XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 09:42:28 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9y-4 - w00t  (Read 141703 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 01:53:48 pm »

Wow P, nice sound with the new ARC pred.

Reminds me of the old days when a couple of XX versions where upsampling was better than vanilla.

Bass, macrodynamics etc. are very good in this version. Ambience is very nice.

Overall one of the best versions over the last year, P. Extra nice IMO because, frankly, I have been a little disappointed over the last versions and had started looking at other players as I felt we were on a wrong track SQ wize lately. Safe to say I've been hauled back in...

Yea, I know. Now try to imagine how tough this all is while bit perfect = bit perfect and everything can only workout the most indirectly, and hopefully the same for everyone !.

Btw., sounds like ARC isnt delivering when running in attended mode so un-attended is req. for getting the full new sound IMO. Sounds like its only doubling in attended, not upsampling.

Therefore, I have startet to run all in un-attended!  Cool

Please, hope further versions will uphold the same SQ or I for one will revert to this version, it's that good.

Well, the least I should do, is just stay out of that sound creating program. It may help ! Happy
Anyway, I guess you just proved how important Unattended is, because like Mani said, it definitely is active at Attended too. In general though, it is so that the "better" (or more detailed) everything is in Native XXEngine3 (= Unattended) the bigger the difference is with Attended (= XXHighEnd active) is.
So I assume you now know once and for all ! Cool
haha

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Fidelio
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »

Now that I've had the chance to play all little with Arc Prediction, I'm not that sure I am all that convinced.

Some records, especially orchestral pieces, sound more neuanced, detailed and clear with less congestion with Quad/AP. However, all other music suffer from Quad/AP in that it ruins the timing and groove. Especially rock suffers I think. Double/AP is better than Quad/AP, but vanilla 24/44.1 rocks much more on my system.

AP makes me wanna change song whereas no AP makes me wanna dance.

Mind you, this is on my system, the whole computer sourced playback-thing is so tentative that I'm sure a different system will produce different results. Love y-4 tho, 14/20/20/0/0 with scheme 3 and 24/44.1 sounds jolly good, with tons of toe-tapping, dance-inducing PRaT.

Edit: Damn changed my mind about Double/AP. Will run it for a few days before I try vanilla again.

- XXHE 0.9y-5 (Q 0/0/0/0/0)/Engine #4/Scheme 3/invert/Quad AP
- Cantatis Overture
- Naim amps
- Wilson Benesch speakers
- Chord Co. cables
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2009, 03:54:44 pm »

Ok, thank you for sharing. But as I (I think) suggested in the other topic, you have an Oversampling/Filtering DAC, and in my book this Arc Upsampling can't do its job then; This would invalidate the filtering used in the DAC.

Note that the filtering in the DAC (which is part of the oversampling) is based upon a band limited signal (the band of 16/44.1 is limited to 22050Hz), and the so called sincx function is able to reconstruct the wave from that point of view. Now, in this case you are feeding the DAC with an already reconstructed wave, although to the DAC this will look like native 24/176.4 (for Quad). But, in practice this latter is not working (out) like that, because of the small variances Arc Prediction expresses compared to a native 176.4 (to 88.2) band limited signal. Too explain this in detail goes too far, but let's say that roughly it comes down to the very precise knowledge of how that band limited signal looks like and how the sincx function anticipates on that in detail. Maybe it's best to think of the equations I put for example in my earlier large post, and many of the 6 numbers leading to 1.2 for the average result. Twist two of those bease numbers (like 1.4 and 1.0) and the result for sincx will not be the same, because those base numbers have weights (like the further away the actual sample, the less it weighs in). Now think of I have already changed those numbers, but sincx doesn't know, and now the result of 1.2 becomes 1.3.

It still could have worked, but the longer I think about it, the more I think it just can't for OS Dacs. For OS users this is just a pitty.
But hey, if you are happy as can be without Arc Prediction, you just are. I sure don't want to change that !

Peter

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Fidelio
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2009, 05:28:52 pm »

But my DAC isn't oversampling, is it? It just converts the digital stream that is presented to it to analogue. I don't understand what kind of DAC that would benefit from AP then?

If I feed it 44.1, it reads 44.1. If I feed it Quad/AP, it reads 176.4. Thus, the DAC isn't doing any oversampling, but XXHE is. Am I wrong in this?

- Cantatis Overture
- Naim amps
- Chord Co. cables
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2009, 07:11:10 pm »

Arc Predicion 2x and especially 4x brings a significant SQ improvement. The goosebump effect is undeniable.
And I'm at headphones yet for today.

Tomorrow plain/4x arc -attended vs unattended.

After a quick check with q1/2 at 20/20 i think i still prefer those at 0, sounds more realistic to me (in headphones).

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 07:14:41 pm »

If I feed it 44.1, it reads 44.1. If I feed it Quad/AP, it reads 176.4. Thus, the DAC isn't doing any oversampling, but XXHE is. Am I wrong in this?

Fidelio, I am afraid so, yes. secret

What you see on the DAC (driver) side, is the *input* it (currently) takes. So, 176.4 at Quad upsampling by XXHighEnd. The envy24 chip your soundcard uses isn't a multi bit DAC, and thus it is an oversampling one (http://www.datasheet.org.uk/pdf/Datasheet-040/DSA00104728.pdf -> if I see it correctly, 44.1KHz x 512. Btw note this is a kind of a strange link; you must save it first before it opens as a pdf).

sorry

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:02 pm »

Well Peter,
I'm sorry but my oversampling DAC sounds definitively miraculous with Arc.

First I tried double without Arc, like before, and this sounded better, more defined, but voices had an electronic hardness.
So then I checked if Arc was on (no) and after I switched it on the sound is almost frighteningly good.
Bass is very strong, deep and rithmic. A lot of new details in the background, so yes where did this come from?
My dac uses a CS4398 with 120 times oversampling and in between is a CS8416 upsampler (88 to 176) but this ARC sounds
completely different from what the DAC can do in upsampling mode.

And the wife is very happy with the loud music, even singing and dancing!!

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 08:17:13 pm »

roflrofl Well, I guess I am as happy with posts like yours Gerard(A), but it takes more brainpower for me to reason that it can work, than it does to reason that it can't. Unless ...

My dac uses a CS4398 with 120 times oversampling and in between is a CS8416 upsampler (88 to 176) but this ARC sounds
completely different from what the DAC can do in upsampling mode.

Unless you mean with this that you can switch off oversampling afterall (I would say No with your Terratec).

But if sufficiently more people with OS DACs come up with this, I am willing to force my head better into thinking of why.

Btw, in any case this won't invalidate Fidelio's perception on this, because anyone sensitive to "timing errors" is perfectly allowed to indeed perceive this all very differently. However, the very first thing I would dedicate someone like Fidelio, is NOT an OS DAC. If anything is wrong regarding timing, it would be OS (think like : the lower the frequency, the more it siples through to the higher frequency samples -> hard to explain). But maybe this is another kind of "timing".

If Fidelio stays alone (with his wife of course Happy), he should try to listen to this with an NOS DAC.
All is relative, you know.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 08:34:50 pm »

Sill using arc prediction... I don't think I ever have tried just straight 44.1 with 9y-4, maybe I should, but I'm still blown away by what I'm hearing and spending way more time listening than I should.  Holy smokes the system can play so loud now with no strain.

My Stello dac has a two way toggle switch on the front that is labeled Upsample 192 & bypass.  I have never ever liked the 192 setting, I've tried many times, but always go back to bypass.  The stello has a 2704 chip in it, and I guess this means it is not a NOS dac, but it sounds amazing right now with double arc prediction, (dac is limited to 24/96, so can't do quad).

Since I'm using double/arc prediction on 44.1 material,,, why is it I can set the Fireface settings to 64 sample rate?  I thought I'd have to set it higher like I have to when listening to hires material.  With 24/96 material I have to set the FF settings to 128 sample rate to work.  I know double/arc prediction must be changing something because I can't play it at the normal FF settings of 48 sample like I do with no doubling 44.1 material.  Is it really doubling to 88.2 with arc prediction, but somehow I'm able to play it with only 64 sample rate?

Welp back to some listening ... I have Red Nichols on the machine right now... an old 1940s recording haha great great old man stuff.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 08:56:37 pm »

Unless you mean with this that you can switch off oversampling afterall (I would say No with your Terratec).

The CS8420 can do upsampling to 176/192 or just pass through. I can remove the little board and then there is no upsampling, but in the CS4398 there is the regular Sigma/Delta oversampling.
Luckily I don't use the terratec anymore, I think this was changing the output of it's SPDIF to much.
Now I use an extra outputplate with a connector to the motherboard. (Coaxial sounds good now).

I just found out 192 is working too thanks to another thread here!
Don't hear much difference/improvement between double and quad yet...

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
Fidelio
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 09:00:29 pm »

If Fidelio stays alone (with his wife of course Happy), he should try to listen to this with an NOS DAC.

My wife loves listening, she plays bass in a nice punk rock band so she is cool with loud music, and sensitive to SQ.

What DAC are we talking here? Can you give me an example of a NOS DAC that is nice?

- Cantatis Overture
- Naim amps
- Chord Co. cables
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 09:56:20 pm »

Since I'm using double/arc prediction on 44.1 material,,, why is it I can set the Fireface settings to 64 sample rate?  I thought I'd have to set it higher like I have to when listening to hires material.  With 24/96 material I have to set the FF settings to 128 sample rate to work.  I know double/arc prediction must be changing something because I can't play it at the normal FF settings of 48 sample like I do with no doubling 44.1 material.  Is it really doubling to 88.2 with arc prediction, but somehow I'm able to play it with only 64 sample rate?

Welp back to some listening ... I have Red Nichols on the machine right now... an old 1940s recording haha great great old man stuff.

Well, it's weird to me, but something has changed as regards to FF 800 settings sample rate... now I can choose 64 samples on the FF and I can play 24/96 material... I used to have to set it to 128 samples to play, so it's not just double/arc prediction.  Tried this with 9y-3a and it worked there too... so don't know how long ago this change occurred. oh well, happy because from what I've heard, lower sample rate is better than high.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 11:13:33 pm »

happy because from what I've heard, lower sample rate

Uhm ?

Furthermore, I don't know. The only thing I know is that IIRC 64 always worked for me at 24/96 but I always set it to 96 for safety. At this moment I don't know, because I don't have the FF connected to the music PC anymore.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 11:17:05 pm »

Sill using arc prediction... I don't think I ever have tried just straight 44.1 with 9y-4, maybe I should, but I'm still blown away by what I'm hearing and spending way more time listening than I should.  Holy smokes the system can play so loud now with no strain.

Just for fun (for everyone) ... try to focus on S'ses. How loud do they sound now ? Compare with pronouncing one yourself at the listening level.

They sound quite loud now, right ? So, much louder than before, and no harshness. In fact, quite similar to the one you pronounce yourself ...

yes

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 11:41:49 pm »

Si Si señor!! good good good

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  All
  Print  

Jump to: