XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 11:32:10 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is better, Streamer or Software ?  (Read 10276 times)
thankful
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: September 23, 2017, 10:04:08 pm »

Peter,
I an new to the music file format.

The question I have is this; is a  computer with JR River a better way to play back music files or something like an Auralic ARIES streamer?  I currently use a MAC Book Pro with JR River.  I am using the LUSH usb.  Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.  I want the best sound I can get.

Thanks
Kevin
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 09:07:53 am »

Dear Kevin,

So, good question. And well, let's start with this one from yesterday :

Hi, Peter,

[...]

Thank you, again, for your attention. BTW, the SQ in 2.07 is outstanding! It is amazing that you can keep making improvements like this.

Cheers,
Joseph

It is about the "keep making improvements" because that is what audio playback software can do, for the handful of software players with this explicit SQ target on the market. Please notice that among those is not JRiver at all, no matter how much they want that (or how you may feel that, without the real reference). But it is OK to think that JRiver could theoretically do that just the same (because theoretically it could be true indeed).
Not so with the streamers, unless someone hacks it/them and applies some more difficult approvement. But say that the market is too small (for the device in question) to start doing it (but it happened in the past).

Such a streamer (also those of 20K+) is made for comfort and not for the best SQ. And oh, I am not saying that the manufacturers of concern don't do their best to make it good sounding, but it is just a computer again and the focus is the comfort. And do notice that this comfort you pay for, is for both a computer and a user interface and when it is presented to you, it is fixed.
Btw, not much different with a Mac and JRiver, but at least the JRiver part could easily change. The Mac is already more difficult, but is still doable.

Compare the above with a Windows PC of your liking (of the liking of some manufacturer again which makes it a machine for audio) and the high quality software of your liking.

My response now swiftly comes to an end, because a few in this world combine this into a still flexible product with our XXHighEnd as an example of it (as part of the audio playing product as a whole); It allows for tweaking the Operating System so it is prepared for playing audio instead of manipulating Excel sheets and with a couple of golden tips on how to set up a PC for audio (which means reading a whole forum), you will be set much better. More difficult, more hurdles to take, but in the end more satisfactory because just "better".

In the end the latter can end up in a 1+1=3 situation and the typical (but also unique) example is our Stealth PC. This is just a relatively normal PC but it anticipates what the software can do to keep it (literally) cool. So first we have the XXHighEnd software which turns a 130W consumption into 30W consumption (for some reference system), next we start building a PC which knows that situation in advance, next we remove all the active cooling and lastly we build in a linear power supply because with 30W this is easy to accomplish, even internally in the small case and will without active cooling.

So that was the long answer.
The short answer would have been : If you buy a hardware streamer you buy something which is fixed from all angles and wasn't even made for the best SQ. But you plug it in the wall without thinking and you play (ripped) CD's, play from Tidal or use Roon.
All in a mediocre SQ, no matter you have a perfect DAC behind it. The front-end is just as important ...
(and as you know by know, even a stupid thing like a USB cable implies a difference of night and day)

I could add that streaming as such is the worst scenario for good Sound Quality. This is somewhat harder to explain, but relates to what software like XXHighEnd does in order to eliminate bad (SQ) influences because the Operating System performing other processes as well, while streaming adds a 100 fold of such processes. This is also how the software should attack the modern streaming by turning that into normal playback again - as if it were local - which is exactly what XXHighEnd does.
And no, this was not an advertisement for XXHighEnd, but it tries to show you a few aspects (of huge work) which impacts sound quality which you possibly did not know about.

Thanks and regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
thankful
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 06:17:20 pm »

Peter,
Thanks for the feedback.  To summarize your response it sounds like a good pc (modified/upgraded to play music) is the way to go.

What would one of your pc's modified along with your XX software cost?  I am interested.  I am selling some speaker cables on Audiogon and once they sell I will have some money. I want the best sound I can get.

p.s.  I am not real tech savvy so how would I get support for setup etc.?

My equipment:
Lampizator Amber II DAC
Primaluna Dialogue Premium Tube Integrated Amplifier

Thanks very much.
Kevin
thankful
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 06:21:48 pm »

Peter,

Just another note.  I have an external hard drive that I connect to the MAC Book Pro with my files on it.  I use your Lush usb and an Uptone Audio ISO Regen.

If I got the Auralic ARIES streamer I was going to connect the hard drive to it and stream my files in that manner.

However, I am interested in your pc/xx software option.

Thanks

Kevin
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 06:41:30 pm »

Kevin,

p.s.  I am not real tech savvy so how would I get support for setup etc.?

Maybe it was my very last intention to interest you for any setup around our gear. I mean, it may not be easy at all and also costs some. But a few examples :

When you obtain the RAM-OS Disk, all is preinstalled (4 different OSes + the playback software in all OSes). This costs 360 euros plus 72 for the XXHighEnd license. But yes, you are fairly free of install troubles, because all has been done for you.

If you shovle that disk in the removable bay of the Stealth PC, you have just that arranged for similarly. All set and prepared for the best. Loads that OS disk (for the OS of your choice) from RAM and when done you can remove it and all still keeps on playing. Sets you back for only 2460 euros (ahum).
Mach II XXHighEnd PC with Linear Power Supply.

In either case the support is what you may derive from what happens on this forum (not so many questions lately, but wait until I put up 2.08 (in a few minutes - haha). So of course, when one buys something it should come along with all the support needed. And I think it always did and will in the future.

If I got the Auralic ARIES streamer I was going to connect the hard drive to it and stream my files in that manner.

I understand. But this is still the "not the best" way to do it. An example of that you'll find in the 2-PC setup where one of them is your fine Audio Playback PC, and like with mentioned Stealth this will load everything into memory, then shuts off the network and starts playing. Mind you, there isn't one spinning thing in there, and also not any SD card etc. connected (that all deteriorates sound). There's just nothing - only the processor processing your audio, outputting that to your D/A converter.
That disconnected network is all transparent to you, as when it is needed (like when you like to select a new album) it is re-connected and when you press play is disconnects again (almost in full because your remote will require some).

Say that this is a whole world of (10 years of) development, SQ always getting better by bits and pieces.
But at some stage this costs money as well.

Anyway let me prepare you for a quite steep learning curve on XXHighEnd. But if you hold on you will see it actually is the most easy. And your hobby might be finding new settings for better SQ ... Happy

Best regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
thankful
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 09:11:07 pm »

Peter,

All of this sounds quite good. 
Is there anyone here in the United States who owns your Stealth gear and is utilizing your XX software I could talk to?  It might help me to discuss this over a phone call.  It might also give me a more clear understanding of how everything integrates.

Thank you for your guidance.   
thankful
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 09:55:22 pm »

Peter,

So I could just get a modified pc only with the XX software for 360 Euros.  Is that correct? If so, this would be the way I could start and still be better that what I am currently using.

I could get the Stealth at a later date when I could afford it.

Thanks
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2017, 08:05:25 am »

So I could just get a modified pc only with the XX software for 360 Euros.

Kevin, basically yes. But notice that this is a HDD for the support of 16GB of internal memory (or SSD for 10 euros more and the support of 32GB of internal memory) which contains pre-installed Operating Systems + XXHighEnd playback software. This HDD goes in the place of your current OS Disk/SSD in your Windows machine.

Thus, this assumes you have the PC and what the disk does is making it suitable for audio, software wise (and that for 4 different OSes which all sound different).

If not clear, ask ahead ...
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2017, 08:12:25 am »

Is there anyone here in the United States who owns your Stealth gear and is utilizing your XX software I could talk to?  It might help me to discuss this over a phone call.

Quite a few, yes. Whether they are ready to talk on the phone I can not tell as I myself (we over here) hardly have a phone number. Haha.

What I will do is point this topic to someone of whom I think he might help you and he should contact you by forum PM and from there you can proceed. Do notice though that my experience tells me that writing it out is more convenient for someone like you, because you can read back and re-read as much as you like, and the answers (like from me) are more throught-over because en-public. Or we can give links, like this one :
Tutorials about the RAM-OS DiskHappy

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
thankful
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2017, 02:18:13 pm »

Thanks Peter.
I am trying to think of a way to get started with your XXHighend software by just using a standard pc or an upgraded pc for music.  Even if I sell my nice speaker cables I can't afford the Stealth at this time. I will have to save up for a while.

Thanks
Kevin

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2017, 03:52:38 pm »

OK Kevin.
You can talk to someone anyway. See your email.

Best regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: