XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:51:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: An introduction and questions.  (Read 9263 times)
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: June 30, 2007, 12:12:20 am »

Hi Peter

Not sure this is the best place to post this on this forum, my apologies if it is inappropriate. I have a few questions, but first a little background. Been an audiophool for about 8 years now, and am a hard core DIYer. I've built several tube amps, and am designing my own currently, as well as having many preamps, cables, and speaker projects, under my belt. I am currently working on a DDAC 1543 kit as supplied by Doede Duma. I have been monitoring the computer audio forum on the audio asylum, and saw the post there, that seemed to cause so much paranoia!;-)

Can't believe the folks there are so paranoid about anybody associated with the "infamous" Bert Doppenberg gang. Wink  If you are not familiar with the DDAC1543 it is a USB DAC which uses an I2S bus and re-clocks with a 11.8mhz (I think), Tent Labs clock to parallel stacked 1543s, in my case two towers of 12 for a total of 24 1543 chips. It uses no op-amp, just a load resistor and capacitor for output after the chips.

Seem as as if this DAC would be a good candidate for your players minimalist philosophy (which I've always gravitated to in audio). Do you agree?

Now for the questions. Does your player bypass the computer sound card? I hope so, because I have a very lousy one in my music server computer (since I was going to bypass it anyway). It's a very small PC commonly called "Pandoras Box", the computer, the 8" LCD touch screen, and external music storage hard drives, are designed to fit on the coffee table in front of my listening position.

I have Windows XP operating system, can I get the best performance with your player with XP, or would I have to upgrade to Vista, or is some other OS optimal? I want pretty much of a no compromise system, so if an upgrade is necessary, so be it.

I am confused about the different versions of XXHighEnd, can you advise as to which would be the most appropriate. I am not a techie by any means, and was really NOT looking forward to the completely bewildering proposal of getting Foobar to work. unhappy
 Looks like you just may have the solution I was looking for, that is a player that sounds great, stays out of the way of the music, and that you don't have to be a software engineer to implement. Happy

twystd   

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 12:52:38 am »

Hi you audiophool !  Welcome !

Let me try to give some you some answers ...

Most important I think :

Does your player bypass the computer sound card?

Yes, since any USB DAC would.
For XP you'd have to use Engine #2 (not Doubled because the DDDac supports up to 48K sampling rate only).
For Vista you can use any engine, but only #3 would be bit perfect.
Note : For XP I really can't tell whether it would be bit perfect because you'd need a digital output on the DAC to measure it. Some say it is ... (from theories only).

Your nos-DAC would be allright from the nos-principle, although it always will be you judging that. The fact that you chose it, says enough I think.
I do not know by heart how many bits your 24 chip DAC supports, but IIRC any (dual) tower below 1 m grazy may stop at 14 ... dntknw
But maybe you can tell ?

For your 8" screen I'd have to change something with the width of the shown titles (vs the shown album picture), but if you can wait a bit, that will be there.

Best would be to have a dual boot system. Why ? because to me it is not 100% clear which of XP/Vista produces the best sound. They are very different anyway, and although Vista is more accurate, XP tends to be more natural (what to do with that ?). Do note, however, that Vista's Engine#3 has to be exploited yet. So best would really be to be able to choose.

and that you don't have to be a software engineer to implement. Happy

For a few that still happens though, but I'll help till I drop. yes
When all is settled a bit, everyone should be okay.

If you've more questions ... I hope I can answer them.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
twystd
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 08:10:27 pm »

Hi Peter

No problem with a wait, I'm in the process of way too many projects, including my USB DAC, so it will be awhile before I order.

Perhaps you'd like to read a couple of posts I made on the Audio Asylum PC audio forum: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/2/21445.html and: http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pcaudio/messages/2/21465.html
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2007, 05:37:31 am »

Hi twystd
Just started browsing this part of the forum and saw your post.  I just recently set up XXHighEnd version d on a new install of Vista premium 32 bit.  I learned about XXHE from Audio Asylum also; I can't believe how some of those guys got their panties in a bunch.  I've enthused about XXHE in several other places on this forum; give a search.  All I can say is this is the best player sound quality wise I've come across by a large margin; so much so it's hard for me to believe.  I'm going to bring this back sometime to AA, but I'm giving myself more listening time with it so that I can approach AA in a good way.  I thought I was the only one who called himself an audiophool, hehe.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: