XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 12:00:30 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: AMD Ryzen Threadripper  (Read 5278 times)
Andre
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:51:40 am »

Hi Peter,
can you elaborate on building of an AMD Threadripper sound pc?
A lot of CPU cores for reasonable price...
Will XXHighEnd work with Threadripper or any other Ryzen?
What are your thoughts about this topic?
Thanks in advance!
 Wink
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 12:36:33 pm »

Hi Andre,

There is no reason XXHighEnd will not work with the AMD.

A lot of CPU cores for reasonable price...

True, but against the price of a high TDP (what about 180W).

can you elaborate on building of an AMD Threadripper sound pc?

So assumed you know about our Stealth Mach II PC, I myself will never be able to approve that. I mean, this PC is all passively cooled, runs on a linear power supply again passively cooled and anticipates a 120W (Xeon) processor. These too come with quite some cores like (hyperthreaded) 28. This 28 core is not really comparable anymore because quite expensive, but the 20 core costs less than the Ryzen.

I myself know nothing about the real performance and then mainly how it can be UNDERclocked, which is what we do with that PC (up to 300MHz if you want). And this really is to the benefit of better sound. Anyway, a completely new motherboard (to me) and I really will not be able to tell.
But if someone has a gaming rig with it and a couple of 70dB fans, then he can try it out. swoon.
Please notice that even the gaming is not about processor speed at all and only partly about the GPU (speed and setup). It is about Minimized OS and what that all further implies for way way more (gaming) speed.
But what I wanted to say : now the whole PC consumes less than 30W and I can't tell in advance how that will work out with the Ryzen. If it is too hot (and/or can't be reved down) then it is byebye to the passive cooling and everything. And *that* I regard crucial.

Now I hope this helps you a bit ...
Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Andre
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 04:28:00 pm »

Thanks Peter for your reply.

So the number of cores does affect the sound quality...

By the way I am actually a little bit puzzled about Mach II PC having linear power supply (which is very inefficient by the essence of Linear Power supply) and also having switching secondary power supplies already on the motherboard (unless they are manually removed)  and those secondary power supplies can be very noisy (electrically).
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 12:54:48 pm »

Andre,

So the number of cores does affect the sound quality...

100%.

By the way I am actually a little bit puzzled about Mach II PC having linear power supply (which is very inefficient by the essence of Linear Power supply)

Not ours, because it is only more efficient than an SMPS. That is how I deliberately said "less than 30W for the whole PC" ... and that includes the supply it self (eh, obviously but it may go unnoticed Happy).

and also having switching secondary power supplies already on the motherboard

That takes the assumption that the noise from this would influence sound. Well, maybe, but it is difficult for me to reason how to. So I use the LPS for "backfire" mains reasons. Or think about what the switcher actually does when more power is needed; it is digital behavior (and *now* you are allowed to think noise again, but towards the mains itself).

Anyway, the moral is that all is a consistent whole and you can't leave out one piece of it (see my previous post). So for example : use a higher Wattage CPU and the LPS is not sufficiently powered any more. Make it larger and it will spread too much heat. Now active cooling is necessary. The active cooling consumes as well (1.2 IIRC) and it gets worse again. And ...

So we travelled the other way around, until it started to work. And the base is the software. Nice eh ?

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: