XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 08:36:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Network storage  (Read 136155 times)
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: February 29, 2016, 04:54:33 pm »

I was wondering... Is the Windows firewall necessary ? I thought that a router already has its own firewall ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: February 29, 2016, 05:05:41 pm »

PS. Call me completely crazy, but has the SQ improved? Must be imagining it.

No, I wasn't imagining it... or at least not totally. The sound definitely changed, but not necessarily for the better. It was sharper and more edgy than earlier. But nothing to do with the new music server - just me forgetting to set Q5 back from 0 to 1.

Lesson? If you feel your sound is a tad too sharp, check your Q5.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: February 29, 2016, 05:09:28 pm »

I was wondering... Is the Windows firewall necessary ? I thought that a router already has its own firewall ?

I'm not sure what the best advice is, but feel that as long as performance isn't being affected (too much), why not have extra security? But having said that, I never use any virus protection programs (but happy to leave Defender on nowadays for my work PC and work laptop).

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2016, 10:11:37 am »

PS. Call me completely crazy, but has the SQ improved? Must be imagining it.

No, I wasn't imagining it... or at least not totally. The sound definitely changed, but not necessarily for the better. It was sharper and more edgy than earlier. But nothing to do with the new music server - just me forgetting to set Q5 back from 0 to 1.

Nah... I was right in the first place! (For sure, Q5 makes a difference, but not to the extent that I'm hearing.) With a few days of intensive listening, I can say without a shadow of a doubt that the SQ has taken a massive leap forward with the new music server. I'd say the improvement is close to that of the RAM-OS!

OK, so what exactly is going on? I remember a few years ago now trying HQPlayer's 'Network Audio Adapter' and finding that the sound changed depending on whether the music was stored on the player PC's HDD or on an external Synology NAS via a network switch. I just couldn't understand why. Jusssi (HQP developer) seemed to dismiss the possibility that the sound could have changed at all. But now, thinking about it, I think I was hearing the affect of noise coming through the LAN to the DAC via the NAA.

My current thinking is veering towards the network switch as being the culprit. I mean, there are all those 'high-speed' digital connections that the switch has to contend with. The noise must be high. Of course, ethernet connections are galvanically isolated by design, but this has nothing to do with stopping noise getting through (something I think a lot of people don't understand). The 'digital die-hards' will tell you that noise in a digital system doesn't matter - that's the whole beauty of digital. But they don't know how digital music works - if the noise finds its way through to the DAC, it will produce jitter, which will kill the sound.

Soooooooo... we've now got to not only contend with the USB connection from the audio-PC to the DAC, but also the bloody ethernet connection into the audio-PC. Isn't this hobby just wonderful?

On the bright side, I now have the best sound in my room that I have ever heard... anywhere  Wink

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2016, 02:38:37 pm »

My current thinking is veering towards the network switch as being the culprit. I mean, there are all those 'high-speed' digital connections that the switch has to contend with. The noise must be high. Of course, ethernet connections are galvanically isolated by design, but this has nothing to do with stopping noise getting through (something I think a lot of people don't understand). The 'digital die-hards' will tell you that noise in a digital system doesn't matter - that's the whole beauty of digital. But they don't know how digital music works - if the noise finds its way through to the DAC, it will produce jitter, which will kill the sound.

Mani.

Coincidentally today I removed the switch that was between the Music and Audio Pc. It seems to be a slight improvement in SQ with less edgy sound in general. It appears also that the transfer rate is similar to the one  with the switch. So now the switch is out and the connection between the two computers is made through a direct cable. Peter was right and it seems that the speed does not increase with the switch, at least it isn't perceptible with only one Ethernet cable of 3m length.

Regards
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2016, 07:43:37 pm »

It seems to be a slight improvement in SQ with less edgy sound in general.

Hi Juan, in your previous setup did you have a lot of other devices connected to the switch at the same time? I suspect this is where most of the improvement (decrease in noise) would come from.

I have to say, I still can't quite get my head around the level of improvement over here. Certainly, I'd urge everyone to go for a direct connection between the music-PC and the audio-PC. No problem if you only have one ethernet port on your music-PC mobo - just buy a PCIe card.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
Arjan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2016, 08:30:24 pm »

Hi,
Because I also found this improvements in SQ because of the music server. That supprised me, therefor I also added a network isolator in the lan connection. A network isolator med MI 1005 (100 euro).

Someone else made this suggestion in this forum! And to my ears it helps, more rest and details in the highs.

So even on the lan side improvements are possible.
Regards, Arjan

March, 2018 (2.10)
Music Server (old PC) RDC to Mach II Stealth 14393 RAM-OS / no videocard / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/3/4/5 = 30/0/1/1/ Q1Factor = 40 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 0.5ms / SFS = 5.19 Mx = 120 Straight Contiguous / driver buffer 16ms / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = High / Scheme = 3-5 / Unattended / Minimize OS / PeakExtend off / Arc Prediction / NO custom filter / 16x Upsampling / XTweaks 38 (turbo boost off in bios and cpu ratio 24!),1,-,0,1/with coverart / --> mobo USB --> The Lush 100 cm --> NOS1a 75B --> Blaxius --> bnc amps Jadis JA30 (modified and with the best tubes) --> Speakers
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 12:20:19 am »

It seems to be a slight improvement in SQ with less edgy sound in general.

Hi Juan, in your previous setup did you have a lot of other devices connected to the switch at the same time? I suspect this is where most of the improvement (decrease in noise) would come from.
Mani.

Hi Mani, I was using the switch with the only intention of making the transference of data faster and more stable between the Music Pc and the Audio Pc. I haven't had any device connected to the switch, it was just in the middle of two Ethernet cables. My music is in a dock connected with a USB 3.0 cable to the Music Pc. That I didn't had other devices connected to the switch is probably the reason I could not hear a greater improvement in SQ.

Regards,
Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 11:51:44 am »

Does anyone have a visual presentation of the connecting PC's? Too many sorts of connections possible and reading the text makes me dizzy trying to implement something similar for my situation...

If I connect my Music PC directly to my main PC (crosslink) is it then possible to control the Music PC from the main PC as well?

The music is stored on my NAS but can be found from the main PC directly as if it is stored locally.

If possible then I can connect wireless to the main PC and control the Music PC through the main PC (RDP) too which would be both options I want to be able to use.

This way I only need a crosslink cable or a clever adapter to change the path and remove the Music PC from the switch.

Wishful thinking?

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 12:18:56 pm »

Hi Bert,

The cross link cable is an artefact of times past...you can direct connect computers these days with a normal Ethernet cable.

If I connect my Music PC directly to my main PC (crosslink) is it then possible to control the Music PC from the main PC as well?

The music is stored on my NAS but can be found from the main PC directly as if it is stored locally.

Yes, the AudioPC (I am using Peters terms) can be controlled from the Music Server via RDP.  You should be able to remove the graphics card and keyboard and mouse and other unnecessary stuff from the AudioPC.

If possible then I can connect wireless to the main PC and control the Music PC through the main PC (RDP) too which would be both options I want to be able to use.

Yep.  Tablet. >> RDP >> Music Server >> RDP >> AudioPC.

Hope this helps,

Anthony

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 01:32:39 pm »

Yep.  Tablet. >> RDP >> Music Server >> RDP >> AudioPC.

This is how I have things set up (replace tablet with laptop). It works really, really well.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 01:35:41 pm »

Bert,

Anthony is right. Do not make your own terms up here, because the first who does not understand is you yourself.
Next, we can not help you either.

There is a Music Server PC which holds the music (one way or the other).
There is an Audio PC which produces the sound (the DAC is connected to that).

Anthony talked in those terms, so you should be able to follow him (now).

Additionally :

What some want (for reasons) is controlling the Music Server PC via the tablet as well. This is only confusing as you'll have that automatically (intrinsically). But you don't want / need that - same as my situation. When we both need maintenance on the Music Server PC, we just walk to its screen. Now, relative to that situation (expplicitly referring to your situation) :

Let the Music Server PC screen be as it is (you are playing audio with it).
Now set up the RDP connection from the tablet to that screen. That is really all ...
If you have it running you will see that it is too simple to explain. But it is hard to explain.
haha

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2016, 01:43:34 pm »

Just for my curiosity... Is RDP the same as RDC ? I know RDC to mean "Remote Desktop Connection", but for RDP ?

Thanks Happy

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 02:05:18 pm »

Alain,

Microsoft is trying to make us mad.

In the early days we had Hydra. Hydra was the beta version of RDP - Remote Desktop Protocol. Oh ... let me tell you that I have started all this idiocy with a bunch of Japanese. So Hydra was sort of mine (when MS had taken over).

Not really long ago, this remote connection stuff was called RDP. That is, I'm fairly sure. Possibly on XP it was still named like that.
It ?
It = what today is called RDC. Remote Desktop Connection.

Then came RDC for Android and Mac and it was named ...
RDP.
Most probably this is because it is more explicitly a protocol as such, when viewed from the different OS (than Windows).

Wonder oh wonder that only the other day I saw that now it is called RD - Remote Desktop. That is, on the Mac I saw that.

Now watch out :
Today we have Windows 10. Desktop is sort of back, while Windows 8(.0) tried to elminate that. But it will be eliminated again in the future (well, I suppose and for my today's fun).
So what will RDC be named in the future ?

R

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 02:13:54 pm »

That has been my complaint about MS different versions of Windows... I remember trying to find the "Add/Suppress" in Control Panel, to discover that it was not called "Programs and Features" (when I switched from XP to Win 7)... This is just an example of the situations that many encounter with each new version.

My mother-in-law that I find extraordinary for working with Windows is in a part of her life where changing from Windows 7 to either Win 8 or 10 would be a show stopper... And they tell us that the new versions are more intuitive...

For me it looks more like marketing bull than anything else...

unhappy

Alain

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: