XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 29, 2024, 08:02:17 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: JPlay Part Deux: A new controversy?...  (Read 56342 times)
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 06, 2010, 09:32:22 pm »

Flecko: Thank you for your observations!

Was it done before you found jumpers to disable oversampling or after?
And could I bug you for 32 vs 64 bit test?

It was done before the oversampling changes (8xOs with filter).
Now I use 4xOs with filter. The sound is very different now. Much more highs. will do the 32/64 test later. I must buy some food now :starving:
greetings

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 07, 2010, 01:01:31 am »

Josef: My system priority has programs selected, I see your pic has backround services selected. Which is preferable for jplay and/or xx?
In principle, this shouldn't have an effect - However, it IS messing around with _very_ important parts in a running system as opposed to Background setting which leaves things more 'at ease' so to say Happy

Uh, uh - I should have gone with my gut instinct about that 'more at ease' part.....

Believe it or not, I actually planned to change that setting to Background directly in latest jplay: I decided against it as setting & reverting back whatever user had before (there are a few more possibilities besides Foreground/Background) meant manipulating Registry which means I'd be messing with users machine and I don't like that..... Even worse, I would be manipulating a setting that affects ALL processes! No way in hell....

But, as chance would have it, I am now in the process of testing a new tweak specifically targeting Windows 7 & 2008R2 users and which (surprise, surprise) is going to be yet another first among _any_ PC audio players  Wink

As I was perusing needed literature I also read some parts on these 'Priority' settings which is important to understand in order to 'predict' the impact of this new tweak. Long story short:

I think I can now see a rather plausible theoretical reason why JPlay should preferably be run with Background setting!

Uh, oh, ah -  Does that sound like yet another controversyShocked
Betcha!  clapping

In fact, in the new episode of "JPlayer Controversy" series I will also reveal how you can push Windows to the MAX (in terms of making it 'sweat' the most, LOL) so, once again, you can be the judge for yourself and decide what/if these mysterious 'Priority settings' can do for SQ! (and test it very easily too   Cool )

BrianG
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 07, 2010, 02:52:21 pm »

Chaps can state of mind effect how we perceive the sound of things:

The aussies are getting pummelled by the poms in the cricket so I took a break from viewing that and had a play with JPlay64 on my music server ( running Vista 64 ).

unhappy

but if Calibrator had said:

The aussies are "pummelling" the poms in the cricket so I took a break from viewing that and had a play with JPlay64 on my music server ( running Vista 64 ).

Happy

perhaps we need to know what state of mind people are in to understand their comments too?

Wink

January 5, 2011
*W7 64bit SP1 on SSD*, XX on 1.2GB RAMDisk (Copy to XX-drive = On), music on SATAII, i3-530 HT Off / Engine#4 *Special Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 16 (samples)/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 3* @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=100* @ *SFS.ini = 00* -> PC-to-I2S Driver latency 512 samples @352800 -> 24/384 Phasure NOS1 DAC -> pre-amp ->main amps
Flecko
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2010, 07:43:08 pm »

I made a short test between the 32 and 64 bit version. If there is a difference in how they sound, it is very smal. Maby 64 is a tiny bit better but this is in the range of imagination/placebo.

Software: Windows7 Ultimatex64SP1 | XXHighend 9z9b
Hardware: | Gigabyte X79-UD3 | i7-3820 | 16 GB DDR3 | OS on 128 GB Samsung SSD 830  | Music on 2TB WD Caviar Green | Seasonic X-660

XXHE Settings: | Engine 4 | Adaptive | Buffer=1024 | Q12345=[14,0,0,0,0] | xQ1=1 | Q5=3 | Scheme=3 | Mixed Contiguous with SFS=12 | 176.4kHz32bit | ArcPred + Peakextend | Clock=1ms |
Calibrator
Audio Enthusiast

Certified tweakaholic

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 08, 2010, 02:33:33 am »

perhaps we need to know what state of mind people are in to understand their comments too?

Wink

haha ... hi Brian,

the woeful performance of the aussies in the recent match merely allowed me to play with JPlay earlier than anticipated, but you do bring up a valid point about state of mind when listening to music. I'm sure we've all had those days when the music just seems to have lost it's sparkle, yet the previous day everything was great.

The human mind is a complex beast and I've learned to accept that our perception of some things can change from day to day. It also illustrates why it is prudent to judge differences in sound quality over a period of a few days rather than an individual snapshot. It's quite possible that the same comparison today may bring forth a difference result, but the purpose of my comparison a couple of days ago was to give some immediate feedback.

Cheers all,

Russ       

(Sep 26th 2012) (0.9z-7-4 )
Parameters (0.9z-7-4) ->Coming soon...
Parameters (0.9z-6-1) ->Same as for 0.9z-6
Parameters (0.9z-6) ->http://members.iinet.net.au/~calibrator/XXHE/XXHE_parms_(0.9z-6).jpg
Hardware: Asus P5Q, H2O cooled 3.6GHz C2D, 8GB ram, W7 Ult X64 (NO SP1), O/S plus Galleries on 2x(OCZ 60GB Vertex2) -> ESI Juli@ (v0.978 drivers @ 48 samples) -> coax SPDIF -> Integra DHC-9.9 -> Hafler XL600 -> SGR Audio S-series Octagons -> aural organs -> nucleus accumbens sounds good !

====================
Turntables .. how quaint bored
BrianG
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 08, 2010, 05:38:49 pm »

Hi Russ,

Some very valid points and I was enjoying the test match results the opposite to you of course (any chance we get to beat the aussies is a bonus)  Happy

OffTopic

The other day I found an old hard drive that I had marked with a sticker many years ago.  The sticker was meant to make the drive "friend and not foe", stay with me, as the theory was that the music would be better received from something that wasn't a possible threat.   At the time I did it I didn't see, feel, sense any difference and put it down to snake oil.  This must be 5 years ago and when I saw the sticker I immediately felt relaxed about the hard drive, a warm, this is my friend kind of thing.  Very odd and I know it's not scientific or rational but that's the way it was for me, something had been implanted and I triggered the response dntknw

Sorry chaps, back to the JPlay
Brian

January 5, 2011
*W7 64bit SP1 on SSD*, XX on 1.2GB RAMDisk (Copy to XX-drive = On), music on SATAII, i3-530 HT Off / Engine#4 *Special Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 16 (samples)/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 3* @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=100* @ *SFS.ini = 00* -> PC-to-I2S Driver latency 512 samples @352800 -> 24/384 Phasure NOS1 DAC -> pre-amp ->main amps
Chriss
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2010, 05:20:46 pm »

One fast question Josef,
I can play anly 3 tracks at a time ( I'm ok with it) but why everytime when I copy new 2 or 3 tracks I have to reboot?

* jplay.jpg (95.74 KB, 1024x768 - viewed 1038 times.)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2010, 05:32:11 pm »

In case Josef isn't around (allow me please) ...
This would be normal; It is about the "necessity" Josef talked about earlier that the player always keeps on running, so it can re-use its own memory. You now restart it, and in the mean time the memory is too scattered to allocate enough contigious memory.

I think I myself can work around this, but I'm not at that point yet (not much time either).

HTH,
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Josef
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2010, 01:10:10 am »

One fast question Josef,
I can play anly 3 tracks at a time ( I'm ok with it) but why everytime when I copy new 2 or 3 tracks I have to reboot?

Hi Chriss,

Peter pretty much answered your question - I can only add that jplay experiment is meant to demonstrate  & get feedback on so far unused software techniques that apparently (as everyone so far is attesting) have a positive effect on SQ. I never expected it to sound as good as it does and as I spent only a week or so on it I think you'll understand why it may not work all the time.

Having said that, I am myself annoyed when this happens (e.g. on my 'dev setup') and maybe I will look into fixing this (which is interesting to me as, in a sense, the fix will benefit SQ) but I have some other priorities on my mind at the moment so there are no promises...

In the meantime, if you are interested in a 'quick fix', have a look at my 'audio-only vLited Vista' post - I played many tracks on that setup and never encountered this annoying Windows issue.... (similar steps can be taken with Win7 if you prefer that OS: just keep in mind that 'less running processes = less chance of memory fragmentation'...)

Chriss
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2010, 12:21:02 pm »

Thanks for the awnsers Peter and Josef,
you're my new PC Audio GURU's (I'm not joking Happy )
Regards, Criss.
Per
Audio Loudspeaker

Music is forever...

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2010, 05:32:38 pm »

...and in the mean time the memory is too scattered to allocate enough contigious memory.

Would the Gamebooster utility be of any use - defragmenting RAM? Have at look at this thread

http://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=1400.0

I am using version 1.6 as I do not feel comfortable with the new version 2.0 GUI  - says I that use XXHE 0.9y-8 for the same reason  Wink I find that XXHE and other programs are running faster and smoother but I do not have a tweaked Vista, so the only benefit for those who do - will probably be the RAM defrag. Thanks to Calibrator for mentioning Gamebooster in the first place.

Happy Holliday

Per

Sep 2010
Acer Aspire M1201 | AMD Athlon Dual Core 4450e 2.30 ghz | 2GB RAM | Hitachi HDD (SATAII) 384GB | Vista Home Premium 32 bit SP2 | XXHighEnd 0.9y-8  Engine 4 | Q1/2/3/4/5= 14/14/7/0/0 | No Invert | KS Mode=Adaptive | Device Buffer Size=1024 | Split file=60 | DAC at 24 bit 44.1 khz | No Invert | No Upsampling | Playerprio=Low | Threadprio=Realtime | Scheme=3 @ Attended | -> PCI AudioTrak HD2 Advance DE | -> Sony EarPhones and Philips PC-speakers ;-)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: