XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 24, 2024, 05:13:35 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sample rate conversion from 88,2 to 96 or 192  (Read 5599 times)
guytou1
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: June 27, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »

Hi Peter

When reading a 88,2 file with antiimage and "96 or 192 k only" checked, will it be possible in a near future to get a 96k or at least 192k output ?
Today the output rate is forced to 88,2 or 176,4 (96k only is ignored).
Other point : it is not possible to play a 48k file with arc prediction when "96k only" is checked. Or here, arc prediction should be able to output 96k.

Best regards
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2010, 08:05:57 am »

Hi,

Sorry for the late response, but I was working the last days on the perfection of 352.8/384 and 705.6/768 (related to those "Phasure 384/768" buttons) and thought to awaiten that before answering this. And indeed Happy I found at least 10 situations -mainly in the base 48000 area- which where not covered for yet. The combinations are quite crazy.

So, now I have finished that, it gives me the opportunity to oversee your requests better;

Of course one should say that 48->96 should just be possible, but this is not so easy as you may think. The point is, when *you* (so, not me as the developer) run into a situation like this, you can have AntiImage engaged, and then it is just not supported (by me). So, then what ? then the digital output goes dark. This, while it would be very well possible with Arc Prediction ! But, you didn't choose that, so, no output.

This is only one little example, and even when a combination is not supported, it requires explicit attention because it has to be blocked. This is a bit different from before 0.9z because all was rather elementary (but still with dozens of combinations). Now, with the hires upsampling it can't be elementary anymore, just because of too many combinations (and don't underestimate the addition of 352.8 and 705.6 which just doubles the upsampling possibilities for one base (like 44100) alone.
Now, hopping over from one base sample rate (44100) to the other (48000) not only introduces the dimension of the necessity for the other upampling means (Anti Image), but in the mean time also needs the explicit attention of the upsampling which is a filter ! So, I can't just say "oh, this is 88200 to 192000 he wants, so let's do that". It needs a pass band, a roll off area, a steepness which implies more/less ringining, and it all needs to be tested and actually "measured" for the results. And above that, these things hardly can be tested at all, because they go beyond the capabilities of any audio analyzing software.

Allright, this is a lot of blahblah to tell you that I sure could support the one or two main needs in this area. So, I really can. But the point is that it will be difficult for yourself to oversee what will be needed, or what will be needed in a couple of months. And the worst of all is : you are always doing it wrong ! You shouldn't let the system decide on an ad-hoc base which upsampling means is used, just because coincidentally your selected means is not supported. I honestly think you should decide for Arc Prediction, and get yourself a DAC that copes with that. Or, use Anti Imaging because you like that better, but don't upsample the already "anti imaged" files again because it can't bring you anything (and this should include all the hires material !).

All 'n all, it is the 96/192 only DAC that creates your problems, or mine if you want. Happy It can't be justified I think.
And lastly, don't forget that even Arc Prediction can't work for, say, everybody but me, never mind most people like it for the better. If you were a woman (which is unlikely for a guytou1 Happy) you would faint instantly when you hear what can be achieved with it, once applied how it should (NOS 192 blabla). Haha.

One more last thing in this I'm afraid vague post :
I realize that it is formost important that your playlist keeps on playing automatically, no matter what DAC you have. So, it is in this area where rather many things will appear to have changed for 0.9z-3. I will now look into your 96/192 Only situation what can be done about that to improve.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
guytou1
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:12:36 am »

Hi,
Yes, indeed I can understand, it takes too much time to see every special combination.
At present I use more "Arc Prediction", but it can change again in the future.
With a rate of 44,1, 48, 88,2 or 176,4  I need to turn on the Sample Rate Converter of my "Power" DAC (or digital amplifier) but OK, it works not bad.
Here, I like to explain an other problem, but it's not not a problem with high priority.
It happend when reading some 48k files, with arc prediction.
      - fs * 1 : XX displays "input 48k, output 48k" and my DAC displays 48k
      - fs * 2 : XX displays "input 48k, output 96k" and my DAC displays 96k
      - fs * 4 : XX displays "input 48k, output 192k" and my DAC displays 176k ; the music is 10% slower with a tone shift.
I use a M2TECH Hiface.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:05:29 am »

Hello again Happy

I can't guarantee it, but to me it looks best to anticipate on 0.9z-3 doing this allright, or IOW, it is not your DAC. As I said before, I found many anomalies in the 48 base area, and this could have been one of them. In either case I will check whether it goes allright at this moment, and of not, will solve it.

Thank you,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: