XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 09:14:07 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Phasure NOS1 DAC (1 Hour) listening Experience  (Read 41650 times)
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« on: December 18, 2010, 09:22:40 pm »

All,  Happy new year !

Nearly three years ago i came in contact with Peter and his forum.
Back than i asked Peter his advice about a dac that i would like to buy. Peter said to me if you can wait some time i am planning to build a DAC myself. If i remember correctly he was talking about a year or so. Well we all now how that turned out  Wink
The three years where very special that because of the innumerable posts he wrote about the DAC and the dreaming about it that came allong with it. Dreaming about the DAC and how it will sound was all we could do! Not anymore! Today i was the first who could pick one up at his place. It feels very special to be one of the first. Imaging today for me as D-Day and i dropped my wife and my kids in Nijmegen and drove to Oene in a almost white Holland ( Lot of snow yesterday).  I drove with a bit pain im my stomach. I was thinking that it also is a bit said that the”journey” comes to an end today. No more building post anymore  unhappy But a new journey starts here and that is that almost in every country there will be one or a few of Peters dac's and even more important people who will enjoy this peace of artworkHappy

After one hour i arrived at Peters place and when i came in the room it was obvious that a lot of work was done here. At least 5 dac's where smiling at me and really that was not all Peter asked me to take a look in the basement. My chin dropped as far as he could sink. On a large desk there where 10 dac's in a row with in the middle the wife of Peter (Ciska)  who does the assembly and solder together with Peter. Imagine a room 14 by 6 meters and with a pile of 50? painted dac’s and all the other parts that combined will be the NOS1. So freaking special.  From some parts there are 1000 and more. That amount only to keep the NOS1 affordable. Really my deepest respect!

And than came the moment that i put the box containing the dac in the car. I really could not hold them up longer or else you guy’s have to wait a day longer.  Wink At home i unwrapped the box and screwed the new interface in te pc. I connected everything and did the installation that was required. That was really easy and almost no room for mistake’s.

Now there is 1 hour of listening exprerience behind me. And i like to write someting containing my first impressions!  I wrote something before but really this is the moment to judge. Home with my known speakers and amps.

The most beautiful sound i have ever heard in my whole life!    clapping

Every song is under so much control! There is no harshness wat so ever and there is much more bass. Like a thick blanket wich is drawn down from my speakers. Strange thing is though that my woofers look much more calmer and simultaneously there is a nice tight deep bass. Funny thing to mention is that at playing the number Get On from the album Yello-Motion Picture my woofers are under control where they before were NOT. Before i always kept my hand near the volume because of the strange movement of the woofers. As said now they just move a bit and i have never played so loud. The bass coming from them is so deep and nice to hear i almost can’t belive it.

Take Ibrahim Senso and his piano playing. Peter once said it was one of the best albums he has. I bought it and played it just now. There is so much much more body that it really feels that the piano is standing in front of me. You hear the wood and i think i hear him pushing on one of the pedals.
the enourmes amount of highs i am hearing is so strange, there are so much of them that i did not hear before and they sound the way they supposed to sound. What it is exactly i cannot tell you at the moment but it just feels like it. For now i will stop this took me 2 hours because of my poor English.

If you have the possibility to buy you really will not send it back! All i can say is that you really have to try it!

So back to some swinging here. ;-)
 love this

Peter and Ciska thanx for everything that you have done!  thankyou  good
« Last Edit: December 24, 2010, 12:31:58 pm by Gerard » Logged

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
ed linssen
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2010, 01:17:32 am »

All, 

Nearly three years ago i came in contact with Peter and his forum.
Back than i asked Peter his advice about a dac that i would like to buy. Peter said to me if you can wait some time i am planning to build a dac myself. If i remember correctly he was talking about a year or so. Well we all now how that turned out 
The three years where very special that because of the innumerable post he wrote about the Dac and the dreaming about it that came allong with it. dreaming  about it was all we could do. So not anymore today i was the first who could pick one up at his place. It feels very special to be one of the first. Imaging today as D-day and i dropped my wife and my kids in Nijmegen and drove to Oene in a almost white Holland ( Lot of snow yesterday).  I drove with a bit pain im my stomach  to Oene. I was thinking that it also is a bit said that the”journey” comes to an end today. No more building post anymore   But a new journey starts here and that is that gradually in every country there will be one or a few of Peters Dac’s. And even more important people who will enjoy this peace of art work.

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
 to both Peter and Gerard!
Happy Listening! (like Doede always says)

Ed

Dedicated music-PC: Asus P8Z77-M, Intel i7-3770K- W7 SP1-64bits and XXHighEnd 0.9-Z8-2 both on WD caviar black spinning disk(sata), music on WD caviar-black(sata),WaveIO Usb/I2S--  DDD1794 N O S DAC, 2 decks.192/24(Diy). IanCanada's FiFo in front of the Dac. (Buff3 dac,) Stereo.  Amp: DIY-transistor fully class A, about 20watts/channel. Speakers: rebuilt ESL Quad 63. 12345: 70000, Q1, Engine4,playerprio:LOW,threadprio:real time.Scheme3, Dac=24/192, at 16bits=24bits, pe,ss,st.serv,st.Eng.4,tt,arc pred 2x(4x). Adaptive Mode/straight cont. Buff 4096, Phase -, Clock 15ms, Balanced 43, Nerv. rate 100, Cool 1, Stable 0, Core 1, Optimal, SFS 1-160, Incl. garbage coll.,Start Playback during conversion, Stop all services.Minimised O.S.
GerardA
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2010, 01:33:14 am »

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S
 to both Peter and Gerard!
Happy Listening!

From me too!
And happy Christmas too, with a lot of happy listening!
Nice to share your experience! , but of course you have to go back to Peter and make some pictures of this immortal moment in the history of music reproduction!

Hope to be able to order this DAC too soon!

Gerard(A)

asrock ->intel 6700/4GB/Samsung 850 SSD/Win 10() Pro /XXHE 2.09  Special (32) Clock: max ,SFS: 4  MC, Q1 = 14, Q2,3,4,5=0,0,0,2 Quad AP, No Invert / Playerprio = Belownormal / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = 3 / Mixed contigious / Unattended -> Minidsp 2x4HD (IIR and FIR)->  Mivoc AM80 / 300B / gainclone -> TDL TL/Seas Excell/ScanSpeak
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2010, 09:29:12 am »

Thanx!!

I should pick my wife and kids up again today but there is so much snow falling last night that i guess it will be tuesday.  rofl

Every cd has to be played over again with all this "new" information.

Playing Eva Cassidy right now and man its like a angel is singing.  sounds good !

Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2010, 12:43:58 pm »

Ha die Gerard,

I can't be sure who is more glad, you or me. Happy
I just looked it up, and our first talks about a DAC were from September 2007. This was after a year of me typing, reasoning, "designing" already, and as we know 14 months later (November 2008) my first trial was there - based on some of the principles I wanted. It was already better than I ever heard on most aspects, but it was too noise and did not meet *all* I wanted. From there I could strip things off, replace things, had new DAC boards designed, and I guess one year ago I was as far as "this is it" with my own (of utmost importance) filtering, but still not the 24/384 I was hunting for. That came a little later, and in parallel I at last found some good means for a decent level of output without degrading sound. I guess I started to buy parts last May, and while all the parts were coming in I kept on trying things with a volume control. Even 3 weeks back (secret) I built another gain stage, and while it measured the best of all before attempts the sound became dead of it again. So, that failed. yes

It is true. All those steps -reported in that larger topic- are now behind us. There will be nothing new to read, as there will be nothing to write about with great enthusiasm. It's done. It works.
Now, for us here, it has become real stuff, with real responsibilities. Still, reading your story touches deeply. So yes, a first contact about this DAC, a very first payment with "urgency transfer" just for fun to *be* the first, and the very first to collect;
Until the very last moment (you in the car) I thought to make a photo of the first hand-over, but I thought it would be a stupid thing. I wish I had ...

I must also add that while you have been waiting and waiting, you also were the only one afraid of "how will it turn out in my listening room ?". My speakers are not yours, and how much will they contribute to the sound, that maybe never coming from your speakers. Worse it got in Amersfoort a few weeks back at that audio club, which certainly did not proove that the DAC could behave on a more normal type of speaker. Of course I had my explanations, but still. And so I imagined your day coming closer, and the closer it got, the more nervous you became. I had the confidence allright, but with audio nothing is sure. And so again, who is more glad now ?
Technically it should be me. I mean, we have more DACs to come for others and a first failure would be a kind of disaster. A disaster not so much for the time and money spent, but for the sheer stupidity I had been working on a DAC that only would perform under "my" conditions. Not that I for even one bit explicitly worked on any kind of "matching", but still my speakers are not the most common, including what has been done to them (XOvers) which isn't even done at Bert's place where they come from. But since I only applied my theories of what should be best and developed the DAC without any kind of matching at all, it *should* be right everywhere. But still, one never knows ...

How surprised I was to perceive from you that "woofer under control thing" !
It is nothing I ever advertised, but in the end it is completely logic if I only take into account the experience from last week - the playing with the sound card alone. I described that as "woolly", distorting and in the end all I recognized from way back, never realizing how "bad" it all became, because I just never went back. So of course "woolly" is just that bass not being under control, and actually I already knew it, if I only think about that rediculous large space in Amersfoort where the speakers coincidentally also were open baffles, and not much wrong with the bass as such if it were about filling that room. Actually competely crazy because if there's one thing an open baffle can't do, is fill a large room. Large room ? man, this was close to a covered football stadium. And so, honestly, now we understand how this could happen, and possibly it is a unique thing. I really don't know as I have no real experience with open baffles. But you can bet Bert and I will work this out to some raving combination (we didn't meet since Amersfoort).

Technically, this will be caused by less distortion (hehe), but for two reasons I think;
One is the inherent low harmonic distortion (THD) which -and I can't say it enough- is infinitely better than from OS DACs (and may I refer to it again : the sound card measured nearly as good, *but* is OS).
The other will be the extreme low jitter, which excels in the low frequencies (this is the Phase Noise figure of better than 115dBc/Hz at 50Hz), with the addition that this is the oscillator's figure, *but* if all is right, nothing adds through the further chain, because there is no further chain.
Also to keep in mind : the sound card's poor sonic performence "makes use" of the exact same oscillators, although here is a small additional chain that can worsten jitter, but not to the effect as I perceived it myself. That's just the OS thing ... (and the inability to measure it correctly).

Well, before I am creating my own story here (I guess I just did Smack !) I want to say that we hope to be as enthusiast in the future, and that each DAC delivery just *will* have some specialty going along with it. This counts for the current group of buyers, and I'm sure it will be for the next the same. Without that it's a dead thing, while it is intended to be a "co-work" and sharing of a beautiful hobby, which this in the end all is.
Gerard, I loved reading your story, and I can only hope some music was playing during your two hours of typing. It is really really appreciated, and I know how hard it is. Next time just type somewhat faster, and don't be bothered about people may not understand. I'm sure at least I will.

For now I will say that your DAC has not been burned in at all, and when things improve - and how, I hope you will let it know; It is just good to know for others what to expect. Yesterday, when Leo came to collect his baby we briefly listened to a DAC which was on for 14 hours or so, and while he asked "how can this improve ?" and, "what will happen ?", I really couldn't answer other than "it sounds somewhat strange, but I could like it forever". So, actually I don't know because I never started off with an "all fresh" DAC.

Happy days and happy times !
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2010, 03:15:44 pm »

Because i am a bit proud of what i have at the moment and since this was the last thing i really would like to have here are some pic's! Almost everything handmade.  Happy
This summer i am going to paint the dressoir  Wink

* P1040549.JPG (93.68 KB, 800x600 - viewed 2713 times.)

* P1040547.JPG (113.4 KB, 800x600 - viewed 2494 times.)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 09:51:54 am by Gerard » Logged

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
Leo
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 04:09:33 pm »

Well number two is up and running. What can I say, other than that my faithfull fireface 400 and Altmann dac are for sale. As Gerard has beaten me both with having the first dac and the review from his own home  I will keep it fairly short. It was great to meet Peter and Ciska, hearing some great music from a not yet well burned-in dac , and than taking my dac  home and now having by far the best sounding system I ever had in my home.

To put your mind at rest Peter, this dac will not be returned to Oene, only perhaps later for updates and improvements that you will come up with for sure Happy

Peter, thank you very much for sharing your know how, experience and passion with us

and now I will not be distracted from my music for some days.

Leo

Dedicated silent audio pc HFX classic, Windows 8 pro 64bit  / Intel 3930 CPU 6 cores 12 threads,  ASRock x79 Extreme4-M/ SeaSonic Platinum 400w ATX PSU / 16Gb RAM , music on (SATAIII), MinOS/ Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/1/1/1 Qf=1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 1-2* @ UnAttended  /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=0,4 max= 120*  XT Tweaks balanced load 43, nervous=100, cool when idle 1, Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB with Dexa clock -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.3 (2ms) ->  direct to AMP: Gainclone mid high, Hypex DPS400 low, horn system (tractrix for mid/high, BD for bass with Oris200)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2010, 04:45:27 pm »

Thank you Leo.

And as far as "special deliveries" can go ... One had to be the first. But the second one will always remain unbeatable for being the first who dared to shout outloud about XXHighEnd somewhere else (and was beaten for that by itself).

I hope you will enjoy it very very much. And, it was a pleasure to meet you and your wife.
Peter

PS: Don't forget to change your signature. Haha. Happy Happy

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 07:15:16 pm »

I received this PM from Gerard which I think is so nice that I asked him to translate it and put it here. The original (dutch) is at the bottom.

Sorry, but I can't stop talking about this.
What am I enjoying this extremely. Working a bit on the PC and in the background some music. I can normally concentrate and the music just sounds good to my ears in some way and by some means. I don't know how to describe it. My ears just like this very much.
How much joy is this giving me !!!

Yesterday my both neighbours came listening. Well, Leon got tears in his eyes and the other neighbour just could not understand that this was possible. He was only nodding his head all the time. haha...

Even my girlfriend whom usually is the first to turn down the volume again hasn't touched that so far. I will test this phenomenon further the next two weeks. Wink

But hey, you can't guess half how happy I am with this.... Or maybe you can. I hope you can enjoy your success a little, despite all the hectic. I can't wait for mose positive responses. I also hope for you not too many parts will have shortcomings. unhappy
Happy

Sorry raak er niet over uitgepraat.

Wat zit ik hier geweldig te genieten. Beetje op de pc bezig met op de achtergrond muziek. Ik kan me gewoon concertreren en de muziek klinkt op een bepaalde manier goed in m'n oren. Ik weet niet hoe ik dat moet omschrijven. M'n oren vinden het gewoon erg prettig.
Wat heb ik hier een plezier aan!!!

Gisteren kwamen mijn beide buren even luisteren. Nou Leon kreeg tranen in z'n ogen en de andere buurman kon er gewoon niet bij dat dit kon. Hij zat maar met zijn hoofd te schudden. haha...

Zelfs m'n vriendin die doorgaans de volume snel weer wat zachter zet is er nog niet aangeweest. Dit fenomeen zal ik nog een week of twee uittesten.  Wink

Tja je weet niet half hoe gelukkig ik hiermee ben.... Of mischien toch wel. Ik hoop dat je ook nog een beetje van je succes kan genieten ondanks alle drukte. Ik kan niet wachten op meer positieve reactie's. Ik hoop ook voor je dat niet teveel onderdelen "iets" mankeren.  unhappy

Happy

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 08:13:17 pm »

Bravo!

yahoo

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »

Peter's issues are much more urgent than mine, but I'm having trouble with my NOS1 that I'm hoping new owners might be able to help me with...

Whenever the NOS1 is on and the Juli@ driver has been installed, I'm getting very frequent PC freezes. Each requires a hard re-boot. I have managed to get some sound for a maximum of a few minutes (and how great those few minutes were) but of course, I'd like to get sound indefinitely with no freezes.

Did any of you have any similar issues once you installed the Juli@ drivers? If so, how did you overcome them?

Cheers,
Mani.

PS. The issue exists whether I boot into W7 or W2008SP1.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Leo
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 10:31:59 pm »

I installed the downloaded drivers as adviced in the manual by Peter. Windows had some hickups in installing them but with a couple of reboots I got it going and had no problems since. I think that Gerard also had to reboot a couple of times before he got it going.And since then he seems to enjoy it quite a bit.

I have vista 64.

So little info that may help you only the comforting fact that has been done by other people than Peter himnself.

Leo

Dedicated silent audio pc HFX classic, Windows 8 pro 64bit  / Intel 3930 CPU 6 cores 12 threads,  ASRock x79 Extreme4-M/ SeaSonic Platinum 400w ATX PSU / 16Gb RAM , music on (SATAIII), MinOS/ Engine#4 Special Mode / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/1/1/1 Qf=1 (Dev.Buffer = 4096) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 1-2* @ UnAttended  /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=0,4 max= 120*  XT Tweaks balanced load 43, nervous=100, cool when idle 1, Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = On / Double Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / -> USB with Dexa clock -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1 async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.3 (2ms) ->  direct to AMP: Gainclone mid high, Hypex DPS400 low, horn system (tractrix for mid/high, BD for bass with Oris200)
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 10:48:40 pm »

Hi Mani,

First  good that you have one too.

Than indeed i had to reboot a couple of time's before the thing is asked. But that is not the problem you have. To be honest i had a few problems with attended en stopped trying. Sometime's i had a black screen trying those. First try to lower you SFS. That makes my pc react some better.

Good luck!

EDIT: See now that yours is not that high  dntknw

Peter's issues are much more urgent than mine, but I'm having trouble with my NOS1 that I'm hoping new owners might be able to help me with...

Whenever the NOS1 is on and the Juli@ driver has been installed, I'm getting very frequent PC freezes. Each requires a hard re-boot. I have managed to get some sound for a maximum of a few minutes (and how great those few minutes were) but of course, I'd like to get sound indefinitely with no freezes.

Did any of you have any similar issues once you installed the Juli@ drivers? If so, how did you overcome them?

Cheers,
Mani.

PS. The issue exists whether I boot into W7 or W2008SP1.

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 01:35:25 am »

Thanks Leo, thanks Gerard.

I'm almost there now. After a BIOS update and a few BIOS tweaks, I haven't had a 'major' issue for >2 hours of listening. But I don't think the issue is fully resolved yet - I still get the odd 'distorted sound' when I begin playback (a bit like taking latency too low with Special). And although I've had no freezes for a while, until I know the issue is fully resolved, my preamp will remain in place.

But I have to say that the sound from the NOS1 is really, really nice. There is no doubt in my mind that I'm hearing the best digital (or any?) sound I've ever heard in my system. I haven't done any detailed comparisons with my PM Model Two yet, but I can't remember hearing this level of 'realism' from the Model Two. This is not really a criticism of the Model Two - because it only has AES inputs, it is totally dependent on the quality of the AES interface that feeds it. I have some emails from people who have heard the Model Two with the Mykerinos card and who say that it is easily the best digital sound they have ever heard. And some of these people have heard pretty much everything available. Haha... but not the NOS1!

Although these are early days, I'm happy to say that I cannot imagine anything bettering the NOS1. It is simply superb. My only wish would be for more low-down 'weight' (I've been spoiled by the Model Two in this regard). Perhaps this is how bass should sound? Perhaps I need to do some more BIOS/OS tweaking? Perhaps the NOS1 just needs a little time? Who cares? I love it.

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Chriss
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2010, 08:54:56 am »

Mani,
for each audio setup wich is new and cold Happy the low freq.(the bass) is the last component who came out after good and final dac (or whatever) burning! Have patience Happy Give him 200+ hours at least.
Criss.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: