XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 02:52:03 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Purepower 2000  (Read 50039 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: November 01, 2010, 02:45:51 pm »

I've just ordered a 'Purepower 2000' unit (not cheap at £2500). This is a true AC regenerator, totally isolated from the mains by a battery. My main interest is in feeding clean power to my ADC/DAC, which draws ~200W. But I'm going to try connecting as many devices with linear PSs to it as possible, including my power amp.

Will let you know what I think...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Marcin_gps
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 12:19:29 pm »

Good luck with that! I have MIT Z Powerbar in my system now, but don't like it at all.
Telstar
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 01:16:00 pm »

subscribed.

(2nd Apr 2018)
Software:
W10 14393 Pro x64 | XXHE 2.10 | MinOS | Q=14x1/0/0/0/0 | SFS 5,19 mixed contiguous | Nervous rate 1 | 4096k buffer |

Hardware:
OrigenAE H5 case | E5300 fanless |  8GB RAM | Winmate DC-DC fanless PSU | OS on SSD | Renesas USB3 pcie card | Belden highspeed usb cable | Audio-gd dac19 NOS with sigxer F1 | My_ref_FE mono amps | Albedo Apex speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 11:01:22 am »

I've had the weekend to play around with the PurePower 2000i. Overall, I like the change in sound. It's 'calmer' and a lot less 'edgy'. The sound stage seems to have been pushed right back, and the sound itself is less in your face - more laid back. It seems to be accentuating the LF region and attenuating the HF region, which I really like. Since getting it, I've tended to load an album and just listen to it all the way through, which is a really good sign.

With my whole system plugged into the unit, I can run it for ~10 minutes by unplugging the 2000i from the wall and using it's internal battery. What's interesting is that there is absolutely no change in sound when the unit is plugged back into the wall. This is a very good sign IMO.

However, it seeems that I've lost some dynamics. This is actually quite hard to figure out. Is this down to the removal of edgy distortion, or is it a compression of dynamic peaks, which has been the universal criticism of other power cleaning devices? I'm not sure. I can say though that the protection circuits in my Quad speakers seem to be kicking in more often. I attribute this to the increased LF energy and the fact that I'm tending to listen at higher volumes now because the sound is so laid back and easy on the ear.

My biggest concern though is the output voltage from the 2000i. In compliance with EU regulations, it outputs a rock steady 230V (even when unplugged from the wall). Ordinarily, this is great. However, my power-amp, pre-amp and ADC/DAC only have switchable 100V, 120V, 220V and 240V inputs. So, I can set them to 220V and have them overvolted by 10V, or set them to 240V and have them undervolted by 10V. Theoretically, a 5% difference shouldn't make a difference of course. But IME, undervolting seems to provide a more laid-back sound... which is exactly what I'm getting. Now the 2000i can output 240V, but this is set at the factory. I will contact PurePower to see if this is something I can do easily. If so, I'd like to increase the output to 240V.

Any thoughts welcome.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 08:22:50 pm »

UPDATE

Firstly, I contacted the PurePower guys a couple of weeks ago. They were ultra-responsive and very helpful. With their help, I easily managed to increase the output of the PP2000 up to a constant 240V. It was obvious the moment I switched the PP2000 back on that all equipment set specifically to 240V is happier running at exactly 240V, rather than being ‘undervolted’ by 10V. (I'm totally aware that this equipment uses voltage regulators and that a 5% undervoltage should not matter.)

The dynamics are back!

In the last couple of weeks, I’ve managed to get a few moments to sit and listen to music. I’ve also managed to compare running the system from the PP2000 vs. straight from the wall. The PP2000 easily beats the wall. The sound is ‘cleaner’, more solid and, perhaps most importantly, more harmonically rich. It’s just more enjoyable and rewarding to listen to. In comparison, from the wall, the sound is thin and edgy. Maybe this is purely psychological, but it really does seem as if the music is being corrupted by noise.

I will repeat this comparison once the new mains circuit is in place. This should improve the performance of the system running off the wall. However, I suspect the PP2000 will benefit also.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 08:51:40 pm »

It was obvious the moment I switched the PP2000 back on that all equipment set specifically to 240V is happier running at exactly 240V, rather than being ‘undervolted’ by 10V.

Who would have thought that ...

(yeah, you Happy)

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2010, 02:02:23 am »

I am happy to hear about your findings.
I am planning to feed all my (low level) components from a PP (except my 3 huge power amps).

Some Norwegian users have reported failure problems/lot's of defect units from PP. Hopefully this quality issue has been solved by now.
If so, it's listed on my 2011 budget!

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 03:53:43 pm »

UPDATE

I've had my PP2000 for around 4 months, so I thought I'd post my findings to date.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure if I can fully recommend this product.

Although I haven't really tested the direct wall mains AC vs. the PP2000 regenerated AC (I've been waiting for my dedicated mains supply to be installed first), I have compared (quite extensively) the regenerated AC vs. the battery AC. What really, really bothers me is that there is a big difference in sound between these two. And it's not totally obvious which sounds better... it depends.

For example, I've been listening to Special vs. Adaptive in 0.9z-4-1. Now to my ears, Special sounds 'drier' and more 'wooden', Adaptive 'wetter' and more 'metallic'. However, my overall preference very much depends on which mode the PP2000 is set to. If it's in regenerated AC mode, then I prefer Special. If it's in battery mode, then I prefer Adaptive.

What really cheeses me off about the PP2000 is that there is a difference at all between the two modes. PurePower claims that there isn't. But there obviously is! And hence why I can't fully recommend this product.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 02:21:38 pm »

UPDATE

I've had my PP2000 for around 4 months, so I thought I'd post my findings to date.

Hmmmm... I'm not sure if I can fully recommend this product.

Although I haven't really tested the direct wall mains AC vs. the PP2000 regenerated AC (I've been waiting for my dedicated mains supply to be installed first), I have compared (quite extensively) the regenerated AC vs. the battery AC. What really, really bothers me is that there is a big difference in sound between these two. And it's not totally obvious which sounds better... it depends.

For example, I've been listening to Special vs. Adaptive in 0.9z-4-1. Now to my ears, Special sounds 'drier' and more 'wooden', Adaptive 'wetter' and more 'metallic'. However, my overall preference very much depends on which mode the PP2000 is set to. If it's in regenerated AC mode, then I prefer Special. If it's in battery mode, then I prefer Adaptive.

What really cheeses me off about the PP2000 is that there is a difference at all between the two modes. PurePower claims that there isn't. But there obviously is! And hence why I can't fully recommend this product.

Mani.

Hi Mani,

Which of your components are fed from the PP2000?

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2011, 11:11:55 pm »

Hi Pedal,

I've actually tried all sorts of combinations, including running my PC from the PP2000. But right now, I have the NOS1 and my power amp connected to the PP2000 (no preamp). I'll experiment more with different combinations once my dedicated mains circuit is completed (hopefully soon, but I've said that many times before).

I just can't help wondering whether some of the issues that we're trying to solve (e.g. a 'forward' sound) are actually problems induced by our mains electricity supplies. But this really is a whole 'can of worms' - no one seems to have any idea on how the mains electricity affects sound. It seems that a perfect sinewave is not sufficient for good sound. Some people have suggested that even snow on the ground (and/or on overhead power cables) seems to improve the sound. Because of temperature? Because an electromagnetic wave is passing through a crystalline structure? Who knows...

But there really does seem to be something weird going on with electricity...

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2011, 11:25:48 pm »

Mani, FYI, I have just sorted this out - sort of. Took me a whole month together with one of our respected members here, but things ARE going on indeed. Just wait. Please ...

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Suteetat
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2011, 11:01:43 am »

I have been experimenting a bit with power conditioners including PS Audio Powerpack 1600 (similar idea to PurePower2000 but much cheaper,
not sure if it would perform at the same level, probably not!). A friend was also trying Purepowr2000 with his VTL 7.5 preamp and EMM XDS1.
So far, I found that any kind of active conditioner (regenerators etc) seems to have both positive and negative effect. Background tends to be more quite, better detail but loss of dynamic can be bothersome and often the sound is more shut in. (my observation only and only on those I I tried so far).

I find passive conditioning much better and seems to have less impact on dynamic but most still decrease dynamic to certain extent.

The best thing I found so far is Isoclean Isolation transformer. Everything becomes more quiet, much better detail and does not seems to limit current at all. My friend is using his on Plinius 1000w monoblocks with no problem at all. I am using 2, one each on my monoblock and one more for all the sources.

Isoclean also comes with 220v, 230v and 240v tabs. At 220v, the sound is more laid back but a bit lethargic in comparison to 240v.

I think that something like Purepower2000 is probably not going to like heavy load like power amplifier very much. One main problem with battery is always that it can deliver steady voltage but cannot go up and down on very demanding dynamic passage quickly unless lots of capacitor banks are used.

A lot of my friends are also experimenting with having separate ground rod just for dedicated audio circuit ( I am not one of them since I am in an apartment building) and reported significant improvement.

Electricity is definitely an annoying thing and tampering with it definitely pays dividens but unfortunately most will have both positive and negative effects.

Intel i7 950 12GB DDR3 triple channel, Win7 64bit sp1 on SSD,
firewire -> Weiss INT202 -> Playback MPS-5-> ??

0.9z-4, KS-adaptive, buffer 256, Q1=1, no oversampling, SFS 100, straight contiguous,
minimum Clock Resolution, Scheme 2
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2011, 11:26:09 am »

The best thing I found so far is Isoclean Isolation transformer. Everything becomes more quiet, much better detail and does not seems to limit current at all. My friend is using his on Plinius 1000w monoblocks with no problem at all. I am using 2, one each on my monoblock and one more for all the sources.

Isoclean also comes with 220v, 230v and 240v tabs. At 220v, the sound is more laid back but a bit lethargic in comparison to 240v.
Interesting product. I wonder how it gets rid of RF without any electronic parts. It seems to be a transformator that normaly should stop only DC component.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
Suteetat
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2011, 02:52:35 pm »

Interesting product. I wonder how it gets rid of RF without any electronic parts. It seems to be a transformator that normaly should stop only DC component.

I have no idea exactly how it works but 4-5 friends of mine who auditioned Isoclean, everybody ended up buying them.
Our local dealer actually came to our places to install them for home demo first. The friend who used Purepower also took out his Purepower and
replaced it with Isoclean. 

Intel i7 950 12GB DDR3 triple channel, Win7 64bit sp1 on SSD,
firewire -> Weiss INT202 -> Playback MPS-5-> ??

0.9z-4, KS-adaptive, buffer 256, Q1=1, no oversampling, SFS 100, straight contiguous,
minimum Clock Resolution, Scheme 2
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2011, 04:54:59 pm »

Mani, FYI, I have just sorted this out - sort of. Took me a whole month together with one of our respected members here, but things ARE going on indeed. Just wait. Please ...

Happy to wait. Very interested in hearing about your findings.

Meanwhile, my new hifi mains circuit should be coming online this weekend. It's fed right from the mains inlet to the house, is isolated from the inlet with a 15KVA (yes, 15000VA) triple-shielded isolation transformer and has a dedicated ionic grounding system (<5 Ohms impedance). All components will be 'star grounded' to maintain virtually zero potential difference between them. At a total cost of around €7000 (parts + installation), it had better be an improvement over a straight PP2000! I'll let you know...

Mani.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:44:07 am by manisandher » Logged

Main System:
Office System:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: