XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 01:34:13 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 9-Z3  (Read 136169 times)
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2010, 04:05:45 pm »

cPlay uses Address Windowing Extensions (AWE) to allocate RAM to music files during playback (Lock pages in memory).

Hehehe - you have not been paying attention to what I wrote above? Happy

Large Pages is NOT the same as AWE: With AWE you still get fragmented memory! Not so here Happy

To verify, I just downloaded cicsPlay.exe and I'm afraid it is as fragmented as any player - regardless whether it is in AWE or non-AWE mode...

PS
Why did you set affinity to 1?

Well spotted!
Mea culpa: I was playing with affinity settings and uploaded the wrong file - I have now re-uploaded it to the post! (it's now set to 2 as I only have a dual-core but you can of course change it)

As you very well know from your experiments affinity does seem to influence SQ and it also works with these tiny players: I'm just not 100% certain whether that registry setting works, however....
Maybe you can double-check on your 6-core audio-monster and let us know?  Wink
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »

jplay2 sounds better for sure 

Wow - that was quick indeed! (but coming from you I'd expect nothing less Happy )
So, 0:1 so far, let's see if we can get some more opinions....
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2010, 04:39:37 pm »

I'll give this a go this evening. Really interested in hearing the difference...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2010, 04:40:56 pm »

Josef,

Don't want to be picky, but shouldn't it be hexadecimal? (affinity)
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 02, 2010, 05:38:43 pm »

Don't want to be picky, but shouldn't it be hexadecimal? (affinity)

?
It doesn't matter, does it?
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 02, 2010, 06:14:39 pm »

I don't know :D I'm used to hexadecimal values as I spent much time with IRQ affinity tool...
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 02, 2010, 07:06:07 pm »

I don't know :D I'm used to hexadecimal values as I spent much time with IRQ affinity tool...

You're getting geeky  Wink
No, Decimal or Hex does not matter: what matters is how it looks in binary....
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #112 on: December 02, 2010, 11:43:20 pm »

Josef, wow! That is one clean sounding player! Well actually two, one of which is clearer better than the other. My strong preference is for JPlay2. And yes, as soon as another application is opened, JPlay2 struggles to play.

Marcin, Ivo (and many others I'm sure): yes you're all absolutely right - XX sounds much better when files are copied manually to RAM and then played directly from there, with 'Copy to XX...' and 'Don't Play...' left unchecked.

I compared XX Engine#3/Q1=0 (playing a file manually copied to RAM) vs. JPlay2. XX sounds fuller and more musical, but JPlay sounds cleaner. JPlay sits on my SSD c: drive, along with the OS. I tried to play it from my RAM drive, but couldn't get the command prompt to recognise the RAM drive.

Mani.

[All listening conducted on my Atom PC with RME AES-32, whilst my main PC is upgraded ready for the NOS1!]

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2010, 12:04:18 am »

Mani,

XXHE sounds more musical, because you use SFS.ini=21 and larger SFS. Set the SFS.ini to 00, SFS to 12 MB, Scheme-1 and try again Happy You might discover the opposite. And make sure to manually copy the tracks to RAMdisk.

Cheers,
Marcin
christoffe
Audio Addict

View Profile Email
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2010, 02:26:15 am »

Mani,

XXHE sounds more musical, because you use SFS.ini=21 and larger SFS.

Hello,

you guys have really good ideas.
The SQ with the copied files to the RAM disc is superior.

Explanation for this phenomeon. Less jitter?

best

Joachim
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2010, 02:44:49 pm »

Josef, wow! That is one clean sounding player! Well actually two, one of which is clearer better than the other. My strong preference is for JPlay2.

Eh, player was not meant to enter into competition with XX but rather establish whether RAM fragmentation can influence quality of music playback - However Mani, thanks for kind words! (btw I also find myself preferring it over XX in KS mode - weird...)

So, it's 0:2 now and I guess I can also give my score as cat is out of the bag now, which makes it 0:3.
I was hoping more people would post (like, ehm, Peter? Happy )  so we could make this even stronger statistically (there's been 12 downloads by now).

But anyway, 0:3 is not that bad either and hopefully proves the point that RAM fragmentation can & does influence quality of music playback even though the code that is being executed as well as data streams themselves are both 'bit-perfect'.

Hopefully this ought to help everyone understand better the 'mysteries' of why various SFS settings and manual vs 'XX-Copy to disk' have an effect.
And I've certainly had some fun and also learned something new in the process - hope you did too!
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2010, 02:48:11 pm »

Maybe statistically a bit weak, but a phenomenal find nevertheless Josef. Thanks for sharing.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2010, 04:09:54 pm »

I was hoping more people would post (like, ehm, Peter?  Happy)

Yes of course, but you know ... I don't like A-B stuff in the first place, I'm quite busy with other (DAC) priorities at this moment, and I thought to accept the outcome anyway. Also, with that I don't like the A-B stuff, my outcome will not be reliable (I'd really need 5 days to listen to one situation, and another 5 to the other).

What I will do though, is incorporate it in 0.9z-4. In fact, I already believed in it before you started this (great work and great thanks btw !). Now all I need to find is something which mimics that copying. My current means apparently doesn't cut it, but what will ? If someone could tell me *that*, I'd build that in instantly as well. Could be a simple copy command at some stage, but where exactly ?
Also, I didn't take any time (A-B) for this as well, for the same reason as explained.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
goon-heaven
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2010, 07:01:12 pm »

Thanks Josef for the super-clean player.
Have not been able to break it, running along browsers/outlook/delphi.
It does not appear too hungry either.
Are you developing it further?
Can we have a version supporting smaller buffer sizes please? i.e. from 32 up?

7Ultimate 64bit on Patriot Torq 128 SSD, XX on 2Gb RAMDisk, music on NAS, i7-860 HT Off / Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 1(32 samples)/0/0/0/0 Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 Attended / FileSplit 1Gb / -> LynxTWO-B buffer size 32 -> EmmLabs DCC2 SE
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2010, 09:32:21 pm »

I'm quite busy with other (DAC) priorities at this moment, and I thought to accept the outcome anyway. Also, with that I don't like the A-B stuff, my outcome will not be reliable (I'd really need 5 days to listen to one situation, and another 5 to the other).

DAC is probably taking a lot of your time - I understand and wish you best of luck!

I don't like A/B stuff myself and also prefer looooong listening periods before making up an opinion - However, this RAM fragmentation thing really hit me immediately: I admit, I didn't expect such a difference at all and was completely taken aback! (a nice way of saying I've decided to post those players to check if I had too much wine Happy ) To my relief, both Marcin & Mani not only confirmed my findings but both expressed strong preference just like I did - tnx guys:)

Anyway, whenever you have time please do try it. And, since you prefer longer sessions (and perhaps there are other people too) the limit of 1 WAV might be an issue: If you'd like to play multiple WAVs then simply copy them to same folder where players are and do this:

- in command prompt (in folder where both players & WAVs are) type: notepad jplay.bat
- Then copy/paste this line:
forfiles /M *.wav /c "cmd /c jplayer2 --file @file"
- Save & Close

From now on you only have to type 'jplay' and all WAVs in folder will be played (substitute jplayer2 with jplayer1 as you see fit).
Don't expect 100% gapless as WAVs are loaded one by one so there's an inherent delay but it should suffice for purpose of the experiment.....

Personally, since I experienced what contiguous RAM can do for PC playback I find myself troubled when listening to any player.....(incl XX)..... Yes, yes, I know, it sounds radical and I don't want to start a controversy here so let's just say it's how it seems to me at the moment, ok?  Wink

And that's why it's really great to hear you will be incorporating these findings into XX! (as mentioned in SFS posts last week it might be a bit of a challenge as RAM will have to be allocated all at once in a e.g. service but I'm sure all XX-fans will aprreciate it once it's there - btw one more reason to get as much participants for this experiment as possible!).
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10  All
  Print  

Jump to: