XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 02:22:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Are all MOBO's (of the same type) Equal?  (Read 9193 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:47:52 pm »

First I had an X79 Extreme 4M (same as the XX PC) back in W8 days. Then I moved to an X79 Extreme 4 which started with W8 but ended up with W10 10074 installed. Why? I hear you ask - but is a story that will have to wait for another day.

Last weekend I decided to reorganise the hardware inside my PC to make way for hot swap tray for the 2.5 inch RAM HDD which will be coming at some time from Peter.

I had a spare old X79Extreme 4M kicking around (an old managers special that I had in the cupboard as a spare). So whilst I was putting the PC back together I decided to see if it worked OK.

When everything was back together and fired up I sat back and put on some music but with some astonishment as the sound quality was very significantly better than either of the previous mobo's. Surely there can't be such a noticeable difference between mobo's can there?

Maybe it is not the mobo there is only one thing different that I can think of. I used the disc (with 10074 on) that I had previously installed on X79Extreme4 (I clean installed the OS) with the X79Extreme4M (managers special) mobo.

It worked absolutely fine with only one "problem" - it sounds fantastic. Just now I am enjoying the best sound ever from this system. Very easy to listen to - very analogue sounding but with the necessary bit and dynamics.

Oh and that was with all settings the same (SFS = 2 which is what I have used since W8 days - but see separate post as I am now using SFS=0.09)

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 09:49:31 am »

Paul, what to say; I think it is far more easy for us all to think that you have BIOS settings not the same for the two MoBo's. In my experience this is the by far most easy thing to forget and have different a next time. USB is On in the one because you needed that and forgot to shut it off while now with the other it is Off per your default.
And a dozen things more.

Btw maybe a read wrongly, but the Extreme4 and Extreme4-M of course *aren't* the same at all. Topology will be, but the former is the larger with more of everything, consuming more etc. - which is regarded not to be the best (and you being the first to find that out - right ?).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 10:01:17 pm »

OK I didn't say in the first post but BIOS settings were absolutely definitely the same. Also the sound of the original (first) Extreme4m and the Extreme4 that replaced it were as far as I could tell pretty much the same.

I am not confident enough to say that it is the mobo (and I agree it has to be unlikely) but for my system as it is now using this latest (spare) 4M mobo sounds much better. As I said in the first post the only thing that is different is that I used the OS installed on the 4 mobo with the latest 4M (I did not plan to keep it, it was just to get things going, I  was going to do a fresh install - later). Other than that everything else was the same (trust me exactly the same).

In fact just after I built this latest PC nothing had been set up - so BIOS was "vanilla" with USB2/3 switched on and actually I had just quickly plugged NOS into the onboard USB3 (i.e. NOT the Silverstone) just to see it working. Also the video card was in, keyboard and mouse connected, screen plugged in etc. Even then it sounded significantly better than both previous incarnations (i.e. the very first 4M and the 4) with properly set up BIOS and hardware.

Apart from using the OS from the previous 4 install for sure everything else was the same.

I accept of course that I could have overlooked something but if I have it is something not obvious.

I guess from your answer that you not noticed any difference between the XX PC's.

Paul

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 06:08:06 am »

Hi Paul,

I guess from your answer that you not noticed any difference between the XX PC's.

Possibly that is because I don't listen to them all. Wink

But sorry - I really can't follow;
I hand a small suggestion about BIOS and in between the (too many ?) lines I now read that "this was even without Silverstone".  And that is not a difference ?

Also it is still not clear where you perceived the differences. Between two 4-M 's ?

Regards,
Peter

PS: I am not suggesting that it can't be so (not at all !) - it is only that I can't get what you are comparing.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 07:52:44 am »

I am not suggesting that it can't be so (not at all !) - it is only that I can't get what you are comparing.

Yea the problem is that I did not set out to compare anything I just switched on with nothing setup and thought wow that sounds good. I then went through getting everything setup properly (like plugging NOS into the Silverstone, setting up BIOS, then making the PC headless etc. and each change (which I did listen to separately) improved the sound further. So the sound from the system now with this latest "spare" 4M is better than the previous "4" and first 4M with all systems setup the same all this with SFS=2. Then loading IMDISK and reducing SFS down to 0.09 improved it even further ( I will try .12 later).

Also I do not think that there was anything wrong with the previous setups certainly I spent much time getting them as good as I could also "Golden Ears" Mani & Nick would have noticed during visits.

I would not have mentioned it but the difference is so significant and I have not clue why.

Paul

HaraldN
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2015, 01:09:29 pm »

Different versions of the bios?
What version of the bios do you have?

Harald

Windows 10 Pro 64bit - 10074 on SSD, music on USB3 4TB, 2 x Ramdisk(Imdisk) 8Gb, MB: ASRock Extreme 4M / CPU: i7-4930K  (6 cores) (0.78GHz)/ 32GB Ram / Case: Fractal Design Define R3 Fanless / Noctua NH-D14 CPU Cooler / PSU: Seasonic X-400 Gold Fanless / Silverstone SST-EC04-P USB3 card
XXh(2.03a)/ XXhighend on ramdisk A / Playbackdrive on ramdisk B / Engine#4 - Adaptive Mode/ Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / ClockRes = 1ms / No phase alignment / Custom Filter Mid 705600 /Straight Contiguous / SFS = 0.12/120 / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme =  Core1-2 @ UnAttended (Just Start) /All Services Off + No Running Time / Minimize OS = On /(XTweaks : Balanced Load = 63 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1) / Time Performance Index : Optimal / PC-to-I2S Driver latency 4ms ->  USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated) -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a async USB DAC -> active 4-way OB
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 07:55:52 pm »

Hi Harald - that is something I wanted to check but whilst I can easily check the BIOS version on the current 4M board I cannot easily check what it is on the 4 or on the first 4M board.

It is quite possible that the BIOS on the current board is an earlier version because the MOBO was a "Managers Special" and by the appearance of it has been kicking around for a while.

Paul

Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 11:20:44 am »

the BIOS version on the 4M board is ver 2.7 2012. There have been a few releases since this version but I do not know what is installed on the other boards.

I shall not be updating!!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: