XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 18, 2024, 07:37:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Question About Process Priority  (Read 21633 times)
edward
Audio Loudspeaker

Let's Be Near . . . The Atmosphere

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:03:43 am »

Peter, I hope this question wasn't already answered somewhere else on the forum, but here it is:

I know in XXHE you can select Player Priority (which I have selected RealTime). When I’m playing music and I look at the Task Manager, it shows Realtime priority just fine. However, of course, when a song starts playing XXEngine3.exe shows up in the Task Manager. This has a priority of “Normal”. Is that how it’s supposed to work? Or is it supposed to be running at Realtime? Or does it matter? Can we force it to run in Realtime?

BTW, in XXHE, Thread Priority is greyed out and cannot be changed. I assume this is normal?

Thanks for a clarification.

Home built PC (Zalman TNN-300 Silent Case = Intel E2160 - Dual Core 1.8GHz) => Vista (Home Premium) => RAMDisk => M-Audio Audiophile USB (AK4528 DAC) Latency 128 =>

April 19, 2008
0.9u-14a (Double, No Invert, Mem Unchecked, Volume -24dB ** Q1 = -1 ** Player Priority=Low ** Thread Priority=Realtime ** Core Appointment Scheme-1 ** Unattended)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 08:22:53 am »

Hi,

This is all how it's supposed to work;
The Player Priotity is for the controlling mechanism and the Thread Priority is for the Audio Engine itself.

The Player Priority really shouldn't be higher than the Thread Priority, because the Audio Engine then may suffer from the Player's tasks. So both should be in proper balance towards eachother, and further act within the system as a whole.

The priority of the Engine with #3 currently can not be changed for two main reasons :
1. I thought it really wasn't necessary because whatever I do with the system, it keeps on playing, and to my ears the same;
2. I have to make something for that which is different from #1 and #2.

You could say it is about the latter ony, but this is not true; there are (or will be) many settings for #3 in the near future, and all what's happening in there, happens at the lowest level. This means that wrong treatment of priorities will hang your system or can even hang itself. So in the #3 environment there's much more to it, *and* it isn't necessary IMO.

My tests were in a "normal" environment, meaning that no other realtime prio tasks were running, and all I did to shoot at the engine was with Normal priority. But, all does mean that your Realtime prio of the Player really should not be so. In your (#3) case it should Normal. Which brings me to this :

Usually one would set the Player Prio lower than - or equal to the Thread Prio. Furthermore, one would set the Player Prio by itsef at least one tad higher than Normal. Just to cause the tracks are loaded, and the thing (the controlling mechanism) does kind of realtime what you order it to, or quickly enough anyway. Now, since with #3 the Thread Prio can't be changed, the least I should "provide" is that the Player Prio is not allowed to change as well.
In the very end, of course, I should allow for changing the Thread Prio afterall ... yes.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2007, 06:08:47 pm by PeterSt » Logged

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 12:14:12 pm »

Because you know what the ratio of player to thread priority to be, maybe you should have them combined to a single option that has various levels of priority to choose from?  Just brainstorming here.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2007, 06:17:58 pm »

As you will have learned by now, the possibility to change the priority of Engine#3 is in there (0.9i).

Because you know what the ratio of player to thread priority to be, maybe you should have them combined to a single option that has various levels of priority to choose from?  Just brainstorming here.

Not really. Many things depends on the systems.
For #1 and #2 the priority of the Player is more important than for #3. But in either case the priority of the Player could degrade the Audio Engine. So actually the prio of the Player should be as low as possible (like shutting off other services to gain on quality), until it can't do its job in time (which would be preparing tracks, and even timing things).

Anyway, as far as I can tell so far, setting the thread priority to High for #3 really makes a difference.
Also, Vista is more "out of control" at doing things behind your back than I would like.

Lastly, IMHO currently we're at a next level of sound quality, so more "micro" stuff is becoming audible anyway. I'd still won't shut down services, but the Thread Priority is the least we should use now.
Times change ... yes

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
edward
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 09:06:46 am »

Peter - I actually prefer setting the (thread) priority of Engine #3 to Realtime. Although, I have to change it with the Task Manager since XXHighEnd only allows changing it as high as "highest" (which only goes to "High" in Task Manager). Can the "Realtime" option be included in the setting? And by the way, setting the player priority to "Nothing" just shows up as "Normal" in Task Manager. In fact, no matter what setting I choose in the player, it shows up as "Normal" in Task Manager.

Home built PC (Zalman TNN-300 Silent Case = Intel E2160 - Dual Core 1.8GHz) => Vista (Home Premium) => RAMDisk => M-Audio Audiophile USB (AK4528 DAC) Latency 128 =>

April 19, 2008
0.9u-14a (Double, No Invert, Mem Unchecked, Volume -24dB ** Q1 = -1 ** Player Priority=Low ** Thread Priority=Realtime ** Core Appointment Scheme-1 ** Unattended)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 10:47:30 am »

Hi Edward,

As it appeared, RealTime is just not possible in Vista. Not that I could find it. Maybe a registry tweak ? You can't do it by task manager and I can't do it by the program. In XP it can ...

"Nothing" means the program doesn't change it. So that's meant for external tweaking (like a startup parameter for the player (not the threads, that's not possible).

In fact, no matter what setting I choose in the player, it shows up as "Normal" in Task Manager.
Not sure, but I don't think that is true. You must first start playing to see it ! IOW, it always reverts to normal when playing stops (or is not at order).

?

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
edward
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 10:52:18 am »

Hi Edward,

As it appeared, RealTime is just not possible in Vista. Not that I could find it. Maybe a registry tweak ? You can't do it by task manager and I can't do it by the program.

What do you mean? I changed it to Realtime with Task Manager no problem.

And yes, I check it while it's playing.

April 19, 2008
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 11:08:17 am »

Huh ??
That would be the most strange ...

I forgot what Vista version you have ...

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
edward
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 11:15:34 am »

Huh ??
That would be the most strange ...

I forgot what Vista version you have ...

I'm using Vista Home Premium.

April 19, 2008
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 11:41:44 am »

You'd be having premium pirority then.
Djeez, what is this.

When I try to change to realtime (no matter what program) Vista tells me it is not allowed. "Set to High instead".

Since you can do it anyway, can you conveniently press Next or Stop ? I mean, does it respond correctly when running at realtime (XXEngine3.exe) ? Because if not, it's worthless anyway.

Sidenote : I had it all build in, and had to remove it because it just did not work. Here ... Sad

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2007, 12:02:21 pm »

When I try to change to realtime (no matter what program) Vista tells me it is not allowed. "Set to High instead".

Sidenote : I had it all build in, and had to remove it because it just did not work. Here ... Sad

Hi Peter,

Realtime works on my PC too (and #3 is running like that but it has to be changed for each track manually...)

So, build it in again for the PC's where it does work...  Wink

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2007, 12:04:49 pm »

Hi Bert, thanks.

What about your Player Priority ? can you change that effectively ? (from within XX).

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 07:18:19 pm »

If all is ok ... fixed in 0.9i-1
(but mind Vista and just not allowing it ! like with me ... unhappy)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
edward
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 10:29:24 pm »

It's fixed!

Thanks Peter, I can now set thread (engine #3) priority to Realtime and player priority to Below Normal and it stays that way in Task Manager.

Good job. How odd that it doesn't work for you.

April 19, 2008
SeVeReD
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:09 am »

It's fixed!

Thanks Peter, I can now set thread (engine #3) priority to Realtime and player priority to Below Normal and it stays that way in Task Manager.

Good job. How odd that it doesn't work for you.

Why do you set the Player Priority to Below Normal?  did I miss a thread giving a reason?  I understand setting Player priority to below the setting of Thread priority..

This is something I haven't spent much time evaluating other than thinking/feeling I like setting player to normal or above normal and thread to high or realtime.  I only have XXHE setup on the FE, so the computers not taxed at all.

0.9z-8-3a WAV/CUE files on HDDs via MB FW400>; Win7 pro ttp://www.phasure.com/index.php?topic=352.msg4021#msg4021); [XXHighEnd player  Qs 7, 0, 0, 0, 0; eng 4; adaptive; scheme#3; player priority low; thread priority realtime; clock res 5ms: SFS 420 Wink dac is 24/192 w/32bits; Play Unattended; Stop Services ticked; Wallpaper & Show Back ticked - Mirror Image unticked; Start Engine unticked;garbage collect ticked; copy files to XX-drive; *quad arc prediction upsampling*: straight contiguous:>PCI FW800 card>Fireface 800 DAC [latency 2048 samples for 176.4]; usb/ethernet/mb audio shut off @ MB
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: