XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 29, 2024, 03:49:14 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What's the closest 'safe' distance from PC to DAC/AMP?  (Read 8825 times)
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:08:11 pm »

Hi Guys,

I got new cables - Vovox Initio (2x power cords, IC and speaker cables). The thing is that the IC is very short (0,5m), I haven't thought this through before purchasing, but 0,5m is probably limiting SQ or the cables need more time to burn in as I heard from my friend. What are your experiences in this area?

Cheers,
Marcin

PS
Is it just me or you too refresh the site a lot during this weekend after Peter announced that z-3 is coming in the weekend?  unsure
Eric
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 08:29:57 pm »

I would certainly postpone any SQ judgement until the cables are "burned in".
Even after a few months it can still get better (in my experience).
Cheers
Eric

3.2GHz CPU, 8GB RAM, XXHE 1.186a, W7x64 SP1 Ultimate on 2.5" 10Krpm SATAII spinning disk, 8GB RAM / KS:Phasure NOS1 Out 4.0 / #4 Engine / Adaptive / Buffer 4096 / ClockRes 1ms/ Stop All Services / Monitor Off / SFS = 0.4 / not Invert / No XTweaks / Playback Drive = External USB3 (USB powered) HDD / Unattended/ Minimize OS / Peak Ext / ArcPredict / PA- / Q1,-,3,4,5=14,-,0,0,0
Control Panel: Sample Rate: 352.800kHz/ USB Buffer Size: 8ms
Amps: BD-Design bridged Gainclones
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 08:32:01 pm »

Haha,
This weekend is lost for us, waiting and doing nothing usefull!
I dont think Peter will put the new version soon, because they put too many new ideas in his head!

About the IC's, normally the shorter the better because then they can give less of their own colour to the sound.
Unless the two connected boxes influence each other with stray magnetic fields or other RFI...

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:41:05 pm »

I know that shorter ICs are better, but you know, I'm using PCI sound card as a DAC and I don't think that my amplifier benefits from such a close PC presence. The cables sounded terrible at first, but after 2 days of continuos playback, things are getting better, but I think (hope) that it's a long way of improvements Happy

I dont think Peter will put the new version soon, because they put too many new ideas in his head!

Yep, maybe it's a good thing, I'll get a chance to experiment with W2008, before z3 is released Happy
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 06:30:13 pm »

I'm happy to inform you, that my cables are pretty much burned in, because they took my system level up. Wonderful products, but someone should have warned me that they sound horrible at first.

Cheers,
Marcin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: