XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 23, 2024, 06:39:37 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: XXHighEnd Model 0.9z-4-1 problems  (Read 22023 times)
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 16, 2011, 11:09:17 am »

Do you find XX unstable?

Yes, I just tried Hotkey again and it (first time ever!) responded to Alt-D... but it went from -9dB (too loud!) to a whopping +4.5dB (!!!) and that starting playing unattended with the initial volume set to -21dB. Nice...

With Alt-S (Alt-Q does not work) I can stop the player (Quitting XX is what is atually does).

Similar destructive (complete different thing though) is that the quality of the sound gets worse after a while if you use Volume Normalisation and only a reboot can cure that. This is the reason why I am trying to use Hotkey (I need to be able to adjust the volume) but that does not work at all playing unattended (it works a lot better in attended mode but then still not all according to the list).

Are there more people using Hotkeys? Is that working out well for you?

There are more features in XX which I never used and do not "dare" to use or touch being afraid for what might happen forcing me to reboot the PC again. I just want to listen to the music (only optimal quality of course) but then without the fuzz or is that too much to asked for?

€1300 for a mobo and processor is a lot, of course. But if it leads to a dramatic improvement in SQ, I'll be signing up for one.

I do not care about the 1.300 Euro, I just think the priorities should be elswhere...?

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

XX settings basically similar to PeterSt's
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 11:39:28 am »

I have to admit that I usually set the volume to the level I want first and then listen in unattended without making any adjustments. The only control I sometimes use (very rarely actually) is Alt-N.

Most of the unattended controls don't seem to work very well for me either I'm afraid, but it's never been a particularly big issue.

Mani.

PS. I've attached a jpeg of my desktop background that I use to help in unattended mode... shame most of them don't work for me  Sad

* XXHE Short Cuts.jpg (54.08 KB, 960x720 - viewed 778 times.)

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 12:17:49 pm »

Hi Bert,

I think it is a good thing that you hopped over to the forum about your problems, because both you and me (especially me) got fed up of 100 emails about something you are bothered about. Apparently you can't be helped by me, but maybe others can.

Ask Gerard. He could tell the same, and I actually hope he will. Everybody should who has these kind of problems.
But (with a wink to Gerard and him hopefully not being offended), I saw him operating on an actually too slow machine, and this is nothing else but clicking here and there and everywhere (I overdo it a bit Happy) until you can be sure that nothing will work anymore. I tell this my wife a couple of time per day, especially when working on a way too slow laptop, and this "user" always thinking that when nothing happens you have to click again. Or elsewhere. The more you click the worse it gets.

When do people at last understand this very general principle of PC's ?
Maybe after 1300 times telling this to my wife she is starting to get it. In either case though, the browser version is blamed, the internet is blamed, the neighbours are blamed, the laptop is blamed, all is blamed, and you know what ? all is justified. But actually one thing is really the matter : the PC performs poorly and there is no way to get this for some. Should you be interested in this ? well, if your life is to be without cursing all the time, maybe yes. If you like cursing, don't bother and curse away.
If you don't WANT to be interested or can't otherwise, well, you are lost. There is nothing else to do.

I will give one example of this interest, and this is not to sound nasty or anything, but is to put both feet on the ground instead of blaming something else :

This whole world of audio is about letting the PC behave. It just is so, and I didn't invent that it actually does not. Do you want to belong to this ? yes, I think so (if not bail out);
But *if* this is so, it is totally way way way beyond me how it is ever possible to continuesly look at a "100Watt" disk light going on each second all the time. At least cover it so you won't know it !

I say it again : this is not to sound nasty (at all !), but if one's behaviour is so inconsistently like this, he doesn't want to get it or just can't. In either case, quit this. It apparently is not for you. I said "apparantly", because it is inconsistent behaviour; want the best but don't want to do anything about it.

100 emails do not help.
NOBODY (but one Happy) receives this kind of support via email, and if this is a lie, speak up.
Sadly this also means that all this struggle stuff should be on the forum. But it is not.

The latter - and I am saying this explicitly - is NOT telling that no problems are there for some or maybe even many. I do say though that those people never asked for help, thus didn't get any. Thus have the problems. Thus use Foobar. Do I care ? not a bit. I *do* care about helping out though. I also do care about posts appearing here with an unjustified cynism (like you did in the other topic).

Well, I took this post out of another topic, to make it an explicit issue;
At this moment I don't care whether this will be about solving problems I don't hear about in this forum (so let's have it now !!) or whether it may be about a small change of mentality. For example :

Most of the unattended controls don't seem to work very well for me either I'm afraid, but it's never been a particularly big issue.
[...]
PS. I've attached a jpeg of my desktop background that I use to help in unattended mode... shame most of them don't work for me  Sad

I certainly won't say this is more comfortable for me, but I will say there's another kind of mentality at work here. A more peace giving one (for the user) at least. But will it solve problems (without such a post) ? no.
But I guess it is about the proper combination, and how you can a. set yourself to deal with it without further problems and/or b. by judging all in a decent fashion so I can do something about it. Also : the first thing that I don't want to do something about some issue still has to come, which is different from not being able to because of not knowing what is actually happening. So think about my earlier example of the uselessness of mentioning gaps between tracks while at the same time your disk light is always on, not mentioning that latter. It is one example only, and I guess a 100 exist in practice. But how to know it.

I used Gerard as the actually positive example of someone with maybe similar problems, watching him to start pressing more and more buttons, while the real thing being wrong was waiting 30 seconds before a track starts to play "at your own command" because of setting the SFS to 240 which apparently the PC concerned can't take at all, which you HAVE to recognize because without doubt you tried an SFS of 10 as well and you should understand the difference. If you can't understand this, and THUS not tell about this - which is a major issue in the first place - you just CAN NOT be helped. I don't know how to approach this otherwise, except for (now) explicitly asking by means of this post.
But there is a difference. I mean, I don't recall Gerard complaining, and I never received any emails. Not one. So, understanding it or not, I don't see any cynism coming from him, and I only see him learning once it is told by a coincidental opportunity. One.
And "one" is already different from 10 which weren't even coincidental. There MUST be a mentality difference going on here.

The fact that problems like these are not reported, also is wrong. It makes it too easy for me to point to the forum and tell "it must be you - or something in your environment". And honestly, this too happened with Bert, while after some explaining from his side he certainly was right.
Putting a problem on the forum *is* no problem for me; the contrary, it is a good thing because people will jump in, may confirm the problem, may add things to it, and the problem can be solved more automatically than you think. Another example thus may be : what Mani just posted. "Most of them don't work for me". Well, that is strange. I never saw that on the forum, but minutes after one posts about it, a next confirms it. What are the simillarities etc. etc. This is already 10 times more easy to solve, than one telling it by email, that one coincidentally not being able to sort it out, which by itself is no problem. What *is* a problem though, is that when I tell that I use the volume at least 20 times per day, so it can't be an inherent problem, all the feedback I get is "thus it must be me ?". And thus again (and again, and again) : you won't let yourself helped by this means of operating because apparently it just can't work (or otherwise it would have been solved, of course). But put it in the forum, and things will be mighty different.

Right. This all looks like a mixed bag of sayings, angles and blaming, while I'd like to rather blame myself. Now, help me with that.
Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 12:45:39 pm »

I have to admit that I usually set the volume to the level I want first and then listen in unattended without making any adjustments. The only control I sometimes use (very rarely actually) is Alt-N.

Mani.

I use - all for Unattended operation :

Alt-X (can be hundreds of times per day)
Alt-P (maybe 5-10 times per day; lately not anymore)
Alt-S (normally 1 time per day)
Ale-E (rarely though)
Alt-N (a couple of times per day)
Alt-U (can easily be 20 times per day)
Alt-D (maybe 5 times per day Happy)
Alt-I (very rarely, but is suspect to volume changes to -0dBFS (just because I had that ONCE)
Alt-C (rarely, maybe once per month)
Alt-H (can be 3 times per day (always hoping for more Wink)
Alt-Z (maybe 3-5 times per day)
Alt-1-0 (maybe 4 times per day, and used for Volume-Up as well as -Down)

I do not use - Unattended operation :
Alt-O
Alt-L
Alt-A
Alt-B
Alt-T
Alt-K (only because I never know which one this is, but in the past : once or twice per day)
Alt-F
Alt-U or -D "Preset amount" ?? I don't even know what it is. Can't be either, because this is used for Volume.

What's left is for Attended, and I never use that.

Ok. Somehow this doesn't look to me like "most of them don't work". Also it occurs to me that the list of hotkeys I don't use are hardly useful.
Notice that the ones I use, I can use without any issues at all, or otherwise I would repair it. For myself !! (is this clear ?)

Now, what is wrong here ? What can't you all use what I can ?

Not only Bert and Mani, but everybody please !

PS: In a situation something like the Volume can't be changed, it is not difficult to receive a "sudden in between the lines" remark which looks like "Hey, I also saw a message 'Something wrong at Remote Command'". The fact that I guarantee you that in such a situation you already used a command a second time (because a first didn't come through) is something to really think about. Also think about the given example of a track starting after 30 seconds, which almost guaranteed will take 30 seconds to change the volume as well. Don't get this and you will have issued your next command - and a next. Down-Up everything. A very easy means to end up at +4dB especially if you didn't apply the Normalized Volume as advised ... just sayin'.

PPS:
The fact that I guarantee you that in such a situation you already used a command a second time
Which in the end I do not, because when it takes 30 second to start a track, during playback the priorities have changed (which you actually did yourself), and in such a system you can well say that nothing will work. I can't look it up now, but the timeout for beforementioned message to show up is somewhere in between 30 and 60 seconds or so, while the message appears because something just doesn't respond. Now think : who wants to wait for 30 seconds before the volume changes ? ah, good. Nobody. So it is already implied that this takes this long, as it is implied that you caused this yourself by not getting this, using again Gerard's example. In this case : set the SFS lower and you will see. Now please don't complain with me that it doesn't work for you, because this just works for me on a very moderate system, and it does within one second (SFS 240).
That we will need to understand what actually causes the slowness on a PC in general is another matter !!

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 12:59:09 pm »

Peter, I'll have a play with all of these. Like I said, Alt-N works perfectly, and is the only one I ever tend to use. But Alt-E, Alt-P, Alt-T and Alt-X work for sure.

I think what might be happening is that 'we' just aren't waiting long enough for some of the change(s) to take effect and then use another Hotkey command too soon. This results in the 'Something wrong with Remote Command' error message once XX comes back to attended mode.

But I've just tried Alt-D in unattended mode, and waited for ages... with no effect on volume. Is the PC in my office (dedicated music PC, E8600, 8GB fast RAM, W7SP1 x64, all settings as in my signature) simply too slow?

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2011, 01:22:22 pm »

Simply too sow ?? well, what exactly is "too slow". But please test it with :

1. A real low SFS; if that doesn't help :
2. Take care that the priorities are more in balance, up to equal (but better use Nothing to try it)
3. Try to watch this is not about a disk which needs spinning up (that by itself taking way too long)

Thanks !
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2011, 01:26:09 pm »

Now please don't complain with me that it doesn't work for you, because this just works for me on a very moderate system, and it does within one second (SFS 240).

With an SFS of 2 then it works within one second (unattended). At attended it also works within one second but then with a SFS of 240, 300..... but not the other way around.

And that is with a system higher than moderate (but playing FLAC files slowing it a bit down again).

Bert

Februari 1st: RDC controlled i7-4785T (set to 800Mhz - fully passive design without any moving parts), 16GB RAM / XXHighEnd 2.04c on 2GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / Windows 10 Pro 10586.0 X64 on internal 250GB SSD / Music on external NAS / Playback Drive 10GB RAMDisk (IMDisk) / SFS 0.10 / Barbone Industrial Intona > Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) > Blaxius BNC interlink > BD-Design BD30-SPR amplifiers > BD-Design Custom Made Sigma loudspeakers.

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 01:35:26 pm »

Ah, look. Almost solved. Happy

At attended it also works within one second but then with a SFS of 240, 300..... but not the other way around.

But are you saying that with Attended it doesn't work with a small SFS at all ?

Anyway, I guess you will have missed my before post about the Priorities. Please incorporate those in a further small test.

Thanks Bert,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 01:45:10 pm »

But are you saying that with Attended it doesn't work with a small SFS at all ?

Meaning the higher settings only...lower values speed up things for both situations.

Removing priorities does not change anything, at least I do not notice any differences.

Which version do you use to compare/check? The developer or the release version?

manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 02:01:17 pm »

Simply too sow ?? well, what exactly is "too slow".

I mean too slow to use certain HotKeys (Alt-U/D in particular) in a useful way. Right now, if I want to change the volume in unattended mode, I simply press Alt-X, stop play, change the volume and then hit play again. This is actually quicker on my system than waiting to Alt-U/N to take affect... and I kind of feel more in control (although waiting for services to stop takes longer than it used to). I can totally see why some people would want these HotKeys to work in a responsive way.

Just another thing, in my first post in this thread I specifically said "don't work well for me". The implication here was that there is something 'wrong' with my PC and not XX.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2011, 02:36:40 pm »

Which version do you use to compare/check? The developer or the release version?

At this moment this would be my "development" version, but it really doesn't matter.

But let's think like this (I mean, in order to find out what could be going on) :

During playback there's 352800 samples which need to process per second. This is not a continuous process because it is "stopped" by your Q1 setting. This is what we call the "latency in samples", at least for KS Special Mode. I assume for now you have this set at 128 (samples).
This means that once per 128 samples the cpu is addressed, and it will use it for the duration of 128 samples to stuff in the "soundcard's buffer". If you'd calculate this, it means hogging the cpu - almost. Your cpu is blasted with interrupts (352800/128 times per second).

While this is happening, you imply a startup of XXHighEnd (at changing the volume), which in between those jobs needs time (slices) to get there. This is a sort of tough job.  It doesn't take much to let this go wrong, or put differently, to not let it receive the time slices because so many rather "steady stream" of happenings going on anyway.
This is only step one, and what I can recognize is that it looks like this "process" can go wrong sometimes. But, to the extend of waiting 15 seconds instead of the normal 1. I know this, and I'll just wait it out.

What happens next (after this has been "accomplished") is that the implied memory size (implied by the SFS size) has to be filled with track data, that data in original form already being there in memory. But, it is dealt with by a low priority process in order not to disturb playback itself. Now a few things are important here :

- The Thread Priority (the higher the more it will interfere with the "memory filling");
- The Appointment Scheme;
- The number of cores you use (and 8 will be WRONG for before 0.9z-5 versions !);
- The Q1 setting, because it implies the amount the CPU is hogged;
- The Clock Resolution because it implies the length of time a next "time slice" may be obtained;
- And of course the lengthyness of the whole process, implied by the SFS size.

Regarding the latter, keep in mind "time slices". Obtaining one in this situation may take a few ms. With a very low SFS this one "interrupt" could be sufficient to deal with it all, because thinking about the "thead" being allowed to use the cpu (core) for that same few ms, all is over and done with within that exact same few ms. Not so when the SFS implies an e.g. 240 times more lengthy process, which already implies 240 times this few ms only to obtain the time slice. So, only this may take over a second now, and no processing has been done at all. Also, looking at the Clock Resolution and that being 15ms, very theoretically this could mean 240 times 15 ms. But, since nothing is as it seems, I can tell you that this can be 240 times 29 ms (not 30). And you know what ? this is 7 seconds of just doing nothing.

I will stop here for a moment, so you have an idea of what can all be influenced without knowing it really, hence what can go wrong unnoticed.
Why can this all be under one 1 second in my system ? most probably because I won't be giving away my time (slice). I won't reason this out, but it is a perfectly normal explanation for me.

Since you now know what is involved (apart from the Scheme, but you could set it to Nothing at first), I am sure you can imply the "best responsive" settings. From there (assuming it helps) work your way back to the settings you actually want (the ones you had). Keep very good notice of changes. Do not combine, or you will get crazy. So, just one by one back to normal.

If we would be able to learn where it goes wrong, a next step will be how to attack it.

Also please let me know your cpu.

But one thing should be clear : your Hotkeys just work.

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2011, 02:45:17 pm »

But one thing should be clear : your Hotkeys just work.

Yes, they actually do! But why are they in unattended mode not as responsive as in attended mode?

Bert

PS Intel Core i7-870, 2.93GHz

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2011, 02:58:38 pm »

I'd say : blame the under the hood startup of XXHighEnd (see before post).
So maybe that tells something already ... (but must think)

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
BertD
Audio Enthusiast

Only the Best!

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2011, 03:39:16 pm »

I'd say : blame the under the hood startup of XXHighEnd (see before post).

Ah, okay...this indeed delays things and apparently also where things go wrong (my system).

I can see XX start in the background (taskmanager) and then dissapears again (takes a second) but that is all the activity I see for a long time (minutes!) unless I give another command and XX starts again in the background but this time stays there until I OK the error message that comes up after a while telling me that there is something wrong with a remote command...

PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2011, 04:40:56 pm »

Hmm ... This looks like it's the other way around.

Can you do me a favour ?

Don't stop Services.
Have Explorer ready to grab log files.

In the situation it doesn't work (high SFS etc.) (set Logging on and) start up XXighEnd, start playback and after there is sound try to use Alt-U (or -D) after 5 seconds (not needed to make that 5.0000 seconds, just around 5).
I am not sure how long you must wait now, but let's say that after one minute you must grab the log files from this (TemporaryData folder under your XX folder), and post them. XX, X3 and X3PB. If the volume changes earlier than this one minute, you can do it then, BUT tell me it did !

Next, stop all this and inactivate Unattended. Quit XX, and restart it.
Play the same, and again after 5 seconds change the volume. Done ? grab those log files and post those too.

I don't know what yet, but this should tell me something.
Thanks,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: