XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 11:13:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using the XXHighEnd PC to play streaming music with Tidal or WiMP  (Read 27182 times)
smilemakr
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: January 01, 2015, 07:40:09 pm »

I had an email exchange with Peter this morning, when I posed this question:

I do have a question about using the XXHighEnd PC for "seeing" the internet.  I'd like to be able to play streaming music files off of Tidal, into the NOS1a.  If I just confine the XX computer to playing streaming music off of the Tidal website, as well as its normal duties playing ripped files through XXHighEnd, I don't think I'll have exposure to viruses.  Do you see any significant problem with this?

To this, Peter responded:

Well, I can see a bit of problems with Tidal and such. So a normal protection you can’t apply (but actually have to) because of that being detrimental to about everything and a more smart one would be more difficult that I would be able to cope with (I just don’t have the PC connected, so I don’t care about anything).
What about putting this to the forum ? Maybe someone has arranged for it in sufficiently decent fashion.

Good idea!  So what do you think?

As services like Tidal (in the US; www.tidalhifi.com) and WiMP (in parts of Europe and maybe elsewhere; www.wimpmusic.com) provide access to millions of tracks of music, in real time, at high quality (44.1 kHz/16-bit, 1411 kbps, lossless), it would be great if we could use our existing XXHighEnd PC to play tracks into the NOS1 DAC.  Otherwise, I assume we have to use a second computer that is linked to the internet to play streaming files, with the attendant USB cable input switching between sources (I think) into the NOS1.  I'm aware that playing streaming files, even lossless FLAC files via the likes of Tidal or WiMP, won't have the benefit of arc prediction and other magic that the XXHighEnd program applies, but it's a huge step in the right direction.  Peter has even alluded (I think--it's hard to decipher his allusions, or illusions) to working on something to use XXHighEnd (or maybe a modification in NOS1?) to apply that magic to streaming files.

I know that Peter is concerned about viruses, since the XXHighEnd computer is running without virus protection, and of course it would be crazy to willy-nilly surf the web on the XX PC without virus protection.  (Gee, even the name "XXHighEnd" could attract the wrong kind of websites and spam, if you get my drift!!)

But what about restricting the computer's internet use to Tidal or WiMP, to play streaming music?  Is anyone doing this "in sufficiently decent fashion"?  Any problems/concerns?

Mark
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:04 pm »

Maybe the question rephrased :

Is nobody using his audio PC (be that the "XXHighEnd PC" or otherwise) while being connected to the Internet ?
But if you do, what do you use for protection to satisfaction ?

Thanks !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
smilemakr
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 12:43:16 pm »

Uh...yeah!  That's what I meant to say! scratching

Mark
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 12:57:59 pm »

No real difference Mark; I only tried to simplify the question somewhat. But it doesn't looke like people have the answers. Like me myself.

Nobody ?

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:13:42 pm »

My XXHighEnd PC is connected to the internet.
I do not have any concerns, why should I if I only go to sites I know are virus free? No mail program installed.

For protection so to say is that I have a virus free image of the whole system for the unlikely case I need the restore everything.
So basically a complete backup of everything.
Installing a virus software is not a good solution because these programs install services running in the background doing funny things.

Tidal and other services currently sound not good without Peters Software so I do not use them although I would love to.
So the only solution I see is if Peter programmed some kind of sound driver proxy directly feeding into XXHighEnd. There is other similiar software out there exactly doing that.

Regards, Michael

Custom Built XXHighend PC with Xeon processors and not fans -> XXHighend Player 2.02 with Win 10 10074 -> Claxius USB Cable -> Phasure NOS1a -> Blaxius Cable -> Violectric V281  Headphone Amp -> Abyss AB-1266 (best headphone in the world)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:01:53 pm »

Thank you for your vision Michael. However, I am afraid not many will "dig it".
Shall I now try to be confusing (ain't I always) ?

This could also be my answer, but it is too difficult to make it practice :

I never ever run anti-virus software anywhere. For how long ? since forever. It is too detrimental for a well behaving PC anyway, and I seem to be able to have "virus sensors". And I never had one.
And this response is not much different from Michael's, although I run everything I require, like email and such.

So good advice ? no, I don't think so. But it would be true that if you really don't do anything else (than e.g. running Tidal) the risk would be very small. But also, for such an audio PC most of us got used to have a fresh install of that. Not me, but if I look back ... what about hundreds and hundreds (all receiving a free Activation Code again, so I know ...).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 05:08:41 pm »

So the other subject :

Tidal and other services currently sound not good without Peters Software so I do not use them although I would love to.
So the only solution I see is if Peter programmed some kind of sound driver proxy directly feeding into XXHighEnd. There is other similiar software out there exactly doing that.

Working on that ...
But as far as it is now it won't be easy to let it sound good that way. So currently I am working on all sorts of "tweaks" to let it go like it's required, but this is not easy and would come down to stealing. So that's not the way either.
Another project in my hands ...

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 04:31:02 pm »

Working on that ...
But as far as it is now it won't be easy to let it sound good that way. So currently I am working on all sorts of "tweaks" to let it go like it's required, but this is not easy and would come down to stealing. So that's not the way either.
Another project in my hands ...

Hi all,

A bit of news about this; and sad news I'm afraid :
It won't go beyond what I said above, although I was on a good track of doing way better. So what happened in the mean time ?

Ehm, working on a real integration of Tidal. Beautiful.
Not so beautiful though is that today this exercise has been cut off by Tidal because the buyer of them (some baseball player I think) will be working on their own "new version" (I am not telling everything here) and what I was doing will not be allowed any more. Or at least it can not be by the old Tidal crue because it will be / may be working against new strategies, not in their hands.

Call it world news if you like, but notice this is first hand news.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
michaeljeger
Audio Loudspeaker

Headphone Maniac

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:13:00 pm »

Peter

How bout Qobuz?

Very solid library and long on the market.
Could be the more "stable" choice.

Regards Michael

Custom Built XXHighend PC with Xeon processors and not fans -> XXHighend Player 2.02 with Win 10 10074 -> Claxius USB Cable -> Phasure NOS1a -> Blaxius Cable -> Violectric V281  Headphone Amp -> Abyss AB-1266 (best headphone in the world)
Tore
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 08:27:33 pm »

Peter, many brands have Tidal integrated now

OPPO Digital adds Tidal Streaming Service to its Blu-ray players:

http://www.hifisentralen.no/forumet/bransjenyheter/79548-oppo-digital-adds-tidal-streaming-service-its-blu-ray-players.html

Tore

Phasure Mach III, 12/24 core (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=0.69 max=140,19 /XTweaks = 35, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 ->  Blaxius^2.5 , Crazy A monoblocs, Avantgarde Duo Omega
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2015, 04:43:58 pm »

Hi there Tore,

"Embedded software" as how it is called for players like the Oppo, is something else than normal software.
I was working on this (together with Tidal) but halfway they bailed out (had to bail out) because of the purchase by Jay Z or whatever his name is.
So I had to give up, obviously.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: