XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:14:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Crack Detect issues using normal Ram OS  (Read 21191 times)
Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2018, 01:31:07 am »

I got so annoyed I had disabled Crack detect, since 12 August post. No problems at all.

Today I noticed you have changed balanced rate and nervous from 18/100 to 35/10.

With 35/10 and Crack detect enabled I have a better sound similar to 18/100 with Crack Detect disabled. Crack detect certainly has a major influence on the sound.

I do wonder that your XXhighend software is probably very stable and unlikely to cause cracks. I have re enabled Crack detect and have yet to experience any problems with it. I recognise that some owners may create a situation that could cause cracks.

I've updated my settings and its all sounding excellent.

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2018, 10:17:01 am »

Robert - Interesting ...

I would say that the Crack Detect setting is unable to influence sound (quality), but if I read what you just wrote ... : scratching

The Balanced Load at 18 is a "tricked" one. All under 43 is. Maybe you recall that ever back under 43 was not allowed because it did nothing. Until that changed and I recall it was about Windows 10 or some Build of it. It allows the processor to be tuned all the way to about 0Hz frequency BUT one has to check what happens for reality responses, because it can be too slow. For example, 430Hz is still workable, but one step lower (which goes by several steps in the Balanced Load because one step does nothing) that ending up at 300Hz and the PC becomes unresponsive and what I recall ... erroneous.
Point is also that this depends on the processor.

The combination with the Nervous Rate is almost even more interesting (for your description) because it tells how fast the processor adapts to a "more speed" request. Thus, if it runs too slow (notice : while it runs at an about fixed speed anyway), the Nervous Rate tells how often to look to adjust the speed. Think in terms of 1ms vs 1000ms (mentioned figures are not absolute) with the idea that 1000ms is equal to "never" (in the terms of this domain) - and which is not meant to let error the system, but to let it behave in steady fashion instead of being "wild" en nervous.
This gets complex when we see that the numerous other tasks in the system (which can be 1000s) also need their "time slice" and while they are being kept out of the door (because the system does not respons fast enough) in the end the OS itself may fail on accomplishing whatever it is.

Summarized, it looks like you, Robert, are able to let the OS error, possibly up to the sense of not being able to process complete audio words and a few bits are chopped off, *because* an other process on the same thread (so to speak) received priority and it has to continue. Example of this in general, is the audio not being allowed to speed down. This can be solved by the system to keep track of the speed but chop off complete samples, while more internally and detail, also bits can be shopped off. Both are as illegal, although the skipping of samples would be acceptbale, as long as it isn't about charachters in a Word document.

I must add that shutting off Crack Detect does not help a thing in avoiding the real cracks (because of incomplete audio words or whatever) BUT that the process of checking for Crack Detect is an additional read of the complete stream (though it goes per chunk). Thus one could say that while the processing of the file for that part takes a certain amount of processor cycles, the checking (Crack Detect) for it to be OK takes maybe 10% more. Apart from that possibly influencing SQ to begin with (all processes do) it also requires 10% more of the processor and that just could underwhelm what's necessary.
So if your processor runs at e.g. 500MHz and just can cope, then this "feature" actually requires 550MHz which isn't available. And together with the Nervous rate at a highest number, also not a little bit and at least too late (the system does not detect that the processor must speed up a little).

This is a lot of hoopla and blahblah, but a means of explaining the situation you ran into.

Regards,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
coliny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2018, 11:09:42 am »

I got Crack Detect occurring recently but discovered my volume was 0dB in XXHE. Went back to my normal -3dB and no more Crack.
0dB with upsampling filters can cause Cracks, I think it was mentioned on the forum a while ago.

Colin

Apr'20 :- XX2.11/W10_14393.0, MachIII RAM-OS, Music PC, RDC control by W10 Netbook, Ram Disks, min OS ,Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / Decode HDCD / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = RT / Scheme = *Core 3-5* / Switch Processors during Playback / ClockRes = 15ms / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 34 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 0 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 1 / Memory = Straight Contiguous / SFS = 10 / Include Garbage Collect / UnAttended /Do Not Start Playback / All Services Off / Monitor off @ unattended / Custom Filter192 Sample Rate /Minidsp SHD Studio with DIRAC / -> 24 bit DDDAC1794 NOS DAC -> Quad ESL989 with upgrades and PV1 Subwoofer
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2018, 01:25:58 pm »

Colin,

Hmm ... that would be a filter anomaly. Not that I am going to solve that instantly, but with which filter does that happen ?
If you don't know for sure any more I rather learn that. Happy

Regards and thanks,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
coliny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 08:20:08 am »

Hi Peter

Its:- Custom Filter 352800 low (NOS)

It happens on peaks in music. Also on 0dB sine test tone, switch your amps off first if you try this.

Not particularly a problem, I posted this in case others are using 0dB & get cracks.

Colin

Apr'20 :- XX2.11/W10_14393.0, MachIII RAM-OS, Music PC, RDC control by W10 Netbook, Ram Disks, min OS ,Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / Decode HDCD / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = RT / Scheme = *Core 3-5* / Switch Processors during Playback / ClockRes = 15ms / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 34 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 0 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 1 / Memory = Straight Contiguous / SFS = 10 / Include Garbage Collect / UnAttended /Do Not Start Playback / All Services Off / Monitor off @ unattended / Custom Filter192 Sample Rate /Minidsp SHD Studio with DIRAC / -> 24 bit DDDAC1794 NOS DAC -> Quad ESL989 with upgrades and PV1 Subwoofer
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 12:20:35 pm »

Thank you, Colin.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: