XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 27, 2024, 03:11:11 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: chipsets-present and future implications for NOS 1  (Read 5146 times)
TimDH
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« on: May 07, 2011, 07:26:20 pm »

OK, so I'm starting to dig into the posts as I contemplate putting together my PC for XXHighEnd and NOS1.  I know there is no such thing as future -proofing in the computer world, but still you hate to think of making a big investment that gets obsolete quickly.  Here are some questions that I hope some here can help with:

a) usefulness of overclocking.  I'm not sure from Peter's and other responses whether there's any benefit (and of course there is the downside of more heat in the PC = more cooling needed).  But I thought from Peter's other posts that a lot of CPU horsepower was a good thing- one reason to avoid a laptop, so I'm confused why all things considered, overclocking wouldn't be good.
b) has anyone besides Praphan played around with p67 or h67 chipsets and the Sandy Bridge CPUs?  It sounds like some fundamental issue with the p67 or h67-based motherboards and PCIe out to the Juli@?
c) what is the future for the 1366 socket motherboards and the i7 970 etc in view of Sandy Bridge now and Ivy Bridge coming.  In other words, will NOS 1 end up limited to only an older generation of motherboards?

Thank for your thoughts,
Tim

eArch
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 10:12:26 pm »

From what I understand, XXHE is not a CPU intensive program in a multi-core dedicated music server. Therefore, XXHE will not benefit from OC. (I am an OCer. Too bad for me) However, XXHE will benefit from more "cores" plus Intel's HT. Theoretically, when using a multi-core laptop as a dedicated music server and stripping out all the unnecessary programs and processes, I believe one can get an equally good result with XXHE.

I don’t think 1366 or even 1156 will become obsolete (like a normal PC would) serving as a dedicated music server. Many of us still have some 10-year-old or older CD players lying around which can play music better than an iPod. How old are the technologies inside of those CD players?

Of course, if you are like me who am thinking of using the music server as other general purposed PC, then you do have more to consider.

Just my 2 cents,
George
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: