XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
March 28, 2024, 10:02:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: DCS Killer and tears of joy  (Read 10808 times)
colonne
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« on: April 23, 2011, 11:52:34 pm »

Hi fellow audio addicts,

I've spent insane amounts of money to feed my addiction on mass manufactured, highly advertised audio components over the years, but only 3 components( Two hardware and one software) have brought tears of joy to my eyes as I heard music the way my soul was yearning for. Both Hardware components lovingly hand made, never advertised in magazines etc:, and built by good men who loves music and the joy of sharing rather than the almighty $, and thus grossly under priced their creation. I'm also eternally grateful to all you good souls who contributes to forums like this which helped me stumble upon the Vaughn audio Carina tube power Amp , XXHE, and Phasure NOS1.
I thought I was in musical heaven(no infection with upgraditis for the 1st time) with my front end( Locus audio Nucleus USB cable, Off Ramp, and DCS Delius and Purcell combo), when I ordered the Phasure for the heck of it, after reading the postings and being aware of Peters obsessive compulsive nature!!!!!!(I'm a shrink BTW). Well suffice to say these were retired shortly after hearing the Phasure out of the box.  The tears were of joy and sadness (the latter over the indecent amount of money spent on some of the components, albeit their excellent quality).
I'm not going to bore you guys(??gals) with the virtues of NOS1 as all have been said, but suffice to say I now have a live performance in my living room every day, and have a hard time doing anything else other than indulging myself with music to the verge of being hedonistic!!!!.
Well Peter I meant it when I said I'll hunt you down and give you a big hug the next time I'm in the NL( for the record I love women as much as I do music, in case Peter goes into hiding!!!)
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2011, 12:25:10 am »

Thank you for a great post. Really nice to read and our bonus for what we do it all for indeed !

Needless to say that when I need a shrink I will call out for *you*. Could be nice to listen to music in a horizantal position for a change. Happy

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
colonne
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2011, 02:47:19 am »

Thanks Peter,it comes from the heart
praphan
Audio Enthusiast

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2011, 04:59:39 am »

Very well put, Colonne,

I would like to add another component to your equation ie people-ware. When you purchase a mass consumer electronics, you would never get access to personalized service and support from the designer.  You won't get sincere help from fellow common users. The truth is that you can find this fourth component here at XXHE.

Cheers!
Praphan   

PC: Asus X58 chipset M/B; Seasonic 850W PSU; i7 970 12 threads (HT=on); ATI HD 5770; Zalman Reserator water cooling, 24GB RAM, Plextor PX230A drive ; W7 Pro 64bit plain SP1 (no further update) and XXHE on Velociraptor; music on Sata 3 2 TB HDD; WD5003ABYX sits on Thermaltake USB3 dock as playback drive; Star Tech PCIe USB3 card

XX 0.9z-8-3a : KS Engine 4 "Adaptive"; DB = 4096; APx16; Q1/2/3/4/5 = 14x1/0/0/0/0; No Appointment/low/real time; CR = 0.5 ms; XTweaks Ultimate; SC; SFS= 120/120 ; allow format change; unattended ; min OS and stop "all" services; normalized volume usually played at -15db ;  peak extension on ; PA off

Signal chain: 24/786 NOS1 USB; 16 ms buffer on driver 1.0.2 => Valhalla XLR IC = > McIntosh 2301 tube monoblocks => Purist Dominus spk cable => B&W 802 D
colonne
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2011, 03:22:44 pm »

We live and learn praphan, and I learn from my mistakes. I had to send peter my brand new off ramp as it didn't run on engine #3 XXHE about 2 yeas ago, so he could figure out why. He did,did it fast(the wait was killing me) and didn't even charge me for his time, return postage,etc:, thus loosing money with  the sale of XXHE to me!!!!. I don't enjoy the key board much and appreciate a lot your long postings with advice, view points,etc:, as I do the contributions both big and small from the rest of our merry little band of music enthusiasts.
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2011, 12:23:24 am »

Ah ha so it was you colonne!!!. Well a massive thanks for lending Peter your off-ramp (and of course to Peter for getting it working) because until then engine #3 would not work for me with my off ramp. And so that was the point in time (when XX was fixed to work with Off Ramp) at which my acquaintance with XX, Peter and the good fellows on this forum really started.

Talk about excellent personal service I just wanted to relay a story about Peter (I am sure he won't mind). I recently ordered my NOS1 and Peter said he would get it out to me by the end of the week Friday. Well he kept me updated with progress and finally Friday came and my NOS was ready. But Peter had forgotten to book the courier. Now for ordinary mortals an apology (maybe) and a delay. But that is not Peter's way as he is not one to let a small problem hold him back. Later during the day he spotted a random DHL lorry passing by his place - immediately he grabbed my NOS1 put it on the back seat of his car and proceeded to chase down the DHL lorry. Travelling at speed he managed to catch up with the lorry and persuaded the driver to take my parcel (without a booking) and I thus I received my NOS shortly after on schedule. Now that is service by someone who cares. As I have followed the design of NOS1 it is clear that Peter just does not let **problems** get in the way of his design goals.

So now here is me looking at my NOS1 and not able to listen to it because the company supplying my computer do not understand the concept of personal service in the way Peter does. Oh and the good chaps on this forum!!! - thanks again to Praphan for sorting me out on the spec of my new computer.

So all I need now is that PC.................

PC

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
colonne
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2011, 11:13:14 pm »

I read praphans advice to you, and glad you were able to change the order before it was shipped(I'm thinking of upgrading too). With your state of the art computer front end and NOS1 you will be in audio nirvana, and would suggest you break in the NOS 1  with an old computer while waiting.
As for Peter, he is lucky he lives in the NL, as in Canada the DHL driver would have couriered him to the nearest psych ward!!!!!!
Take care,
Don
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: