,
Before looking at any other USB cable, please consider the YFS cable previously suggested. I have it playing for a week (however <100 hrs required for breakin), "clear" improvement in SNR by at least 6 dB from the stock cable.

Btw Peters cable will be the default gold standard cable, considering it was the cable used for the development of NOS and XXHE!

Maybe I'll ask Kevin if I can send this on a tour!

clapping yahoo Happy new year ! Happy new year ! Happy new year !
*edit* Kevin from YFS has agreed for a cable tour!!
Requirement Phasure NOS -1/a DAC
So people interested kindly PM me their info, and we can plan this tour.
Hopefully we can find a way for our international phasure owners to try as well.
Input on the forum will be appreciated!
VJ

P.s I don't specialize in this stuff, it's just my enthusiasm. (And my first time) So things might be sluggish and jittery!
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #50 on: October 29, 2014, 08:28:02 am »

Hi Robert,

the amazing sound  of the NOS1 with a BNC cable connection to the poweramp is dependent on the NOS1 (Christmas is coming soon), because with other DACs (Weiss) I did not get the same results by far.

Prior to the 50 Ohm  BNC cable I used RCA cables from Nordost (Valhalla) and later on one from Entreq.

For a second hand Valhalla 1m RCA we have to pay at least € 1400,00 in Europe, and we get a first quality 1,5m BNC cable (RG223) for less than € 100,00.

Joachim

Hello Joachim

Not sure but why are you not using XLR Cables?
Is there any thread here explaining why BNC would be superior to even XLR?

Speaking of XLR and Cables.... maybe people do not used them with their Phasure setup here not often.

Regards, Michael

boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: October 29, 2014, 11:18:50 am »

For further reading on USB cables in this forum, and the YFS data only cable in particular, look here, page 4. Not everyone who tried to replicate a data only cable had good results:

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2701.45

XX2.07/MB: ASRock Extreme 4M , i7-3930K @ 0.5GHz/ RAM-OS W10586/32 Gigs 1600 DDR3/ Clarixa usb cable  /Q1,3,4,5 = *14*/1/1/*1* / *Q1Factor = 1* / Peak Extension: Off/Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *.5ms* / Straight Contiguous / SFS = *.02,/ Do Nothing With Cover Art / not Invert / *(Phase Alignment Off  / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3-5 / UnAttended (Just Start) / *All* Services Off except LAN & RDC/ Persist off/No OSD / No Running Time / Minimize OS / Boost on/XTweaks : Balanced Load = *40* / Nervous Rate = 1/ Cool when Idle = NA / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Best/ Time Stability = On/ No Up-sampling/R-2R DAC
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: October 29, 2014, 12:54:57 pm »

Hi Robert,

Joachim

Hello Joachim

Not sure but why are you not using XLR Cables?

Speaking of XLR and Cables.... maybe people do not used them with their Phasure setup here not often.

Regards, Michael

Hi Michael,

I´m using XLR cables with my NOS1a and I´d like to try the BNC cables but it looks that the XLR/BNC adapters do not maintain the BNC impedance which seems to be essential to get the sound the BNC cable. Maybe someone has a solution for the ones that use XLR connections in order to use a BNC cable, or is it impossible?

Kind regards,
Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #53 on: October 29, 2014, 05:03:29 pm »

Quote from: michaeljeger

Michael, quite hard to miss :
Cables with BNC Connectors/Adapters Are Generating A Superoir SQ

(Joachim already responded to this question from you, but he abusively put it in the topic itself (the one I just linked to)).
Edit : Joachim's response to you is here : Re: Cables with BNC Connectors/Adapters Are Generating A Superoir SQ

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2014, 05:18:20 pm »

Yeah, well, maybe not. The QED site tells nothing about it and although the general description looks good to me (again), this does not at all :

•Impedance 90Ω ± 15 Ω

Notic that this is from the site you linked to, Stanley.
Now laugh :
Who ever made this nice line up made a small mistake (and notice this is thus not listed at the QED site).
USB specifications are 90 Ohm +/ 15 %.
Now do the math; 15% x 90 = ... 13.5. So deviation (+/-) is allowed to be 13.5 Ohm. And this one is the most officially listed as deviating 15 Ohm.

Happy now ?
swoonswoonswoonswoonswoon

Obviously someone with the knowlegde made a typo. That is, I assume that this is not to let you fall in a pitfall. But still, who made up that figure in the first place ?

Still thanks of course and maybe it is ok. But I'll refrain this time (just because I don't feel the need and not because I feel this won't work (again)).

Best regards,
Peter

PS: Start to smell nastyness when anyone lists his cable as +/- 15% because this is just the USB2 spec. Also notice that the deviation like this *is* the spec because the impedance varies per frequency (say USB speed used). To me this doesn't tell at all that someone can come up with a +/- 10% for example. So the first one listing that will be my man (because there's no reason for it (because the spec is "less") so if it was done it must be "genuine" - at least that would be my view).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2014, 08:38:51 pm »

Quote from: michaeljeger

Michael, quite hard to miss :
Cables with BNC Connectors/Adapters Are Generating A Superoir SQ

(Joachim already responded to this question from you, but he abusively put it in the topic itself (the one I just linked to)).
Edit : Joachim's response to you is here : Re: Cables with BNC Connectors/Adapters Are Generating A Superoir SQ

Peter

Hello Peter

Thanks for the link. This topic was not on my radar so far.

Will read some more into it because most of it I do not really understand.

One feedback I can give about the Supra USB cable:
I do not like it. Will not use it further.

I have another USB cable I prefer.

I will see how they compare on the NOS1a.

Regards, Michael

fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #56 on: October 29, 2014, 11:30:26 pm »

I just installed the YFS Reference USB cable to the NOS1a. Not broken in yet but already highly recommended. I was actually surprised to hear such an audible difference. I guess I am replacing my $5 cable after all.

Something off topic but readily observed with the NOS1a; With the NOS1, I never really noticed a large difference with Hi-Res files vs. Redbook but now there is significant audible difference.

Usually for the better. Try Nora Jones "Come Away With Me" or U2 "Mysterious Ways"

Or not for the better. Try Cassandra Wilson "New Moon Daughter"

MACH lll PC 14/28 / RAM OS 10493/ 2.10 Phasure NOS1a G3 24/768 USB DAC KS mode -Adaptive/Device buffer -4096/DAC is 32bits 768khz/DAC needs -32bits/Phase Alignment - NO/Format Change - enable/ Decode HDCD ON/Processor Core Appointment 3-5/Player Prio LOW/Thread Prio Real Time/Clock Res 15ms/Xtweaks 64,1,1,0,1/ SFS 5.19 MAX 120/Include garbage collect ON/Copy to XXdrive by standard ON/Stop Desktop ON/Stop Remaining ON/Stop Wasapi ON/Keep LAN ON/Use remote desktop ON/Persist ON/OSD ON/Coverart show Wallpaper, show back, at attended, show mirror back/ Q1,3,4,5,xQ1-30,1,1,0,1/40/ Amp: Music Reference RM200 HC version / Speakers Omega HO Alnico Monitors with Audio Smile Super Tweeters  Bass augmented by 2 GR Research OB subwoofers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:22 am »

For further reading on USB cables in this forum, and the YFS data only cable in particular, look here, page 4. Not everyone who tried to replicate a data only cable had good results:

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=2701.45

WOW, I just spent 20 minutes reading in there. Funny how all reads as "never seen before" just because one year later quite some contexts changed (for me at least).
Highly recommended to read (I started at that page 4) because I think it may set our minds straight in the context of "USB Cables do matter" - which really wasn't my own adoption that year ago ... (for NOS1 that was).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2014, 09:21:17 am »

Something off topic but readily observed with the NOS1a; With the NOS1, I never really noticed a large difference with Hi-Res files vs. Redbook but now there is significant audible difference.

I can tell you ... I have been waiting for a post about this. So off topic or not, this has been my own notice about Hires right since the NOS1a. Maybe a little different from your observation, because it seems that I now can play Hires without most of the time disliking it. So I'd say Hires got better from it ?
But not for this topic. So if anyone has some more explicits to say about this, please feel free to open a topic for it.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2014, 02:09:00 pm »

The YFS cable tour will start in Europe.  Wink
 A 1.0 m length cable will be shipped out soon.
everyone will have 1 week to try it out.
so anyone interested let me know!
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2014, 02:48:40 pm »

Hi VJ, I'm definitely interested in giving it a go. I've sent you a PM...

Cheers, Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
boleary
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2014, 09:26:49 pm »

Hey VJ, I assume a US tour too? I have a 6' YFS v4 data only. Would love to see if there is a difference with about a 3' "reference" version of the YFS cable.  Happy Let me know and thanks so much for putting this together!

Brian

vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 31, 2014, 03:06:08 am »

Ofcourse! As soon as the cable returns from Europe! yes
Mamba315
Audio Loudspeaker

Ferrari NOS1a

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2014, 05:57:12 am »

I would be interested in US tour when the time comes.  I'm in central CA.
vrao
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 31, 2014, 06:25:14 am »

I'll send out a notification for the U.S. tour!! All are welcome
 Grin
fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2014, 10:47:45 am »

I have had to forego the tour as I bought before it started innocent

If anyone is in the Boston area, they are more than welcome to come listen

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2014, 05:29:18 pm »

Hahaha, expect 10+
No wait, 11+ since about now. You know ...

Happy Happy

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2014, 10:55:07 pm »

HAHAHAHA
Yes I do know. But I did not know 10+ near Boston love this

Sounds like time for PARTY clapping

I can line up a caterer AND the cable ok

Not to mention the NOS1a Nice

Life is good

CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 05, 2014, 12:34:31 pm »

FYI: YFS is passed on to Stanley (Stanray). He has quite a different setup so I am looking forward to his first impressions.

Hopefully this weekend I will find the time to post some closing remarks. These will include my impressions of a 0,7m Supra USB2 cable.
But first: Sinterklaas!

regards, Coen

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #69 on: December 05, 2014, 05:36:35 pm »

But first: Sinterklaas!

I can't help it, but this one I play once per year on this evening. For years and years and years by now.
(and getting better each year Happy)

* Sint01.jpg (196.2 KB, 460x448 - viewed 876 times.)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:59 pm »

LOL!!!

That must be fun!

For the curious: http://youtu.be/tpf6dhZXYGY

Regards, Coen

acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 05, 2014, 10:30:25 pm »

OMG!  I can't believe I just listened to that.

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: December 06, 2014, 12:35:29 am »

I endorse Anthony's words... This hasn't been recorded on our planet ? wacko

Wink

Alain

Michel
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: December 06, 2014, 12:15:49 pm »

stampen  smile

Good old days...
Damn iam getting old!

Regards
Michel
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2014, 11:46:42 pm »

I promised some closing remarks on my time with the YFS cable. Here they are.

I gave the cable some serious XX playlist time to give it a little extra 'burn in'. When I was ready to expose myself to the cooked cable my amplifier's right channel stopped working. This was eventually solved by a simple repair... only after 8 days. Just couldn't find the time to do this with a 'fresh' mood.
So now I was completely reset auditorily and had a slightly improved amp to boot.

What can I say, it's character of solid and very clear and detailed images remained as did the feel of dynamics, yet it all was dressed in a smoother jacket. But also even though listening to Kate & Peter and other tracks made more sense now, I think it ultimately didn't add up to the enhanced musical experience at my listening seat I hoped for.

Lastly just before its departure, the Blaxius arrived. A quick listen did not reveal new things from the YFS, only that the Blaxius digs much deeper into the music which enhances the YFSs strong points.

Now I would like to address my sincerest thanks for VJ and of course the cable proprietor who made this educational experience possible. good

The cable is now further on its tour and I am looking forward to the impressions of the next in line. And I trust you to keep in mind that my comments are made in the context of my system and listening preferences and to be as unbiased as possible!

regards, Coen

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: December 09, 2014, 09:35:18 am »

I endorse Anthony's words... This hasn't been recorded on our planet ? wacko

Wink

I'm afraid you can't get much of it when Dutch is not your language; can't get the gag then. For fun I'll try to explain a bit :

So this is about "Sinterklaas" we have here and which ever back was a saint. Very similar to Santa Klaus but now for December 5th. Loves children and such, and the "Pieten" (the Pete's) are his helpers. OK.

Most what is given to the children is candy of various sorts.
All comes along with children required to sing nice Sinterklaas songs before going to bed, and when executed well the next morning there will be candy etc. in the shoe which was set in front of the fire place (he and is helpers come through the chimney of course).

So you have heard the type of music of this CD - call it "House". All tracks on it are actually existing very nice songs, normally sung by sweet (often children) choirs. This was made of it ...

But what you couldn't get is that the red thread through all the songs is about candy. You know, that candy which these days seems necesessary to survive a dance party (former House Party) until 7am. The Pieten are the bad young boys here and Sinterklaas is forced to go along with modern times (he is 100s of years old) and has problems with that. The "old sucker !" is all over the place.

As a matter of (my) fact it is a great CD for children who just stopped believing in Sinterklaas' existence and to learn how a nice sweet world can be destroyed by the surrounding. Children get that easily and although the CD seems to teach the other way around, it is in my view a best thing to show how real life will be when not careful.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #76 on: December 09, 2014, 02:03:13 pm »

Thanks for the clarifications. Of course I was joking, but to know what something is about is always interesting Happy

I recently got a DVD from Australia for one song that I liked very much: "I can sing a rainbow". Each time I hear that song, it touches something very sensitve that connects with memories.

Alain

brunok
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 09, 2014, 06:19:51 pm »

Wait a minute?!  You mean there is no "Sinterklaas"!!!
 unhappy
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2014, 06:51:17 pm »

I am dead sure there is !
But our son says it is not true. And at some stage we have to follow the younger generation.
I guess !

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: