XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:33:40 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Check your Firewire connection !  (Read 18118 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: June 09, 2007, 03:04:32 pm »

Sadly, I can now confirm that even the Firewire conenction can make a huge difference ...
I mean "sadly", because before I thought this was a consistent thing for playback quality. It now appears that it just is not.

Sidenote : no matter what, I can measure bitperfect playback in either case, so it can be about jitter only (or some high grade phenomenon and the lack of intelligence to recognize it).

So here goes :

The first time I noticed "a" difference, was when my Firewire PCI interface (of 10 years old btw) seemed at its end of life, because more and more I had to switch the cable from the one to the other connection on it, in order to let my Fireface recognize the proper connection. Note that I'm on a 10m Firewire cable here (the Firewire is externally powered), and for that matter things will be at the critical level anyway. So :

So at one time I couldn't either connection going anymore (while before the "rest" of a connection helped dntknw), I moved the PCI 6 months old Firewire interface card from my Vista machine (which machine was temporarily out of order anyway).
The most strange things happened with this : some -which I call "Crazy" again- channel separation seemed to appear suddenly. Huh ?
 grazy

This was so much occurring (wrong, *happening*) that from now on I could listen to rather perfect "stereo" information at listening at the couch right in front of one of the Orphean horns (at watching movies with the family), and therewith some 60 degrees out of line with the other one. Mind you, at this angle there is no way to see even a part of the throad, while looking right into the one of the first mentioned.

Another sidenote : you most probably recall a.o. my words all over the place about such and so good playback whatever. Wrong ...
Wrong again (how many times is this supposed to happen in the future ? heat)

Where this was the first occasion, here came the second :
My Vista PC was out of order, because it was awaitening a new motherboard. Of course I got one with on board Firewire. Convenient.
Well, got it up and running, and although Vista sounds different than XP anyways, it did not sound good anywmore at all. Not this day, not the other day, no day.
Note that I'm always listening to one situation for many days, in order to be sure it's not the mood, the booze, or whatever may influence which shouldn't.
But then I gave up on it.

Now, on this mobo are two Firewire connections : one directly connected to the mobo at the back, and one somewhere in the middle of the board, leading to the back with a cable.
Problem gone !
So that was the third indication.

Btw, the Vista machine is close to the equipment, and uses a 1m or so Firewire cable.

As always at expecting things which may differ or seem to be different, I told this to Bert. Well, that's a difficult one, because now we are in the area of subjective matters, and no way of measuring, knowing the logic or what else to check it remotely.

But as I just heard from Bert, he can, say, copy my behaviour.

Well Bert, what's your advise on this ?
Currently I can't do better than : checkout a few situations, and at least buy a (cheap ?) PCI card. The differences are enormeous, but they are hard to qualify. Channel separation would be one of them, a bit depending on Bert's findings. The other seems to be tiny sound. Less full.

Apart from the fact that I can't explain these huge differences, I think it is a sad thing that it is so by itself.
Otoh I achieved an improvement once more.

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Slayinpocket
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2008, 03:34:19 am »

I have had the same issue's with either my usb or firewire connections. In my main pc I have tried several firewire pci cards of wich the ones with VIA chipsets where the worst sounding, best was (is) the one with Texas Instruments chipset but these seem hard to find these days. For years the TI chipsets where about the standard in firewire interfaces but nowadays many cards are very cheaply produced and they almost all use VIA chipsets. Another good one was the one with Ageere chipset, about as good as the TI. Any good local dealer can tell you what chipset the cards are using, if they can't just go to another store with more qualified salesmen.

With USB I have only experienced a huge diference between my laptop usb and my desktop usb. The desktop sounds much better, in fact the laptop sound quite horrible via usb despite being it a far more modern computer than the desktop is. I really don't know why this is. Maybe it a more stable power supply, maybe only the usb chipset, maybe because my desktop desn't do any speedstepping, has no dualcore etc etc, could be anything. Anyways, I'm looking for a replacement for my desktop since it's a bit at the end of it's life but I have no lue what to buy anymore, sound quality wise that is
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2008, 12:32:46 pm »

Peter,
Both connections were firewire 800?

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2008, 01:21:51 pm »

No. 400 in all cases.

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2008, 12:05:41 am »

No. 400 in all cases.

Uhm... and why did you get the FF 800 instead of the much cheaper FF400? Did you try both?
I thought one of the benefits of the ff800 was the wider bus.

I have this doubt, on my temporary music pc I have 2 onboard firewire 400 ports. I could get a pci (pci-x actually) Granite firewire 800 controller with TI chipset (i checked).

TBH I think I'll go with the FF400, and maybe use a master clock like the Big Ben.
*confused*

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2008, 02:50:29 am »

When I bought the FF800 back in 2005, the FF400 didn't exist. prankster
But I think I still would go for the FF800 because of its versitility. It's just a very nice toy for connecting everything you'd ever want. A bit pricey though for using it as an SPDIF passthrough only ... Shocked

I could get a pci (pci-x actually)

Careful then, because PCI-X is a double-long slot rarely seen on mobo's (in fact it's kind of old-fasioned).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 04:06:52 pm »

When I bought the FF800 back in 2005, the FF400 didn't exist. prankster
But I think I still would go for the FF800 because of its versitility. It's just a very nice toy for connecting everything you'd ever want. A bit pricey though for using it as an SPDIF passthrough only ... Shocked

I could get a pci (pci-x actually)

Careful then, because PCI-X is a double-long slot rarely seen on mobo's (in fact it's kind of old-fasioned).

My old xeon computer has pci-x slots, which require pin compatibility to use pci-32 boards.
But I think i'll go with the onboard firewire 400 and the FF400. In the worst case I need to upgrade the soundcard of this pc, because I use it mainly for music when I'm in the studio.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:

Hardware:
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 01:55:49 pm »

I think I have realized the main cause of difference in SQ between the FF400 and the FF800: the first is bus-powered and the latter is not.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:

Hardware:
Chris V
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 02:12:17 pm »

I think I have realized the main cause of difference in SQ between the FF400 and the FF800: the first is bus-powered and the latter is not.

If you mean it gets its power from the computer, mine doesn't. I use a Firewire connection and the FF400 plugs in the mains with its own transformer. good

Music on external hard drive with own power supply. Brains of the system is a Raspberry Pi running Moode Audio. The RPI has dedicated Longdog audio linear power supply.
Signal passes first to SW1X Signature USB to SPDIF  converter
Then to SW1X Signature DAC
Then to Stevens and Billington TVC
Then to modified vintage triode amplifier
Then to open baffle speakers with vintage alnico drivers. Grundig tweeter, Saba Greencone midrange, Altec 416 VOTT base.
Everything is silver wired including mains and speaker cables
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 07:32:53 pm »

If you mean it gets its power from the computer, mine doesn't. I use a Firewire connection and the FF400 plugs in the mains with its own transformer. good

Chris, there is a switch at the back of the FireFace400 where you can select where the power has to come from but USB bus power doesn't work on a laptop...

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 08:09:37 pm »

Aaah, I was assuming since on their website they say "bus powered" it was ONLY bus powered.

I have to wait and find a good deal on it, I do not feel playing full price Wink

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:

Hardware:
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2008, 04:34:22 am »

Heya Peter,

Are you still using 1 meter of FW cable to the Fireface800?

I just ordered 1m of 9pin to 9 pin from this nice looking cable
http://www.unibrain.com/products/p1394/cables_b.htm
Have you ever seen if there is a difference between the 400 connection or the 800?  Out of curiosity, which are you using?

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2008, 07:15:10 am »

Yes, still using the (el cheapo) 1m. 400. Never tried the 800.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: