XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:25:59 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows7 ? hmm ... maybe not !  (Read 55872 times)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« on: December 29, 2009, 12:56:20 pm »

I honestly can't say I am the most enthusiast about W7.

To me it looks like the least intuitive OS MS ever built. Difficult to explain, but things are just not in place. One example, and let's imagine you are a completely new Windows user (while at the background we sure know how things were) :

There you are. A new fresh system. Hey, that's nice, we can drag our IE icon to the taskbar, and now there it sits as a button. Great !
So, I use that button (click) ...
Allright. Let's start another instance of IE.
What the heck ... where is my button ?

You see ? this makes no sense.
We -who really know- know about the shortcut taskbar buttons (at the left). Well, MS thought to trade them for this new feature just described. I don't know, but the one who invented this should be hospitalized.

And you know, the old way of those buttons really is still there. But don't think you will be able to find out yourself how to do this.

Ok, somehow I heard only positives of you out there. It feels faster etc. Does it ? Well to me it does not. At all.
To me it looks like some technical MS nerd was set to tweak the lot without touching the real stuff. Backdoor solutions. Take for example this forum; Besides it seems impossible to type texts in an area like I'm typing in now (in some occasions), maybe you noticed the orange bar scrolling from top to bottom when a page is displayed. Well, if you know what I mean, you may have noticed that all is scattering and flickering. And no, this is not about a malfunctioning video driver (I think). This is about some opposite of Vista which virtually was slow but actually was smooth. Now it is virtually fast (flickering) but actually is slow.

All is slow, and all is less responsive. If you think otherwise ... don't believe it. Just watch carefully, and know what to watch for. yes

Internal priorities are hopelessly flawed !

Who says ? me. And MS better listen to it.

I now know why many suddenly have problems with audio and hickups. Watch it : this is about those who started using W7.
One of the major flaws I discovered (but it's a general thing I think) is that "media" (hence audio) doesn't perceive the highest priority anymore. Thus, when a piece of kernel code is supposed to fill a buffer while another piece of user code is doing something else, that user code now has preference. STUPID ! This is just where Vista was good at, and now it is destroyed. I don't say this can't be solved, but in the mean time it now *has* to be solved, where Vista was ok with it. So thank you very much.

The sound ...
I don't know yet, but after two days of listening it seems that I hear what I see. At the rate I see "task switching" (take the orange bar as an example if you perceive that the same like I do) I hear a fake timbre in everything. More raw. This is a bit difficult because it could be real, but if that is real I don't like it much. Strangely enough this seems more apparent with WASAPI (Engine#3) than with Kernel Streaming. Or maybe it is logic ... (about task switching).

Take a look at the resource monitor; what the hell is all that network traffic doing there ? mind you, all to your own address. This wasn't before ...

Ah, my bloodily setup remote isn't working anymore. Why ? dunno yet. But I do know I don't like it.

Yes, XXEngine3 is a kind of demanding to the OS (about auto-shutdown services which I didn't see yet in W7) ... but what in heaven's name is happening with a window I cross away and which may take 30 seconds, in the mean time the red cross shivering and shivering again at that "task switching rate".

Funnily it now exhibits all the characteristics of using a wrong SSD like I did at first with Vista. Well, something *has* changed in that area for W7. Maybe it is related ?

Oh, just a minor thing : Vista already couldn't cope with WASAPI and hybernation (it just wouldn't after playing with Engine#3 for a while), but with W7 this is even more fun : Now it hybernates, but as soon as it is waked up, it shuts down. Hahaha.
Well, at least shutting off the hybernating now works, so problem solved. swoon

That OSD time showing for a second only ... when the Wallpaper changes the handle to the screen is distroyed. A technical issue of course, and now solved by recreating that handle. In the mean time this means a "memory leak". No big deal (because it hardly takes memory) but in the mean time a major incompatibility. Or call it a bug.

Allright, if it weren't for you out there just using W7 which *thus* has to be supported, I would go back to Vista !!
But, when I can't get the sound right, I will anyway. If I can't get those priorities right, we better all go back. Keep in mind : "you" now (mostly) solved this by "tweaks" meant for changing SQ. So, your bandwidth for that has been taken away. This is not the intention of it all ...

Peter
Cry

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
mojave
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2009, 05:25:25 pm »

I have found that I like Windows 7 the best and feel it is the most intuitive. Regarding the button issue, are you talking about shortcuts pinned to the taskbar? If you right click the Internet Explorer icon in the taskbar and click Internet Explorer it will open another session. I like it that the taskbar shortcuts become session icons when the program is running and only open new sessions if you want them to. This takes up less space in the taskbar and I am more likely to want to return to a current browser session than to open a new one. Some more info on the taskbar can be found here.
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 05:41:38 pm »

The thing i agree the most is the new taskbar. I absolutely hate it with the explorer folders/library. i cannot open a second instance from there, i have to use the desktop.

I dunno about priorities and such technicalities, but in general the system FEELS (which doesnt mean is) smoother.

They said that they improved the audio stack. If and how i dunno, and let you and the drivers writers to do it. i do have a problem with latency on my dedicated pc and i already took the decision to go back to vista. Probably i'll stick to it until w7 SP1 comes out.

This is from an early adopter of all MS OSes. W7 betas and RCs had lots of problems, and the RTM needed about one month of updates to be stable.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 12:12:42 am »

Hi Peter,

I started to use the XXH under W7 since October 09 and was not familiar with the SQ under VISTA. 

My main target is to listen to a really good SQ, the menues of the OS are not that important.

VISTA SP2 is installed on the Sony VAIO laptop since 2009-12-29, and the difference of the SQ is by wide margin. I'm not talking about a small increment.
This are total different worlds.
Under VISTA the SQ has timbre, depth and width. Unbelievable.
For the next time the Vista OS with the XXH  is my preference for real music replay and I can sell my CD-player.

christoffe
 Happy

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Windows VISTA SP2> XXHE 09-y4 / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 4/0/0/0/0 / No Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended / *Quad Arc Prediction Upsampling* > Sony Vaio VGN-AW4 Series>|- Weiss Minerva -|- Dartzeel NHB-108B > speakers: Anat Referenz II Studio>
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:27:35 am »

Thank you for sharing Christoffe.

Btw, I am not here to stir something which may not be justified, but I think I know when I don't like something. For now this is the sound of W7, but it could be (somehow ?) my setup.

All I now by now (all confirmed today) is that the whole priority scheme is mixed, mixed up, doesn't work or anyway does not do at all what I expect from it, and what I was ever used to (hence the program is used to Happy). For those with doubts : look at Taskmanager and the Performance tab. Isn't it so that it completely stalls when a track is loaded ? why ? there is no reason to. Not according the priorities, and not according the affinities (which processor core is allowed to do what).

I just spent several hours to get something running with some decency again, and it needed to set the lowest priority to a certain task, plus the deviding over two cores. Before it ran on the highest prio and one core was sufficient. It just doesn't make sense.

I know, to most of you this may encourage for a "so what ?" ... but I know how much these things influence sound. And coincidentally I don't like the sound at all.
If I do like something it may take a week before I don't. The other way around is no option ...

Bweh.
Peter dntknw

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:05:35 am »

... I don't like the sound at all.

Well look what you've created now. Us W7 users are all frantically searching for our Vista disks now and dreading hours of reformating, reinstalling and reoptimizing...

Thanks Peter Cry

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:29:33 pm »

... I don't like the sound at all.

Well look what you've created now. Us W7 users are all frantically searching for our Vista disks now and dreading hours of reformating, reinstalling and reoptimizing...

Thanks Peter Cry

Mani.
rofl Wink

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 01:42:31 pm »

Arghh, Seeing is believing, connected my Vista-laptop to the DAC and ooh..
Back (?) is a fullblooded sound that even surprised the little kids.
I tried the latest from Anouk which I almost had deleted for bad sound quality and
now it sounds incredible!

So how do I put Vista back from D: to C: after removing Win7 from C: ?
And what's the best way to use SSD on Vista?

So why everybody hears improvements but nobody hears things getting worse?

BTW I started to like the interface of 7 but had problems with videodrivers, satellite-tv and even the input of the phase 24FW was recognized as output.

Thanks Peter for getting us back to the right track!

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 07:12:50 pm »

So Peter.....as a customer, what do you recommend I do to get the best sound quality given I'm a new Win7 user?  Do I go get Vista and install that until you get a release that works as well on Win7 as it does on Vista?  Is there any issue with reinstalling XXHE using the same activation code on Vista?

Thanks.

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 07:24:46 pm »

I suggest to hold on a bit for now. You (all) didn't complain in the first place, right ? no

But if you go back to Vista and have problems with the Activation you'll get a new Code.

I still have my Vista (SSD) disk and will do some A-B the upcoming days.
But in the mean time, if people agree that SQ is worse, please let it know (and try to describe it).

Thanks,
Peter

PS: Remote works again (the 4 to be deleted Registry entries came back with the upgrade);
PPS: I deactivated TRIM because it seems to hurt more than it does any good (about the freezes); will let know what comes from this.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 08:08:59 pm »

You (all) didn't complain in the first place, right ?

I certainly didn't. W7 seemed a step-up from Vista... not necessarily in SQ terms, but certainly in latency terms.

I have absolutely no complaints about the SQ of XXHE on W7. But I'm still running the evaluation copy of W7... I wonder if that makes a difference?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
AUDIODIDAKT
Audio Addict

There's Nothing So Dated As Yesterdays Future

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 08:50:58 pm »

Peter,

For me W7 is still the better feeling OS to work on, but very curious about an A-B to compare SQ.
I believe nobody did a true compare between the both, going back and forth I mean.

Do you have 2 SSD's (or partitions) to do a true compare between the two ?

And you are kind enough to let us know about your experiences.

To be honest, I did experienced the same thing like GerardA with listening to Anouk.(months ago)
Didn't like it, but didn't liked it much before either. (too harsh)
But a whole lot has changed in the mean time.
And then there is that latency thing

I will keep on using W7 untill the evaluation period expires (03-2010)
And we will see from there.

Still evaluating, I don't really care if its gonna be Vista or W7 on the audio-pc.

Roy

(Sept 30, 2010)                                                
W7 Ultimate x64 Tweaked/60 GB SSD OCZ Vertex (1.50)/Gigabyte GA-EP45-EXTREME/Intel Q9550 2.83Ghz/OZC Reaper 2x2GB/
Esi Juli@ soundcard (KS)(x2v-v0_978)(Tweaked Coaxial)/Nvidea Geforce 9800 GTX+/750 Watt Zalman ZM-750-HP/100 MB Fiber-Optical Internet/
(XXHighEnd 0.9z-2)
#4Engine, Special Mode, 48 samples, SFS 12MB, DAP, Scheme=3, Q1=1, Q2/Q3/Q4/Q5=30,30,0,0, PlayerPrio=Low, ThreadPrio=Realtime
x-Allow Format Change, x-Stop Services, x-Copy to XX-drive by Standard, x-Start Engine3 During Conversion
earflappin
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 10:09:46 pm »

Peter, since I never heard XXHE on Vista I have no frame of reference regarding if Win7 is better or worse... unhappy

Case in point....it wasn't until I installed an Antelope DA in between my PC server and my DAC that I realized how much my sound quality was being degraded by noise.  Now that I've heard the difference I could never go back.

My sense is compared to Samplitude v10 (a reference point for me as I did hear it on WinXP before upgrading to Win7), XXHE has greater resolution by at the slight expense of added coarseness.  Of course, this could be that XXHE is just letting me better hear the deficiencies still in my AES link and/or DAC....   Wink

The only way to be sure is for you to do an A/B or for me to try Vista....  personally I vote for the former...   Happy  In the mean time I'll continue to use Win7!

Mac Mini / Pure Music > Firewire > Metric Halo LIO-8 > Atma-Sphere M60 Mk3.1's > Geddes Abbey Speakers > Rythmik Servo Subs // ASI Liveline Cables, HRS MXR Isolation Rack, PurePower 2000, Elgar 6006B
Leon
Audio Loudspeaker

oosterom@msn.com
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:21:59 am »

I do not like to see a new schism, as there was/is between XP and Vista users. I really hope that Peter knows how to unravel the Windows 7 architecture and bend it into our advantage.

In the meanwhile I wish everybody a great and musical new year.

Leon

Windows 7, AMD Turion, X@ Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 2.10 GHz, 3G RAM. 32-bits
Output USB  to music system through XMod external soundcard no DAC
Q1/2/3/4/5 = 4/0/0/0/0 / No Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = RealTime / Scheme = 3 /Services Off + Running Time
HiFiTubes
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 11:34:34 am »

The one thing I can't stand about 7: the auto-maximize window feature.

I often want to leave some windows organized on my kitchen Touchsmart PC and if you get to close, easy to do using your finger, to the top of the screen, the windows are pulled into full focus and maximized. Probably I way to disable it but I haven't checked yet.

Overall, I am very happy, as I think Vista was the most unstable operating system I ever used.

Example, new PC at work, and they asked me XP or Vista (this was 4 months ago). I reluctantly said Vista for some reason, and I have some strange bugs; mainly compatibility issues no doubt but 7 on my 4 other PCs at home is quite smooth.

Headphone: MC14 FLAC 24/96 → HiFace (BNC) → Eastern Electric DAC → Raptor → AKG 702 (ALO silver)
Speaker: Win7x64 JNC81 (SSD) + PicoPSU 80w → EMU 1616M (BNC) → Peachtree Nova (BNC)→ Eastern Electric 6BM8 → Omega 3i + Deep Hemp
Digital RIAA: Bix→ MG1 Linear → Grado Reference → AEA ribbon preamp → Black Sparrow ADC → EMU1616M → Samplitude (RIAA + Algorithmix) → EMU1616M → Peachtree Nova BNC)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: