XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 12:59:26 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Intona High Speed USB 2.0 galvanic isolation  (Read 174659 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 04:47:52 pm »

Hey all, back again ...

Today is the 4th day into the newly received Intona Highspeed USB Isolator, but I could just as well have reported after day 1. Quite unusual that would be - such a confidence ...
But I had to wait because I was finishing some XXHighEnd version (2.04, just put up now).

So what happened ?
After my initial trying (briefly written about in this topic) - nothing much. I never heard about it any more from anywhere either. Until ...
A week ago.

Someone on a forum elsewhere (CA) had referred to this topic, Mr Daniel (CEO from Intona) responded and was curious why I never got back to Intona with my "failing" device and again someone else with the name of Alain Happy pointed me at the thread over there.
And then I saw that possibly it is not the best in all situations to be polite and don't ask money back at least. My main "problem" was that I received the very first Intona Isolator, which I wasn't even aware of. I started to feel sorry that I did not help to solve an issue ...

So I contacted Daniel and 10+ emails back and forth later, last Monday I received a new Isolator.

First off : this one works. I mean, it doesn't stop working by means of getting warmer or whatever the cause was.
Secondly, *if* it would stop working, I'd throw it in the fridge or whatever, and would use it happily next day again.
yes

I have a new strange term for it : Infinity.
Side note : More often I have been talking about e.g. highs being able to go "infitely loud" without hurting and while being "good" in the first place. So that kind of Infinity I mean. But now broader ...

I'd even dare to go as far as saying that SQ is "infinitely good" as in "the repairer of all". So yes, it is like it repairs everything which needed repairing. Yesterday I was as far as thinking that even W10 10586.0 would sound good because of it, but I did not want to tryit at Christmas Eve.
But OK, "Infinitely good" is a too strange one, so it has to come down to "Infinitely This" and "Infinitely That". But now it is hard to find the words (hey, that happens to me more often, lately).

It seriously feels like : we have done everything and all in so many years of time, but what's inherently wrong is just that and although you can still (audibly) improve, it is that one thing which is always sauced over all. It can't be avoided or eliminated because it is just there.
And then one day you get rid of that thing after all. BANG. And *because* you applied so many already and the "thing" is now so profoundly bad, all is now Infinitely better.
Yes, I think I am getting there now. So not Infinitely Good (that would be too stupid to say) but Infinitely Better. Yes, that would be allowed I think.

Don't ask me how it works because my Phasure NOS1a already was isolated, but I feel that the ground potential at (in) the DAC's side now is 0:0 (at both sides of the isolation, I mean). And ... it should. Think like this :

Previously there was +56V (or whatever) of potential at the input side (of USB). Behind it, there's 0V because of the Isolation. Effect ? Radation. At least that's what I have always been saying and thinking (about). The Voltage just can't disappear to my belief and thus it radiates.
There is much (much) more to say about this, but too complicated and too unsure. Anyway, that radiation should now be in/round the Intona box which is 15cm from the PC in my situation (I chose to have it close to the PC without real reason (eh, at first Happy). Maybe later I'll build a receiving antenna to move that (assumed) radation out of the way as well.

A couple of crucial things to additionally mention :

As a #1 customer I was offered to have the leds not blinking (I read later that the both normally blink at a rate of 14Hz). I grabbed that offer with both hands.
Does this help the good SQ ? I think it very well can. And well, at least you wouldn't take the risk, do you ? So I asked Daniel whether every "Audio" oriented customer was allowed to ask for this, and Daniel answered Yes.

Without asking, I received the Industrial version (my #1 was the normal version). This is - from the top of my head - a version with more robust USB connectors (they really are to my perception as it almost takes two persons to remove the (B-side ) cable form it) and with 2.5KV of isolation instead of 1KV (I'd say this fact in itself is not important). But since the Industrial version is 100 euros more expensive I
a. thought that this maybe wasn't useful to now "test" because what about the normal version which you might like to obtain (it's about the $ for some);
b. thought that it was a bit odd to receive something of 100 euros more of value while I didn't even need to send back the old one.
Surprise : the Industrial version has received more attention to the timing and some more stuff like heftier chips (the 2.5KV isolation thing). Worth a 100 more ? of course, when this is the result now. But please notice that I can not test it. It's even so that the other one (the normal one) doesn't work (for too long) but the reason is unclear at this moment. Well, maybe that later the firmware has been changed and the (Daniel offered) reason to begin with to try another one.
Lastly there's some inside information which makes me say that indeed you better get the Industrial version.
So that's something like 350 euros including 19% of VAT for those liable to VAT and otherwise it's ~295 euros.
Be careful, because the Intona ordering page shows the price including VAT for those countries liable to VAT (and when you're a company the VAT is deducted from the listed price).
Hey, it now looks like I have financial interests in Intona eh ? Ok, I could (resell the isolator) but I rather take distance and be passionately positive instead.

By now many of you use the Clairixa USB cable, like I do myself. But careful, I now use two. Have to. Shocked
The one at the PC side is 15cm (which btw is a bit too short) and don't ask be what happens when we put a normal piece of wire in that place. For me this was an easy decision, as I just ordered someone to make me that 15cm. But for you ...
I feel I can't ask 200 - (8 (x 10cm) x 3 euros) 24 = 176 euros for 20 cm of stupid USB cable, but that would be the official price. And then always that shipping ...
But let's say that for 20cm I ask 100 euros and then think that we can efficiently produce them because they are all of the same length.

Anyway ...

What shall I say ... Not recommended ?

No no no ! Highly recommened now !

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2015, 06:19:30 am »

Wow, what a day Happy To get the new XXHighEnd version, then read the latest post about the revised Intona USB Isolator (industrial)...

I know that is not the wisest thing in my actual situation (money wise), but Christmas time surely has something to do about my decision to say "What the heck" and order the industrial unit Wink

You have a strong voice Peter Happy I can hear you from my (not so) cold part of the world Happy

Kind regards,

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Arjan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2015, 10:56:10 am »

Yes, I ordered the Intona! So Peter put me on the list for the 20 cm Clairixa.
Regards, Arjan

March, 2018 (2.10)
Music Server (old PC) RDC to Mach II Stealth 14393 RAM-OS / no videocard / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/3/4/5 = 30/0/1/1/ Q1Factor = 40 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 0.5ms / SFS = 5.19 Mx = 120 Straight Contiguous / driver buffer 16ms / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = High / Scheme = 3-5 / Unattended / Minimize OS / PeakExtend off / Arc Prediction / NO custom filter / 16x Upsampling / XTweaks 38 (turbo boost off in bios and cpu ratio 24!),1,-,0,1/with coverart / --> mobo USB --> The Lush 100 cm --> NOS1a 75B --> Blaxius --> bnc amps Jadis JA30 (modified and with the best tubes) --> Speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2015, 11:10:27 am »

Hi all,

Two general remarks :

Daniel told me that the wish for the non-blinking led can be announced in the Paypal process. Literally I was told this :

if customers drop us a mail or a note on the Paypal process, they will get it with no additional costs.

To make it more convenient for Intona, I would use the "Paypal note" (no idea how, but it will be obvious, I suppose).

It seems a good idea to ship the small USB cable together with the "RAM" Disk. The timing for the both will be OK for that. It is only that the process itself of both making the disks and the cables is relatively time consuming (I'd say we can't produce more than 4 sets a day, once we started with it).

Best regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
CoenP
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2015, 01:18:29 pm »

Hi Peter,

Great tweak! I wondered how it's powered. By the incoming USB wire?

Regards, Coen

Settings: Qn: , SFS: , timeres: XT tweaks: , buf: 4096, driver: 8 ms,

Audio PC (jan 19): XXHE PC v1 with RAMdisk w.o. videocard and 1 of 2 cpu fans + BRIX/USB3 storage musicserver. ETN to Fibre converters (linear supplies), 500m SFP modules & 5m OM4 cable. Power cable PE not connected, together with nos1 and poweramp in separate "audio" powerstrip.

Clarixa set + Intona (or Lush 1m), Phasure NOS1a-75B G3 USB (buf 16 ms)-> Blaxius ->SE EL95 (0,8W triode) + cheap link to Abaqus 300W plateamps> Bastanis cable-> Bastanis Sagarmatha Duo ("DIY").

[other sources: TD124/3009SII-i/Grace F9/lounge LCR phono; Rega Planet 1997 vintage]
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2015, 01:22:30 pm »

Something else :

I think we need to make the USB cable longer than 20cm. So mine is 15cm and by heart I thought that 20cm would be fine, but it depends on the situation where to put the Intona box. In my case it wouldn't even be enough.

* Intona01.png (1274.64 KB, 1042x766 - viewed 7238 times.)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
arvind
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2015, 01:26:54 pm »

Hi Peter,

I have placed order for the Intona USB isolator so I would need the 20 cm Clarixa too.

You could ship the Clarixa with the Base disk.

If all agree maybe 30 cm should be good enough.

Best regards,

Arvind

W10-14393.0 RAM OS / Mach III LPS 14/28/XXHE 2.11/Engine#4/Adaptive Mode/16x /Custom Filter/Q1= 14/0/0/0 xQ1=1/Device Buffer:4096/Invert Phase=On/Minimise OS/PE=off/Unattended/Stop All Services/SFS=20.69/20.69(max)/ClockRes= 15ms/Straight Contiguous/Music on HDD/Lush^3 USB cable A:W-Y-R-G; B:W-Y-R/Phasure NOS 1a/75b/G3 USB DAC. > Blaxius*^2.5 A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink. Orelo MK II active speakers. ET^3 between Mach III & music server. Driver version 1.04/Driver Buffer 16ms. OSD text = Off
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2015, 01:39:37 pm »

I wondered how it's powered. By the incoming USB wire?

Hey Coen,

Since there's nothing else, yes, must be. Happy

And/but as I told earlier in the topic : I can't guess how that works on the other side of the isolation. So, power is clearly transferred as well, but what I still don't get is how the chip(-part) on the other (clean) side of the isolation is powered. You'd say "take the USB power of the dirty (incoming) side", but *that* is not the idea with full galvanic isolation. Well, that is what I "learned".

I suppose that with a somewhat more "difficult thinking" I would be able to make up a completely different means of galvanic isolation, but I guess I'd soon run into the problem of not being fully isolated.
So your NOS1a is fully isolated, but the clean side is powered by that same clean side (while the dirty side is powered by the dirty side). And just saying : would I mix these up (turn the both around for powering) then all would still work as usual, but now without being isolated. Also, whether isolated or not is not even easy to test. One can try to look at the results (like noisy changes into no-noise like how I did that indirectly with the jitter measurements), or one can "see" the difference in ground potential between the two sides, which isn't even easy to do well. But here too, if you first can proove the no-difference while with isolation the difference is there (like my 56V example), it has to work. If after isolation the difference is still 0V it doesn't tell much, because the "back door" might connect back to the front door (which in the end is an error again, because that shouldn't happen we you try to isolate something).

This is really all not so easy ...

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Arjan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2015, 01:48:03 pm »

In the CA forum discussion on the Intona I read more about this as well.
Also someone tested it with different usb cables, it seems that Intona should be close to the dac?
But with the short Clairixa we can test that our selfs.

Regards, Arjan

March, 2018 (2.10)
Music Server (old PC) RDC to Mach II Stealth 14393 RAM-OS / no videocard / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/3/4/5 = 30/0/1/1/ Q1Factor = 40 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / ClockRes = 0.5ms / SFS = 5.19 Mx = 120 Straight Contiguous / driver buffer 16ms / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = High / Scheme = 3-5 / Unattended / Minimize OS / PeakExtend off / Arc Prediction / NO custom filter / 16x Upsampling / XTweaks 38 (turbo boost off in bios and cpu ratio 24!),1,-,0,1/with coverart / --> mobo USB --> The Lush 100 cm --> NOS1a 75B --> Blaxius --> bnc amps Jadis JA30 (modified and with the best tubes) --> Speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2015, 01:55:08 pm »

If all agree maybe 30 cm should be good enough.

Maybe people currently owning the Clairixa (knowing its degree of stiffness) can tell what their minimum required length is ? I just have no idea as it depends on where the PC is and where the box can be.
The box weighs about 100 grams (thus really not much) and measures 13.5 x 9 x 4 cm.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
toddn
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: December 26, 2015, 02:05:32 pm »

Hi Peter,

Please put me down to ship a short Clarixa with my OS RAM drive. I think 30-40cm would be good. If any of us want to put it on the same shelve as the NOS1a, it would be long enough to set the isolator between the front two legs of DAC.

Thanks,
Todd

W10-10074  XX HighEnd 2.03 PC -> i7 3930K AS Rock MB W/ Dexa Neutron Star & linear PS supply mod. For Processor Clock, Hyperthreading On (12 cores) @430MHz (!), 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit Insider Preview build 10074 Samsun SSD, XXHE on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk), music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS W10 = .14(max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / W8 Scheme = Core 3-5, W10 Scheme = Core 1-3 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - *Not Persist* / WallPaper Off, W10 Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *63* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / *Custom Filter Mid 705600* / -> USB3 (Silverstone W/Dexa Neutron Star Clock & Linear PS> *Clairixa USB* -> Uptone Regen w/ Dexa Neutron Star & linear PS -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (*4ms*) -> Blaxius BNC interlink -> 8 channels of Hypex NCore 400's -> DYI BD Orphean Horns w/ qty-3 custom 15" open baffle bass drivers and qty-8 12" open baffle subwoofers per channel
KnB
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 26, 2015, 02:09:50 pm »

Hi Peter,

20cm cable for me.  Happy

Phasure system: XXHighEnd stealth Mack III LPS PC, Xeon scalable 14/28 - Lush^2 Blaxius^2  - NOS1a/G3 75B Dac - Orelo mkII speaker

Win 10 14393 - XX 2.11 - min OS - RAM drive - Music on LAN - Adaptive 4096 - Allow format change - Core 3/5, low, Real time - Clock res 15ms
XTweaks 52,10,1,0,1 - Boost at xxhighend startup - SFS 10.19/10.19 SC - Incl garbage - Copy to xx - Always clear proxy - Use remote desktop
Use touch facility - Stop desktop/remaining/wasapi services - Keep LAN - Use remote desktop - OSD text - Show as wallpaper - Q1,3,4,5,xQ1;14,1,1,1,10
Prosessor set to 20 cores - Driver 1.04; USB buffer 16ms
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2015, 02:16:38 pm »

Also someone tested it with different usb cables, it seems that Intona should be close to the dac?

Arjan, that is not how I read things. Someone just put it close to the DAC, used a connector/adapter in order to avoid "cable" and a few posts further down the line he admits that such adapters destroy the probably carefully created impedance (this latter is his opinion or idea).

Let's keep in mind that what I tested is my test, in my situation and is thus a sort of "your guarantee" because it can be your situation.
Far more important, in my view, is my idea about the radiation, now not being close to the DAC. But that too, is only an estimate because I seek explanations for the (way) better sound. Remember, your NOS1a already *is* isolated, so it can't be the isolation (yeah, laugh). A few options I can think of :

1. Mentioned radiation now being in another (less harmful) place;
2. The USB noise being harmful to the receiver side of the DAC, that now being (more) clean (don't ask me how the "worse" receiver operation influences SQ in a bad way);
3. The (output) impedance of the PC being corrected right away (but connect Intona close to the PC), that benefiting all of the USB cable length.

In my personal view, #1 is likely, #2 can be in order but I don't know how, #3 can be of vast importance.

With all that, do notice that world wide I can not find any proof of whatever element in the technical chain (like MoBo manufacturer, USB cable manufacturer) paying very explicitly attention to the 90 Ohm impedance, required for best operation. I even wonder (without trying to be negative in any means !) whether Intona explicitly "generates" the 90 Ohms (which would be 2x 45 Ohms). If you look at the USB connectors in general, it can already go wrong very easily. Compare with the construction of coax connectors and you see what I mean. There ALL is done to imply the rated impedance. But that is another world - highly dependent on proper communication. USB is ... well, a toy ?
Anyway, I am contradicting myself with the "lousy USB output" from a MoBo on one side, and Intona not being able to deal with that properly as well, on the other. So the real message logically should be :
Yeah, the MoBo output undoubtedly s*cks, and Intona corrects that super nicely.
But I really can't know.

And to make it more complicated once again :
Do you use the MoBo output ? I don't. I use a Silverstone USB card. Many of us do. Why was that ? I forgot ...
haha

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2015, 02:18:46 pm »

If any of us want to put it on the same shelve as the NOS1a, it would be long enough to set the isolator between the front two legs of DAC.

Hi Todd, thank you. But see my previous post ...
In my view it would NOT be a good idea to place the Intona close to the DAC because of the (by me expected) radition.

Best regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
AlainGr
Audio Addict

Music for life

alain_gregoire@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2015, 02:41:22 pm »

Peter,

When you mention "radiation", I suppose you mean that the Intona is not built to hold them since it is not isolated with a material that can contain it ? This of course, as a consequence of cutting the ground voltage ?

Alain

Desktop with ASUS Sabertooth X79 motherboard,Intel 3930k 6 cores (+ 6) at 1.2 GHZ,32GB ram 1333Mhz,Win 10 pro build 14386 64 bit with no updates,OS + XXHE on external Sata III SSD (Esata), music (WAV) on external 5200 rpm drive through network, OS MInimized, XX with engine 4 adaptive,4096 (buffer size), CPU with scheme 3,Player = Low,Thread = RealTime, Q1 = 14,Q345 = 1,1,1,Q1x=1,Clock res = (variable),Stop Desktop Services,Stop Remaining Services,Stop Wasapi,,LAN on,persist = on,all OSD off,SFS = 2,PE off,PA off, Arc Prediction,x16 Upsample, Straight Contiguous,Lush USB  cable,Phasure NOS1a DAC,Meitner PA-6 preamp, Spectral Audio DMA-180  Power Amp, Tannoy System 15 DMT II, Tannoy St-100 supertweeters, Tannoy TS2.12 subwoofers (2). * On hiatus for a while...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: