XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 09:58:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie questions.  (Read 20198 times)
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: November 25, 2008, 06:24:47 am »

Hi Peter

After my first attempt at a music server fell short of being able to use XXHighend (too little RAM capability). Sad I have gone for version 2, which is an Aopen mini 965-D. I have an Intel Core Duo T2700 2.33 Ghz processor (676Mhz) with 4Gb of RAM (2 bays 2GB each). I also have to get the firewire cases for my external hard drives, as I originally bought USB cases. BTW, I am using a very small 8 inch touch screen LCD monitor. This little system will set on the coffee table in front of my listening position. I assume this is now enough to take advantage of XXHighend, am I correct? I also have built Doede Douma's DDDAC 1543 Mk2 NOS DAC. The DAC will be connected to the computer via an Opticis laser USB extender. This will run a DIY tube system, with 99db efficient speakers.

Which version of Vista should I buy for the best sound (home basic, professional, or what)? Since this is a dedicated music server, sound quality is the only issue. I do hope you are patient with me, although I can design and build a mean tube amp, I know VERY little about software. Also, which version of XXHighend should I use?   scratching

Finally, do you think a person that has good Internet skills and a good understanding of XP, but knows nothing of programming, can utilize XXHighend successfully, and do you think the computer equipment is enough to fully utilize XXHighend? I know, a lot of simple questions, but I want to avoid any more silly mistakes on my part. I'm looking forward to finally having a working music server!  smile

twystd 

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:06:32 pm »

Well, first of all I am kind of specifically around to help out *anyone*, but this is not always an easy task and may require patience on "your" side. Also, while XXHighEnd started to be as simple as possible for everyone, it turned out into something which is now more complex than I want, but, for the good cause of better sound quality.
Anyway, don't be afraid to ask and don't dare to feel stupid about it !

Having said this, I don't see much wrong with your current setup, including the firewire connections to the hdds (instead of USB).
I don't know about that USB extender, and generally (!) devices like that do not make sound better.
Btw, you do know that USB length can be 10 meters easily ? as long as the DAC is not powered by it. And if so, you could provide your own power means.
Btw, what is the reason to use the extender anyway ? I suppose your PC is located near the audio equipment, and the 8" monitor is fed with the longer cable ? (can be 15 meters easily with the proper cable, and the USB connection you might need (touch) for that can be extended in many ways, as you will know).

The version of Vista doesn't matter, but if it does I didn't hear it from anyone in here.
One thing might come handy (sometime later) : Only business and ultimate allow for RDC (Remote Desktop Connection), meaning that you could have a small laptop on the coffee table with wifi connection to the main PC, and control everything (this connection is not audio related).
(I think I told this in an earlier post, twystd related).

Finally, do you think a person that has good Internet skills and a good understanding of XP, but knows nothing of programming, can utilize XXHighend successfully, and do you think the computer equipment is enough to fully utilize XXHighend?

Today I say yes, but tomorrow that may change. Many things are going on, and we keep on learning.
It works the other way around as well : requirements get less, like the memory which is allowed to be lower since the last version (0.9w-3).

Currently I advise to use 0.9v-7 which sounds better than above mentioned version. But I'm working on that.

Anything else ? ask away.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:01:36 pm »

Thanks for the reply Peter. The reason for the extender is to electrically isolate the DAC (powered by a filtered regulated battery power supply) from the switching power supply noise from the computer. The USB extender is powered by a switching power supply, but I am replacing that with a filtered regulated battery supply. The laser extender (optical cable), connects my computer, which is on the coffee table, to the DAC, which is a short distance away (3 meters) on my audio equipment rack. Do you think this is a good application, now that you know how I intend on using it?

Right now, I'm not too interested in the Remote Desktop Connection feature, as I built my system very small. It will be right in front of my listening position, within arms reach. I decided to go small for convenience, and for portability as well. The portability issue is so that I can put the music server, monitor, and associated drives all in a tiny rack and put a handle on it, so I can transport it to friends houses, and local audio meets for demonstration purposes. The RDC feature might be nice in a future version, I just have to decide if the flexibility is worth the added cost.

It's going to take a couple of weeks to get the whole thing finished and some music ripped (PlexTools), then get ready, as I'm sure I'll have a few questions!8^)

twystd

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 05:43:36 pm »

Do you think this is a good application, now that you know how I intend on using it?

No ... Happy
But for net result it is another thing of course. So net you may be better off now. Optimal is another thing. Otoh it is a kind of given fact for your setup (hence the DAC).
Just carefully listen to the pros and cons of each situation (with / without the extender).

It is all not *that* easy of course ! prankster

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2008, 03:05:33 am »

I tried an optical usb extender with a battery supply when I was using the usb of my dac... It was noticeably worse than the generic 6 foot cable I had.  USB, at least for my dac, was noticeably worse than spdif, which I now use.  I don't recommend usb anymore,,, don't know about the latest "asynchronous" that wavelength uses,,, maybe ok?

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 07:49:22 am »

One thing might come handy (sometime later) : Only business and ultimate allow for RDC (Remote Desktop Connection), meaning that you could have a small laptop on the coffee table with wifi connection to the main PC, and control everything (this connection is not audio related).

Thanks for the reminder Peter.

I've been using RealVNC for ages now to control my laptop from my study PC ( and vica versa ) and it never occurred to me to use the laptop to control my music server with it. DOH !

I loaded up the RealVNC Server ( Enterprise version ) on the music server, made the appropriate configurations, and connected to it from my laptop sitting on .. err .. my lap ... while sitting on my recliner. No more neckstrain trying to look at the music servers monitor off to one side in the distance .. excellent !!

Screen updates on the laptop were fine .. essentially real time. As I use scheme 1 for my processors balance any addition CPU loads were handled by the CPU not running Engine#3. There doesn't appear to be any perceivable degradation in SQ.

Next step I guess is to see if one of those little EEEPC's might do the job.

I'm a happy chappy  very happy

Cheers,

Russ

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 08:32:10 pm »

I tried an optical usb extender with a battery supply when I was using the usb of my dac... It was noticeably worse than the generic 6 foot cable I had.  USB, at least for my dac, was noticeably worse than spdif, which I now use.  I don't recommend usb anymore,,, don't know about the latest "asynchronous" that wavelength uses,,, maybe ok?

Hmmm... Don't know a lot about this, but I think my DDDAC 1543 is asynchronous. It uses a I2S bus and re-clocks with a Tent Labs clock. Any comments?

twystd
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 08:42:11 pm »

Hmmm... Don't know a lot about this, but I think my DDDAC 1543 is asynchronous. It uses a I2S bus and re-clocks with a Tent Labs clock. Any comments?

twystd

I've heard I2S is a good direct link.  As for usb, I found when using it that different ports on my laptop didn't sound the same and there was one that was better than the others... so try all your ports.  I read and was going to try a usb add on card, someone felt this was better... maybe? gl

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2008, 01:13:03 am »

Does it matter sound wise if I use a ATA150 or ATA300 internal hard drive (both 5400rpm), they both have the same 8MB buffer. My computers controller is ATA300, but I have the ATA150 drive already, will the faster drive effect the sound? I don't mind spending another $60.00 if it will sound better.

I'm planning on running the operating system, and the XXHighEnd on the internal hard drive, all music on the external drives through Firewire, and a Bluetooth keyboard. The only things on the USB bus are the DAC, and the Plextor CD reader. Obviously the CD reader and the DAC won't be going at the same time, so that leaves the DAC on a "dedicated" USB bus. Do I have this correct?

twystd     
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2008, 05:00:51 am »

Hi twystd,

I'd say the 150 and 300 connection just can't matter to sound. Not that I have heard of and not that I can ever imagine how.

Be careful with the bluetooth keyboard, because again that is an ever "sending/receiving" thing full of interrupts. I would not do that, unless it was proven to be harmless (and not the other way around). This counts for every similar thing like infrared and wifi. E.g. I have wifi, but the access point certainly isn't connected to the audio PC (nor does that have a wifi connection itself).

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 08:44:26 am »

Hi twystd,

Be careful with the bluetooth keyboard, because again that is an ever "sending/receiving" thing full of interrupts. I would not do that, unless it was proven to be harmless (and not the other way around). This counts for every similar thing like infrared and wifi. E.g. I have wifi, but the access point certainly isn't connected to the audio PC (nor does that have a wifi connection itself).

Peter

I thought that by going with an internal bluetooth card, that it would get one more device (keyboard and track ball) off the USB bus. If I understand you correctly that the bluetooth sends and receives even though I'm not typing or moving the track ball, and that this send/receive is interrupting the processor? So you would recommend a standard USB keyboard then? Its amazing how much I have to learn about this PC music server thing! Shocked

twystd
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 09:03:05 am »

Mwah ... I am not sure bluetooth is sending/receiving without doing anything (but I think it does like wifi), but in the end it is not only about that. It is about that you sure want to move your trackball and type a key here and there, and then this stuff usually has priority over everything (which is kind of logic) and then the sound breaks ... (ticks and stuff).
On the matter of this latter you can easily try it. The "polling" thing can be checked for, although this is not easy for the unexperienced (for bluetooth I wouldn't know how to do it either, currently). This won't break sound, but may (!) degrade it.

Stupid computers.
But luckily we are so far with it, that it sounds way better than the CDPlayer !

Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2008, 09:39:42 am »

This won't break sound, but may (!) degrade it.

Stupid computers.
But luckily we are so far with it, that it sounds way better than the CDPlayer !

Peter

Okay Peter I don't want to take any chances, so USB cabled keyboard it is. Don't mean to drive you nuts wacko, but which version of Vista should I get 64 bit or 32 bit? I'm thinking 32 bit because I've heard there is a driver availability issue with 64bit, and the DDDAC1543 MKII is kind of an old design.

twystd
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2008, 11:48:06 am »

The only thing 64 bit will bring more is supported memory, which ... you can't utilize anyway (2GB max can be used by XX). Also, by now (version 0.9w-3) it is not necessary anymore.
I think, though, your DDDAC will just work on any legacy USB driver, including the one within 64 bit Vista.

I hope I am a bit clear ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2008, 04:27:56 pm »

Peter

All the pieces for the music server will be here in about a week, but I've looked around and don't see where to pay for and download the XXHighEnd player. Lord knows you've more than earned it in my case. smile

twystd
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2008, 05:56:09 pm »

Uhmm ... But I assume that you downloaded XXHighEnd earlier ??

Anyway, you can do that on the "Download Area and Release Notes" board. For the latest version this would be : http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=623.0 and the zip to download is always at the very bottom of such a topic.

In XXHighEnd itself there's an Undemo tab, and in there is a PayPal button. That should do it !
You will receive an email instantly (but finish the few forms that come by after pressing the PayPal button), and that email contains the Activation Code that can be stuffed in the field under the PayPal button.

If you have any problems during the process, please let me know !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: