XXHighEnd - The Ultra HighEnd Audio Player
April 24, 2024, 12:32:29 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: August 6, 2017 : Phasure Webshop open ! Go to the Shop
Search current board structure only !!  
   Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Async-USB 24/768 NOS1 up and running!  (Read 41192 times)
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

from-first-principles.com

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 27, 2011, 01:28:04 pm »

Initials thoughts on SQ to come, but just wanted to give you all a heads up first.

Later...

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
Gerard
Audio Addict

WWG1WGA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 01:30:48 pm »

Initials thoughts on SQ to come, but just wanted to give you all a heads up first.

Later...

Mani.

Great!!   too much !

Have Fun!!

Happy

Januari 2017 XX 2.05
OriginAE x11v Home build HTCP ~ Asus x79 mobo 3930K 12 core underclock 500 MHz,
16GB, *Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0* *from RAM*, music on music server / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *0.10*  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core *3-5* / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive *none* (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Not the best (OS from RAM issue) / Time Stability = Off (OS from RAM issue) / Custom Filter Mid 705600 / -> USB3 (Silverstone both sides isolated = Sw#3 of NOS1a = Up) -> *Clairixa USB 15cm* -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 0.70m -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink ->> Metrum Amps ->> Metrum Acoustics ESL Open Baffle.
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 10:29:45 pm »

Mani hi,

I have this vision of you being rooted in front of your system since you made you post at 1:20 this afternoon  Happy

Any thoughts, good ?

Best Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 12:32:48 am »

Firstly, sorry it's taken me a while to continue with this thread.

... I have this vision of you being rooted in front of your system since you made you post at 1:20 this afternoon  Happy

Quite honestly, I was a little disappointed with the asyn-USB NOS1, which kind of made me refrain from posting my initial thoughts. Oh don't get me wrong, when I first got it all working, it sounded very good. But it didn't give me that 'wow' feeling like I had the first time I listened to the original NOS1.

And I'm really glad I waited. I've spent most of the day (and yesterday? - I can't remember) exchanging emails with Peter to figure out a couple of problems. But what transpired was the discovery of a major, major problem - my computer was not allowing XXHE to take full control of the OS and 'do its thing'. I thought it was, but with Peter's help discovered that it wasn't. Anyway, after a whole day of trying things, I decided to try loading XXHE onto my other dedicated music PC. This time everything worked out fine. The 'Minimise OS' in the new version of XXHE worked fine.

I've moved the PC that works into my main room and am listening to the NOS1 right now. And what can I say? I think the best way of describing the sound of the new async-USB NOS1 to the original is that this one is so much more musical. It still has all the detail, but you just forget listening to this because you get so pulled into the music.

I could sit here and write about how amazing Vaya Con Dios sounds right now... blah, blah, blah... but I won't. Actually, I'm finding it hard to write anything constructive. The sound I'm getting from the async-USB NOS1 is utterly, utterly amazing. What else can I say?

There are a couple of points that I think are worth mentioning though.

Firstly, I'm not sure how much of this amazing performance is down to the new NOS1 interface or actually the 'Minimise OS' function in XXHE. All I can say is that before I managed to get this function to work, the NOS1 sounded good, but not particularly much better than the original.

The second point is that I'm 'only' using 8x Arc Prediction. Peter needs to do a little more work on the USB driver to allow for 16x AP (i.e. 705.6/786KHz). I'm not sure if this will provide much more of an improvement - I can't imagine how - but we'll see.

On a final note, I just want to thank Peter for all the time he's taken to help me get things sorted over the weekend. I've never experienced this level of collaboration/help from any supplier/manufacturer of, well, anything before. I feel totally privileged to be member of the 'Phasure club'.

I'll post more thoughts/experiences when I've got anything new to say. For now, listening has become a totally new experience... again!

Mani.

Main System:
Phasure Mach III (Win 14393.0 on RAM-OS / controlled by RDC, / connected directly to music server / XXHighEnd 2.11 / Minimize OS / Engine#4 Adaptive / DB=4096 / Q1=10 / xQ1=15 / Q3,4,5=1 / SFS=4.00 / XTweaks = 34, 10, 0, 0, 0 / Straight Contiguous / Clock Resolution = 15ms / Scheme 3-5 (low/realtime) / 8x Arc Prediction / switch #5 'up/off' / Unattended) mobo USB3 port -> Lush^3 -> Phasure NOS1a B75 G3 -> 8m Blaxius^2 -> First Watt F5 mono amps -> Tune Audio Anima horn speakers
Office System:
Phasure Stealth II -> Lush^2 -> RME ADI-2 Pro FS R -> Neurochrome 286 mono amps -> Tune Audio Marvel horn speakers
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:11 am »

[this will be a fairly long post, but I guess I'm at rest now somewhat heat]

Hectic as things are already, and with in between jobs a died main server (took me 5 full days to recover it), I forgot about a tiny winy little thing : XXHighEnd.

Yea, this is a totally stupid thing;
I am listening myself through a rather "tweaked" XXHighEnd from right after 0.9z-5-2 was put up (2.5 monts back), but it was merely about manual control to keep things right than that I could really use XXHighEnd to do it. This was also when I said it would take a LOT of programming to get it all done. Ok, I had been working on that ever since (again in between jobs of course), and along the way I got sort of distracted by that other improvement I found, really working on the first NOS1-USB to go out. That by itself kept us busy for an unplanned month. Still a good decision, I say afterwards.

As we know, again in between, I set myself to finding decent playback means for the Mac (succeeded), and while over two weeks back I sat down to finish the driver on the 768 part that server died.

Next thing I knew is that we started to send out a few first DACs while they were physically ready anyway, and at being late already I finished the driver in 384 fashion which was already prepared for a longer time. So, all set !

Well, no, because when Mani had unpacked a first NOS1-USB, I only then managed to think of XXHighEnd not being finished yet. For what ? well, for that sheer fact it just needs that better OS environment I already talked about in another topic. So, it worked allright at my place for long, but this really is different from having a fool proof production version. Normally only a commercial issue (too many bugs maybe), but this time a dangerous one (unbootable PCs maybe).

In the end I got it done with only 1.5 days of NOS1's being under mains control and steaming up - doing nothing further - at Mani's place. Here I want to thank Mani for his patience and offering his "no problem Peter !", but while I'm at it anyway, I must *also* gracefully thank a few other people, eager to wait for the box to arrive, that box arriving when they themselves had to leave before that. Yes, I am referring to Norwegian people, who all seem to work offshore. yes
And yes, I could also extend the story to such people sending me an email about the good time to send the NOS1 for their upgrade, that email not being read by me because that server being down, and *when* I read it, the man in question just left the day before for his little-long boat trip. NOS1 at home, wife at home - wife does not want to pack and send it. Yes, I would be mad.

Maybe I tell these totally seemingly unrelated stories, because indeed I care. At least I would hate it when something like this happened to me.

Allright. So I think it was last Friday when I could send an XXHighEnd version (denoted 0.9z-6-0) to Mani of which I thought it was reliable enough to do its job.
What I/we did not know, is that it didn't do a thing of what it was supposed to, and let's say that a stack of coincidental circumstances prevented showing its real state and merits.
In the end it was only yesterday late afternoon that it could be determined that one stupid little program just didn't do a thing, while it was supposed to do all. At this moment I still don't know why, and all we can tell is that on one PC it just doesn't run, while -so appeared- on the other it nicely works.

At this moment it must be so that now first this XXHighEnd part is finished into a reliable state, and only next I can proceed on those 768 drivers. It really shouldn't be a problem, as nowhere I judged or measured anything with the 768 drivers myself. I have them running allright, but only for technical testing and never for listening so far. But you can bet I'm eager myself, because it only can get better again.

Firstly, I'm not sure how much of this amazing performance is down to the new NOS1 interface or actually the 'Minimise OS' function in XXHE. All I can say is that before I managed to get this function to work, the NOS1 sounded good, but not particularly much better than the original.

If the latter would have been the end of it, I would have been satisfied myself. At least that is how it started out with the USB thing, because it's realy tough to get it going well. So, when it happened for the first time that everything started to sound normal, I was happy as a child. Remember, it would be able to replace a nice - though awkward interface. This is worth something.

I think if you listen longer to that normal XXHighEnd situation (all tweaked as far as it went in 0.9z-5-2), you would have "seen" that there is more. You can just feel it. At least that was my response to it back then (3 months back ?). There seemed to be more potential still, but it merely tells you "hey, my environment ain't right man !". I started to hear my amps (and they indeed were wrong), and I started to hear "XX needs more control over it" while it couldn't.
Yes, this will sound like much blahblah, but it really is true.
Also, I hope that it is allowed to refer to my own words very similar to these from Mani :

Actually, I'm finding it hard to write anything constructive.

I had the same problem, and said it needs new phenomena to decribe music experience. All we know of, does not work anymore. Today I still have this problem myself. But what it does, and this was the current subject, is that it tells you where to be when something doesn't sound right - or urges for more. It is really strange, and so far it always led me to where to be (well, looking at how the solutions concerned worked out indeed).

And so, this main part is about the OS which needs to be tweaked far more than before. Something like : before (original NOS1) the DAC could mask quite some, but today (NOS1-USB) there is nothing masked.
On this matter I must notice that during the past month all has been undertaken to improve on the gain stage. I talked about that allright, but this was *before* this last month. So, I saw some lights, and really thought I had to finish that before a first USB would go out, or otherwise it had to be shipped in again, later. Now, that too brought improvements which are hard to describe, but anyway I never talked about them (who cares since all will be new anyway, and I'm exaggerating always of course).

Where was I ? ah, that OS. Yes, I can imagine that without NOS1 too, it will be the biggest improvement ever. But also a maybe dangerous one. At this moment I can't tell whether now for everybody the Q1 etc. won't do a thing anymore, but if it doesn't it means that you will be hearing your DAC way better. Whether that will be a good thing ? I sure hope so. But let's see, because it now won't take ages anymore before it's put up. May still need two weeks or so - we'll see.
Anyway, I'm sure it will be before people start to send out their original NOS1's for upgrading it, so they will be able to judge too. I honestly never did and as a matter of fact I had removed my own "nice old interface" physically removed from my own NOS1 last week. So now I really can't anymore.

Allright. So far for now. Mani, great thanks for all of your efforts, and I'm so glad we could find the culprit just before I went off for another death last night. Very important to me, because

I'll post more thoughts/experiences when I've got anything new to say.

... I know you won't be there this week. So, still something to work out for this one stubborn PC, of which of course there will be more out there. But I will work it out.

Peter

For the Stealth III LPS PC :
W10-14393.0 - July 17, 2021 (2.11)
XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere (also from the PC).

For a general PC :
W10-10586.0 - May 2016 (2.05+)
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.
Removed Switching Supplies from everywhere.

Global Moderator
pedal
Audio Enthusiast

XXHighEnd is THE best buy in Hi-Fi. Thank U Peter!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 02:08:53 pm »

Mani,

It seems being first in the line is a curse, not a blessing, he-he. My condolences.

Thankfully I have my v.1 NOS1 running perfectly at 384, so no hurry in upgrading before the initial problems are solved by Peter.

Hardware: Stealth Mach III > Lush^2 > 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3  > active preamp > 3-way active XO > amps > ribbon/dynamic true line source speakers.

Settings all settings as recommended by Peter by October 2019.
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 03:21:20 pm »

Well if what I experienced into the early hours of the morning was a curse, then sign me up for eternal damnation.

The sound was like nothing I'd ever experienced from ANY replay system ever. Once you've gotten yours upgraded, and running 0.9z-6, you'll understand.

Unfortunately, I can't find the words to do justice to what I've been hearing. It's just utterly, utterly sweet, musical and soooo believable. A BIG step up from the v1 NOS1 and 0.9z-5-2.

Mani

Main System:
Office System:
manisandher
Crazy Audiophile

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 04:12:25 pm »

Oh and I forgot to mention that it took me 15 mins to get everything working perfectly on my second PC. Totally straight forward.

Mani.

Main System:
Office System:
Nick
Audio Addict

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 05:01:51 pm »

Well if what I experienced into the early hours of the morning was a curse, then sign me up for eternal damnation.

The sound was like nothing I'd ever experienced from ANY replay system ever. Once you've gotten yours upgraded, and running 0.9z-6, you'll understand.

Unfortunately, I can't find the words to do justice to what I've been hearing. It's just utterly, utterly sweet, musical and soooo believable. A BIG step up from the v1 NOS1 and 0.9z-5-2.

Mani

Mani,

I guess the learning you and Peter have been through must have been frustrating but may help others.

Great to read about the15 mins installation on your another machine, your post reads like the spell is cast even before the DAC is run in, fantastic news.

Nick.

Audio PC

C621 motherboard, Xeon 40 thread CPU.

w10 14393 RAM OS => XX V2.10 / adaptive mode / XX buffer 4096 / NOS USB driver v 1.02 buffer 16ms / Q1,2,3,4,5 = 10,-,1,1,1 / xQ1 =15 / unattended / SFS 0.69Mb / memory straight continuous / system clock 15.0ms / Threadprio RealTime / Playerprio Low / CPU scheme 3-5 / 16x Arc Prediction / Peak Extend off / Phase alignment off / Phase off  / XTweaks : Balanced Load 35 / Nervous Rate 10 (or15) / Cool when Idle n/a / Provide Stable Power 0 / Utilize Cores always 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability  On =>  Lush USB cable => modified NOS1 USB DAC => no pre amp => Orelo active horn loudspeakers with modified bass channel DSPs.

Music server: X99, Xeon 28 thread PC.

System power two 3kva balanced tranformers with dedicated earth spur.
christoffe01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:11:00 pm »

Oh and I forgot to mention that it took me 15 mins to get everything working perfectly on my second PC. Totally straight forward.

Mani.

Hi Mani,

- the USB port at your PC connected to the NOS1 should be very well selected. See "Device manager/USB controller", there are different values shown (10% / 20%).
- the USB cable has an influence to the SQ to. A normal USB cable is counterproductive to our target for an outstanding SQ. (see USB cables from manuf. Audioquest or Aqvox) On your system you will / must hear the difference.

Joachim

September 02., 2011 (due 0.9z-6)
Plain Windows 7 Prof 64bit on SATAII spinning disk, / Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *512*)/ClockRes = *10ms*/Mixed/SFS = 200/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended (Just Start) /All Services Off + No Running Time / / 4x Arc Prediction Upsampling /-> WEISS Minerva -> main amp
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 12:48:32 pm »

- the USB cable has an influence to the SQ to. A normal USB cable is counterproductive to our target for an outstanding SQ. (see USB cables from manuf. Audioquest or Aqvox) On your system you will / must hear the difference.

I don't think so ...

XXHighEnd Mach III Stealth LPS PC -> Xeon Scalable 14/28 core with Hyperthreading On (set to 14/28 cores in BIOS and set to 10/20 cores via Boot Menu) @~660MHz, 48GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 14393.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/0/0/*1*/ Q1Factor = *4* / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = *10ms* / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = *10.13*  (max 10.13) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / Stop Desktop, Remaining, WASAPI and W10 services / Use Remote Desktop / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD Off (!) / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *62* / Nervous Rate = *1* / Cool when Idle = n.a / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = Optimal / Time Stability = Stable / Custom Filtering *Low* (16x) / Always Clear Proxy before Playback = On -> USB3 from MoBo -> Lush^3
A: W-Y-R-G, B: *W-G* USB 1m00 -> Phisolator 24/768 Phasure NOS1a/G3 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (16ms) -> B'ASS Current Amplifier -> Blaxius*^2.5* A:B-G, B:B-G Interlink -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers. ET^2 Ethernet from Mach III to Music Server PC (RDC Control).

For a general PC :
*XXHighEnd PC -> I7 3930k with Hyperthreading On (12 cores)* @~500MHz, 16GB, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit build 10586.0 from RAM, music on LAN / Engine#4 Adaptive Mode / Q1/-/3/4/5 = 14/-/1/1/1 / Q1Factor = 1 / Dev.Buffer = 4096 / ClockRes = 1ms / Memory = Straight Contiguous / Include Garbage Collect / SFS = 0.10  (max 60) / not Invert / Phase Alignment Off / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Realtime / Scheme = Core 3-5 / Not Switch Processors during Playback = Off/ Playback Drive none (see OS from RAM) / UnAttended (Just Start) / Always Copy to XX Drive (see OS from RAM) / All Services Off / Keep LAN - Not Persist / WallPaper On / OSD On / Running Time Off / Minimize OS / XTweaks : Balanced Load = *43* / Nervous Rate = 1 / Cool when Idle = 1 / Provide Stable Power = 1 / Utilize Cores always = 1 / Time Performance Index = *Optimal* / Time Stability = *Stable* / Custom Filter *Low* 705600 / -> USB3 *from MoBo* -> Clairixa USB 15cm -> Intona Isolator -> Clairixa USB 1m80 -> 24/768 Phasure NOS1a 75B (BNC Out) async USB DAC, Driver v1.0.4b (4ms) -> Blaxius BNC interlink *-> B'ASS Current Amplifier /w Level4 -> Blaxius Interlink* -> Orelo MKII Active Open Baffle Horn Speakers.

Global Moderator
christoffe01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 12:58:43 pm »

I don't think so ...

Hi Peter,

there was a test in a HiFi magazine (einsnull - 4/2011) and they hear  differences. In our systems you will hear a "fly walking on the window".

Please test, such a 1m cable costs around €150,00.

Joachim

Plain Windows 7 Prof 64bit on SATAII spinning disk, / Engine#4 *Adaptive Mode* / Q1/2/3/4/5 = *6*/0/0/0/0 (Dev.Buffer = *512*)/ClockRes = *10ms*/Mixed/SFS = 200/not Invert / Playerprio = Low / ThreadPrio = Real Time / Scheme = 3 @ UnAttended (Just Start) /All Services Off + No Running Time / / 4x Arc Prediction Upsampling /-> WEISS Minerva -> main amp
PeterSt
Administrator
High Grade Audiophile

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 01:13:30 pm »

Joachim,

We are not talking about a random (async) USB thing. You were addressing Mani and his NOS1-USB. Maybe you recall that it comes from my hand ... haha

If anyone wants to spend 150 (in any currency) on a USB cable, please do so. But I think you can reserve some space on eBay already before it arrived.

About selecting a port with the best free bandwidth ... only true by theory; when there's another device consuming, say, 30%, *that* one will die out. Phasure USB will have the highest priority on the bus.
Btw, don't ask me what will happen with "System 20%", and whether that will be allocated too, in order to next kill something of the system.

Regards,
Peter

For a general PC :

Global Moderator
christoffe01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 02:04:49 pm »

If anyone wants to spend 150 (in any currency) on a USB cable, please do so. But I think you can reserve some space on eBay already before it arrived.

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

there was a test with USB cables, between a Supermarket USB cable and a Kimber USB for € 70,00,  in the "hifi & records" (equivalent to the HiFi plus in the UK) already in issue 4/2009.

Their commentary:
The sound of the cheap cable was grey, thin, harsh sibilants, less fluid, wrong timing etc. (connection between an iMac and a dCS DAC)

My comment:
When there are "losses" within the USB cable between the PC and the NOS1, you will not hear the full potential of the NOS1.
We are spending thousands of Euros for a NOS1 DAC and are giving away .............. .
In our systems we hear the difference of EVERY cable. EVERY!!!!!

My proposal:
You buy a decent USB cable (manuf. Aqvox) for appr. € 150,00, perform a 2-5 hours hearing session, and with a negative result I will buy the USB cable together with the NOS1 upgrade!

Done?

Best

Joachim

christoffe01
Audio Loudspeaker

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 02:43:19 pm »

Joachim,

Regards,
Peter

Hi Peter,

please see

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/entreq/usb.html

best Joachim

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: