XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:10:19 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: OS preference for Music Server  (Read 25146 times)
music33
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 04:58:23 pm »

I guess what I am getting at is the 3930k requires 130W and is about 4 years old.  With some of the new energy efficient chips, they only need 4.5 watts.  And over those 4 years, Peter has also made dramatic improvements with the software and 'client-server' (music and audio PC) topology is now being advocated.  With these things in mind, perhaps a low energy audio PC should be conceived with a LPSU ;-) 
thanks, dave
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2016, 06:39:30 pm »

With some of the new energy efficient chips, they only need 4.5 watts. 

Hi,
what is this for a CPU?

My intention is to use this one plus a LPSU with the RAM OS:

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i7-4790S+%40+3.20GHz

Joachim
music33
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2016, 09:13:50 pm »

yes, CPU.
A decent read of where Intel is going with CPU's over the next year.
http://wccftech.com/intel-2016-roadmap-leaked-confirms-kaby-lakes-10-core-broadwelle-apollo-lake-processors/
Dave
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2016, 09:08:09 am »

Hmm ... Dave ...

I see nothing of real interest in those new CPU's. But it's my guess you look at it differently than I do.
Of course you can aim for low wattage CPU's but I think I already said that if that would be the aim, we would be using it long ago. I feel that you don't get that it would work all right, but does not sound (at all). Joachim linked to a page where I seem to talk to myself a lot, but please read it, if you did not already. Not only that one post, but the ones under it as well.

On a side note : I don't know what my 3930K is using for power, but since the whole PC will be at 45W or so (I must look into that since the OS is in RAM only) it's maybe 30Watts. This is during playback (32/705600). So if it is about that ...

3930 (or its newer variant for LGA2011, 4930) is a few years old indeed. What LGA2011-3 brings is 4 lane memory (was 3). So, useful, but required for totally nothing that I can see (possibly the CPU can run at a lower frequency now, but I don't know how to make it lower than I can at this moment (230MHz). The new 6900 brings nothing more that I can see. 6950 brings two more cores, so can be useful indeed. But mind the $. And don't forget xeon already does the same and way more (for way more $).

If a processor bares less Wattage, it also doesn't do something what is needed. Only the smaller footprint (like 14nm now) implies less usage (theoretically) but what we do with that is get ourselves more cores again and what we just gained, was lost again (for power usage).

It is 100 times more important that we can use such a processor at ~500MHz (instead of 3GHz+) which no laptop CPU is going to accomplish. So this is about all the extra features in the processor which comsume power, instead of saving energy by leaving out things (which now slow down). For that matter it is even more crucial to have a motherboard which allows for this. I mean, no Asus will allow under 1200MHz, but our LGA2011(-3) ASRock's do ...

At least this is my personal idea about this, but hey ...
Happy Happy

Regards,
Peter

PS: In the mean time I see that we're quite explicitly off topic. Look at the title ... haha (but no probem, in this case).

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2016, 09:11:03 am »

Hi Dave,

The real client-server thing goes like this :

I am on the Audio PC which is playing music, then I think "oh wait, I want to look for more Ray Brown's" and next I hand a command to the Server to sort out what's all available - that Server being connected to the Internet while the Audio PC surely is not, and the Server calling me (the Audio PC) back with the results. Nothing disturbed the Audio PC here, except for a few bytes the Audio PC sent out with the command and the few bytes the result occupies as was asynchronously returned by the Server (the result actually only messaging that things are ready to look at on the Server('s, hey, disk).
What next happens is that I choose for Albums to be prepared out of that result list which thus resides on the Server like all resides there, and after that command is handed out it may be after 5 minutes that I'm called back with an "All ready !". Or after 20 seconds that Album A is ready to be played; it is available like all else on the server.

Now, besides we can now see a real reason for a client (Audio PC) and a server (Music Server PC) to exist, we can also see some additional "tutorial", because it requires a few more Settings to set. Example below (field at the bottom). And with some TCP knowledge you can see that the communication is setup "internally" just the same, as 127.0.0.1 is the Local Address. So the Client-Server principle has been set up for in-PC processes and tasks just the same.

Technically this is all working already, including a nice protocol. It is only yesterday that I started working on the first real functionality for it, which indeed is Tidal. So in XXHighEnd 2.06 this will be there.

It is my intention that working exclusively from a Tablet, all can be done in integrated fashion. That some tasks are performed on the Music Server PC you will not notice. It is like you performed them on the Audio PC and that the Audio PC under the hood is dealing with them. But instead the Music Server PC does and Audio Quality remains 100% untouched, playing meanwhile).

Peter

Peter, this all sounds quite nice and very welcome.  

From a "whole system" point of view I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to do all of the Tidal searching and file manipulation from the Server and leave the AudioPC to do not much at all, not even RDP into it.  I do not understand how you can be RDP'd from your tablet into the AudioPC and be searching Tidal from there while music is playing in Unattended...I thought only one RDP session could be active at a time.  Are you sending the Tidal search data from the Server to the AudioPC in realtime, while the music is playing?  On paper the better way would be to do all the work on the Server and just have a slimmed down version of XXHE on the AudioPC that grabs the music files as needed and accepts play/stop/pause/volume/etc. commands from the Server.

Does this make any sense?

Cheers,

Anthony  

EDIT:  I think I understand "how" you are doing the Tidal stuff mechanically, but not really "why" you are doing it that way

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2016, 09:19:52 am »

3930 (or its newer variant for LGA2011, 4930) is a few years old indeed. What LGA2011-3 brings is 4 lane memory (was 3). So, useful, but required for totally nothing that I can see (possibly the CPU can run at a lower frequency now, but I don't know how to make it lower than I can at this moment (230MHz). The new 6900 brings nothing more that I can see. 6950 brings two more cores, so can be useful indeed. But mind the $. And don't forget xeon already does the same and way more (for way more $).

As you know, I have Pete's XXHE PC here with the 3930K (I assume) and I have stripped it of non-essential hardware and added the Silverstone, RAM-OS, BIOS mods, fan mods etc. to get it identical to my PC but with the i7 instead of my Xeon cpu.

I have not done any proper listening to compare, and I will do soon, but first impressions are that the Xeon sounds better.  Not sure why...larger caches...more cores...blind luck...placebo, but those are my impressions whilst setting up the hardware.

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2016, 12:16:03 pm »

From a "whole system" point of view I would have thought that the best thing to do would be to do all of the Tidal searching and file manipulation from the Server and leave the AudioPC to do not much at all, not even RDP into it.

Anthony,

That is exactly what I tried to say. So somewhere this must be a "mis print". But there will something be (wrong) in this :

I thought only one RDP session could be active at a time.

Apart from tweaking, true.
But I never said anything about two being active. Your "RDP into it" puzzles me a bit, though.

The Music Server is the actual controlling machine (because the last in the chain) of the Audio PC. So that "RDP's" into the Audio PC. This must be, because else there is no connection hence no control. And / however, because we want to remote control the Audio PC, there's RDP in the first place; That we do this by means of a tablet that itself controls the Music Server, is only obfuscating - but no big deal (once you understand the principle).

Point (of misunderstanding ?) is that we have the Audio PC at our fingertips and it is there where we see all of our context, like that one album of Randy Newman missing in our library, and thus want to have that from Tidal. Thus, Audio PC gives the (under the hood) command to the Music Server PC which arranges for that, and messages back a "done !" to the Audio PC, we're still looking at. Now :

What you might envision is the non-sense of being at the Audio PC and we just as well see the Music Server PC to arrange for Tidal stuff directly;
Yes, that can be done, obviously. But now three things are not nice :

1. When I switched to the Music Server's screen I see that and not my Audio PC's screen (while I *am* listening to tracks and like to see which etc.);
2. When I need to change the volume etc. I need to switch to the Audio PC (but something could be made for *that* now, theoretically);
3. How to load the received album from Tidal ? Push it ??

Ad 3.
In the past I tried a few things with that too but it is almost moot and therefore not worth the effort. The really only difference in the end would be the RDP connection not needed and a somewhat more lean connection (which has to be there anyway). And to keep in mind : this is not streaming as such from the music server; it is downloading from it, disconnect that part (RDP remains) and play.

When we remain at the Audio PC all is in my view much simpler plus it is there already.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: