XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 25, 2024, 03:45:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Does Improving PC PSU and Reducing PC EMI/RFI Improve SQ?  (Read 197742 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #120 on: June 07, 2010, 02:50:51 pm »

Yes, this is one of the things I used to like about using a laptop - the SQ went up audibly on unplugging the SMPS and running on battery.

I still think a laptop can be a 'good' solution... but I no longer think it can be the 'best' solution.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 07, 2010, 03:16:40 pm »

I know of a company who just put into production a linear PSU at the size of a matchbox, especially made for PCs (ATX connections). No fan in that matchbox as well, hahaha.

I am not sure it is too early to tell about though, and I don't think they have a sales channel for it yet. But since I am a customer there already ... who knows. The price is (don't laugh) around a 100 euro.
The "inventor" of it is an audio freak himself ...

I don't know how good it really is, as I didn't have it in my hands myself. IIRC 5Amps can be drawn from it.

That's great news!!! Update us if you find out more  Happy

pedal,

you could always buy a Pico PSU and feed both, p4 and p24 with the linear psu like Peaktech 6080 through the pico psu. It's very easy to implement and quite cheap as well. I would probably go with Pico+Peaktech combo myself unless Peter reveals some revelations about linear ATX psu available soon  scratching
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 07, 2010, 03:20:10 pm »

Yes, this is one of the things I used to like about using a laptop - the SQ went up audibly on unplugging the SMPS and running on battery.

I still think a laptop can be a 'good' solution... but I no longer think it can be the 'best' solution.

Mani.

A laptop isn't that good solution IMHO. The components inside are very close to each other (noisy environment).
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 07, 2010, 04:32:38 pm »

About PeakTech:

I googled a little and it seems like it's a German company. Here is their website: http://www.peaktech.de/products/kategorie/dc-netzgeraete.html

They are specialized in "hospital grade equipment". Seems they have DC PSU in 2 categories: Linear and Switching Mode. (Maybe they sell linear to hospital enviroments which are sensitive to RF radiation?)
Judging from their product range, there are several options. To replace a ATX psu I have to buy 4 pcs PeakTech 6080? Is that so? Or maybe another model?

Anyone with some experience here?

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 07, 2010, 05:27:51 pm »

You need one Pico PSU (preferably 150xt) and one Peaktech 6080 to power P4 and P24 sockets on your motherboard. Use your old SMPS ATX PSU to feed all the "dirty" components like hard drives and optical drives.

PS
I got response from VirtuaVia. They say that the PCI-E to PCI expansion case isn´t powered anyhow by the pci
extension cable or motherboard's pci slot.
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 07, 2010, 08:02:36 pm »

I use the Winmate dc-dc psu with a switching psu (gateway 150W). It's not linear but i think it improved things comparing to the internal psu i was using before.
I'm going to build an OUTPUT filter/distributor for all the switching-equipment that I have to isolate the audio chain (i.e. the amplifiers and the dac).

RFI is produced by the computer itself, isolating it with a transformer or other means is very important IF a digital or analog signal comes from it.I'm waiting to find out the NOS1 computer interface before mumbling further.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2010, 09:41:52 pm »

I try to isolate my sound card as much as possible from PC's noisy environment and came up with an idea to buy sth like this for my Cantatis Overture sound card:

- http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-express-to-pci-expansion-box-p29809.html

Marcin, thanks for posting this. I've just ordered one of these and will let you know how it works.

I went for the low-powered version because I think 38W is enough to power my single RME AES card. Also, I want to use a linear AC-DC 12V supply, which itself will be powered by an AC-DC-AC regenerator. All this with a view to getting the cleanest 5V AES signal out of the RME card.

Including shipping and VAT, this solution has cost more than I was hoping for - around €275! But it might be worth every penny...

Mani

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2010, 10:37:52 pm »

It might be, but there is another factor - long cable. I don't know if it's such a good thing for audio. Anyway, I'm looking forward to your impressions.  Happy
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2010, 11:00:54 pm »

Whats the difference with this one, I believe this is already on Peter's pile of audio stuff.
http://www.startech.com/item/PEX2PCIE4L-PCI-Express-to-2-PCI-Full-Length-2-PCIe-Single-lane-Expansion-Box.aspx

I though this topic started of with this one.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #129 on: June 09, 2010, 06:13:13 am »

Oh boy ... scratching Roy is right. And I didn't respond to Marcin's post about it because I thought he clearly suggested that I had it (a bit fuzzy because it was under another brand name).

What do you think about it? I know that Peter considered sth like that...

So Mani, you could have bought mine ...

If you replace the PSU it will work allright, unless it stops working. This happened to me, and I never got any replies to my emails. I must honestly say I never called either, something to be done with real troubles of course.
By now I forgot what exactly happened to my PC at the time, but some crucial OS driver had removed itself, and this couldn't be noticed by something else. Only the exclamation mark in the hardware list indicated it, which I really didn't notice because I often have some of those. yes.
By the time you have problems with it, I will be able to help I think, because in the end I made pictures of settings and things.
But maybe it won't happen to you at all.

I think by itself this is a nice solution for these kind of things, because it is affordable. A year back it was not. But change that PSU (you can assemble one in the box itself).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 09, 2010, 01:16:35 pm »

Peter, were there any noticeable improvements with this case?

I'd really appreciate your response.
M.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #131 on: June 09, 2010, 02:27:03 pm »

Hi Marcin - How to answer this ...

Like Mani, I bought it as soon I learned it was there. And, at the time I thought to serve you all to test it and see what can be done with it, just because I (think I) have the experience at investigating these kind of things longer ago (deeply). I could measure, etc. So, I got it running at first which lasted two days before it died on me; I never got round to any testing in those two days. Then I waited for a couple of weeks on answers from the supplier, which I never got.
This all was at the time I was using Vista, and of which I noticed in the end the not-working driver for "something". When I went to W7 (already a few months later), the exclamation mark had gone, and for fun I tried the box again. And surprise, it worked again.
But I really lost my interest in it, and never did anything with it anymore.

The only thing I can tell is when you use it as is, switching on the television may reboot your system. So, when I had it working in the beginning (the two days) I had a sufficient amount of reboots which I could dedicate to switching on something, that I judged it as "no good". However, since I planned to use a linear PSU for it, I didn't care all *that* much about this, assuming this caused it.

All 'n all you can say I never tested it as planned, but what I saw of it right out of the box didn't make me happy (and IIRC $400 more poor).

That's all,
Peter Happy

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 09, 2010, 06:10:18 pm »

Peter, thanks for a reply Happy I'd rather buy sth like this http://www.virtuavia.eu/shop/pci-express-to-pci-adapter-p29855.html
and power it by a linear PSU, but I am not 100% sure if this adapter gets the power from a motherboard or is it completely powered through the molex.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #133 on: June 09, 2010, 06:26:49 pm »

Usually the molex connection does something additional. Hmm ...

But somehow it seems you look at it the other way around, I think. This card allows a PCI card on top of it, and it has a molex output for ... tell me !? Not for itself. Not for a random PCI card because they just don't need it. They exist of course (GPUs), but ...

But maybe you get it better than I do ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 09, 2010, 06:29:59 pm »

Are you saying, that the molex is there to feed the adapter? LOL If so, then I don't need this cr*p :D
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  All
  Print  

Jump to: