XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 04:43:57 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Silverstone USB3 - approach confirmation  (Read 15138 times)
brunok
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: June 03, 2015, 11:15:22 pm »

Hello all:
I'm in the process of redoing my PC in light of the new software and OS's. I have obtained the Silverstone USB3 (checked versions) and I own the NOS1.  I believe I've read through all the threads on how things evolved and where things are today in light of this usb adaptor but I wondered if some out there could help confirm that I understand things correctly.

1. The USB card (under win 7&8 and earlier software) made a slight 
difference in sound quality just plugged into the molex, but
2. Made a huge difference when ground wire moved (as per Bert's       photo) and isolated from the PC chassis with tape or plastic.
3. If I proceed with decoupling the ground I MUST make certain that the card is isolated or loud noises even damage might occur to the DAC.
4. Is this correct?
5. Is this still correct for both NOS1 and NOS1A?
6. Is this still correct for NOS1 in light of the new software? v2 (too early to say with Win10, I understand)
7. Would it be advisable to hold on for a bit (let the dust settle a little more on the recent advancements) before proceeding with the adaptor install?

Thanks kindly,
 brunok
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2015, 09:01:33 am »

Hi Bruno,

I'll give it a try :

3. If I proceed with decoupling the ground I MUST make certain that the card is isolated or loud noises even damage might occur to the DAC.

5. Is this still correct for both NOS1 and NOS1A?

This is not so easy to guarantee because of the so many other things (in the house) involved, and all I can really say is that isolation at both ends is a consistent situation. Not-isolated at both ends is as consistent.

Damage to the DAC ? nah ... I don't see that happening. But it wouldn't be good for speakers when this starts to happen and is left like that for many hours. And, the only situation I know of that such a thing happened was when only one side was isolated. And then still this will have been incurred for by the "house" situation.

Although I can't guarantee that either, I think that the NOS1a is hardly prone to the "noises" you refer to;
There may be one "plop" when e.g. the USB cable is detached and that is it. So personally I never ran into the situation that the slow oscillation occurs and the plopping keeps on going on without USB cable attached. This, while with the normal NOS1 this could sure happen in my situation.

6. Is this still correct for NOS1 in light of the new software? v2 (too early to say with Win10, I understand)

This is all not related to the software at all. That is, if you mean the noises. What sure *is* related though is the consistency with the sound (so to speak) if it all were to be about my own judgment and how I see and say that SQ improved and such. To this regard it is to be note that :

- I use the NOS1a;
- I use the BNC 75 Ohm impedance Blaxius Interlink (with 75B (75 Ohm BNC Output) NOS1a upgrade);
- I use the Clairixa USB cable;
- I use of what I think are the best speakers for resolution (very high efficiency hence speed).
- I sure use the at both ends isolated USB interface with the Silverstone card (NOS1a has Sw#3 for the job and Up means isolated at the DAC side).
- I use a very lean Audio PC with the music elsewhere (LAN);
- I control that PC by means of RDP.

This all matters (so also the last topic (RDP)) and all can be mimicked although having the same speakers is a bit crazy perhaps (but everyone can since it is a commercial speaker). But the speaker (and amplification in there) also is the least influencing if it were to be about the consistency of sound and for example thinking of the difference between W8 and W10; it only allows me to hear things better - at least that is my view.

Now I hope this wasn't a too long answer ...
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

I want to have my Dac on a separate USB circuit to the external music drive. Is the silverstone USB3 a good way to go? Is there a better way now?
I can get one locally but do I need a separate cable USB connection? Do you add a power supply connect to it as well?
I don't have a NOS yet and certainly wouldn't consider lifting the Benchmark earth. It already has a boom on startup from cold.
In fact my PC with XXhighend now beats my Cambridge 751 in sound.

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 11:28:45 am »

Hi Robert,

Can you tell us ... what do you mean, or why do you refer to "separate USB circuit"; do you have other USB devices connected to the PC ?

Do you add a power supply connect to it as well?

Here too, please elaborate somewhat, if possible. Are you talking about the molex connection on top of the card (that is, these days it could be a "SATA" power connector) or ... do you mean something with a separate enclosure ? (I can't guess how that would be, but alas).

Regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:53:04 am »

Its not a good thing having DAC and external music DAC on same USB hub I thought?
This is all I have connected to USB inputs.

Why do you add the Silverstone card and how is it connected?

Do you use the Molex?

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 12:47:18 pm »

Yeah, but this wasn't obvious to me at first :

I want to have my Dac on a separate USB circuit to the external music drive.

But this is worse :

Its not a good thing having DAC and external music DAC on same USB hub

However, with the both it is perfectly clear !
haha

Look at it like this :
When you use a Playback Drive and it is located in RAMDisk or it is on the local (OS) hdd, then during playback no music HDD connected to USB is addressed. So see ? it is no problem, under those circumstances.
Otherwise using different hubs could be a good thing, but I personally still would not trust it.

Different it is with something like the Silverstone card,  because that really (really) is separate. You can see that by means of being able to shut off all in the BIOS for USB2 and USB3 but the Silverstone will not be affected. So DAC on Silverstone and disk on MoBo USB somewhere should not be *that* harmful (but theory, Robert !).

And yes, the Molex must be connected, or otherwise it does not not work. At least not for me this is so (and NOS1).

Does that answer your questions ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 11:33:46 pm »

Yes it helps.

Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: