XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:41:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Findings / hiccups / questions  (Read 17958 times)
bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2017, 11:35:07 pm »

After playing with XX for some weeks on Windows Server (with GUI), here are some of my findings / hiccups / questions:

•   Minimize OS gives error message “not allowed for XP”.
•   Straight Continuous (memory organization) gives error message “not possible for XP or lower; will be set to Mixed”.
•   At startup, this error message: “#3 Engine is for Vista, Server 2008, or Windows 7 only” occurs twice.
•   Sometimes playlist remains empty after filling it with tracks; the tracks become visible only after restarting XX.
•   In unattended mode I only see a black screen, no text with information.
•   The only hotkey that works for me in unattended mode is Alt-X; the others do not work.
•   Why is the Windows Explorer always starting when XX starts? This happens also after Alt-X in unattended mode. I do not need the Windows Explorer as I am using an alternative explorer (Double Commander).
•   Using the LAN button always shows “The LAN should be on already”, also when this does not seem the case (such as when my NAS drive is not accessible after quitting unattended).
•   Would it be possible to re-activate LAN automatically after leaving unattended mode?
•   When I add tracks to the P(lay) view using the XX Explorer, the tracks are often not shown, although they will play when pressing Play.

Any guidance on these will be welcome. Anyway, I thought I'd mention these in case they could be useful / relevant for the next release.

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607 build 14393.0 (tentative settings, still experimenting)
HDPlex 100W Linear PSU / Streacom FC5 / HDPLEX 250W Hi-Fi DC-ATX PS converter / Supermicro X11SAE -> Intel i3-6100T with Hyperthreading Off (2 cores), C-States Off, ECC RAM 16GB / music on LAN / XXHighEnd on A: (3GB RAMDisk) / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1=14, Q3=1, Q4=1, Q5=1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 2048 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0,1 (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = No Appointment / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive B: (3GB RAMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop-, Remaining-, WASAPI-Services / Keep LAN - Not Persist / Don't do anything with WallPaper / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = n.a. / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / Upsampling ? / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Lampizator USB cable -> nas4free music server or local MS-EX SLC usb drive / HDPlex Linear PSU / Streacom FC5 PC i3-6100T 16GB RAM / Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB / XXHighEnd  with minimized OS / APlayer with foo_dsd_asio (optional: Audiophile Optimizer 2.20b5 / Fidelizer Pro ) or WTFplay (Linux) / SOtM tX-USBhubEX / Audiophilleo 1 + Pure Power + Audio Aéro Prestige Signature or Uptone Regen + Lampizator Lite 7 DSD256 / Lightspeed Attenuator / Cayin A-88T / Spendor SP100 + 2x REL T5 / Taket H2 + TR2; Hifiman HE-6
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 01:30:42 pm »

Hmm ... I think you are lucky that something plays at all !

As told by (I think) email, WS2012 is not supported by 2.07 yet, and the trick to tell the system that another OS is active (like W10) does not work, unexpectedly. This means that you're indeed using the facilities of XP only, which is, well, nothing much. And if this produces something like a good SQ, wait untill the real thing is there. Happy
A few remarks anyway :

In unattended mode I only see a black screen, no text with information.

This theoretically can be caused by not setting anything for it. Thus, it requires to show the Wallpaper Coverart (see Coverart section in Settings) and/or show the OSD text (see in Services and OSD section the OSD Text field).
However, when the Wallpaper works for Attended and not for Unattended, this is caused by Windows 10 (same WS2010) not being able to show the Wallpaper in the required mode, which lacks because all thinks it is XP.

The only hotkey that works for me in unattended mode is Alt-X; the others do not work.

I think this is unexpected. But then again it depends on what you actually try more and for example, I wouldn't know how much the changing of the volume depends on "not XP"; also see the "#3 is not for Vista etc." message.

Why is the Windows Explorer always starting when XX starts?

Can again be the XP thing, but more probable it is that you leave an Explorer instance running, which makes the check whether the Desktop must start fail and instead another Explorer instance is started; this happens in all versions like this for this reason. So remedy : never leave open any Explorer instance which isn't what you'd want anyway (hard to see for you because in your XP mode almost othing closes down, while almost all should - start thinking about MinOS not working).

Using the LAN button always shows “The LAN should be on already”, also when this does not seem the case

Please keep in touch with this with 2.08 as it could be a general bug. However, then for Normal OS only, which nobody is supposed to use for real (but you have to know). So what I can imagine is that in Normal OS the LAN shuts off because you tell it to, but that elsewhere things go not right because the situation is unexpected. So if later (2.08) you still have a issue with it, please let it know.
According to me all should work fine, but still some combination of things may matter.

Would it be possible to re-activate LAN automatically after leaving unattended mode?

That is how it is supposed to work anyway. But denote "Keep LAN" - "Not Persistent" (which is again all related to the transition of Normal OS to MinOS, so moot again for you now).

All other is (to be) related to the wrong OS detection.

Something else : I need a small test drive for detecting WS2010 properly. So I intend to give you a pre-2.08 version to check out a few things; without further release notes to 2.08 you will be able to really use it when we're done with it.
Is this OK for you ?
I'm not sure about the time window we have for this ... (it is 1:30 pm here at this moment - relate to the time of this post). This, with the notice it may take several days if throughput (and today I am not ready for it anyway, I think).

Best regards,
Peter

PS: Do you have a name please ?

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 12:38:09 pm »

hi Peter,

I will be happy to help test/debug the new pre-version(s) on my system. Please note that I am using Windows Server 2016 with 'User Experience' = GUI.

I will send you a mail so you have my address.

Looking forward to the results, and thanks for your continued work on fine-tuning and improving this wonderful player!

Cheers,
Dennis

Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB 1607 build 14393.0 (tentative settings, still experimenting)
HDPlex 100W Linear PSU / Streacom FC5 / HDPLEX 250W Hi-Fi DC-ATX PS converter / Supermicro X11SAE -> Intel i3-6100T with Hyperthreading Off (2 cores), C-States Off, ECC RAM 16GB / music on LAN / XXHighEnd on A: (3GB RAMDisk) / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1=14, Q3=1, Q4=1, Q5=1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 2048 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0,1 (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / PlayerPrio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = No Appointment / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive B: (3GB RAMDisk) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Stop Desktop-, Remaining-, WASAPI-Services / Keep LAN - Not Persist / Don't do anything with WallPaper / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 43 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = n.a. / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / Upsampling ? / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Lampizator USB cable -> nas4free music server or local MS-EX SLC usb drive / HDPlex Linear PSU / Streacom FC5 PC i3-6100T 16GB RAM / Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB / XXHighEnd  with minimized OS / APlayer with foo_dsd_asio (optional: Audiophile Optimizer 2.20b5 / Fidelizer Pro ) or WTFplay (Linux) / SOtM tX-USBhubEX / Audiophilleo 1 + Pure Power + Audio Aéro Prestige Signature or Uptone Regen + Lampizator Lite 7 DSD256 / Lightspeed Attenuator / Cayin A-88T / Spendor SP100 + 2x REL T5 / Taket H2 + TR2; Hifiman HE-6
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 06:02:48 pm »

OK Dennis, thanks !

I just sent you an email with a test version + explanation. Meanwhile though, I found that before the OSIsW10.tst thing can work, there's also the necessity to rename the file OSIsDifferent.tss to OSIsDifferent.tst. So no bug (I assume now) but an incomplete instruction for you. So if the test as per the email is completed, you can also still try to rename mentioned file as well en retry (now now "XP" should come up). Whether something else goes wrong ... probably. But maybe you can do more (For example, Wallpaper Coverart showing now in Unattended). Anyway I like to know, but don't spend too much time on it please.

When you are done with the OSIsW10.tst, don't forget to also rename back the OSIsDifferent to .tss.

Thanks a lot,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 02:57:59 pm »

Hi Peter,

Test as per email is completed. And your few suggestions already helped a lot, thanks!

The following are now solved after renaming the OSIsW10.tss and OSIsDifferent.tss extensions to tst, and changing the LAN settings.
•   Minimize OS gives error message “not allowed for XP” * SOLVED
•   At startup, this error message: “#3 Engine is for Vista, Server 2008, or Windows 7 only” occurs twice * SOLVED
•   The only hotkey that works for me in unattended mode is Alt-X; the others do not work. * SOLVED
•   Using the LAN button always shows “The LAN should be on already” * SOLVED
•   Would it be possible to re-activate LAN automatically after leaving unattended mode? * SOLVED and the LAN button's color now also shows its on/off-state
•   When I add tracks to the P(lay) view using the XX Explorer, the tracks are often not shown, although they will play when pressing Play * SOLVED?

Remaining are only:
•   In unattended mode I only see a black screen, no text with information. * Changing the Wallpaper settings did not help. Actually for me this is no real problem. The blackness of the screen symbolizes the blackness of the sound background :-)
•   Straight Continuous (memory organization) gives error message “not possible for XP or lower; will be set to Mixed”.
•   Why is the Windows Explorer always starting when XX starts? This happens also after Alt-X in unattended mode. I do not need the Windows Explorer as I am using an alternative explorer (Double Commander). * This may have something to do with the fact that I do no use the normal Windows Shell (as part of system optimizations for audio)

Cheers, Dennis

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2017, 03:04:07 pm »

•   Why is the Windows Explorer always starting when XX starts? This happens also after Alt-X in unattended mode. I do not need the Windows Explorer as I am using an alternative explorer (Double Commander). * This may have something to do with the fact that I do no use the normal Windows Shell (as part of system optimizations for audio)

Hi Dennis,

This (the above) could be dangerous to some extent because almost by guarantee counterproductive elements will be at play. Example : when you let XXHighEnd do its job, there is NO Shell active anywhere (hence the black screen). You can leave it be for now though, but my point could be that any strangeness could spring from this setup. Example again : When playback stops (from Unattended and when the GUI is brought up), mentioned Shell is restarted. But if it is not detected, possibly (I don't even know really) this is done again when not found. And since you have this alternative Shell, it won't be found.

Let me add one other thing (for proper context) : you are the first to use a Server version because you just did already (am I right ?). "We" don't need it in the first place, because the OS is torn down like your server version to begin with ...
Still it will sound different (could be better as such just the same) because everything sounds different.

Also keep in mind please that only "certified" W10 Builds are 100% supported, because as you may know, what works today for Build 693 does not work tomorrow for Build 694. And for Audio this is crucial to avoid (things don't sound right any more "today" and what could be the cause ...).
On the other hand and to be honest, I don't know a thing about native Server versions. All I know that for the Desktop version 14393.0 is the latest one "certified". Mind the .0 ...

Kind regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2017, 06:02:19 pm »

hi Peter,

Indeed I already was running WS2016 with optimized OS (Audiophile Optimizer etc.) so that I can play (or upsample to) DSD. I would prefer to keep that possibility.

Now that many things seem to work fine with XX under Windows Server 2016 after the tss/tst change, I decided to try Minimize OS again. This time it worked, but I think it has messed up a few things. First, I could not create a restore point. Second, I cannot login any longer using Remote Desktop. And third I could not get music to play: there is an error message suggesting me to lower SFS.

Not complaining, as I know XX is built for W10, so just trying to see how far I can push it with WS2016.

Now it is time to think and not do anything hasty, but I am seriously considering to move to W10, hoping that I can use XX's 'Minimize OS' to optimize the OS and then have other players (Russian AlbumPlayer with foo_dsd_asio or HQPlayer) benefit from that when playing DSD.

Will keep you posted...

Cheers, Dennis

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2017, 06:37:02 pm »

Dennis,

First, I could not create a restore point.

Restore Points in MinOS can not be made. So if it is that what you mean ...

Second, I cannot login any longer using Remote Desktop.

There's a separate setting for this in the Services section ("Use Remote Desktop"). Can it be that ?

And third I could not get music to play: there is an error message suggesting me to lower SFS.

Which can just be the thruth and your "inexperience" with the Straight Contiguous Memory setting (which you now have working). If an SFS of 2.00 also does not work, the problem is a different one.
Btw, consider that you must have 16GB of memory, but I suppose you'll have that.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2017, 10:07:52 am »

hi Peter,

I admit inexperience indeed, but am keen to learn :-) Thanks for helping me with that!

• Restore Point before minimizing OS: not having that is OK; I just will make sure I have a Windows Server Backup.
  • Remote Desktop: the setting already seemed OK, but it is working now!
  • Play/SFS error: after fine-tuning buffer (KS mode Adaptive), Q values and SFS this is working now. Actually I was never able to use Straight Contiguous: I am on Mixed Contiguous.

Note that before I was playing from 2 RAMdisks (XX on A: and music on B:), but I now tested without this. Would going back to RAMdisk change any of the above?
Could RAMdisk work with Minimized OS at all?
Here I have to admit I now only have 8GB of ECC memory; but I have two extra slots so I could extend this to 16GB if needed.
What do you advise?

For your information, I counted the processes (P) and threads (T) using the Task Manager:
  • Audiophile Optimizer P45, T450
  • + CAD optimization incl. Desktop Killer P43, T415
  • + Fidelizer Pro P39, T438
  • XXHighEnd normal OS + unattended mode (without the above) P34, T453
  • XXHighEnd minimized OS P29, T340
  • XXHighEnd minimized OS + unattended mode: unable to check as Task Manager cannot be started in this state, correct?

So this looks very good for XX.

I get the impression we are already very close to full XX functionality on Windows Server 2016 – or am I mistaken?

Best, Dennis

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2017, 10:48:55 am »

Hi Dennis,

Restore Point before minimizing OS: not having that is OK;

Hmm ... you say before eh ? So if you mean to say that when going from Normal OS to MinOS no Restore Point can be made, then this is not intended - it just should work. If it does not work then this is not an issue really, unless you think yourself it is. Happy But, it should be caused by AO then (as I don't think the server version is special regarding this).

Actually I was never able to use Straight Contiguous:

It should be possible, but with the notice that your being low on memory (the 8GB) requires a Max SFS which is low (say maxinum 12.00) *and* you need to start playback as fast as possible after a boot (then the sound engine allocates the memory and it will keep on doing that throughout the boot session).

Note that before I was playing from 2 RAMdisks (XX on A: and music on B:),

I can't be sure whether you did that in the right fashion - it looks like not ? Your "music on B:" should be "Playback Drive" is set to B:. This means that your music is elsewhere (could be NAS etc.) but always automatically gets copied to B: before playback starts.
So if you did it like that, it is fine.
Do notice though that with 8GB of memory this is hardly doable. Maybe you can get away with one album in the Playlist Area but certainly not Hires.

XXHighEnd minimized OS + unattended mode: unable to check as Task Manager cannot be started in this state, correct?

That depends; From of a certain W10 build this can work - I forgot which. But just the same : with a newer build it maybe stopped again. I can't tell because - as said - 14393.0 is the latest which is formally supported. Btw do notice that any build which is not formally supported WILL have something wrong with it. So each W10 version/build supported (which are 5 IIRC) has special functionality to let it work well. And oh, this is also how something of the Server version may not work. Thus, not because it is the Server version, but because it requires special attention software wise. Anyway :
I forgot, but you must or set Q3, Q4 and Q5 all to 1, or all to 0 for Taskmanager to work (which means : not freeze). You may not want this to be set differently than you have it at this moment, but to check the processes etc. you can temporarily change it.
Oh, I am just thinking ... You say "can not start it". This seems to tell that you don't know the ctrl-shift-esc sequence. So indeed, without that you can not start Task Manager in Unattended and MinOS (no Taskbar etc.).

I get the impression we are already very close to full XX functionality on Windows Server 2016 – or am I mistaken?

It looks like it, yes. But if you have a spare minute, I like you to reinstall the normal Windows Shell because it is one of the key things to work or fail in any W10 Build. And, I am asking because your lacking Wallpaper Coverart and ever starting Explorer when you bring up the GUI. So yes, I realize that you are fine with it, but I just like to know whether the Sever version works all the way, or that really something fails here. Especially the ever starting Explorer should be a pain. yes

Thank you for your help !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2017, 11:01:08 am »

Maybe a bit talking to myself :

While looking into the OSIsW10.tst thing, I noticed that something is not completely right in there. This is again related to the dedicated support for certain W10 Builds. So, we have OSIsW10.tst but actually it should be OSIsW10-10074.tst, OSIsW10-10240, ..., OSIsW10-14393.0.

Thinking further, possibly nothing goes wrong really, and your 14393.693 will be treated as 14393.0.
For others : Would this be 15xxx.xxx+ (which also exists I think) then a few things won't work well.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2017, 12:00:32 pm »

Hmm ... you say before eh ? So if you mean to say that when going from Normal OS to MinOS no Restore Point can be made, then this is not intended - it just should work. If it does not work then this is not an issue really, unless you think yourself it is. Happy But, it should be caused by AO then (as I don't think the server version is special regarding this).
I disabled all other optimizations before testing XX. So no AO or FP were applied. However, it is known that some AO optimizations remain after resetting te services. The error I get is: "Restore Point FAILED - Error 01: Not Found".

It should be possible, but with the notice that your being low on memory (the 8GB) requires a Max SFS which is low (say maxinum 12.00) *and* you need to start playback as fast as possible after a boot (then the sound engine allocates the memory and it will keep on doing that throughout the boot session).
I will try and keep you posted regarding Straight Contiguous.

I can't be sure whether you did that in the right fashion - it looks like not ? Your "music on B:" should be "Playback Drive" is set to B:. This means that your music is elsewhere (could be NAS etc.) but always automatically gets copied to B: before playback starts.
So if you did it like that, it is fine.
Do notice though that with 8GB of memory this is hardly doable. Maybe you can get away with one album in the Playlist Area but certainly not Hires.
Yes I did it in the right fashion (music copied from NAS to B:), sorry if I was ambiguous. I have the RAMdisks now at 1.5GB each, just to try some songs at the time. If it really sounds better than non-RAMdisk, I could boost the memory to 16GB.
Still I wonder: would RAMdisk work OK in minimized OS mode?
For the test above I just played from a usb stick, no NAS and no RAMdisk.

I forgot, but you must or set Q3, Q4 and Q5 all to 1, or all to 0 for Taskmanager to work (which means : not freeze). You may not want this to be set differently than you have it at this moment, but to check the processes etc. you can temporarily change it.
Oh, I am just thinking ... You say "can not start it". This seems to tell that you don't know the ctrl-shift-esc sequence. So indeed, without that you can not start Task Manager in Unattended and MinOS (no Taskbar etc.).
I could not start it with Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Shift-Esc (nothing much else to click in minimized OS I agree).

But if you have a spare minute, I like you to reinstall the normal Windows Shell because it is one of the key things to work or fail in any W10 Build. And, I am asking because your lacking Wallpaper Coverart and ever starting Explorer when you bring up the GUI. So yes, I realize that you are fine with it, but I just like to know whether the Server version works all the way, or that really something fails here. Especially the ever starting Explorer should be a pain. yes
I already installed the normal Windows Shell before testing. I noticed that sometimes the taskbar fully disappears (at it should I guess), but sometimes it is still there, or partly there, without being clickable. The good news: the Explorers no longer pop up!

Thanks again & cheers, Dennis

bodiebill
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2017, 12:14:45 pm »

*update* Yes, Straight Contiguous worked after doing what you said. I must say the sound is gorgeous, and Minimize OS really makes a difference!

I found out for myself: it works!

After fine-tuning, it seems that your player has dusted off the cobwebs of the PCM part of my Lampizator DAC. For the first time it can compete with its DSD part :-)

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2017, 12:21:54 pm »

Dennis,

I disabled all other optimizations before testing XX. So no AO or FP were applied. However, it is known that some AO optimizations remain after resetting te services. The error I get is: "Restore Point FAILED - Error 01: Not Found".

If you switch on Logging (at the bottom in Settings), in your XX folder a subfolder TemporaryData will contain log files;
Could you, with a next attempt to make the Restore Point, attach (to a post) the newest XX- log file (only XX-, no others are needed) ?
I don't recognize any "not found" situation, so it could be a server thing.
Take your time for this - no rush.

I forgot to answer to this earlier on;
Yes, sure it works OK. It is only that I'd think it works out for the worse with so few memory. But otherwise it sounds better.
I suppose you read this one, right ? Installing and using a RAMDisk (IMDisk)

I could not start it with Ctrl-Alt-Del or Ctrl-Shift-Esc

I wonder why ... This should normally work.
And ctrl-alt-esc works in Normal OS ?

Btw, if you (can ?) start TaskManager in advance of Unattended playback, it will keep on running.

I already installed the normal Windows Shell before testing. I noticed that sometimes the taskbar fully disappears (at it should I guess), but sometimes it is still there, or partly there, without being clickable.

Sadly this is a W10 quirk (since 14388.0). Notice that in the end you won't lack a thing, *if* you only prepare the desktop with icons of programs you regularly need (like Explorer, cmd etc.).

On a side note, don't forget to use XXOSK.Exe and then in the "square" mode. You will see soon how convenient that is. And notice you can resize it by means of dragging the "title bar" corners. Also set "Use Touch Facilities" in Settings (Services and OSD section), when you use the remote for control.

Is it correct that still no Wallpaper shows ?
If indeed not, we must be careful that this is now not caused by other quirks, which easily happen in W10 after first install of XXHighEnd. This can be noticed by any normal Wallpaper not showing. So when no Wallpaper Covert shows, let me know whether you are able to have a normal Wallpaper (set by yourself) and whether this re-appears when you bring up XXHighEnd and press Stop.

Peter

PS: For 2.08 WS2016 is now formally supported, but so far without special adjustments for it (I just don't know any yet).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2017, 12:22:44 pm »

*update* Yes, Straight Contiguous worked after doing what you said. I must say the sound is gorgeous, and Minimize OS really makes a difference!

Ah, great !

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: