XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 06:19:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: XXHE vs. Amarra  (Read 8428 times)
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:14:23 pm »

Yesterday Macbook Pro got into my hands and I figured to do some comparisons and satisfy my curiosity. I downloaded Amarra Mini demo and newest drivers for my M-Audio Transit USB card, which in both cases were used only as a digital transport to feed Beresford TC-7510 DAC.
The same volume and tracks were used. The only difference was that on a PC, the player was XXHE and on Macbook Pro (with and without PSU) - iTunes 9.1 + Amarra Mini.  Two seconds after I pushed play in iTunes, I knew it was far from XXHighEnd when it comes to all aspects of sound characteristics. I am really disappointed with Mac-based audio playback. I don't know how much would change if I had tweaked Mac OS. I know that with  my PC it has a great impact and brings SQ level up, but much of that lays in hardware tweaks and there is not much to be done in Macbook when it comes to hardware tricks. XXHE FTW!!!
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 01:32:32 pm »

Thanks for this comparison Happy
I was waiting for it for awhile.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
Suteetat
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »

I tried Amarra/MacBook Pro vs PC/Lynx/XXHighend about 3-4 months ago. It was not the latest XXHighend version however. I think it was even before special mode was introduced or was just introduced or something but certainly not the adaptive mode.
At that time, Amarra/MacBook with Weiss INT202 firewire/AES-EBU converter sounded better than Vista/XXHighend using the same Weiss INT202 interface.
However, at the same time, I found PC/Lynx to sound better in my system than using Weiss INT202 for whatever reason. Mac/INT202 and PC/Lynx/XXHighend sounded quite similar.

More recently, a friend bought over MacMini with Bolder linear Power Supply/Pure Music using glass fiber toslink connection to my DAC, the current XXHighend/Win7/Lynx sounded better. 

Intel i7 950 12GB DDR3 triple channel, Win7 64bit sp1 on SSD,
firewire -> Weiss INT202 -> Playback MPS-5-> ??

0.9z-4, KS-adaptive, buffer 256, Q1=1, no oversampling, SFS 100, straight contiguous,
minimum Clock Resolution, Scheme 2
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: