XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 18, 2024, 09:10:20 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: VINYL CLEANING  (Read 5960 times)
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« on: March 20, 2016, 07:20:03 pm »

Hi,

Vinyl cleaning with an astonishing result. (amazing sound afterwards)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHiGODezyzY

Procedure in contradiction to the video:

First cleaning (of a batch of appr. 10 records) 3 times with alternating rotations, let’s drip off the water, store the wet LP in the vertical against a wall or etc.

After appr. 10 minutes clean the wet LP again 6 times with alternating rotations each.

Lets drip off the water and dry both sides with a very thin cotton cloth (old undershirt, Egyptian cotton), no droplets of water shall be on the surfaces only (no more drying, the grove is still wet), and store the wet LP in the vertical until it’s dry.

I’m using the cleaning fluid intended for the Audio Desk machine (1 small bottle for 5 ltrs) with very good results.

Investment: appr. 100 €

Joachim
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 08:45:05 am »

Hi Joachim, I'm busy for the next week or so, but will definitely take a look at this once I have my feet back on the ground.

Cheers, Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:57:00 am »

Maybe Joachim can make a YouTube himself, because the one presented really doesn't make sense.

"See ? a lot cleaner !!"
Oh, is that so ... Tongue

Start with a well treated LP and not one which was used as frisbee and comes directly from the beach.
You know, I start to be allergic to such stupid YouTubes. It destroys the internet plus its wastes time.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 10:20:52 am »

He, he

I'm coming back later this day and you'll be surprised. I'm digitizing the cleaned LP's and ............ .

Joachim
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 01:38:50 pm »

Hi,

Prior the digitization of the vinyls (I’m familiar with LP’s since I was twelve) they have been cleaned with an “ultrasonic unit” from Gläss.
Since the “LAST” application came on the market in the 80ies the LP’s were treated. The drawback of this treatment is that there are clicks coming up after a couple of years (clicks never heard before, and I used all LP’s not more than 2 times because they have been “Studer machine taped”).
The “ultrasonic cleaning” removes most of the clicks but not all and I used iZotope to ... . The Gläss cleaner was sent to repair to the manuf. and in the meantime the “Record Washer” came into action with very good results. Now nearly all the remaining clicks were removed and the LP’s are “nearly dead silent”. The SQ of the digitized LP’s improves with very nice highs and an analogue sound.

Comparing both digital files (CD rips + LP) the CD rips have more details. The cymbals are playing with the CD rips more in the front of the sound stage and are more emphasised. The sound of the LP rips has more density and more air between the instruments. The cymbals are more emerged within the sound with the LP “rips”.

Both SQs are great. If you want to go into details and serious listening the CD rips are your choice, and if you like an analogue sound the LP rip is your preference, especially when you are sitting an adjacent room (kitchen, library or “toilet”)

Most of the guys in the “Youtube videos” have really no experience with the vinyls. You can’t handle LP’s in such a rude manner. To dry a LP we shall use a soft cotton wool cloth and sweep the drops softly with one or two “rotations” away. Afterwards the groove shall be still moist. (same kind of wetness when the LP comes out of the ultrasonic cleaner – Mani knows the picture)

This well-prized record washer is a strong recommendation for the washing procedure prior to digitizing. Please use for best results the cleaning method mentioned in the first reply of this thread.

Joachim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: