XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 02:27:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 0.9y4 - Problem with restart of services  (Read 12322 times)
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2009, 06:21:56 pm »

Peter, continue to love the 0.9y4 release with QARC.  Best sound by far I've heard.  I particularly have found the Q settings very helpful.

I've come across two issues with 0.9y4 under Windows 7 64 bit.  Once I have run XXHE and then shut it down, I

(1) Lose the Windows 7 Task Bar and
(2) Cannot initiate another Remote Desktop Connection (RDC) session.

Pushing the "services" button on XXHE does not remedy the situation. 

I don't recall having these issues before I "tweaked" Win7 using the Vista info on your forum.  Unfortunately, I failed to create a restore point before making those changes!  So...I'm reinstalling Win7 now to see if the tweaks were the issue.

I'll report back more later.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2009, 07:22:56 pm »

Maybe try restart the service "Remote Desktop Configuration"

Or did you already re-installed W7 ?

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2009, 07:30:44 pm »

And on the toolbar,
try hit the Windows-button or rightclick were the toolbar should be.

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 08:30:42 pm »

Thanks Roy for the thoughts.  I reinstalled Win 7 64 - so no tweaks, just standard RDC - and ran a number of repetitive test to pinpoint the symptoms.  The problem of the Task Bar not reappearing after leaving unattended mode went away.

The RDC problem remains.  Here's what happens. 

+ Logging on and off with RDC works fine after music server boot up.
+ If you just start XXHE and do not initiate play - you can log on and off with RDC with no issues.
+ As soon as you hit play OR stop running XXHE - you cannot log on again with RDC.  This when the "stop services" flag is not checked as well as when it is checked.  Logging on locally to the music server (with a connected display and keyboard) and clicking the "services" button does not solve the problem.
+ The only solution is a system restart.

=> Been too long since I wrote code, but it would seem services associated with RDC are being turned off when XXHE goes into play mode...and not reset.  However, since the problem doesn't manifest until you hit play, but also shows up when you quit the program without having played a song indicates a more complex interaction.  I will leave that to Mr. Peter....software guru.

+ Also, HotKey will not work after start-up unless you click on the HotKey short cut on the desktop and "run it".

I'm now using Task Manager to see if I can locate what services might be getting shut down that is causing this issue.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 08:55:36 pm »

+ Also, HotKey will not work after start-up unless you click on the HotKey short cut on the desktop and "run it".

Just put AHK (xx.ahk) shortcut it in the startup folder (optional: together with shortcut of xxhighend.exe)
C:\users\(your namexxxxxxxxxxx)\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\startup
And all will startup automaticly.

Next step:
You also want to look at this (its about removing the xx.ahk (sometimes annoying) message at startup)
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=753.msg6655#msg6655

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2009, 09:01:28 pm »

Okay....another symptom.

I have hotkey installed.  As I said, after each music server boot up I have to run the short cut to get hotkey to work.  So I deinstalled hotkey.  Now the other problem I mentioned showed up again.  If I run XXHE in unattended mode, sometimes (not every time) when it stops playing and the program window reappears if you close out of the program the Task Bar will not reappear.  It's intermittent.  In that scenario I have to reboot XXHE and then stop out of it again.

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2009, 09:09:28 pm »

Sometimes it can be better to install the program itself look here:
http://www.autohotkey.com/download/
install program

let it work with xx:
http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=724.msg5220#msg5220

read my previous message carefully, to do all automaticly

And the rest you have to sort out with Peter, not my cup of tea, indeed !!

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2009, 09:25:25 pm »

Maybe under "taskbar and startmenu properties" options tick "Lock Taskbar"
(so rightclick on the windows logo, hit properties)
maybe this helps to keep your taskbar

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2009, 09:55:57 pm »

Hi David,

I could try to go in whatever detail, but right now the thing to tell you really is that I do not touch a single thing regarding your RDC issue. However :

Can it be so that during playback you received a message about a "Service stopped working" ? This is not uncommon at all (everybody experiences this) BUT it is not the intention that mr. W7 in your case shuts down services you are using/needing. Remember, if this indeed happens to you, this it *not* me doing that.
Before proceeding, please let me know about this.

In the mean time, if you indeed receive such messages from the OS, it is my estimate that putting the thread priority more towards "normal" will help. Notice though that this is *not* the solution in the end (sound will get worse from it).

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2009, 10:21:18 pm »

Thanks Roy and Peter. 

I'll investigate the RDC issue further.  Good to know that XXHE isn't turning off any of the RDC related services.  What's weird is that I don't remember having this issue from the beginning...oh well, it's not that big of deal anyway.

Regarding the Task Bar issue....it doesn't happen if I stop play BEFORE quitting XXHE.  In other words, if you run XXHE unattended, then bring it out of unattended by Alt-X and then either hit the "off" or just close the XXHE window via the "X" in the right hand corner....then the Task Bar will not reappear. 

It appears in the code there is not a command to restart services unless the stop key has been pressed OR all songs in the playlist have been played first....weird thing is that even if I hit the "services button" before exiting XXHE via either the "Off" or "X" means I still don't get the Task Bar back....and if you open a folder it's clear that the window graphics have been dumbed down....i.e. it looks like what you get if you go into System settings and select "optimize for performance" versus for appearance.

This is no big deal as now that I know about it all I need to do is to hit stop before I exit....

Regarding RDC....I figured out the issue!  If you set the Processor Core Appt Scheme to any of the schemes (1-4) you can't re-establish RDC....  This is why I remembered it working before because I didn't start off with the Scheme selected...

Any ideas on how I might work around this issue....it would appear RDC wants to have access to both cores....  If not I'll just live with it as is....I definitely am looking for the best SQ, it's just that the way I have to have my listening room set up I can't practically have a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected....  and stay married anyways...   Wink

AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2009, 10:47:36 pm »

Any ideas on how I might work around this issue....it would appear RDC wants to have access to both cores....  If not I'll just live with it as is....I definitely am looking for the best SQ, it's just that the way I have to have my listening room set up I can't practically have a monitor/keyboard/mouse connected....  and stay married anyways...  

This problem will remain, for all of us, unless somebody comes with a decent remote option.
That does not influence SQ, but sure functionality is also a big issue, just keep the RDC.
Did not try this myself, I only have 1 PC, for know.
We just wanted to report you about the disadvantages of using RDC. (vs SQ)
But is should be possible, to do this the right way. (with using 2 PC's)

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2009, 11:05:06 pm »

I'll be looking into that Core Appointment issue ! Thanks for finding this all out, David.

Regarding the Task Bar issue....it doesn't happen if I stop play BEFORE quitting XXHE.  In other words, if you run XXHE unattended, then bring it out of unattended by Alt-X and then either hit the "off" or just close the XXHE window via the "X" in the right hand corner....then the Task Bar will not reappear.

Well, I am the most sure combinations exist that the taskbar won't reappear, but this as sure doesn't look like one of them. I mean, your description just denotes "keep on playing my boy", and the taskbar *should* stay away. However, at Alt-X it should reappear in the first place (and it sure  does here -> Vista), while quitting XXHighEnd should let it disappear again.

Please read your own desription carefully, as well as mine, because both imply a different situation, and to me it looks like your decription is not correct. Both though, just *should* end up in "no taskbar" ! (so it is also a matter of understanding how the principle is set up ?)

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2009, 12:52:13 am »

oops

My bad!  It just dawned on me that unless you hit stop the Engine 3 thread will continue to run...and the services which were switched off will stay off....   WTF ! 

Nevermind.... Happy

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 01:21:06 am »

Happy

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: