XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 06:46:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Setting CPU core count with a twist  (Read 8112 times)
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: January 21, 2020, 11:07:36 am »

Peter, All,

I have come across some settings that have a really significant and generally posertive impact on sound quality. Might even be a candidate to look into / exploit in 2.11.

It relates to varing the number of active CPUs set in BIOS. Its well documented that the number of CPUs cores set active in BIOS can be used to tune sound, particually the case for 621 chipset montherboards.

The following simple additional step to core setting really supercharges the effect, certainly on a 621 motherboard which is what i'm using here at the moment.

There are two steps:

1) set the BIOS to a desired number of processors cores and tell XX/OS software that this has been done via reboots into XX un-minimised full OS mode. Nothing new at all in this step.

2) now add a futher processor core in BIOS setting but do NOT tell XX/OS sofware that this extra processor has been added by NOT doing the reboots into full OS mode.

To explain the the setting applied by the steps in a little more detail

Step 1)

Go into BIOS and set a number of active processors. The number of cores you select has to be at least 1 processor core less than the maximum for the CPU. So in my case with a 16 core 6130 cpu, for step 1) I can set the number of CPU cores  anywhere upto 15 for this first step. After setting the cores in BIOS, reboot XX / OS back to XX unminimised level so that the OS / XX recognizes the new number of cores that have been set by the BIOS. Now go back into XX minimised OS ready to play music as normal. All this is just the normal approach to changing the number of cores used be the PC for XX music playback.

Its a good idea to play some music now just to listen to how this sounds before the next step is applied just so that you can appreciate the change the step 2) brings.

Step 2)

This is the extra step. Now go back into BIOS and add one extra core to the number set in step 1). In my case with my 6130 set in step 1 to 15 cores I now set the core count to 16 in bios, save this and reboot. (The key here is just play immediately dont go through the reboots to tell XX and the OS of the change to add this extra core).

Now listen again.

Having applied this, in my system everything tightens up throughout the spectrum, highs are particually improved with real shimmer and sparkle. Speed and dynamics are excellent and the "realness" level of the music takes a nice step forwards. Its not a subtle change.

So far I have tried the setting with 15 cores in step 1) and 1 additional core added by step 2). I won't go into the detail of why but I suspect other combinations such as 10 cores step 1) and 1 core step 2) etc will also produce a similar effect, but as long as its just 1 additional core added in step 2) I think this should work.

It would be interesting to hear what people make of this way of setting cores.

Best regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 02:28:12 pm »

So Nick,

Ready for this ?

This is undoubtedly the same, although I must check your procedure in detail to confirm it. Is in due 2.11 for more than a year now.
I seem to have trouble with finishing off 2.11. unhappy

The ones denoted with * are not really available software wise (XXHighEnd) - also see more below.

My procedure seems to be the other way around, but I think comes net down to the same; set to max in the BIOS and now software-wise shrink the number. As you can see I have a 28, set to 20.
Ultimately I could set the BIOS to e.g. 22, and have an other sound with software setting to 20.

Notice : you can only choose from the ones yo see in the list, because the software does not support other settings. E.g. 22 is not support to really utilize in the software. If you'd attempt that anyway, things may go bananas (like more threads (or less) are being dedicated to the available cores.

Hey, thanks for sharing !
If your procedure appears to be an other one, I suppose I can build that in too. We are used to all the existing parameters by now, right ? haha - We can really use more combinations.
swoon
Best regards,
Peter

* Cores01.png (32.19 KB, 1029x447 - viewed 867 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2020, 02:50:03 pm »

Peter,

I have a big smile here, so funny that we have spotted the same somewhat convoluted, though important, cpu setting :-).

Reading your post I think we are doing the same thing just that I have to use the reboot (6 times :-(  ) to tell XX what how many cores to conifigure. Your software setting looks so much better to use !

I'v been playing with this for a while but didnt want to over complicate the post with other combination settings that have been tried, there are a lot but sometimes it feels like a logic starts to emerge (then disapears... haha hours spent trying this out).

I have a couple of questions, if you don't mind.

Are the numbers in your pick list screen shot above the number of physical cpu cores being set in your XX code or the number of hyperthreaded cores ?

Also you mentioned in your post above that the software just does not support some CPU numbers. Is this also the case in version 2.10c. It would help to know what numbers of cores might behave strangely as somtimes as I have tried out sequences say 10 cpus known to XX then adding cores one by one in BIOS there has been a progressive sound change then a sudden jump. It would be go to know what core numbers might act oddly ?

Final thought is, yes there are lots of settings, but IMHO that is still one of the strengths of XX. Certainly listening here this cpu setting seems to hold real potential and that is just with my basic approach.

I would certainly like to really encorage you to finish 2.11 I know its a huge effort to complete a release and then support it as it goes out but I'm sensing that from a sound quality point of view 2.11 could be a very very rare vintage  Wink

Kind regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Robert
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 12:32:56 am »

Hi Peter, Nick,
                   Well I tried it and it does work. Mind you I only have 4 cores and reduced to 3, rebooted XXhighend in base no min OS.

Just a query I did toggle time performance and time stability. Does this realign/reset cores in Xxhighend?

Anyway I reset cores back to 4 and tried a song in Base, no min OS and yes certainly has a very positive improvement to sound. I agree it has sped things up, no error message at playback start now. Processes work quicker in Xx now. More music.

Bios questions:

Do you sync all cores or set core ratio for individual cores? Mine is set at sync but did not do a comparison.

Also have you tried hyper-threading off? Mine is on.

Some also suggest turn all C states off.

Certainly looking forward to 2.11 keep going Peter.

Robert

Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 12/24 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~997MHz, 48GB, W10, Pro64, Ver 14393, No updates,
XXhighend Ver 2.11a, Ram OS, Settings:Q1/-/3/4/5 = *14*/-/*0*/*0*/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max *10.13*) / Disable Cracks Off / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ UnAttended / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / *OSD Off* / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 62 / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Custom Filtering *Low* (16x)
Music on LAN, Phasure Lush^3 USB cable
Oppo 205 UDP Dac
Nordost Heimdall II interconnects and Nordost Heimdall II Power Cords, Audioquest power cords
Minidsp Flex digital 2 way Crossover 167hz
Unity Audio Boulder MKI Active Monitors x 2
JLAudio 12 Active Subs x 2
coliny
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 07:56:07 am »

Peter, All,

I have come across some settings that have a really significant and generally posertive impact on sound quality. Might even be a candidate to look into / exploit in 2.11.

It relates to varing the number of active CPUs set in BIOS. Its well documented that the number of CPUs cores set active in BIOS can be used to tune sound, particually the case for 621 chipset montherboards.

The following simple additional step to core setting really supercharges the effect, certainly on a 621 motherboard which is what i'm using here at the moment.

There are two steps:

1) set the BIOS to a desired number of processors cores and tell XX/OS software that this has been done via reboots into XX un-minimised full OS mode. Nothing new at all in this step.

2) now add a futher processor core in BIOS setting but do NOT tell XX/OS sofware that this extra processor has been added by NOT doing the reboots into full OS mode.

To explain the the setting applied by the steps in a little more detail

Step 1)

Go into BIOS and set a number of active processors. The number of cores you select has to be at least 1 processor core less than the maximum for the CPU. So in my case with a 16 core 6130 cpu, for step 1) I can set the number of CPU cores  anywhere upto 15 for this first step. After setting the cores in BIOS, reboot XX / OS back to XX unminimised level so that the OS / XX recognizes the new number of cores that have been set by the BIOS. Now go back into XX minimised OS ready to play music as normal. All this is just the normal approach to changing the number of cores used be the PC for XX music playback.

Its a good idea to play some music now just to listen to how this sounds before the next step is applied just so that you can appreciate the change the step 2) brings.

Step 2)

This is the extra step. Now go back into BIOS and add one extra core to the number set in step 1). In my case with my 6130 set in step 1 to 15 cores I now set the core count to 16 in bios, save this and reboot. (The key here is just play immediately dont go through the reboots to tell XX and the OS of the change to add this extra core).

Now listen again.

Having applied this, in my system everything tightens up throughout the spectrum, highs are particually improved with real shimmer and sparkle. Speed and dynamics are excellent and the "realness" level of the music takes a nice step forwards. Its not a subtle change.

So far I have tried the setting with 15 cores in step 1) and 1 additional core added by step 2). I won't go into the detail of why but I suspect other combinations such as 10 cores step 1) and 1 core step 2) etc will also produce a similar effect, but as long as its just 1 additional core added in step 2) I think this should work.

It would be interesting to hear what people make of this way of setting cores.

Best regards,

Nick.

Curious as to what is happening here, after step 2 Windows sees all the cores again so nothing different as far as Windows is concerned (Windows always boots to what is set in bios). Maybe XX 2.10 runs differently I don't know.

Anyway my test will be to Unminimize OS & minimize it again without changing bios and hear if sound quality changes/gets worst.

Regards
Colin

Apr'20 :- XX2.11/W10_14393.0, MachIII RAM-OS, Music PC, RDC control by W10 Netbook, Ram Disks, min OS ,Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / Decode HDCD / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = RT / Scheme = *Core 3-5* / Switch Processors during Playback / ClockRes = 15ms / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 34 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = 0 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 30/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 1 / Memory = Straight Contiguous / SFS = 10 / Include Garbage Collect / UnAttended /Do Not Start Playback / All Services Off / Monitor off @ unattended / Custom Filter192 Sample Rate /Minidsp SHD Studio with DIRAC / -> 24 bit DDDAC1794 NOS DAC -> Quad ESL989 with upgrades and PV1 Subwoofer
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:40:21 pm »

Hi  Colin,

I agree windows should boot and configure to what is in BIOS provided but a few things might prevent this and I did not know these things might be done when I outlined step 2.

Provided that Peter is not; intentionally setting the Windows processor count (see the windows BOOT menu dialogue) , or has not done something in his minimise script that stops windows reconfiguring to a new BIOS processor count, and the windows BOOT menu number of CPUs parameter remains set to ALL then I agree Windows will use all of the processors set in BIOS.

I don't know if any of the above is being done, so I was just being cautious in the description of step 2.

Best regards,

Nick.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2020, 02:07:58 pm »

Are the numbers in your pick list screen shot above the number of physical cpu cores being set in your XX code or the number of hyperthreaded cores ?

Also you mentioned in your post above that the software just does not support some CPU numbers. Is this also the case in version 2.10c.

Nick, disregarding your last post for now (I still must wrap my head around what you exactly do), the numbers I show are usable cores, thus Hyperthreaded if set to that (which in my example / case is so (Hyperthreaded On).

The numbers with the Asterisks could be set in the BIOS, but are NOT respected by XXHighEnd, and thus should *not* be set.
N.b.: The due 2.11 will not allow to select the not-recognized numbers (see again the Asterisks).

Best regards,
Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 07:55:27 pm »

.....the numbers I show are usable cores, thus Hyperthreaded if set to that (which in my example / case is so (Hyperthreaded On).

The numbers with the Asterisks could be set in the BIOS, but are NOT respected by XXHighEnd, and thus should *not* be set.
N.b.: The due 2.11 will not allow to select the not-recognized numbers (see again the Asterisks).

Thanks Peter, this is just the info I hoped for, very helpful to know which cpu settings to avoid.

I have tried a quite number of combinations. They give a big change in sound quality and does seem to be some logic in terms of how sound is changed by the number of 'extra' cores used. 2/4 extra cores seems to be best in many cases.

Favourite setting for my 6130 CPU (with 16/32 cores) is BIOS set to 14/28 cores for XX minimization and then BIOS set to 16/32 for playing music. This gives a really clear lively and very musical sound.

Kind regards,

Nick.   

Note core counts above are written as the "physical / hyperthreaded" number.

Audio PC

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 09:02:48 am »

Yes, strangely enough I came to the same conclusion. 2 or 4 cores not being active sounds the best;
Our nomenclature may be not the same, but for a 14/28 core, setting it to 10/20 sounds the best.

For others and for now : In the (ever) due 2.11, you can just set this number and reboot. Don't like it ? change the setting and reboot again. That is really all.

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: