XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 12:10:41 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: using XXHighEnd with Minisharc  (Read 9780 times)
builder brad
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2015, 10:57:29 am »

Is it possible to use XXHighEnd software to drive a Minisharc processor?

What would be the best way to do this? The Minisharc has a number of input options, but no USB input.

Cheers

Brad
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:07:03 am »

Hi there Brad - welcome.

First response : why not ?
Ok, not much helpful. swoon

So I guess I should ask you how you think (no) USB input to that Minisharc is related. I mean, I don't see it.

In between : I suppose you refer to something like Minisharc DSP, is that correct ?

Now let's see ...
Anything which is an "audio device" as such, will be able to be used by XXHighEnd. The problem I foresee though is that your DSP (so that assumed) is not an audio device at all. But it depends a little ...
Do you have a link (web page) to what you are talking about ?

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
builder brad
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:36:13 pm »

Hi Peter,

thank you for the quick reply and warm welcome.

I joined in 2011 and have just started looking at your products again.

Good points in your email. I made some assumptions.lol

The Minisharc details are here:

http://www.minidsp.com/products/opendrc-series/minisharc-kit

This is a flexible DSP module with quite a few input and output options including I2S. I am using the Minisharc to create a digital processor to drive my Linkwitz LX521s. The LX521s are an active 3 way dipole speaker that have traditionally been driven by an analogue signal processor.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm

The Minisharc has 4 stereo I2S outputs that are connected to a pair of dual Mono Buffalo ESS9018 Dacs for the midrange and individual stereo ESS9023 Dacs for the tweeter and Woofers.

http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/buffalose.aspx
http://www.minidsp.com/products/minidspkits/curryman-i2s-dac

I have a little experience with KS drivers, having used Audio Repeater, Virtual Audio Cable and VST processors in my car PC. Only problem was stability and the need to run lots of scripts to start and stop services, so everything could run well. I felt that the quality improvement was significant, however there where lots of noises and crackles, especially between tracks, with system lock ups from memory overruns ect. Looks like your software addresses a lot of those issues now.

Brad
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 01:52:17 pm »

Hi again Brad,

So since you are actually already using the MiniSharc, you already know (or can know) the answer to your question. So we'll start we an "of course !". It is only that it might not be so visible to you especially when using virtual audio cables and such. In the end though your device will be the USB device from your Buffalo, or a "direct" connection with SPDIF to the DSP module. In the latter case you will be using an SPDIF output from your motherboard or possibly via an additional sound card in the PC.

In either case you will select an output device somewhere in the playback software; only when that sound device is (always) the default one (which in the end is a setting in the Windows Sound Devices) you won't notice anything much of it because you never need to apply the selection as such. But a sound device you will be addressing.

If now virtual audio cables (I mention them as a general phenomenon) are left out of the chain (no idea why you would be using that) then in e.g. XXHighEnd you will select that sound device - whatever it is. Or this is an anonymous thing like "SPDIF Out" (when you use SPDIF) or it is something which relates to the Buffalo (and then will be USB I presume).
And that is really all.

Notice that in XXHighEnd you may discover two redundant groups of drivers - WASAPI (WDM) and Kernel Streaming. The latter will be the most lean one, might you run into glitches and such. On the other hand, there is no reason that I can see that you'd run into glitches (and all you mentioned) in the first place. That is, if you are not using filtering and/or convolving features in-software, which typically would be a reason to use the virtual cables. But then I wouldn't know much why to do that because I'd say the DSP is for that. But you do mention VST processors ...

Fact would be that with XXHighEnd you'd not only have the leanest means of "audio chain" but also an inifinite means of "buffer settings" might that be your current problem (like mentioned memory overruns etc.).

So maybe from here we can proceed with next questions ?
Or, just try to use XXHighEnd, see where you get stuck and present that situation ?

Best regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
builder brad
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 02:07:49 pm »

Hi Peter,

thank-you.

I think I confused you again by mentioning my previous experience with KS drivers. This does not apply to my current question. You where correct in your assumption that I used VST for Digital Sound Processing, which was why I used Virtual Audio Cable.

You pretty much have answered my Question. I probably need to experiment with your software and see what challenges I then experience.

Brad
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 02:43:13 pm »

OK Brad. One more thing for now though : XXHighEnd can not accept (VST) plugins. Going the other way around - route it's output to a virtual cable and from there to VST software, should work.

And ask further when needed. I only hope I know the answers.
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: