XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 20, 2024, 10:12:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Scratch that itch"  (Read 4197 times)
BrianG
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: April 12, 2011, 10:37:07 am »

I'm sure I am not alone in having that condition called the "upgrade itch"  unhappy

I think the current bout of the condition has developed since I received the NOS1.  I am fortunate that each episode of the "itch" comes around about every 3 years (I think some people have the itch more frequently than this?).

I can be happy as long as my overall system sounds "in balance" but when I introduced the NOS1 the balance went so the itch reappeared...

This time I've gone from high efficiency horn speakers to low efficiency electrostatics.  I was able to get a reconditioned pair of ESL63s from Quad and ,thanks to Mani who let me listen to his system, I went for the Sanders ESL amp.

The sounds was "Wow....ish" so as the 63s have been in circulation for close to ever (in hi-fi terms) I have read a lot about getting more out of them and the key area is the input caps.   So last night I bypassed the input resistor and electrolytic input cap and now I have "WOW!" Grin

Balance restored and "upgrade itch" has been satisfied.....................or has it  innocent

(just want to record a big thank you to Mani for spending his morning with me lifting the amp between systems and demoing his Quads, a great help in "treating my itch"  whistle )

January 5, 2011
*W7 64bit SP1 on SSD*, XX on 1.2GB RAMDisk (Copy to XX-drive = On), music on SATAII, i3-530 HT Off / Engine#4 *Special Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = 16 (samples)/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = 512) / not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / *Scheme = 3* @ UnAttended (Do Not Start) /Services Off + No Running Time / Octo Arc Prediction Upsampling / *SFS=100* @ *SFS.ini = 00* -> PC-to-I2S Driver latency 512 samples @352800 -> 24/384 Phasure NOS1 DAC -> pre-amp ->main amps
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: