XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 16, 2024, 03:21:58 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The affect an HDD has on sound quality  (Read 5017 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 02, 2016, 06:28:00 pm »

I've been doing some pretty extensive testing recently, trying to figure out if going the microRendu route is the best way forward for ultimate sound quality. Right now, the resounding answer is NO. My two PCs running from RAM-OS both sound substantially better than my mircoRendu - the gap is pretty large. This could be down to the cheap iFi power supply I'm currently using with the mircroRendu, so hopefully, I'll get a chance to try it with a better PSU in the near future. But that's not the purpose of this thread...

As part of my testing, I captured a number of tracks at the ouptut of the iFi DAC (compatible with the mircroRendu, whereas the NOS1a is not) being fed from the audio PC in my office. As a reference, I captured some outputs from the NOS1a too, again being fed from my office audio PC. When I was listening back, I was really disappointed with the sound of the NOS1a compared to the iFi - the NOS1a was marginally better, but not really any more 'musical' than the iFi. And then it occurred to me that after the last reboot I had left the RAM-OS HDD in the audio PC during the NOS1a captures (and not during the iFi captures). I took the HDD out and re-did the captures from the NOS1a.

For anyone who is interested, this is difference between keeping the RAM-OS disc in your PC and taking it out:

OS running from RAM, but with HDD still inside PC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0PU5LO5jVjfR25XbHFYZWV5QzQ

OS running from RAM, but with *NO* HDD or SSD in PC: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B0PU5LO5jVjfbFpfOTMyOEhFdjg

If your experience of listening to these two files is anything like mine, you will be amazed at the difference. Having the HDD in the PC simply kills the musicality... and to think we've been doing this for years, and years... until Peter offered us the RAM-OS.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 10:34:39 pm »

Mani,
       Yes certainly does sound better without HDD in place. I've been enjoying the Ram OS anyway, its such an improvement over the former playback method. Thanks for music clip I have found some new music in Hadouk Trio very interesting.

I'm about to double my ram to 32g so I can play whole albums of Hires not that I have many, but the few I have do make CD(CD's I like) sound lacking and lifeless.

In fact Peter this is notification I'm increasing my Ram for OS playback.

Regards Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: