XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:22:52 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9-y3 Laidback now ?  (Read 40473 times)
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2009, 11:26:59 pm »

Peter,

Did you do some listening yourself.

PLEASE DO

All the action is gone, sorry

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 01:19:29 am »

Another dawn ... another delightful day of testing Happy

With a clear and fresh mind, I have just finished another session of comparisons between 0.9y-2a and 0.9y-3 and my conclusions are still the same as last night .. that 0.9y-3 lacked that little sparkle and clarity I have been enjoying of late.

Picking up on the recent post by Peter that it's the Engine that does the SQ work ( something that we perhaps tend to overlook or forget with all these changes of versions ), I created another test folder and plonked 0.9y-3 into it, then COPIED Engine#3 from 0.9y-2(a) into it, then queued up my two standard test pieces of music ... and pressed PLAY.

Well wadda ya know .... the life had returned !

I recall in the past overriding the GUI with updated versions, but can't remember playing LEGO with the engines themselves.

Not sure of the consequences of this action in the wider scheme and whether there is some tight relationship between the engine and GUI within each release, but it's opened my ears to an alternative approach to testing. Hopefully this technique doesn't open up a can of worms .. Peter has enough hair pulling at the moment keeping track of changes across versions without the further complication of us creating hybrids.

Food for thought hopefully Happy

Cheers,

Russ

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2009, 01:49:03 am »

Thanks Russ, the blanket has gone!

So I guess I have to find new settings for the Q's, any more clues?

Was this a difference between X and Y or because I did some upgrades?
Because with X I likes my settings...

Hi Gerard(A),

good to read you had some success.

My Q settings were arrived at by simply playing a couple of test tracks that are very plain in composition, but contain instruments that are readily discerned. I think it helps to keep things simple initially and tweak until you think the instruments are as close to real life as possible. My two main test pieces contain triangles, cowbells, castinets and a guitar mainly, which are articles that should be remembered reasonably well.

I also think you need to give a set of parameters time to 'invade' the subconscious over a period of time. After a number of hours you should know whether it's for the better or not, and I don't think Mr Placebo has any influence here as there is no right or wrong settings , but simply those that give you the closest feeling to reality in your environment and using your own equipment.

As a general rule I've noticed, as have some others, that the lower the Q1 parameter is set, the more precise and distinct an instrument appears to become but may be perceived as too clinical for some ears. Your DAC also needs to run comfortably at these low settings and the lower the buffer size the better ( usually ).

Happy tweaking Happy

Russ

Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2009, 03:13:14 am »

Not sure of the consequences of this action in the wider scheme and whether there is some tight relationship between the engine and GUI within each release, but it's opened my ears to an alternative approach to testing. Hopefully this technique doesn't open up a can of worms .. Peter has enough hair pulling at the moment keeping track of changes across versions without the further complication of us creating hybrids.

It's just occurred to me that Engine#3 changes between 0.9y-2(a) and 0.9y-3 would likely incorporate some memory manipulation recoding to cure some bugs we've noticed.

Peter, I assume you keep notation within your source code to keep track of alterations, are you able to cast light on what you might have changed to cause the effect we ( I ) am hearing between engines? I'm convinced I'm not imagining things now that i've been playing my 'hybrid' for a couple of hours now.

Ta,

Russ

====================
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2009, 03:25:41 am »

Well I think it's pretty surprising that Russ and I tend to agree on settings and also on what we're hearing with these version, (and actually other versions too; must have similar tastes/systems?).  Since this morning, after reading Peter's post, I've been running both y-3 and a hybrid of y-3/engine y-2a ... my ears/system prefer the hybrid.  I've kept Q settings the same for both versions... so maybe need to start optimizing y-3 changing Qs/changing phase to see if that's what's needed.

When throwing in y-2a engine into y-3 though I lose the setting that allows me to increase/decrease memory to speed up libraries... I thought just changing the engine would only affect the sound, not the player layout.  In y-3 I have that setting at 700 ... could increasing the memory usage to speed up library upset the SQ? ... that wouldn't be worth it.
dave

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2009, 03:33:45 am »

I went completly back to previous version,
not the hybrid.

Think maybe, the cache is screwing up SQ.

This is BOLD to say, and I'am not sure

Its late now here and can't play loud music, so???

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2009, 03:56:03 am »

So ... It is as late here, and of course I tried to trick you with a hint of not to. But it didn't help and didn't work.

Something is at play here which is not consistent to my thus far thinking. At this moment I only can say this test was not without a reason, and I want to thank those who tried it; I know or feel what this is about, but now I must think ...

sleeping

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2009, 04:32:09 am »

You never ever satisfied guys Happy might try to use XXHighEnd.exe from 0.9y-2a on the 0.9y-3 version of XXEngine3. So :

Stuff the latest XXEngine3.exe (from 0.9y-3) over your old 0.9y-2a folder, use Unattended and let me know what happens.

We all know it really is XXEngine3 producing the sound. Right ?
Now, let's see ...

Wait, I did the reverse of this.  I stuffed y2a engine [Edit not engine i used xxhighend.exe ... whatanidiot]into the y-3 version... hmmm.  I'll try stuffing y-3 engine into y-2a folder tonight doh.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:53:13 pm by SeVeReD » Logged

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2009, 04:35:16 am »

I created another test folder and plonked 0.9y-3 into it, then COPIED Engine#3 from 0.9y-2(a) into it, then queued up my two standard test pieces of music ... and pressed PLAY.

Cheers,

Russ

Hmm looks like Russ did the same thing as me.  Russ... we did the 'opposite' of what peter asked.  Try plopping y-3 .exe into a y-2a folder next.

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2009, 05:04:10 am »

Yep, you are right.

Stupido, Wink

I already went back to 0.9y-2, so now copied 0.9y-3  Engine#3 into it. also.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 06:17:49 am »

I created another test folder and plonked 0.9y-3 into it, then COPIED Engine#3 from 0.9y-2(a) into it, then queued up my two standard test pieces of music ... and pressed PLAY.

Cheers,

Russ

Hmm looks like Russ did the same thing as me.  Russ... we did the 'opposite' of what peter asked.  Try plopping y-3 .exe into a y-2a folder next.

The contents of zips for 0.9y-2 ( with 2a exe added shortly after ) and 0.9y-3 appear to be identical apart from the actual GUI ( XXHighEnd.exe ) and the engine#3, so it should not matter which way the files are flipped .. you will end up with the same result. I double checked that before I created the hybrid.

The more I listen to the earlier engine, the more I enjoy it and would be happy to call it a day at that. It really is fabulous here. Of course it still has the glitches of not starting always and occassionally stopping mid stream, but when it gets going ... damn .. it's just great Happy

I'm experimenting with some changes to my scheme's and priorities to see if I can get it a little more reliable is starting and continued running.

Cheers,

Russ

====================
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 06:29:36 am »

OK ... further thoughts here ... I was trying to get the best of both worlds ... updated interface combined with what I believe to be the best engine so far, which is in fact different to what Peter suggested, which was going back to the 'broken' interface ( B.B. King issues etc ), and using the latest engine.

I'll try that shortly. Sorry for confusion!

Cheers,

Russ

====================
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 08:21:48 am »

EDITIT**idiot alert... been doing it all wrong here**I wouldn't bother reading through this and trying to make sense of it
"oh what a convoluted web we weave"
edit first off, with 9y2a with y-3 engine when I double click on an album in library/gallery I get an error saying 'object is in use elsewhere....'
but then, after clicking ok, it loads in playlist and I can play it. (edit ... well this looks to have 'worked' itself out... MAGIC)

I've been going back and forth between only these two frankensteins... I should have brought back in just regular y-3,,, but I haven't and now I'm wondering if it really sounds like 9y2a with y-3 engine... I'm betting it doesn't because now I'm kinda ok with 9y2a with y-3 engine.  I think I need more time listening.  It hasn't been easy tonight because of the heat & humidity which in Southern California we're not used to and that atmosphere changes the system sound anyway.
Anyway
y-3 with 9y2a engine:  I'm still leaning toward this a bit more.  Bass seems more plucky and better defined.  Highs more open and forward, better decay.  Images more focussed.  Better sense of the right phase for the settings I'm using, (I have not changed setting from what is in my sig).  more dynamic

9y2a with y-3 engine:  This sounds good too.  Without comparison I might not be obsessing.  Sometimes I think vocals are better and fuller, natural... instruments not as focused but blending together into a whole that isn't unnatural.  cymbal highs a bit subdued... not as 'even' sounding as other version... but could be phase stuff I should try to optimize. or could be I need more time listening and tired now.

I'll leave this here and come back and edit later, so look for that.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 06:55:39 pm by SeVeReD » Logged

Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2009, 10:35:33 am »

Well the footy coverage on TV has finished for the afternoon so it's back to testing Happy

As Peter suggested, I replicated my 0.9y-2(a) folder and replaced the Engine#3 from the one out of 0.9y-3, and did some more A/Bing.

My conclusion .... it's the engine itself which is making the discernable difference in SQ. The GUI is simply a means to an end, and if it is having any influence, then it is minor at best and I can't pick any differences between them.

So for now, I will continue with my initial hybrid which consisted of the bug reduced GUI from 0.9y-3 combined with the Engine#3 from 0.9y-2(a).

Not sure where to progress from here. It's probably got Peter scratching his head though .. LOL

Cheers all,

Russ

====================
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: September 06, 2009, 03:02:51 pm »

Thank you all for trying, and please note that I am unaware of any changes, *except* for those who made it "worst" in the first place. "Worst", however, was just better to some, and this by itself is hard to judge for the real merits. Remember, this was caused by wrong memory useage, BUT, this by itself was -so to say- controlled by XXHighEnd.exe.

Sorry about the confusement on what to put where, which was caused by my way of implying what was going on, followed by what to put where, which seemed the other way around. It made you judge better, hopefully.

What it comes down to, is that with your using XXEngine3 with the old XXHighEnd, you prooved that ... it indeed is XXHighEnd doing it. And not the other way around as what seemed logical to you. Why ? well, because XXEngine3 just doesn't contain any changes ! swoon

But there is a small chance it is XXEngine3 doing it afterall, which is related to a change I overlooked at first. Thus, there *is* a change, and it really could do it; I increased the size of an array which seemed better to me for "these days", and although I would not say that this should influence sound, it can in theory.

I just removed that change (which is a change applied to 0.9y-2), so for that matter it is back to 0.9y-1d. It is in the below 09.y-3a version of XXEngine3. You should paste that over your 0.9y-3 folder.
Note that you can only see which is which by the size, and this 0.9y-3a is a little larger.

Btw, do not forget to set your Split File back to how it was before the versions producing Out of Memory errors !

For those who think the Thumbnail Cache make a difference, set that to 0.

Pray ...

* XXEngine3-09-y3a.zip (67.69 KB - downloaded 498 times.)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: