XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 27, 2024, 07:29:33 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Testing a few digital cables  (Read 77886 times)
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 06, 2016, 11:52:48 pm »

What a total mind f**k...

I posted the 3 files on Audio Science Review. Ray Dunzl did some analysis on them and found that all 3 are absolutely identical (with a few samples added to #3 - I could hear the clicks but couldn't get rid of them).

And having seen his null results, I'm now having problems hearing any differences between the files!!!

Mani.

I would have been surprised if the files were anything but "bit perfect" so to speak, or "identical"...these sorts of conversions are well sorted in the modern world. 

As to what you hear when your mind has new information to digest then...well...that is quite well documented.

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #61 on: November 07, 2016, 08:32:44 am »

So Anthony, what were we hearing when we said things like:

2. microRendu -> USB-to-spdif converter -> BNC cable -> Tascam recorder digital input

Flatter than the original CD rip - the dynamics are not there. But the colour/tone is pretty similar. I think this is about as good as you're going to get before getting into a fully optimised audio PC like the Mach II. For the cost of the microRendu/LPS-1, it's very good... but certainly not perfect. I'm sure the microRendu crowd on CA wouldn't agree...

3. Mach II -> USB-to-spdif converter -> BNC cable -> Tascam recorder digital input

OK, the dynamics are back. Very, very close to the original CD rip, though I feel there is a slight 'hardening' of the sound. The cymbals now sound 'cheaper', i.e. made of a thicker and inferior metal. I have SFS=4.00 and Q1-5=0 (xQ1=1). It might be possible to 'tune' the sound to become closer to the original by playing around with the XX settings - something that I'll do going forward, if I have the time and inclination. It also occurs to me that maybe this is 14393 showing some of its attributes?

#2 is not though, it interferes too much.
But why the heck is the bass (well, lower mid) is the disturbing factor ?

#3, strangely or maybe better : unexpectedly, is the best background music. It simply is (also) the best musically exhibiting. It is just flowing ....

The original CD Rip is clearly the best sounding here, reasonably closely followed by the third through the Mach II where there is some loss of clarity and perhaps a touch of dynamics.  The second file through the Microrendu is flat, thick and unresolved.  The transients are flattened, the soundstage is less deep and it is what I would call a large departure from the CD rip. 

Most notable is the piano rendition of the Microrendu: the touch of the hammer is muted and dull compared to the other two versions, and the notes are quickly truncated and fail to hang due to the lower resolution and smearing of other instruments and notes.

Saying that, I don't think the Mach II is perfect either, but it is much, much closer to the original CD rip, and remember that I am not playing back using a Mach II.

We've just established that the 3 files were identical (a few added clicks in #3). There simply could not be any sonic differences between them, right? BUT... we heard differences. All in our minds?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: November 07, 2016, 08:48:31 am »

At least I was lucky to be so ignorant to judge the #3 as the best sounding, even after knowing (finally) that the #1 was the original.

Btw, I did not expect the files to be different. I mean, not one single moment I even considered it. IOW :
Make two of these recording from your best (or worse) setup and, for example, have the SFS different between the two.
Now too, I wouldn't even consider that the files could be different. They just ARE the same.

So don't worry. Happy

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #63 on: November 07, 2016, 09:52:23 am »

So don't worry. Happy

For me, it's a reminder that remaining objective is bloody difficult.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
acg
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 07, 2016, 11:16:38 am »

We've just established that the 3 files were identical (a few added clicks in #3). There simply could not be any sonic differences between them, right? BUT... we heard differences. All in our minds?

Mani.

My main point was that something would be wrong if the files were not the same.  For instance, as Peter said above, we can influence the sound in XXHE by changing this dial and that one and minimising the OS but in all cases the bits remain the same, they are not changed.  How do we change the sound with those dials?  By changing the behaviour of the cpu and other parts of the computer and altering how the transport (MR or Mach II in this case) interacts with the DAC. 

Audio PC
Stealth Mach II with Xeon E5 2698 v4 20 Core 2GHz  with Hyperthreading On [40 cores]/ 32GB Ram / RAM-OS / mobo USB port

XXHighEnd 2.11 RAM-OS (W14393 RAM)
Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Buffer 4096 / Q1/3/4/5 = 14/1/1/1 / xQ1 = 1 / Processor Core Appointment Scheme = Core 1-3 / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / ClockRes = 1ms / Not Switch during playback = off / Xtweaks Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 100 / Cool when idle = 1 / Provide stable power = 0 / Utilize cores always = 1 / Time Stability = Stable / Time Performance Index = Optimal / SFS 0.90MB Max 120MB / Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect = on / Start Playback during conversion = off / Do not start playback at all = off / Copy to XX-drive by standard = on / Always clear Proxy before Playback = on / Stop Remaining Desktop Services = on / Stop Desktop Services = on / Stop Remaining Services = on / Stop WASAPI Services = on / Stop W10 Services = off / Keep LAN Services = on / Persist = off / Use Remote Desktop = on/ Arc Predict / Minimize OS = on / Peak Extend = off / Unattended

Audio Chain
Stealth MachII PC >> Lush^2 USB 1.1m >> NOS1a G3 B75, Driver v1.0.4 (4ms) >> Blaxius^2 >> 10Y DHT Preamp >> 6 way active horn speakers (Single Ended Triodes)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #65 on: November 07, 2016, 11:25:41 am »

Yes I agreee. XX can only influence the noise getting to the DAC - there is no possible other explanation for why any of the XX settings change the sound.

But back to this 'test'...

Why did you, Peter and me hear a difference between the 3 files... when they were absolutely identical?

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #66 on: November 07, 2016, 11:31:21 am »

Why do you hear a difference when you change XX dials ?

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #67 on: November 07, 2016, 11:34:54 am »

Actually there is only one thing that worries me : that I judged #3 to be the better one (over #1).
Oh, I can live with it all right, but if I am correct with that judgement (notice that Anthony already does not agree), I am eager to apply a similar improvement without the hoopla of recording the digital file (output by the Stealth) digitally first.
haha

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #68 on: November 07, 2016, 11:38:15 am »

Why do you hear a difference when you change XX dials ?

XX can only influence the noise getting to the DAC - there is no possible other explanation for why any of the XX settings change the sound.

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #69 on: November 07, 2016, 11:40:20 am »

... but if I am correct with that judgement...

And this is exactly my point - you were not correct with that judgement! It's an absolute impossibility... The 3 files were identical!!!

You, Anthony and I were hearing differences that were simply not there.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #70 on: November 07, 2016, 11:48:02 am »

I'm going to redo the test, but this time through an DAC and then ADC. The path will be:

microRendu (no DSP) or Mach II (no DSP) -> Chord 2Qute DAC -> Prism AD124 ADC -> Tascam spdif digital in

In this case, even though the mR and the Mach II are producing bit-perfect outputs (as proven by Ray on ASR), we certainly should expect to have a difference in SQ. We'll see...

Oh and BTW, this time I am not going to reveal which captured file is which! Let's get any listening biases out of the way.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #71 on: November 07, 2016, 11:48:14 am »

Are you now serious ?
If so, you may have lost it.

yes

(referring to your one but last post)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #72 on: November 07, 2016, 11:51:37 am »

If so, you may have lost it.

OK, I did myself. swoon

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #73 on: November 07, 2016, 11:53:07 am »

Are you now serious ?

Of course I'm serious!

#2 vs. #1 nulls to zero.
#3 vs. #1 nulls to zero (if clicks ignored).

On conversion in the DAC, there can be no difference between the 3 files. It would be like loading file #1 three times and hearing a difference between them, surely?

Peter, please enlighten me - where am I going wrong with my thinking?

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #74 on: November 07, 2016, 11:56:57 am »

Peter, please enlighten me - where am I going wrong with my thinking?

No-where so far. The mistake I made today was thinking about the offsets and difference with filtering (you will remember from CA-Dennis). But then I saw your "no DSP" in you later post and it reminded me about the not-upsampling you applied. So there can't be a filter and thus also no difference implied by that PLUS that it is all digital to begin with and no difference is no difference.

Did I hear the same/similar differences in both the files (your example track and mine) or do I suffer from amnesia ?

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: