XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 18, 2024, 02:23:59 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What I really love about NOS1  (Read 7502 times)
Scroobius
Audio Addict

View Profile
« on: July 02, 2011, 11:14:32 pm »

I have lived with NOS1 for a few months now and what I really really love about it is not what I was expecting. Yes sure the performance of it is special really special plenty have reported that - all those good recordings well they sound great - really special. BUT I have to say I was kinda expecting that.

But what I REALLY was NOT expecting is this. All those OLD and really BAD recordings - they obviously were not going to sound good were they?. I mean NOS1 with its XRay dissection of the musical detail - those old recordings did not stand a chance they were going to sound dreadful really awful weren't they?. Well no - most emphatically NO. They just sound great great great. Old recordings with no dynamics, hard sounding I have been going through my bad recordings collection and almost without exception they sound great. NOS1 digs out a level of detail that I have never heard before. I just love listening to all recordings they all sound great (within reason of course). This aspect of NOS1 above any other is the number 1 reason why this piece of hifi kit is the best I have ever owned.

P

621 Xeon 6120 LPS PC  -> Xeon Scalable 16/32 core with Hyperthreading On (all cores active) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1/ Q1Factor = 10 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 15ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.69  (max 140.19) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Off / WallPaper Off/ OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = 35 / Nervous Rate = 10 / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 0 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / *Arc Prediction Filtering (16x)* / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^2*A:B-W-Y-R, B:B-W-R* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> *Blaxius^2 A:B-R, B:B-R* Interlink -> Orelino Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 10:22:09 am »

Yes Paul. I know, agree, etc., and maybe you could have expected it afterall because I have been "raving" about it myself quite some times. But at the time, for me too it was unexpected. As a matter of fact I was trying to tell Chris in the other topic yesterday, and tried that again just today (before reading your post about this btw) : Re: Peter's best Classic Rock recordings/cds/remasters

But it is just so.

I am not sure how it works myself, with by now so many strange examples at hand. And I mean, including examples that won't change a thing to the sound with the NOS1. Or at least not in the same realm. Maybe this is about those albums not containing the higher frequency information to begin with (many stop at 8KHz or so). This, while those which excell at higher frequencies just don't workout on "normal DACs" exactly because of that. I don't know (yet), and it may take another year of experience to find the common line in it all.

Also it is too far away to make clear or to be understood well, I'm afraid. See Chris's example. He interprets it as plain bad quality sound, while it is exactly the other way around. "What is and what shouldn't be" or something, to quote a lyrics line from Led Zeppelin. Ever back I referred to Pictures at an Exhibition from Emerson Lake and Palmer as something they never heard themselves so good. A bit of a strange remark, but the sound can change so drastically that I'm really tempted to say something like that.

In the mean time things got worse here. Better *again* to a degree you were just trying to describe Paul. Yes, that sounds unbelieveable, but I always try not to lie. It really is so, and I'm listening myself open mouthed to what's all in there. I must say (talking in riddles) that things also start to backfire somewhat. Listenable recordings from before, "start to be" not so anymore. To much detail comes forward to let a mediocre recording be allright. But careful, because thus far I wasn't able to point at the recording itself. Merely to what they did to it. The example is again in that link I referred to, where Houses of the Holy from Led Zeppelin has undergone a flanger effect meant to be in guitars, but in the mean time has been applied to cymbals as well. Small error from the mastering engineer ? I don't know. But it disturbs because "what is and shouldn't be", but merely the digital effect of it has become audible; we can't apply processors over music without it being discovered ... today.

I am in the process of learning (just play more) myself, but I already see a line in strangenessess I knew a longer time. Take the example I was referring to more often : "Who do we think we are" from Deep Purple. I always said this was the best example of rock and fairly heavy cymbals which came out right, and it was the only Deep Purple album showing that. Mind you, this was my idea about this with the DAC you listen to, Paul. Today, at having obtained that again giant leap for the better, this album does not sound right at all. The cymbals irritate, and I hear "processing" to them.
This will not be a coincidence, and earlier this album has been tuned on sounding right through equipment the mastering engineer used to check the result. Most probably fine equipment, but today we are superceeding that ...

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: