XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 01:40:06 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fun with speaker placement :-)  (Read 5935 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:14:15 pm »

I thought I'd start a new topic to follow on from this:

... I think the sound is pretty good... but still not quite 'there'. If I adjust the speakers so that voices sound palpable and real, the LF (below 60Hz, say) seems slightly lacking. If I adjust them so that this LF is more pronounced, the mid-lows/upper-bass seem too prominent - vocals become unrealistically husky.

I decided to take a few measurements. The obvious tool would be REW, which I've used in the past. But I wanted to use the system exactly as it is (XX -> NOS1 -> BD amps -> Anima speakers), and not mess around switching gear. So, I decided to simply play a pink noise signal and capture the speaker output at the listening position with a measurement mic. The charts below show the following:

1. The pink noise signal, with its -3dB/octave slope on the FFT

- exactly as expected
- in an ideal world, it'd be great to be within a few dB of this curve

2. The captured signal, with the original speaker position (placed right in the corner).

- ~-8dB/octave roll-off below 60Hz
- 'hump' between 100-200Hz
- lack of HF above 10kHz
- matches my comment, "If I adjust them so that this LF is more pronounced, the mid-lows/upper-bass seem too prominent - vocals become unrealistically husky."

3. Hypothetically increasing the mid and high by 4dB (I didn't actually do this)

- would solve the 'hump' issue
- would exacerbate lack of LF
- lack of HF would remain
- matches my comment, "If I adjust the speakers so that voices sound palpable and real, the LF (below 60Hz, say) seems slightly lacking."

4. What I actually did: moved the speakers away from corner, and reduced the mid/high level. (This no doubt reduces the overall sensitivity of the speakers, and probably necessitates the use of a reasonably powerful amp.)

- ~-8dB/octave roll-off below 60Hz remains
- 'hump' between 100-200Hz now elimated
- HF now drops away above 15kHz

The sound is now substantially better balanced with the new speaker placement. However, there's still the unavoidable roll-off below 60Hz. (Just to put this is context though - with the Orelos, I had a dip of 25dB at 50Hz in this same room!) I'm going to see how I go before I start thinking about what to do (if anything).

One thing that I already know though is that I'd prefer the sound to be a bit more... what's the word?... hmm... how can I describe it?... ah, I know... lush!

Mani.

* 1. Pink noise source.jpg (82.51 KB, 1009x742 - viewed 641 times.)

* 2. Actual _ speaker in corner.jpg (116.95 KB, 1257x835 - viewed 634 times.)

* 3. Hypothetical _ speaker in corner.jpg (117.65 KB, 1216x891 - viewed 619 times.)

* 4. Actual _ speaker away from corner.jpg (110.05 KB, 1275x843 - viewed 649 times.)

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
briefremarks
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 04:39:11 pm »

Mani,

I was just about to post something asking about experiences with speaker placement, room treatments, etc.  I know that VJ had posted earlier about the dramatic differences after he re-arranged Orelos and treated his room.

I've started to get used to the astonishing dynamics and clarity of the Orelos, and with the break-in now underway want to take some measurements and see how frequencies look with variations in placement.

The main variable for me is the distance from the "front wall".  I've tried everything from 10" to 24".  Further out sounds more spacious.  Have not tried any of the FM switches yet.

Of course, I'm trying to find a balance between optimum sound and everyday living!

Ramesh

Audio PC: Stealth III PC; RAM-OS W10 14393.0. 
XXHE version 2.11.
Music Server: XXHE PC, RDC to Audio PC, ET^3 cable
XXHE settings: Q1/xQ1 14/x4, Q3/4/5 0/0/1, SFS 10.13 (Max 120), Clock Res 10ms, Core Scheme:3-5, Driver Buffer 16ms, Balanced Load 35, Nervous Rate 10.
Audio PC -> Lush^3 USB (A: WYRG; B: WG-> NOS1(a,75B, G3) -> Blaxius^2.5 (A:BG, B: BG) -> Orelo Mk II active speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:31:08 pm »

Hi Mani,

Very nice work of sharing (or asking Happy).

I think if you toe in or out a little bit and let remain the measuring microphone at the listening position, the dip beyond 15KHz will disappear.

I already noticed your direct beaming (speakers face dead to you) which I think is not the best way for horns of this kind.
You may think it will work out better for the highs, but it is actually the other way around. Anyway, easy to try ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 05:34:36 pm »

I was just about to post something asking about experiences with speaker placement, room treatments, etc.

Hi Ramesh, glad to hear things seem to be going well with the Orelos.

Of course, having the DSP in the LF of the Orelos means you have so much more flexibility than I have with my current speakers. I used the DSP in the Orelos to overcome the dip I was experiencing in the LF (see attached).

Pic 1 - Response from 30Hz to 70Hz with the mic placed just in front of the speaker vs. at the listening position. There was a 25dB dip between 65-35Hz at the listening position.

Pic 2 - Response at the listening position with DSP. Very similar to that with mic placed in front of speaker.

But I have to say that correcting for such a large dip with DSP came at a cost, and I reverted back to the original settings after a while.

Mani.

* Orelo before DSP.jpg (23.49 KB, 970x397 - viewed 655 times.)

* Orelo after DSP.jpg (19.82 KB, 970x397 - viewed 616 times.)

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 05:35:56 pm »

I think if you toe in or out a little bit and let remain the measuring microphone at the listening position, the dip beyond 15KHz will disappear.

Thanks Peter, I'll give it a go.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: