XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 16, 2024, 08:40:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks Like I've Screwed Up Something with the 2.01 Install  (Read 22362 times)
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:13:11 pm »

So:

- Windows 8.  (Still won't run on Windows 10, correct?)

- I initially installed to a RAMDisk, but then got the message my activation wouldn't last if done on a RAMDisk.  I then installed on the internal SSD and activated that.

- After that I copied the 2.01 folder to the RAMDisk (leaving the SSD installation in place) and tried to run the copied version from RAMDisk.  But I got little error messages about the DAC used previously not being the one selected currently (not so), and the XXHighEnd in the title bar flipped back from red (activated) to blue (not).  So I went back to running from the SSD.

- These are the two problems that are now occurring when I run from the SSD, as well as I can remember while not at home (too late last night to write this then): (1) When trying to play minimized OS and Unattended, the OS logs off to the Login screen.  (2) When trying to play, if I remember correctly, with minimized OS but not Unattended, the UI shows the track playing, but there is no sound, and when I stop XXHE I get an OS message that the sound device (driver?) has been deactivated, and do I want to troubleshoot it?  This is with kernel streaming selected.

- Best to blow everything up and install again?  (Though I'd like not to lose the activation.)  Or something short of that?

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 01:37:07 pm »

Hahaha

Still won't run on Windows 10, correct?

It does over here (tbh since yesterday) but if Windows 8 is giving you troubles - not for you, Not yet. Happy Happy

So Jud, all I see or think to recognize is that you are using W8 for the first time;
First culprit I see is that you are running Windows Defender and it is that what signs you off. I must look up the topic which tells about how to shut off Defender, which is not necessary for some W8 versions, but for few it is (and for W8.1 it always is).

when I stop XXHE I get an OS message that the sound device (driver?) has been deactivated, and do I want to troubleshoot it?

Strange. But with Defender being actively monitoring and knowing what I do with all the (services) sh*t, maybe nothing is strange.

with minimized OS but not Unattended, the UI shows the track playing, but there is no sound

But I got little error messages about the DAC used previously not being the one selected currently (not so)

It is highly unlikely that this is "not so". Now combine the two ... Wink (but put in the correct sequence)

Idea :
When you're in Normal OS Mode you have selected a Sound Device which is WDM (WASAPI) and which is not available in Minimized OS Mode because you set WASAPI to shut off. Now your sound device will be a different one and it is not your DAC. So you hear nothing.

I think easiest (least unsure hassle) / fastest will be to start all over. That is, when currently you are not activated, of which you are afraid you will lose that.
ahum
So :

and the XXHighEnd in the title bar flipped back from red (activated) to blue (not).  So I went back to running from the SSD.

nea
If you are still activated when running from the SSD, it will only be a matter of having your copy procedure right, which I guess you have not ? What about the copying being done from a wrong (source) location ?

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 01:47:06 pm »

Hi Jud - I put the Defender stuff in a small Tutorial :

Windows 8 Tutorials - Shut off Windows Defender.

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 03:47:57 pm »

- Actually it's not nearly my first XXHE install on Win 8.  More like the 5th (but this one has its own folder - within the XXHE directory - as instructed).  I have had Defender shut off since I first installed Win 8.  Will re-check....

- I always select kernel streaming when doing the initial settings on install, so XXHE should not have been sending messages related to the selection of WASAPI.

- Strange about the copy procedure.  Waited until the SSD installation was activated and just copied the whole 2.01 folder to the XXHE directory on RAMDisk.  Anything special to do besides that?

- Don't mind losing the activation so much, just didn't want to bother you with the refund process.  But as I'll probably just be blowing everything up anyway, I think, unless the sound quality is a complete and utter disaster, that I might prefer to make the next installation on Win 10.  I've always disliked 8, and only kept it around for XXHE.  Anything special regarding installing on 10?  Is it best to install on SSD and copy to RAMDisk, or vice versa?  And anything special about copying, or just copy and paste the whole folder?

Win 7 64-bit; i7-950@3.07GHz; 16GB RAM; OS on SATA 6GB/s SSD; AIFF files on external FW HDD; XXHE and Playback Drive on separate RAMdisks; no page file; Audioquest Dragonfly DAC/preamp; PSE Studio IV amp; Pioneer SP-BS22-LR bookshelf speakers or Etymotic Research ER-4P in-ear monitors.  XXHE 0.9z-8-3a settings for the moment: Peak Extend; Arc Prediction; Redbook files upsampled 2x; KS Adaptive Mode; Phase Alignment off; buffer=512; Straight Contiguous; Playerprio=Low; ThreadPrio=RealTime; Unattended; OS minimized; all services off; Q1=17, factor=2; SFS=2.1; XXTweaks=Ultimate; Time Performance Index=Not the best.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:01:46 pm »

Jud,

The refund process is super easy. Less than one minute of work. So please don't be bothered by that. The typing in this post so far already took longer. Happy

About the copying :
Maybe you don't copy all of it ? So your XXData also belongs to it, although I'd have to dig whether it can influence (but to be on the safe side I say Yes and anyway I copy it myself as well).

What could be more likely is that it looked like you were activated, but in the end are not. And not because your are color-blind and mix up blue with red, but because the procedure obfuscates (on purpose). Anyway, it will end up in definite-blue when not activated.

The other situation I desribed the other day : "you" mixing up what's started from where. So if you *think* you start from the SSD but meanwhile start from the RAMDisk after all, there you have it. And when the RAMDisk is not arranged for yet (still contains the old version) it van go back and forth really (I experienced that myself abnf figured that only women would find such a thing logical - I could not follow). This is also how the warning came about for Activating on the RAMDisk.
Best is : Move everything out of the way (delete the RAMDisk folders explicitly) and reinstall. And only when all is up and running, create the RAMDisk again.

About the signing off ... I really seriously can't tell when you did not change anything. I (XXHE) don't do anything new in that realm ...
So let's keep in touch about that.
Side note : Shutting off Windows Defender does not help in the situations I know of. Only the procedure I described in that small Tutorial doesn. But if you weren't pestered by this before ... then what. I forgot the process or service name of it (windef or so ? - but recognizable), so you might look for it.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:52:18 pm »

About the logging off - I did allow Windows Update to install a bunch of updates, and you know no one can screw up a Windows installation like MS itself can.  So it's possible something I switched off got turned back on.

As I mentioned, I've never liked Win 8 as an OS, so I will probably forge on and try to install on the Win 10 preview.  (I'm on the fast update track, so the build changes every week or so.  Should be fun!   Happy )

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:13:30 pm »

Jud, I forgot to tell :
W10 will be supported in 2.02 if all is right. But maybe later (depends on possibly other emergency updates needing to be around first).
So at this moment (2.01) W10 can not work because it is not recognized (and all sorts of authorizations fail).

Should be fun!

The fun is that I think it sounds better. yes
But I can't compare really yet because it is all SUPER buggy and MinOS is a challenge still, plus Unattended with Services Shut off kills the LAN and more and all sorts of things which should not happen.
One thing very nicely works this time though : Reverting to a Restore Point while in MinOS and nothing works otherwise any more. heat

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:50:24 pm »

Last night I blew away the prior installs and reinstalled clean.  There are still two bugs remaining (not those I mentioned yesterday, but others I considered minor in a relative sense so I didn't bring them up):

- Minimized OS, unattended: Starts fine but within ten seconds the volume stops completely.  Since there's no UI I don't know whether it's stopped playing or is still playing but no volume.

- Minimized OS, unattended off: This is perfectly OK until I try playing unattended for the first time.  Then all subsequent attempts to play with the UI showing prior to a reboot don't work.  Playback won't start, and there is an odd thing going on with the UI where there's a sort of black "phantom loading progress bar" that progresses from left to right near the top of the XXHE UI.

So that's where I am now, unable to use 2.01 in minOS unattended.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2015, 06:28:53 pm »

Doh ... And I just have been working on that issue exactly the same but in W10. And I already couldn't imagine how it would be W10 related, already because I saw similar before.
But odd : I solved that. Ehm, thus not really.

This is about the OSD Running Time; deactivate the "as bar". You can leave on the Running Time itself. Now you can play (sound doesn't stop either). And after this works you can set the As Bar to On again, if you want. And then it works.

Beats me as much as it just did you. swoon

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2015, 04:03:47 am »

Thanks Peter, that worked, though things are not completely bug free.  A couple of times playback stopped in the middle of songs, and another couple of times playback wouldn't start when unattended.  Also, unlike what you found, as soon as I put the "As Bar" back on it cuts out after 10 seconds again.  But most of the time it works, and I've got it running from a RAMdisk now.

Wondering whether the custom filter is mainly for people with NOS1/1a and Orelos....

Since I have larger fonts set, the UI is pretty bad, with text overrunning many fields.  I will have to adjust that.

Does 2.01 work at least somewhat now on Win10?

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2015, 08:23:55 am »

Since I have larger fonts set, the UI is pretty bad, with text overrunning many fields.  I will have to adjust that.

Hi Jud, can you show me a picture of that ?

Wondering whether the custom filter is mainly for people with NOS1/1a and Orelos....

No, why ? But it would be best for NOS DACs because all is super "fragile" (tuning is very precise and the slightest interference will kill what I put in there (about the phase stuff and such)).

Does 2.01 work at least somewhat now on Win10?

Nope, not at all. So no need to try ...

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2015, 02:35:46 pm »

Quote from: Jud

Quote from: PeterSt
Hi Jud, can you show me a picture of that ?

Yes, will do later.

Quote from: Jud

Quote from: PeterSt
No, why ? But it would be best for NOS DACs because all is super "fragile" (tuning is very precise and the slightest interference will kill what I put in there (about the phase stuff and such)).

Was thinking it might help with, e.g., DSP for bass or something.  Both the DACs I have are delta-sigma, so no PCM upsampling but the result would be run through a modulator.  I imagine that qualifies as "the slightest interference."  Wink

Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2015, 06:24:00 pm »

XXHE screenshot attached.

* XXHE Screenshot.jpg (314.72 KB, 1911x1071 - viewed 710 times.)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2015, 06:51:53 pm »

Ah ...

What about setting the Scaling smaller ?
If you set ity to 1.7 it will be the same as it was (1.186).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Jud
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2015, 06:54:54 pm »

Ah ...

What about setting the Scaling smaller ?
If you set ity to 1.7 it will be the same as it was (1.186).

Peter

Will that affect Remote, or different settings?

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: