XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 03:34:06 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Building a music server and RAM OS questions  (Read 15978 times)
fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: March 08, 2016, 02:49:13 pm »

Hello
With the help of my friend Dave (music33) I plan to assemble a music server. I am not a strong computer user so I get confused and sometimes lost quite easily. Thanks for your understanding  Wink.

I am hoping the forum can give us some guidance with this and some questions I have about the RAM OS. Below I have some questions or statements. Please give me any suggestions comments or feedback on any or all. Thanks very much in advance

I would think the most simple way would be to have the server with 2 LAN connections.

I will probably buy a used computer for this server. I would want this to be good enough to not have to consider upgrading for a long time. Yesterday I looked at an I5 but an I7 for about $90 more had a larger case to support more HDs. On the subject of hard drives; does it make a difference in SQ if they are internally mounted or external USB type?

It would be really good if there is a way that that the Phasure computer keeps the connection to my NAS (which is my current music software connection but of course the new server as well)when I reboot. My guess is I just don’t know how to do it.

When I make a playlist in XXhighend and play it through, I seem to lose the "library" (it disappears) and it takes close to a minute for the music drive (NAS) before the drive comes back (reappears) into the “library” again. Is this normal? I get the spinning circle and the message that 10586.vhd-RAM is not responding.

Unrelated to the music server. I am now able to play with (no clicks, pops etc.) a much lower number than 4 on SFS. I am not really sure if I like the lower number (.2) more than 4. What exactly does the SFS do? I have read but I don’t really understand.

I am going to revise signature after this post so you can see what I am looking at in XXhighend. Thanks again for all your help with this Thank you !.

Fred

MACH lll PC 14/28 / RAM OS 10493/ 2.10 Phasure NOS1a G3 24/768 USB DAC KS mode -Adaptive/Device buffer -4096/DAC is 32bits 768khz/DAC needs -32bits/Phase Alignment - NO/Format Change - enable/ Decode HDCD ON/Processor Core Appointment 3-5/Player Prio LOW/Thread Prio Real Time/Clock Res 15ms/Xtweaks 64,1,1,0,1/ SFS 5.19 MAX 120/Include garbage collect ON/Copy to XXdrive by standard ON/Stop Desktop ON/Stop Remaining ON/Stop Wasapi ON/Keep LAN ON/Use remote desktop ON/Persist ON/OSD ON/Coverart show Wallpaper, show back, at attended, show mirror back/ Q1,3,4,5,xQ1-30,1,1,0,1/40/ Amp: Music Reference RM200 HC version / Speakers Omega HO Alnico Monitors with Audio Smile Super Tweeters  Bass augmented by 2 GR Research OB subwoofers
music33
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 04:54:36 pm »

Just to add some context on the 2 LAN connections -
Fred currently has a NAS, so he could do either
(a) Connect the NAS to the music server directly.  In this case, he would need one Ethernet connection for the NAS and one to the audio server.
(b) Not use the NAS and have the music on a drive on the music server,  In this case, one Ethernet connection is needed. 

Fred, if you go with (a), then you only need a small drive just for the OS.  I don't see in either case why you would need a USB type of drive.  You'll either use your NAS or an internal drive in the music server.

In both cases, the audio server would have a drive mapped to where the music resides.

From reading Mani's, post switches and routers should be avoided.  Direct Ethernet connections are better.

The music server needs an OS version that is professional, so RDP connection can be made.

Hopefully I've got everything correct.
nik.d
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:22 pm »

Fred, Dave

As how I look on computer audio: 

- 'Music Server' would be some (older) PC, used as music storage (used instead of NAS server)
- 'Audio PC' would be dedicated PC with powerful CPU & say 16GB of RAM and good (clean) Power Supply. With OS disk in it an nothing else. With Peters solution, it could be 'diskless' machine as well.

Since you have Core2Quad CPU in (as it looks to me) your 'Music Playback' PC, I would use that machine for the role of 'Music Server' and attach all HDD's containing music in there. Would add Gigabit
LAN card as well. You already have some Win OS running, I don't see which one it is, W7 or W8. Doesn't matter, what you need is OS with support for 'Remote Desktop Protocol' so 'Pro' or 'Ultimate" edition.

Your NAS server can be used as backup machine, you would like all your music files be backed up. And your photos & video files stored in there, easily accessible etc.

Now you are on the market for powerful PC with some i7 or similar processor, 16GB of memory, good PSU, PCIe-USB card (Silverstone one) and perhaps one more Gbit LAN card.
You can purchase HDD from Peter with several OS's pre-installed or choose to purchase smaller HDD for OS of your choice - most probably will be W10, 'stripped'. And nothing else.
Half empty but silent and powerfull 'AudioPC'. Never connected to internet. No monitor, keyboard, mouse, graphics card. Remotely controlled from your 'Music PC'.
Next step is 'Tablet PC' connected to 'Audio PC' through 'Music PC', used as nice touch screen remote controller. Larger one preferred, say 9-10".

Hope my 'view' helps a bit.
George

XXHE 2.11a / W10 14393.0 / Asrock Extreme4-M, Xeon E5-2648L, 16GB DDR3 / NOS1, Starcrimson GaNFET monoblocks, GR Research 'Venuette' OB
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 09:37:30 pm »

Very good summary George! ok

Juan

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 12:49:44 am »

Sorry for the confusion about my PC. It is actually the XXhighend PC with RAM OS HD. I have edited my signature. Therefore I only need the computer for the server. Thanks, George for confirming I need a second LAN card installed for the server.

I currently have a bunch of external USB HD drives. Will SQ with these be the same as an internally mounted HD? I know "everything matters" so since I am starting on this server journey I want to optimize from the start. Hence some of my other questions in the original post.

Based about what I am reading, the tablet will be the way to go. Would that be attached via wireless router to the new server PC?

Thanks everyone

MACH lll PC 14/28 / RAM OS 10493/ 2.10 Phasure NOS1a G3 24/768 USB DAC KS mode -Adaptive/Device buffer -4096/DAC is 32bits 768khz/DAC needs -32bits/Phase Alignment - NO/Format Change - enable/ Decode HDCD ON/Processor Core Appointment 3-5/Player Prio LOW/Thread Prio Real Time/Clock Res 15ms/Xtweaks 64,1,1,0,1/ SFS 5.19 MAX 120/Include garbage collect ON/Copy to XXdrive by standard ON/Stop Desktop ON/Stop Remaining ON/Stop Wasapi ON/Keep LAN ON/Use remote desktop ON/Persist ON/OSD ON/Coverart show Wallpaper, show back, at attended, show mirror back/ Q1,3,4,5,xQ1-30,1,1,0,1/40/ Amp: Music Reference RM200 HC version / Speakers Omega HO Alnico Monitors with Audio Smile Super Tweeters  Bass augmented by 2 GR Research OB subwoofers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 07:45:33 am »

Hi Fred,

I won't be going into the answers I already gave you by email (and I'm not even sure why you ask those questions again, apart from the convenience of copy-paste (haha)).

If anything what's attached to the Music Server PC makes a difference in sound, I'll eat something strange.

Your NAS can just be connected to the Music Server PC and will be acessible by the Audio PC like anything else will be accessible in your Music Server PC from there.
It is only that you don't need any NAS when a Music Server PC is there already (providing the same facility). But if you have it anyway ...

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 07:53:37 am »

Hi Fred,
I don't think it matters what you do in the Music Server Pc. I mean that no matter the structure of the Music Server Pc, if you have the hdd inside or not, because in the end the Music Server Pc is used to send the music files through the Remote Desktop, to the Audio Pc.
I personally don't use a tablet as I have near me the Music Server Pc, so I use a monitor and a keyboard. The problem may come from the noise generated by the Music Server Pc and the switching devices you plug in same power ring than the Audio Pc, like certain components as a Dock for external hdd. The solution I'm working on now is to make the Music Server Pc completely silent and to avoid the switching plugs. To do it I'm going to use an auto refrigerated motherboard like this one: http://www.asrock.com/mb/intel/q1900-itx/
I will also replace the HDD containing the OS for a 120Gb SSD with W10 and XXHighEnd (in case I want to use Tidal) and another 500Gb SSD with a selection (Flac ) of the music that interests me more. These SSDs are SATA connected internally. I'll keep the other hdds I have with several Tb of music as backup and to record more SSD. As PSU for the Music Server Pc you can use a fanless Seasonic or a Mini-Box picoPSU. As a PC case I'll probably use something like a Thermaltake Cube V1 but won't use its fan. The cost of this Music Server Pc including the SSDs: 300/400€ depending if you already have some of the components.
For the purposes of SQ what matters is how to manage the information once it arrives to the Audio Pc (Ram-disk etc.) and thereafter ( NOS 1 etc.).

Best regards,
Juan
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 06:58:07 pm by juanpmar » Logged

Audio Pc: Processor i7 970: 3200MHz (reduced to 1668MHz), 6+6 cores/ RAM Corsair DDR3, 24Gb, 1333MHz/ Mb Asus X58 Sabertooth/ OS and XXHE in Peter's RAM-Disk / The CPU fan is the only one in the Audio Pc: NF-S12A (600rpm/6.7db)/ No graphic card/ Power supply: Seasonic SS-400FL2, fanless.

Configuration and Updates in HOW I'VE BUILT MY NEW PC...http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1673.0. This post is very old but maybe someone still find it useful

XXHighEnd: 2.11a. Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN/ KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0/ #4 Engine/ Adaptive Mode/ Q1=10, Q3,4,5=1, xQ1=15/ Dev.Buffer: 4096/ ClockRes: 15ms/ Straight Contiguous/ SFS: 0.69 (max 0,69)/ Not Invert/ Phase Alignment Off/ Allow format change/ Decode HDCD/ Playerprio: Low/ ThreadPrio: Real Time/ Scheme: Core 3-5/ UnAttended/ Not Switch during Playback Off/ Playback Drive none/ UnAttended/ Include Garbage Collect/ Copy to XX Drive by standard/ Always clear Proxy before Playback/ Stop Desktop Services/ Stop Remaining Services/ Stop All Services: Off/ Keep LAN Services: On - Persist: Off/ Use Remote Desktop/ Minimize OS/ XTweaks : Balanced Load 35/ Nervous Rate 10/ Cool when Idle -/ Provide Stable Power 0/ Utilize Cores always 1/ Time Performance Index: Optimal / Time Stability: Stable / Arc Prediction/ Number of cores in use: 12 (máx. 6-12)

Music Server PC (W10) totally silent with OS (W10) in SSD and music inside in SSDs - RDC > Ethernet Gigabyte cable 3m > Audio Pc > 1m USB Lush cable directly from the USB3.0 in the motherboard > PHASURE NOS1a-75B-G3 (Driver v1.0.4) 16ms > Blaxius BNC interconnects > Genelec 1037B 3-Way Active speakers with BNC inputs
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 09:21:32 am »

I personally don't use a tablet as I have near me the Music Pc, so I use a monitor and a keyboard.

Hi Juan, I totally understand why you would want to make your music-PC silent, because it is currently in close proximity to where you sit, and you use it directly for controlling the audio-PC. But making PCs silent introduces considerable costs.

Please bear in mind the solution that I've adopted (based on Peter's recommendations and the thread that KnB started). My music-PC is full of HDDs and fans. No problem because it sits well away from my listening room in the basement. It is connected via a direct ethernet connection to the audio-PC. My audio-PC happens to sit in fairly close proximity to the music-PC, but quite frankly it could be 100m away because the ethernet connection would still work fine. I then use my work laptop to create an RDC connection to the music-PC. This setup works so well.

The problem may come from the noise generated by the Music Pc and the switching devices you plug in same power ring than the Audio Pc, like certain components as a Dock for external hdd. The solution I'm working on now is to make the Music Pc completely silent and to avoid the switching plugs.

In my setup, both PCs share the same 'dirty' AC mains line. But what I've done (which I'm not sure anyone else has tried yet) is to have the rest of the system (NOS1a and active Orelos) powered on a totally separate (and as isolated as possible) 'clean' AC mains line. It is the Intona USB isolator that then has the job of keeping the two lines galvanically isolated to prevent ground loops. This way, you can continue to use as many switching devices as you want.

So Juan, why don't you simply place the music-PC in a totally different location and save a lot of money in the process?

Mani.

(Edited to make more comprehensive.)

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
juanpmar
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 02:40:21 pm »

Hi Mani,  as you see in my previous post the Music Server PC I'm thinking about is quite cheap. I don't use either a NAS nor a tablet as I said. As far as I know and based on what I read here it's not necessary a powerful Pc to be used as Music Server Pc. In fact right now I'm using an old AMD pc with 4Gb Ram DDR2, it works perfectly with the RDC and the two hdd of 2Tb each that I have now in a dock connected via USB3 to this Music Server Pc. It is only that I want to make it totally silent.
About to isolate totally the Audio Pc, at this moment I can't build a separate AC mains line but, although I'm using the same AC line for all the system, I can use some AC filters I have to isolate the NOS1a and the active Genelec as much as possible. I'm using also the Intona.
To have the Music Server Pc near me it is, at this moment, more convenient and cheaper than have it in another room.
Thanks anyway for sharing your setup.

Juan

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »

Fred,

I just read back a little and ...

I won't be going into the answers I already gave you by email (and I'm not even sure why you ask those questions again, apart from the convenience of copy-paste (haha)).

Now I am not even sure where I got this from (my) this morning. Possibly because of what Dave mentioned and I saw that as one pile of "question".

Apologies.
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 04:04:09 pm »

With the danger that it obfuscates your other questions and answers to them :

When I make a playlist in XXhighend and play it through, I seem to lose the "library" (it disappears) and it takes close to a minute for the music drive (NAS) before the drive comes back (reappears) into the “library” again. Is this normal? I get the spinning circle and the message that 10586.vhd-RAM is not responding.

I feel I miss some data points here.
What is "library" ? and what means "it disappears" ?
If possible talk in XXHighEnd terms (all for "Library" in there would be Library Area) or Windows terms (where "Library" as such surely exists, but which will not be what you mean (I think).

However, Fred, regarding your last sentence I feel that something really unfamiliar (to me) is going on anyway. Unless that is not a message, but just the title of the now stalled form (XXHighEnd's screen).

Lastly, try to elaborate somewhat about your means of playback. Example : When I start playback and it is in Unattended fashion, there is nothing to see because the whole screen is blanked and next the Coverart of the album appears.
Also, I'd day that you try to bring across that the "Library" comes back only after a long time when playback stops. But this is not what you are saying ...

All 'n all I don't understand much of it all, so please help me a little.

Thanks,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 06:55:24 pm »

Hi Peter
Sorry about the cut and pasted post I was hoping to keep Dave in the loop.
The Library question was OT and down below in the post so I can see why it could be missed. I'll respond in a new topic. Thanks

Fred

fmanheck
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 07:38:17 pm »

With the danger that it obfuscates your other questions and answers to them :

I feel I miss some data points here.
What is "library" ? and what means "it disappears" ?
If possible talk in XXHighEnd terms (all for "Library" in there would be Library Area) or Windows terms (where "Library" as such surely exists, but which will not be what you mean (I think).

However, Fred, regarding your last sentence I feel that something really unfamiliar (to me) is going on anyway. Unless that is not a message, but just the title of the now stalled form (XXHighEnd's screen).

Lastly, try to elaborate somewhat about your means of playback. Example : When I start playback and it is in Unattended fashion, there is nothing to see because the whole screen is blanked and next the Coverart of the album appears.
Also, I'd day that you try to bring across that the "Library" comes back only after a long time when playback stops. But this is not what you are saying ...

All 'n all I don't understand much of it all, so please help me a little.

Thanks,
Peter

Can't figure out how to make this a new topic so here goes anyway

My music Root in settings is mapped to my NAS so what comes up in the Library area of XXhighend is a list of all the music files located in the NAS. I drop and drag songs into the Playlist area from the Library area.

I run Min OS and Unattended with Arc Prediction when I play songs (playlists)

When I hit play button, it scrolls down through the list and then everything closes down and music plays (beautifully I might add) screen either has  artwork or a big XX when I don't have artwork

After the playlist is completed playing, the XXhighend screen comes back but in the library area it is either blank or has artwork but it does not have the music list from the NAS.

When I press the L button it takes about a minute (I timed and it was around 45 seconds)for the NAS music list to reappear. During that time it has the Microsoft circle with the blue circumference going around (I interpret that as it is processing) and it says it is not responding. After that all is good.

Is this normal?

I think it also led me to one of the other questions I had:

"It would be really good if there is a way that that the Phasure computer keeps the connection to my NAS (which is my current music software connection but of course the new server as well)when I reboot. My guess is I just don’t know how to do it."

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 08:54:34 am »

OK Fred, here goes :

I think your problems will be over when you go to the Settings Area and in there find the Services and OSD section, and there activate (make red) Keep LAN Services (you will already have that) and also the Persist, next to it.
Now the connection to the NAS won't even drop.

Btw, the culprit will be the Synology NAS in combination with Windows 10. Both are "so so" in my view.

Later, when you have your Music Server PC up and running, you won't have this problem, because then the connection is
a. Windows - Windows for the both PC's (but W7 on the Audio PC will be similary slow);
b. You will have the NAS permanently connected to the Music Server PC, as that is the Music Server ...

So ... does my suggestion help to get rid of the issue ?

Not important but maybe good for "communication" as such and to satisfy my nitpicking :

I drop and drag songs into the Playlist area from the Library area.

Literally this is impossible. So what you will be doing is activating the Library Area ([ L ]), and then drag from the Embedded Explorer in the left pane, to the middle pane which changes into the Playlist Area because of that.

Best regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 08:56:50 am »

Can't figure out how to make this a new topic

You are correct that this is not (always) obvious;

Go to one of the boards first. So, be *not* in a topic, like you will be at this moment, reading this post. Back up one step (in this case to the board "Chatter and forum related stuff".
Once in there, you'll see a New Topic link in the top-right of the screen (under Search).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: