XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 19, 2024, 05:16:12 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Power conditioner or power socket outlet  (Read 7736 times)
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:04:21 pm »

What's your experience in this area? I'm working on a shortlist of equipment to try in my system and would appreciate your recommendations.

Greets,
Marcin
easternlethal
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 03:36:53 am »

I'm not sure I understand of power filters or conditioners when you can get an ac regenerator (see pure power 2000). I am about try one out myself.

[PC: Win7Ultimate 64 bit - SP1 Spinning Disk (no SSD)/Intel dual core/XXver.09Z-4-00 Settings: Adaptive/1024/Q1:1024/Arc Prediction + Peak Extension/Quad/SFS=2/Mixed/Unattended/12ms/Scheme 3] [Audio Chain: Weiss Dac 2 (via firewire) - Holfi 1.5.1 & NB1 - JBL 4428]
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 11:23:31 am »

Yes, I hear good things about Pure Power 2000/1050, but they're not available in my country.

So far on my list:
- Shunyata Hydra V-ray
- MIT Powerbar
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 06:34:00 pm »

Hi there,

Before investing big amount of $$ into power conditioner which gives you a blacker black background and noise free listening, you should try to have a dedicated AC circuit running to your audio components. By dedicated I mean you have to rewire largest diameter good quality power cable you can from the main distribution board to your listening room/station. I use three 16 mm2 THW cable , one for line, one for neutral and one for ground. You have to ground properly as well using at least three 1.5 m ground rods. I also use specially treated (cryogenic) circuit breaker for this circuit. No refrigerator, air-cond or any home equipment using motor plugged into this circuit. I know it is hard but my house has 3 phase power supply and I can select the circuit that does not run those equipments that may generate RF or EMI during my listening time of the day.  You should also use hospital grade recepticle as well. Brand like hubble or marinco. If you can afford Wattgate or Oyaide, it's a great investment.

The rationale behind this is that you are trying to minimize the source of RF or EMI in the power supply to your audio gears. If you can do this, you may not need power conditioner which is some sort of filtering system comprising large bus bar, capacitor, varister and circuit breaker. All these can down grade sound quality, unless the conditioner uses top grade component like Nichikon or Mundoff capacitor which is bloody expensive. Even, Shuyata Hydra doesn't use this grade of component and it carries outrageous price tag.

The best way to buy a power conditioner is to borrow a demo unit from your dealer and listen to the improvement. If none, don't spend the money. But you have to improve your power line first.

Hope this can help.
Praphan

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 09:08:41 am »

Of course I'll borrow a demo unit first. I'm not gonna throw $2k away... Setting up a dedicated line for my system would be great, but right now, I won't be able to do that. Thanks for your advice anyway Happy
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: